Thai Immigration Tightens Requirements For Retirement Visa Extensions

If the Thai government don't want foreigners staying in Thailand, than why they just don't kick them out of the country? They need all there little rules and requirements to make life impossible. Its not a matter if foreigners are going to be kicked out of the country but its a matter of when?

The government like to create chaos in the visa application process so nobody understand the process or is notified. This chaos creates a possibility for the immigration police to abuse there power and ask for the extra "fee" when something is not according the absurd rules and requirements and to straighten it all up again. I guess the circle is closed again!

I think you are right, I sent this topic to a mate. Married to a Thai for the last 20 Years, but he still works outside. Here is his reply, and I agree is it in keeping with human rights.

Quote him (Its no wonder that thai authorities are one step ahead with perfidious wanke_rs like the "swerver" going out of his way to notify the powers that be of possible loop holes, fortunately one can hopefully assume from his letter that he is already on pension and the Expat community can only benefit from his impending exit from the web.

In contrast the thread by Suradit sums it all up -- if the esteemed Members are so cerebrally challenged that they cannot keep their mouths shut on an open forum, they deserve what they get however it is pity that such a shallow gene pool should affect others not addicted to malicious drivel

In summation Assuming the forum has some kind oversight maybe the alledged monitors could be more attentive as to what idiocies they allow to be posted that is -- if they have the interests of the expat communiy at heart -- the operative word is if !!!!! Duh !

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless your lieing to your embassy its a non issue ??

All thats happening here is they want to see that what you claim is reality.. If no ones telling porkies then I see no issue.

Apparently, once again, people from Immigrations have been reading ThaiVisa message boards to find out which loopholes are being exploited. Many times when someone has posed a question on this board about proof of income or meeting the minimums, someone has responded that if you're an American (or someone else whose embassy uses sworn statements) that you can just say anything you want.

Same was true back when people were shifting bank balances around and Immigrations then decided to require money to be in your account for several months. The geniuses posting on TV would brag about how clever they were and that loophole was closed.

Anyway, as someone else said, the financial requirements remain the same, but because of a few dishonest people we will all have to provide more documentation that we meet those requirements.

I don't see the relevance of the comparison of a supposed average Thai salary of Baht 8000 to the Baht 65,000 requirement for retired farang. It may hurt your feelings to face the fact that Thailand is not providing a refugee camp for impoverished farang. We're welcomed here if we are going to spend money to boost the economy. Very sensible. Not sure what other countries are laying out a big welcome for foreign welfare cases.

I completely agree with you Suradit I always have the info with me when I go for my embassy letter and in turn to imigration, if needed I have it. Don't you just love it, not being able to prove you have enough to live in LOS, I am much more concerned about the price spiral going on.

Unless your lieing to your embassy its a non issue ??

All thats happening here is they want to see that what you claim is reality.. If no ones telling porkies then I see no issue.

Apparently, once again, people from Immigrations have been reading ThaiVisa message boards to find out which loopholes are being exploited. Many times when someone has posed a question on this board about proof of income or meeting the minimums, someone has responded that if you're an American (or someone else whose embassy uses sworn statements) that you can just say anything you want.

Same was true back when people were shifting bank balances around and Immigrations then decided to require money to be in your account for several months. The geniuses posting on TV would brag about how clever they were and that loophole was closed.

Anyway, as someone else said, the financial requirements remain the same, but because of a few dishonest people we will all have to provide more documentation that we meet those requirements.

I don't see the relevance of the comparison of a supposed average Thai salary of Baht 8000 to the Baht 65,000 requirement for retired farang. It may hurt your feelings to face the fact that Thailand is not providing a refugee camp for impoverished farang. We're welcomed here if we are going to spend money to boost the economy. Very sensible. Not sure what other countries are laying out a big welcome for foreign welfare cases.

One day those clever people will understand

be honest !!!. why do "falang" come here ? for cheap living and cheap *** if you cant afford to show a pawtry 800,000 baht or you have to lie about income etc you shouldnt be here. make it 8,000,000.00 . keep the cheap charlies out . better for thailand. better for thai people.

"Many expats use other kinds of income other than pension to qualify ... forced to prove their income other ways and/or actually being required to IMPORT their pensions/income for at least some months (which, totally unclear)"

Ok, I'll grant you that-- and agreed that the OP is less than vague with this new scenario. But let's look at the practical issue -- I have always imported funds on a random basis, as needed via ATMs - which is the least expensive way to bring cash into Thailand.

If this new edict is true, you will need to justify 65K brought into Thailand monthly - even if you don't need that amount, or you choose to bring your cash in every 3 months, 6 months, yearly, etc.. The simple minded concept of proving income on a monthly basis is foolish and doesn't make any sense in this day and age.

Would you be looking forward to justifying your existence by trying to describe a complex flow of income into foreign accounts to a Immigration agent with a 6th grade education and an IQ of 70? . . . :D

I share your concerns. If there really is any requirement to IMPORT the full amount of stated pension/income for even a few months (or worse for the entire year) this is a huge red flag, and I continue to assert the required IMPORT part of the OP is potentially HUGE for all retired expats. It all depends on how this shakes out over time, and of course it won't be a big problem or a major inconvenience for all retired expats (though I think it would be for most as people have their different styles of import based on many complex financial factors that are VERY INDIVIDUAL), but if you think for a moment what this trend means in totality (no, I am not going to spell it out for you) again this could be huge.

Also note, do you think immigration policy makers are total idiots? (The policy makers, not talking about the front line officers, no comment on that). Because I don't. If you think the reality of what happens with income letters at the USA embassy, a major country where a lot of retired expats are from, wasn't already well known by immigration for many, many years already before more recent discussion of it on this forum, well I think you are insulting them without evidence.

Also to note, the asking for evidence from SOME nationalities like Americans is not really NEWS as there has been discussion about this happening in Bangkok now for months now and even reports of it happening and reports of the officers telling applicants you better have it next year. So really not news! I realize most people don't read and post to this forum as often as I do, but trust me on this, or search the forum if you don't believe me.

The potentially big news that is really news in the sense of NEW information -- IMPORTATION requirements.

Edited by Jingthing

There's no need to post it up in large, bold, underlined sentences. It's your theory and you're entitled to it, but don't think that posting it up in neon makes it anything more than an assumption on your part.

I think its quite ridiculous to assume that the Thaivisa forum is responsible for policy changes of Thailand's Immigration department. Income checks have been going on for a long while and even the embassies are aware of it. By making this assumption you're also assuming that Thai Immigration officials are stupid and can't think for themselves i.e. they need help from this forum.

If you took the time to read the OP carefully you would realize it's nothing more than a knee jerk reaction to reports of what has been going on for a long while.

US citizens are required to report all bank accounts in excess of $10,000 (300,000 bt) to the US govt yearly. The penalty for not reporting is obscene, 50% of the account value or $100,000 per account. I assume they assume anyone with over 10,000 is laundering. That is why I, as an American, am not interested in triggering this report. The US govt is trying to get banks all over the world to report US citizens holdings over $10,000 to them.

So divide it between banks - it doen't have to be in the same account or even bank, just has to be here (for lump sum). No account over $10k, no worries. Seems too obvious, am I missing something???

be honest !!!. why do "falang" come here ? for cheap living and cheap *** if you cant afford to show a pawtry 800,000 baht or you have to lie about income etc you shouldnt be here. make it 8,000,000.00 . keep the cheap charlies out . better for thailand. better for thai people.

You would happily put 8m baht in an account here with zero interest (no ROI)? No one so wealthy, that wants to stay that way, would make such a stupid investment. All it would do would push people over to back-to-back tourist visas.

The best way to go for Thailand, would be to expect a modest income (20k say) AND a compulsory repatriation and medical emergency insurance so you can be sent home rather than becoming a burden to the state (would also bring in 7% on the tax from the policies as opposed to zero % tax on zero interest on silly lump sum requiremnents). However, Thai immigration laws have never been about logic.

I'm sorry to hear that your are getting paid no interest on your bank account in Thailand. The two savings account I have in Thailand, with two different banks, do pay interest. At the moment it is 0.75%, which is double the 0.375% I got on my Swiss savings account last year. It's all relative, of course; in many other countries, interest rates may be higher than in Thailand.

"If you think the reality of what happens with income letters at the USA embassy ... wasn't already well known by immigration for many, many years"

My question would be - Is it really a big problem? How many U.S. citizens do you think become a burden on Thai national resources in any given year? My guess would be probably zero!

So, is this nonsense based on any real problem? -- or just the Thai Immigration bureaucracy trying to find a new way to harass and meddle in the private financial affairs of retired Farangs?

Much like the basic Thai curiosity with foreigners that we see every day: - "Where you go?" - "Where you been?" - "How much money you make?"

Why is it diffcult to meet the requirements of obtaining a retirement extension of stay a few hours at most to put together your documents. I donot think any country in the world allows anyone to march in and set up house keeping without the ability to support themselves.

Try any of the European countries.

You will get free lodging, food and 20k monthly pocket money to survive, simply ask for asylum.

You don't need to be over 50 neither to qualify.

It might take up to 18 months before they decide you have to go (if they can find you, no 90 days reporting)

Several countries chartered a plane together recently to send a bunch of Africans home, seems it has been 10 years before they did something that dare-full.

Didn't some Thai authorities pushed back some Rohinga motor-less boat into the sea last year?

Sure civilized countries like Europe can't do that.

You are applying a totally different situation to what is being discussed

er, um, Thailand isn't a member of the EU last I looked. Are you saying you should be given similar rights that you get in the EU? That is a laugh.

Where have I stated Thailand is a member of the EU???

< comment removed >

The EU is far more advanced (and that's an understatement) than ASEAN in this respect.

Why do retirees only get a one year extension, why do they need to show year by year they have the most probably SAME income, why the 90 days reporting,etc etc

I believe he is refering to you introducing EU policies on asylum seekers into a thread on proof of retirement income in Thailand.

You should start a new thread on EU policies of asylum seekers if it is that important to you

This thread has been read over 25,000 times and has received nearly 300 replies and contain little more than rumours, speculation, what-ifs with a sprinkling of flaming and of course no new facts or official information.

Am I the only one who thinks this thread has become a self perpetuating doomsday scenario?

As chicken little said The sky is falling

This thread has been read over 25,000 times and has received nearly 300 replies and contain little more than rumours, speculation, what-ifs with a sprinkling of flaming and of course no new facts or official information.

Am I the only one who thinks this thread has become a self perpetuating doomsday scenario?

SKYNET has become self aware!shock1.gif

I just don't get all the winging about tying up 800,000 - it's a very modest sum to be allowed to retire here - and yields in most country's are very low anyway so you are not losing very much interest.

Put the 800,000 in Bangkok Banks new 3% 15 month savings account and forget it.

My bad.

In my defense, I rarely if ever pay attention to a headline these days. Having written a few articles for magazines from time to time, I've noticed that the headline bears little or no resemblance to the actual content of the article.

Knock yourselves out guys - whip yourselves up into a lather.

I find your "defense" weak. The issue of importation was mentioned numerous times before directly to you and you just ignored it; you seemed bent on your seemingly morally judgmental point of view without actually even learning the facts about the content of the OP. I am also guessing you personally aren't an American with pension income who hasn't the foggiest idea now if he has to IMPORT any, two months, or ALL of his pension INTO Thailand, or not. I'm not either but I relate to them. If you think that isn't a big deal, well obviously it isn't to YOU.

Oh Jingers, I don't believe the forum rules state anywhere I have to read 12 pages of chicken little 'the sky is falling, damn them stupid Thai's' before I decide to make a comment on what is the OP.

As for moral judgements, I believe as a Thai taxpayer, citizen and voter, I have the absolute moral - nay democratic - right to view my thoughts on who comes to Thailand, how they come and under what circumstances they are allowed in.

But, if you struggle with that concept, tough titties, I ain't going to hide in the corner like some wallflower.

But just to be clear: I have no problem with pensioners coming to live in Thailand. I have no problem if they meet the financial requirement (nor while we are at it do I have any problem with easier rights for spouses and family members for automatic work rights and a clear, predictable path to residency and ultimately citizenship).

But this thread isn't about that ultimately. It is about a bunch of people scared that they aren't going to be able to 'game' the system.

The rest is just noise.

er, um, Thailand isn't a member of the EU last I looked. Are you saying you should be given similar rights that you get in the EU? That is a laugh.

Where have I stated Thailand is a member of the EU???

< comment removed >

The EU is far more advanced (and that's an understatement) than ASEAN in this respect.

Why do retirees only get a one year extension, why do they need to show year by year they have the most probably SAME income, why the 90 days reporting,etc etc

I believe he is refering to you introducing EU policies on asylum seekers into a thread on proof of retirement income in Thailand.

You should start a new thread on EU policies of asylum seekers if it is that important to you

Good spot.

I'm not really sure why he did this, but i really don't think tartempion knows what he is on about anyway....

Why? There is nearly nothing in this "news":

1- Some American and Australian are lying about their income, then all American and Australian must now prove their income at Immigration. Ok, but it nothing new. We have reports on that for several months already. American and Australian just have to blame their compatriots, not Immigration.

2- Pension must be transfer in Thailand. A pure rumor without any fundament/proof. Just sensationalism press. :annoyed:

US citizens are required to report all bank accounts in excess of $10,000 (300,000 bt) to the US govt yearly. The penalty for not reporting is obscene, 50% of the account value or $100,000 per account. I assume they assume anyone with over 10,000 is laundering. That is why I, as an American, am not interested in triggering this report. The US govt is trying to get banks all over the world to report US citizens holdings over $10,000 to them.

So divide it between banks - it doen't have to be in the same account or even bank, just has to be here (for lump sum). No account over $10k, no worries. Seems too obvious, am I missing something???

You're missing the boat, mate. Your trick doesn't cut it. The rule is over 10K USD for even one moment of the SUM of ALL your accounts in a reporting year.

Interesting responses to this revelation. Any US citizen (or AU/GB?) considering providing an income affidavit to Immigration without being able to prove it on demand was taking a risk. In my case, the USD has fallen enough in the last two years to put my pension (such as it is) below the 65K limit. I've had 800K in the bank here at one point, but have heard one scare story about money just disappearing from accounts. I got a shoulder-shrug from a Bangkok Bank rep. when I asked about account deposit insurance. I could have easily met the 800K deposit requirement, but what kind of ROI would it have earned? So, because of the retirement visa requirements, I've decided to push double-entry tourist visas to the limit.

Here are a few questions I hope can be answered by someone on the forum:

1) There was mention of a 'hybrid' bank account balance and monthly income arrangement. I had hypothesized that such a compromise provision might exist but had not asked Immigration on my visit researching the retirement visa. Does anyone have the details of this ... or is it back to Immigration with this one?

2) There was mention of a 'qualifying period' for the 800K on deposit. Does anyone know what the period is? I had a German citizen on the 800K deposit plan note that Immigration had somehow detected an emergency withdrawal that put the balance just below the 800K amount and he heard from them.

3) Does anyone believe that if the Thai average income is 8000/month, that has any bearing on what monthly amount they've 'decided' to extract from farangs? I would hypothesize that it's an inverse relationship ... if you know what I mean.

4) Does anyone know what the weather is like in Cebu, Philippines these days?

Thanks In Advance,

Max

1) The sum 65.000 comes from 800.000 divided by 12, but to require 66.666 would be silly, hence the sum of 65.000 If you have proof of 40.000 per month you will need 320.000 in the bank. The trick is to make up a total yearly income of 800.000

2) The 800k must be in a Thai bank 3 months before you ask for extension of your retirement visa. If you apply for a retirement visa, meaning the first time, 2 months is required.

3) The whole idea with the 65k limit is to ensure that you can support yourself and not be a burden to Thailand. I doubt what somebody stated that the 65k does NOT need to be brought into Thailand. This does not make sense

4) Google it!!

Yeah but this whole scheme gets totally FUBARed as soon as the US$ get crushed. It was my understanding that prior to the 1997 economic crisis, the baht was pegged 25:1 to the dollar and the amount needed for a retirement visa was significantly less. I keep bringing this situation up with my wife, because I forsee a day when the USD goes under 20B to the $ and the Thai government starts to invite married foreigners to leave Thailand along with leaving their wives and families who the foreigner has supported while the foreign currencies were strong. It will be an interesting day when the Thai bureaucracy shows their true Buddhist compassion by kicking out of the country the vast majority people who have helped support so many families by bringing their own money over from their foreign country to support their extended families as they also support this economy. That should be great -- bureaucratically enforced divorce based on the whims and speculation in the currency and FX markets. "Thanks for bringing over the money when we really needed it, but now get the he*l out of Thailand because your Central Bank has just destroyed your currency. But wait! Wouldn't it be the compassionate thing to do to lower the financial requirement to pre-1997 level if the dollar hits 25 Baht/1$? But it seems the worst the exchange rate gets, the more Immigration tightens the requirements. Maybe I should find a gig in Cambodia. I can't find a mia noi anymore because I'm too old :lol:

Why? There is nearly nothing in this "news":

1- Some American and Australian are lying about their income, then all American and Australian must now prove their income at Immigration. Ok, but it nothing new. We have reports on that for several months already. American and Australian just have to blame their compatriots, not Immigration.

2- Pension must be transfer in Thailand. A pure rumor without any fundament/proof. Just sensationalism press. :annoyed:

Agreed on point 1. On point two, I sure hope you are right! But we don't know that now. If you are wrong, this is in no way nothing news with little impact.

My bad.

In my defense, I rarely if ever pay attention to a headline these days. Having written a few articles for magazines from time to time, I've noticed that the headline bears little or no resemblance to the actual content of the article.

Knock yourselves out guys - whip yourselves up into a lather.

I find your "defense" weak. The issue of importation was mentioned numerous times before directly to you and you just ignored it; you seemed bent on your seemingly morally judgmental point of view without actually even learning the facts about the content of the OP. I am also guessing you personally aren't an American with pension income who hasn't the foggiest idea now if he has to IMPORT any, two months, or ALL of his pension INTO Thailand, or not. I'm not either but I relate to them. If you think that isn't a big deal, well obviously it isn't to YOU.

Oh Jingers, I don't believe the forum rules state anywhere I have to read 12 pages of chicken little 'the sky is falling, dam_n them stupid Thai's' before I decide to make a comment on what is the OP.

As for moral judgements, I believe as a Thai taxpayer, citizen and voter, I have the absolute moral - nay democratic - right to view my thoughts on who comes to Thailand, how they come and under what circumstances they are allowed in.

But, if you struggle with that concept, tough titties, I ain't going to hide in the corner like some wallflower.

But just to be clear: I have no problem with pensioners coming to live in Thailand. I have no problem if they meet the financial requirement (nor while we are at it do I have any problem with easier rights for spouses and family members for automatic work rights and a clear, predictable path to residency and ultimately citizenship).

But this thread isn't about that ultimately. It is about a bunch of people scared that they aren't going to be able to 'game' the system.

The rest is just noise.

Agree to disagree. This thread in my view is about the potentially HUGE news that pension/income for those using the pension/income method or the combo MAY now be required to import all of it, perhaps on a monthly basis, perhaps only two months before extension application. Your focus I still think is moral judgment and demonization of abusers of the system. That clearly turns you on as its been a running theme for you. Whatever ...

Edited by Jingthing

"I don't know why retired people don't just transfer 800000 baht like I do - it's relatively simple. Surely they can come up with that amount"

One very good reason is because some retirees have their money working for them in investments in foreign countries.

In the USA, for example, the 800,000 Baht required by Thai Immigration is the equivalent about US$26,500 -- If you liquidate enough of your invested money to satisfy the ridiculous Thai requirement, you'll pay income taxes in your home country on that money. If the retiree is in the 20% tax bracket, you'll pay $5300 to your home government for the "privilege" of meeting the Thai income requirement. In addition, if that invested money is earning 5% annually in interest or dividend yield, you forfeit $1325 per year in income, due to being forced to liquidate your investment.

Now, do you understand "why retired people don't just transfer 800000 baht like I do"? -- How would you feel about being forced to pay US$5300 ( 160,000 Baht! ) to transfer your 800K to Thailand?

HEAR HEAR !! This is the reason I will not make such a transfer.

Edited by popshirt

Agree to disagree. This thread in my view is about the potentially HUGE news that pension/income for those using the pension/income method or the combo MAY now be required to import all of it, perhaps on a monthly basis, perhaps only two months before extension application. Your focus I still think is moral judgment and demonization of abusers of the system. That clearly turns you on as its been a running theme for you. Whatever ...

What should we say to people scamming the system then? "Oh, there's a good chap, sorry about the change of rules old chum..."

It isn't as if they are making life easier for others who do play by the rules.

Edited by samran

What should we say to people scamming the system then? "Oh, there's a good chap, sorry about the change of rules old chum..."

No. Personally, I think you are focusing on a general issue, people scamming the system, and are basically clearly not even really interested in the brass tacks potential problems created for bona fide law abiding expats by this possible change. To me, the visa forum is about helping expats navigate the system with practical information (sadly on the OP topic we have very little of that!), not harping on abusers and criminals. They will always be with us but I feel focusing on that part is tangential to the topic of the thread. Not suggesting you stop, not my role to do so, but doesn't change the way I feel about it.

Edited by Jingthing

And what should we say to the many pensioners from Australia who are not scamminbg the system. Who have to make a personal trip to Bankok to make the statemet. A statement which may be made without proof as most people of retirement age in Australia are entitled to a pension from the government.. (Unlike those from the US or Russia or many other countries.

I made a choice to purchase assets here which will make the my last days in a country which I love more comfortable. I do not really want to have to sell these so I can have the money sit in a bank not adding to my comfort.

And what should we say to the many pensioners from Australia who are not scamminbg the system. Who have to make a personal trip to Bankok to make the statemet. A statement which may be made without proof as most people of retirement age in Australia are entitled to a pension from the government.. (Unlike those from the US or Russia or many other countries.

I made a choice to purchase assets here which will make the my last days in a country which I love more comfortable. I do not really want to have to sell these so I can have the money sit in a bank not adding to my comfort.

I'd say if you aren't scamming the system you've got nothing to worry about. Presumably you already need to travel to BKK already to make a stat dec to the Embassy to get your proof of income letter? What has changed?

3) The whole idea with the 65k limit is to ensure that you can support yourself and not be a burden to Thailand. I doubt what somebody stated that the 65k does NOT need to be brought into Thailand. This does not make sense

I am not sure if you are saying here that you doubt that pension/income qualifying income DOES or DOES not need to be imported into Thailand. I read your comment as you think it has always been required to be imported.

I can say with 100 percent certainty, I would bet the house on it, that up until this perhaps dubious OP "announcement" claimed income/pension monies for those using the pension/income method or the combo method for retirement extensions WAS NOT REQUIRED to be imported into Thailand. Not even one baht. Is that clear enough for anyone who is confused about this?

Now indeed some offices have asked non-800K banked retirees to produce bank books with some balance before and sometimes applicants have been asked to provide further evidence of their income than embassy letters, but NEVER (before?) has there been an official immigration policy requiring IMPORT of pension/funds. If this is the beginning of that (hope not), this would be a major shakeup, shakeout, what have you, as many expats will have problems with immigration micromanaging their money flow. Of course if it only hits Americans a few other nationalities, and the import thingie is only for two months prior to application, then the shakeup would be much more limited.

Pension/Income Funds Import

Not

Required

Now, after this announcement, is this changing somewhat or more than somewhat for retirees of some nationalities? Bottom line, we'd be fools to be confident anything has changed based on the OP, but we'd also be fools to assume it isn't possible the news MIGHT reflect a real change. On that issue, I'd make no big bets yet.

Edited by Jingthing

Just to add a touch of reality to this thread or at least bring it back to the OP.

I am from the UK, my embassy requires proof of my income if I want a letter from them, physical documentation which I am more than happy with given that I have no wish to cheat the system. Yesterday armed with my embassy letter and the other relevant documents my annual renewal of my retirement extension took all of 20 minutes at Hua Hin and this included a re-entry permit too. The officer was very pleasant and efficient he did not ask for any additional proof of income. If he had I would of course have supplied the same documents I sent to the embassy.

Personally I would be happy to provide these documents directly to Immigration and save myself 2540 Baht for the embassy letter! If as the Op suggests this action reflects a slight change in procedure, well it hasn't reached Hua Hin yet, or at least not for a Brit, can't say whether the same would apply to a citizen whose embassy is less rigorous. At the end of the day the actual rules regarding income for a retirement extension are very clear and you either meet them or you don't. In my opinion if you don't you shouldn't be here or at least you should be on the correct class of visa/extension.