Dual Citizenship

i need some help and information

i was born in germany and i am 24 now

my mom is thai and my dad is german

my question is:

what i have to do to get dual citizenship????

i know that the dual citizenship is tolerate in thailand

but i am not sure if its tolerate here in germany

i search in some page´s where it explained but not clearly

thanks for help

sunny4579, Germany does not accept dual-citizenship. Offficially, you should have declared at age of 18 your preference, either German or Thai.

You might be aware of the Turkey-nationals, born in Germany in 2nd generation. They could become Germans, but only when giving up the Turkish nationality, which in turn is not allowed to do under Turkey-laws. Catch 22.

If you are holding presently a German ID-card and/or passport this is ok, however, whenever applying for a new passport you have to reply the question wether or not you have or had another nationality. If you reply with 'Nein', you give a false statement.

If you live permanently in Germany, probably did national service (BW or Ersatzdienst), speak the language and have an income taxable under German law, you should be ok.

For Thailand, Dr. P-P is right, check with the Embassy. Thailand, alledgedly is more tolerant, however, if you would live in Thailand you would have to face the question of military service.

My daughter was German by birth, although born outside of Germany. She became Swiss as young schoolgirl. At age of 16 she went to the German consulate to update her passport (after 10 years or so) and was adviced that by living in Switzerland, having not shown any interest in Germany she will not get a passport. Believe she signed a paper to release her, as she was told, with 18 you decide anyway. I checked it 2 years ago, inofficially, with the German embassy. She can become German, but by not living there has to show her strong interest and if finally accepted, would have to give up the Swiss one.

Hope this helps a bit.

i need some help and information

i was born in germany and i am 24 now

my mom is thai and my dad is german

my question is:

what i have to do to get dual citizenship????

i know that the dual citizenship is tolerate in thailand

but i am not sure if its tolerate here in germany

i search in some page´s where it explained but not clearly

thanks for help

sunny

as Axel said, Germany does not allow dual citizenship.

if you plan to spend most of your time in Germany, stick with the German nationality otherwise get the Thai nationality by reason of having a Thai parent.

if you want to keep your German nationality, register with the Thai embassy in Berlin as a 'person born to a Thai parent'. This does not give you Thai citizenship but will make it easier for you to obtain visas for Thailand and even work permits, because in the eyes of the Thai authorities you are a Thai even if you do not hold a Thai passport. Of course there are limits (land ownership, voting rights etc.) but Thai immigration is very open minded when it comes to a person born to a Thai parent.

may I suggest that you keep a copy of your birth certificate in English or Thai, stating that your mother is a Thai national, stapled in your German passport when you visit Thailand?

Edited by george