Getting To Mukdahan

irishken

Hi all

hope someone can give me some advice on a quicker way to get to mukdahan from kuala lumpar. i got some great priced flights in malaysian airlines from uk to kl in there sale but now i need to get to mukdahan . at the moment my plan is fly to bkk with airasia and then a bus to mukdahan.

1)is there any flights from kl to isaan

2)or best place to fly from bkk to airport near mukdahan

thanks for any help

Nok Air has fleights 5 x a week to Nakhon Phanom and Sakhon Nakhon look at their time table departure from bkk don muang airport.

or take the vip neight bus from bkk to nakhon phanom, but mostly have to buy the ticket the day before or else sold out.

have anice trip, dont hurry

Can also fly Bkk. to Khon Kaen,then bus to Muk. or 1st class bus from Morchit to Muk. From memory( that is a worry) I think about a 21.00 departure. A few years since I did that trip, there may even be a VIP bus ,now. Or train to Khon Kaen, then bus to Muk.

thanks for that .have a few options now,just the waiting times in the airport are the problems as they are evening flights and i just miss all the morning flights out .at the moment its looking like a flight to udon thani, then a bus to mukdahan . nok air only give the flight times for a few months so cant check if they put on more flights in january when its peak seaon

Or KL to Vientianne (Laos), cheap express bus to Savannakhet (Laos) and bus through the border to Mukdahan. One flight, a 5 hour bus trip and a one hour bridge/border crossing. Only makes sense if there is a direct flight from KL to Vientianne (as I surmise there will be) and if that makes it significantly cheaper than two flights into and within Thailand.

The list of options grows!

The Phuket to Ubon Ratchathani or BKK to Ubon Ratchathani flights would be with Air Asia by the way if you chose that route (or Nok AIr if you wanted to trudge accross from Suvaranbpum to Don Meuang in the case of the BKK flights - or one mid PM expensive flight from Suvarnabpum to Ubon with Thai Airways). Ubon airport is a 100 baht tuk tuk/taxi ride to the bus station and a car from Ubon airport to Mukdahan would probably be about 1500 baht (but clearly the hotel bus reported by a poster above is worth investigating. Nakhon Phanom airport is slightly closer to Mukdahan than Ubon, but the flights are less frequent and probably more expensive (don't rely on that last guess of mine) and the airport in NP is well out of town.

Khon Kaen, Sakhon Makhon and Udon Thani are further away from Mukdahan and at least two of those routes involve that trudge from one BKK airport to the other (allow an hour and 350 baht taxi outside rush hour unless you want to shave costs by taking the City Express light rail from Suvarnabpum airport to Phayathai BTS station, then a taxi to Don Meuang airport). Unless you have time and can get a cheaper combination of flights to one of those 3 places, I would discount them.

This was a two minute posting when I started it!!

Edited by SantiSuk

All of the options above are good ones and they do have a daily flight from KL to Vientianne with AA.

I would suggest going to Ubon as you have a better chance of a quicker connection as they have more flights per day then the other options mentioned.

Another option is to fly to Savanakhet from Bangkok with Laos Air. Then you are just across the river and just one border crossing away.

Be mindful, that the bus, the last time I used it , U.R. / Muk/ U.R was a crappy old , stop all stations green 3rd class rattle trap.Very slow to boot.and most uncomfortable. If cost ,is not a constraint, it sounds nice to fly from BKk. to Sawannakhet, And then just cross the river. After paying for a Laos visa. On top of 2 Thai visas.

Be mindful, that the bus, the last time I used it , U.R. / Muk/ U.R was a crappy old , stop all stations green 3rd class rattle trap.Very slow to boot.and most uncomfortable. If cost ,is not a constraint, it sounds nice to fly from BKk. to Sawannakhet, And then just cross the river. After paying for a Laos visa. On top of 2 Thai visas.

i

Yellow bus are brand spanking new with and 34 seater buses inc WC drinks etc.

Checkout:

http://www.iloveyellowbus.com/services.html

Yes,I am well aware of the yellow buses. Sadly they do not run U.R. /Muk./ U.R..They mainly are Muk. to Pattaya ,etc..Do NOT go via U.R.. There is another bus company (mainly Green and Blue colour buses) that run U.R. to Pattaya.But do NOT go via Muk..

Edited by afarang

I am from that way (Muk Muk)

. You can fly from KL with Air Asia to Vientiane and then fly or bus to Savankhet.

Or, you can fly from BKK to Savanahet with Laos Air and then cross the border into Muk.

or get the bus from Mo Chit to Muk Muk... a long way and not recommended.

The Ploy Palace hotel in Mukdahan has a mini bus pick up service from Ubon Ratchatani to the hotel.

You don't need to be staying in the hotel to use the service, if I remember correctly it costs 300 Baht one way.

I can recommend it.

The hotel phone number is +6642631111

Craighj

.......Khon Kaen, Sakhon Nakhon and Udon Thani are further away from Mukdahan .....

Sorry - I checked the map this AM and I was talking out of my bottom last night. KK is about the same distance as Ubon from Mukdahan and Sakhon Nakhon is notably near to Mukdahan. Ubon may not necessarily be the best option. You are going to need a spreadsheet!

I have a horrible feeling the crappy old bus from Muk to Ubon, originates in Sakhon Nakorn, so ,it goes S.K.= Muk= U.R..I feel the o.p's best bet is to fly to Khon Kaen, then a good quality bus to Muk. They used to run 1st Class, not 3rd, as from S.K. and U.R., unless there has been a substantial upgrade. And I mean substantial. 55555555

thanks all for your info.i already taught of flying to laos but air asia have no flights on the day i get there. but flying to phuket then to somewhere in isaan is a good idea. looks like it would have to be udon thani then my wifes family could collect us(well thats what she says anyway). the flight to ubon ratchathani will have left phuket before i get there.

thanks all

One thing many have failed to mention is going via Savanaket you would only get a 15 day land crossing visa. Udon Thani is about 290 KM to Mukdahan while Ubon is less than 200. The Ploy Palace does have an Ubon Mini-van for about 250-300B. Khon Kean is closer by about 40 KM  than Udon Thani And they are the Air Con buses as well.

Edited by lockman