Neeranam

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do they speak Catalan in Santiago?

Interesting point. According to Wikipedia, everyone in Barcelona can speak Spanish but around 75% of the population can also speak Catalan and 47% of them can read it. Seems strange to me that they also say that 99% can understand it, so I would have thought a higher percentage could also speak it.

Do they speak Catalan in Santiago?

Interesting point. According to Wikipedia, everyone in Barcelona can speak Spanish but around 75% of the population can also speak Catalan and 47% of them can read it. Seems strange to me that they also say that 99% can understand it, so I would have thought a higher percentage could also speak it.

Neeraram's question was very smart and absolutely correct.

"Today, Catalan is the language of the Catalan autonomous government and the other public institutions that fall under its jurisdiction. Basic public education is given in Catalan other than two hours per week of Spanish medium instruction. Businesses are required to display all information (e.g. menus, posters) in Catalan under penalty of legal fines; there is no obligation to display this information in either Aranese or Spanish. The use of fines was introduced in a 1997 linguistic law that aims to increase the use of Catalan."

From wikipedia

LaoPo

Sorry for the delay, gotta subscribe to this topic...not Chiang Mai and not Singapore, but Singapore is significantly closer still...the building shown is one of the city's top historic attractions. Also, its architecture is unique in that it combines one colonial style with (I believe several) styles indigenous to the country it's in.