How Can A Bar Make Money From Events/

terrychris

I come across several bars having event days,such as Bastille day etc with free croissants and low price french wines.

How do bars make money from event type functions/parties if they are giving away free food/

Also if they are having a wine and cheese night how do they stop me from going in and ordering a soft drink for 40b and eating all their cheese.

Do any bars charge a door entry fee on party nights.

i want to know as i want to open up a bar myself eventually.

"wine and cheese"

That kinda explains that one. But seriously these events are advertising loss leaders you probably won't make money from the night but will attract more customers (that's the hope)

Also some of these events are actually sponsored by your suppliers. Say some one comes to you with a new brand, you ok. lets see how my customers react if its good i will buy x amount if its ok i will buy z amount. If its crap thanks but no thanks.

Edited by thaicbr

You obviously haven't heard the wise saying about making a small fortune in Thailand. Answer; start with a large one.

Given the huge number of bars in Pattaya, and the large number for sale or rent, you might want to do some extensive research before buying/ renting.

There was an interesting thread with some guy that had bought a bar/ hotel a while ago if you want to check the archives.

To answer your question, I don't think any bars in Pattaya have an "entry fee" for anything, but people that just turn up to eat free food and don't spend any or much in the bar are known as "balloon chasers" and are pretty much despised.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

In the real world an event has a cost overhead but is recognised as a long term benefit used to market and draw people in the door, then the great customer service and atmosphere keeps people coming back.

In Thailand the benefit of spending to get a longer term return is alien where the mantra is to claw every Satang profit regardless if you loose customers as a result. (IME from being on the receiving end of dire customer service)

Also Pattaya has a mixture of locally based regulars but many transient holiday makers, why give good service to tourists "..'cos you will never see them again..", add the issue of taking staff-churn into account. Many bar bosses will be happy if the staff stay long enough to take the right drink to the right person and not rip them off too much.

That said I can think of two bars that understood these ideas and (last time I saw them) were doing well, were maintaining a name as a fun place to go with plenty of customers. But the surrounding (quieter) bars' were not willing to spend the effort in training staff.

As for the balloon chasers: Teach your future staff that all guests spending 40 Baht get the default small plate of rice and a bit of fatty meat and a cube of pineapple. If they are spending money and buying drinks for "staff" (if that is the type of staff you have) then the customers get refills, common sense?

Thanks Giuys,especially you Cuban,you seem to know what your talking about.

My ideal bar to purchase will be a double or 3 unit shophouse.

I have to study business more I think,Im thinking wine and cheese nights will maybe draw in some crowd,but yes what happens if all the balloon chasers come.

I would have a Bastille day with croissants and cheese but obviously if your spending say 10,000 b on buying food and you get b/chasers then you dont make money.

Event Days should actually just be an added bonus. Your bar has to be a place where people want to hang out on a regular basis and bring their friends (and their enemies).

You, as owner/publican (or manager) have to be approachable and on hand at all times. I have been to bars where you are lucky if the "boss" turns up on a Friday night - that's OK if your staff are really good or your customer base is friendly to strangers - but you are the one that has to break the ice with the new person(s).

You or your manager has to remember everyones name (impossible) - if you ever hear "good" bar staff talking it will be along the lines of "You know the guy that drinks Leo and comes in around 7 well........." and guess what; that doesn't happen here except in exceptional circumstances - most staff will ask the same customer EVERY day what he wants to drink when he never has anything but Leo!!

Me - been in the bar trade a dam_n long time and I won't hang out in a bar here or anywhere else where 1. I am not acknowledged (and I don't mean fawned over, I mean a hello or a head nod) 2. I get asked every time what I want to drink (not if it is a new staff member, of course) 3. Everyone is looking into their beer glass

Event Days are great - look how many bars have birthdays - but as I said its an added bonus to get other people aware of your bar. IMO get it right first and then start having some special event.

To answer your question, I don't think any bars in Pattaya have an "entry fee" for anything.

Bars like Jade house and Kineree charge a fee, the fee at Jade you get back in drinks, I think its 200 baht, Harleigh bar in soi 17 does the same now as well, I think this is a reasonable way to do things and fair for both the customer and the bar as it will allow the bar to survive and keep holding these events.

Jade House and Kinaree are bars? No wonder I can't find 'em in the bloody Yellow Pages!

I have been to Jade House a couple of times. I think it was like 200baht for a barbecue. I think you get a free drink with that as well.

Interesting place for a change of pace.

Mate no offence but if you are asking questions like this and are planning to open a bar - I would strongly suggest that you think of some other master plan, many falangs come here thinking as you do and end up loosing money as they find out that running a bar is more challenging than they imagined - give it a miss

Events are all well and good but they are treated by the staff as "specials" like birthdays, you need to watch a profitable bar operating to see that the staff are drilled to make money for the bar and not focusing on their 50 Baht kickback for a bar-fine and their personal fee.

Watch how The Atlantic Bar runs on Soi 2 near Big C, the focus is on selling, selling and selling. And this is down to choosing staff who seek that type of work.

The other place I was thinking about is on Soi 2 I think, that holds afternoon staff meetings every day at about 4-5pm, if it's still there. I've not been in town for about a year.

The other factors are location and customers. There used to be a great little shop house bar I visited for lunch and an afternoon film, at night it switched modes into a typical "bar", but the guys that ran it understood that the day trade was different from the night trade so changed the style and music level and the dress code of the staff. Really a no-brainer but the number of places that assume that what works at night must work at midday, then find it fails so just close till 5pm are loosing 7 hours of trading for small staff and electric overheads.

But like any business your first priority is location. Look at what works nearby you, if you seek to be a noisy bar with high passing foot fall you will be paying high rents in the neon lit areas, otherwise like Jade and Winchester etc. be out in the wilds and build a discreet name. Either way you need to be planning the place via an Excel sheet with plenty of revenue streams to balance the licences and fees.

Before you embark on such a venture - do you know what days you need to close for or when you can not serve alcohol? It's easy to focus on the nice cheese and wine nights and miss the foundations that you need in place before you can serve a beer.

Most "Birthday Parties" are paid for by the Birthday Boy himself. A chance to invite all his friends round, and hopefully "New customers" will use the bar in future.

The Bar benefits for the trade, The guy get Happy Birthday sung to him, and the balloons, inflated that afternoon with the help of a motorcycle exhaust, are all burst.

Yes, bar run promotions are monitored by the staff for balloon chasers, like the Harliegh Bar, Soi 17 (Mentioned above) which has a 3 drink minimum, or you pay a 100 Baht food payment.

Mate no offence but if you are asking questions like this and are planning to open a bar - I would strongly suggest that you think of some other master plan, many falangs come here thinking as you do and end up loosing money as they find out that running a bar is more challenging than they imagined - give it a miss

Probably destroyed his dreams - but the wisest bit of advice so far on this thread in my opinion!!!

Talking about a risky investment - I would just hate to have my money tied up in something whereby you are staring at the door (if it has one) waiting for the next customer to enter to help pay the staff's wages and overheads. It would do my brain in and be so stressful that I cannot see how the risks can justify the means!!

Just my opinion mind you but that's my personal take on this. Good luck to you if you are brave enough to pursue you're dream but 'don't look back in anger' if it goes all 'pear shaped'!!

>....staring at the door waiting for the next customer to enter to help pay the staff's wages and overheads.

If there is money to be made, then everyone will want "their" take, the licensing people, the police, the staff (I'm talking more than just earned salary), but if you control costs there is money to be made.