Busted For Not Carrying Passport

britmaveric

been fined more than four times for not having it. Largest was 2000 baht, smallest was 500. Only happens if I walk alone and only at night, once when I was in the back of a taxi.

Always cross the street now if I see police.

edit: biggest mistake you can make is to talk Thai..always speak English to them!

Edited by OxfordWill

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact is, people just need to cowboy up and carry the damned passport. My immediate circle of friends have more than a hundred years of cumulative time spent in Thailand. Lost and stolen passports in the group: ZERO.

And they all carry their passports with them at all times?

I have been here for more than 7 years, and have never been asked for my passport. And I'd much rather face a small fine sometime in the future, than having to go through the hassle of replacing passport, work permit, visa, etc, etc. The latter is just too expensive and time-consuming.

Yes, they carry at all time as far as I know, as do I even to get a bowl of noodles in front of my residence.

You sound paranoid!

Well worth it because not only do you risk a fine but also the time wasted in getting matters sorted out.

Well, 7 years and counting, and no time wasted so far.

What if the cops won't let you go back to your residence to get your passport? What if the person with your spare keys is out of town for a week? What if the building manger can't be found?

What if they accept a Thai driving licence and a copy of the passport?

And does anyone really want their name brought to the attention of the authorities in a negative context?

You do sound paranoid!

Too many variables... To comply with the law and act competently is the simplest way to go, if you are capable of acting competently at all, that is.

It sounds as if the latter could be a real challenge for you..... :o

Main reason - heat/humdity cause havouc on the document. One day forgot to put it back in the safe and carried it around in my pocket. (completely knackered)

Not once in nearly 10yrs have I been asked for my passport in Thailand apart for immigration at the airport or hotel checkin. Further more never been asked anywhere in the world for said passport, apart from airport/hotel/currency exchange dealings.

To me its insane to carry around a passport. it cost WAAYY too much money to get them replace, time as well all those stamps have to be replaced!

Thialand is one of the few countries I know of that enforce that particular passport rule. It seems to me that a letter to your country of origin's Embassy would find a solution. Most recommend that you NOT carry your original. I wonder if they have worked out some sort of comprimise with the Thai goverment/Police on this matter. If they haven't then they arent worth thier salt! May be worth a Call/Letter

Greg

Holland introduced a law at the beginning of this year that everyone, Dutch and foreigners alike MUST carry id's at all times. So far, as of the beginning of October over 50,000 people have been fined for failing to have identification. 4,000 were children, many were tourists.

I've carried my passport for over three years. Never lost it once. Ditto my wallet. What do you guys get up to that creates such a risk of losing your belongings? :o

I too carry my PP at all times when out and about along with driving permit. I use a water resistant zip-up Velcro closure wallet that sits inside my waistband secured to my belt with a loop. I have more fear of losing it to a burglar if left at home. I have been required to produce my ID to the BiB three times in the past 8 months, all at road check points when driving, so I shall continue to carry it as required by law.

I never carry my passport in Thailand unless I am traveling around in country. I have only been asked once to see my passport by a BIB. I told him (in Thai - so I am not so sure English or Thai language matters a hill of beans) that he must think I am foolish to carry my passport out in the market where it could be stolen. He didn't say a word but waved me on. Because of the wide range of 'fines' mentioned in the thread, 500- 1000 - 2000, it seems to me it is quite arbitrary at best and may be based on what the BIB needs for his bar tab that evening :D

I will continue to go without and risk the so called 'fine' - better to not lose my passport and have a great TiT tale to tell and another thread to start!!! :o

Some points to ponder....to carry passport or not.

I have been asked for PP by police at least 15 times and shown a zerox copy each time of PP. Did not even show the copy of the visa. The one time on a highway check they asked for the original passport and I told them it was locked up at the hotel. No problem yet.

I believe the real reason for PP hassel has nothing to do with PP or copy. If you break a traffic law and are reported then the police in the area are watching for you. They pull you over. They are not going to say you ran a traffic light two kilo back. They are going to shake you down for something. You better make it easy for them. I do recommend speaking English as they may not and they often take the easy way out. Be polite and easy going. You often pay on the spot B200 and off you go. If they offer to have a moto taxie take your ticket to the station then go ahead and pay the taxie and the ticket. Better than the hassel that can await you at the station.

If they can not find anything wrong then they start on PP etc.

Wear and tear on passport can be a factor in not carrying around all the time. I do think about high risk traveling etc and carry accordingly (airport etc).

To replace the US passport you should have a copy of first page and the visa. You will need another ID. Something like $70US and two weeks time unless emergency. A police report or a damaged PP. After recieving PP you will need to visit Thai Immigration to have you visa put in new PP. ALL THIS TAKES TIME AND MONEY. LEAVE THE PP LOCKED UP AT HOME. CARRY A COPY.

No problem yet.

LLL

Main reason - heat/humdity cause havouc on the document. ...

Try a plastic bag with a pressure lock:

passportbagimg06978ta.jpg

To the people who do carry their original passport with them - where do you you keep it?

Front pants pocket.

Cargo shorts pocket:

cargoshortsimg07081fm.jpg

....destroying a document that can be a pain to replace. I've been to Thailand during Songkran (LOVED IT!!). Kept money, cigs, and stuff in zip lock bag, but still got wet....

Of course, I do have photocopies - and digital photographs - of every page of the passport in case it does get stolen, lost or destroyed so that it can be replaced as quickly as possible. But one of the reasons I carry mine is precisely because it is so important - I do not have a safe at home, and I wouldn't want to come home one day and find it stolen by a burglar. So "on my person" is the safest place for it - for me, anyway.

Cargo shorts pocket:

Well.... let's just say acceptable dress differs in Bangkok and Phuket. :o

Actually I wonder how much of the differing experiences of posters, comes down to the way things are done in BKK vs. upcountry... There seems to be a far greater distrust of police and the law, in Phuket, Pattaya, Samui etc. No doubt in those places the police similarly have to cope with far more hassle from the typical shouting ignorant farang (I mean of course the tourists rather than the gentlemen (and ladies) of this forum who happen to be cursed with white skin and big noses :D ).

Are you sure a photo copy will suffice? Can a UK Drivers Licence be proof of ID? If not, i'd sooner risk a 500baht fine, than the hassles that go with losing a Passport, when slightly intoxicated  :o

I believe technically no, but most carry a photocopy of the cover pages of their passport, the later being secured somewhere safe.

So far, a photocopy has been sufficient for any ID checks of encountered which have been few. :D

I've carried my passport for over three years. Never lost it once. Ditto my wallet. What do you guys get up to that creates such a risk of losing your belongings? :o

I too carry my PP at all times when out and about along with driving permit. I use a water resistant zip-up Velcro closure wallet that sits inside my waistband secured to my belt with a loop. I have more fear of losing it to a burglar if left at home. I have been required to produce my ID to the BiB three times in the past 8 months, all at road check points when driving, so I shall continue to carry it as required by law.

I've got one too, a brilliant piece of kit, keeps the passport and cash well safe and out of sight. Very highly reccomended.

This passport topic has popped up a few times before on TV.com, always seems to split into two camps. FWIW I've lived here 28 years, never carried my passport except when travelling internationally. I've been stopped by police for traffic offences several times and at checkpoints in border areas many times, and have never been asked for my passport, only my driver's license. It is my impression that the odds a policeman will want to see your passport are very small. I don't worry about losing my passport (I've lost two since I've been in Thailand), I just prefer carrying as little as possible in my pockets. I don't carry a copy of my passport for the same reason.

BTW I've tried carrying my passport in my front trousers pocket, and it looks ridiculous, and is downright uncomfortable in jeans or any trousers with similar-shaped pockets.. Not that I'd mind looking ridiculous if I thought I was likely to be checked for my passport, but the fact I never have been asked in 28 years means it's pretty hard for me to justify carrying it.

I have been told that if the BiB want to rip you off they confiscate your PP to ensure you turn up to pay the 'fine'. I have never been asked to show PP in 9 years.

Anyway, here's the situation in Italy:

Anyone visiting Italy and wanting to use an internet point, or cafe, will need to take along their passport – and be prepared for a major invasion of their privacy.

Anti-terrorist legislation prompted by the London bombings in July imposes a string of new obligations on the managers of businesses offering the public access to communications. As of this week, they must obtain the identity documents of anyone wishing to access the internet, send a fax or make a telephone call.

Not only that. They must also supply the police with records of the times at which customers enter and leave the premises and which computers or telephones they use.

Owners now need a licence to run an internet point or call shop, and to get one they have to provide detailed information about their business, including a floor plan of the premises.

Andrew Pitt from Liverpool, who runs a combined call shop and internet cafe in Venice said his business had already been hit by the Italian law.

“The problem is that tourists come along without their passports. Today, we have lost at least 15 customers because they didn’t have any identification”, Mr Pitt said.

“About 70% of our customers are American or British and they’re just not used to this sort of thing. ”

An internet point manager in a part of Rome which has a large immigrant population told the daily Corriere della Sera that since the law came into effect about one in five of those entering the premises had refused to provide identification and left. At the city’s biggest internet point, a spokesman was quoted as saying he had lost Italian customers too.

Are they your legs RDN :o:D

I'm not saying! (Are you gay? :D )

Well i've been told i'm a very "jolly" fellow in the past.

Cambridge Dictionary meaning:

Definition

gay (HAPPY) adjective OLD-FASHIONED

1 happy: We had a gay old time down at the dance hall.

2 If a place is gay, it is bright and attractive: The streets were gay and full of people.

:D:D

What I would like to know is why doesn't immigration offer some sort of id for those of us that have work permits. They put the stamp in the back of your passport identifying this fact.

Surely for a fee they could provide us with a photo id. Have they not thought of this idea. It would be worth millions of baht a year I would think?

I don't carry my PP or WP with me except when travelling throughout Thailand.

It is not practical to go out in the rain to meetings etc. with a plastic back stuck in my back pocket.

When I was travelling here for a few weeks at a time I didn't really mind carrying the PP with me (for my own piece of mind), but living and working here day to day it seems a bit over the top.

I have other id such as Thai medical card, tax number, Thai credit cards. Surely this should be enough.

What I would like to know is why doesn't immigration offer some sort of id for....

What an excellent idea! An ID card for foreigners resident in Thailand. They'd make a mint! A driving license costs 105 baht a year, and they carry out a lot of checks before they issue you one, so why not charge 500 baht for a fully legal foreigners ID card. Are you reading this, Immigration?

Well i've been told i'm a very "jolly" fellow in the past.

Cambridge Dictionary meaning:

Definition

gay (HAPPY) adjective OLD-FASHIONED

1 happy: We had a gay old time down at the dance hall.

2 If a place is gay, it is bright and attractive: The streets were gay and full of people.

:D  :D

That's the one I meant! :o And glad to hear it! :D

Lived in Asia 6 years. I lost my passport once and I never carried it with me again, and hence, never lost it again.

I lived in Thailand for 5 years and never was asked once for my passport, even when I was stopped many times on my motorcycle with no drivers license. The fines were never over 400 baht or so (always after negotiating for a while). You never stand on your rights or explain to a Thai police officer how legal you are and how you don't need to do what he wants. You just go with the flow, always smile, speak English, and then pay your negotiated fine. Then you can speak Thai, because generally, he will then be your best mate.

The best example I can give was when I was stopped going the wrong way down a bus lane at a busy intersection in Bangkok. I only spoke English and tried to make excuses. We haggled over fine price and I handed him the money right in front of loads of stopped traffic. I began to speak Thai, which greatly amused him, he asked me where I was trying to go, at which point he lead the way on his motorcycle, the wrong way down that same bus lane to the video shop I was trying to get to.

If you act friendly and stupid to Thai police they will generally be friendly to you, corrupt as they are.

Maybe these horror stories are happening to people in heavily touristed areas like Pattaya?

And what is with the dude showing off his shorts? My passport would have been destroyed if it had ever been in my shorts for any length of time. Ever hear of Songkran?

...what is with the dude showing off his shorts? My passport would have been destroyed if it had ever been in my shorts for any length of time. Ever hear of Songkran?

Ever heard of a plastic bag? Ever bothered reading the previous page which shows my passport inside a small plastic sealed bag? :o

Ever heard of a plastic bag? Ever bothered reading the previous page which shows my passport inside a small plastic sealed bag?  :D

Hey, I lived in Thailand, remember? It is plastic bag heaven, plastic bags fill the ditches on the side of the road, plastic bags float down Klong Sansaeb, plastic bags are everywhere. I just wouldn't want to put my passport in one and stick it in my pants. :D I aqlmost always traveled by motorcycle when I lived in Bangkok and my passport would not have survived that, plastic bag or not.

I was just giving you a hard time about the shorts picture, etc. :o:D it just hit my funny bone to see a picture of some guy's shorts, that's all.

I would never carry my passport with me in Thailand unless I was going to Don Muang to get on a plane. But, hey, that's me, I have never needed to and think it is unecessary. I have seen farang wearing their passport tied around their neck in a little purse tucked underneath their shirt. Or carrying money zipped up in a 'secret' money belt. That's great if you like that, I put my money in a bank, and think my passport is way too important to constantly sling it around with me all the time. Neither I nor any of the farang I hung out with every had trouble with this. I think it has to do with where people live (Pattaya, or other touristy areas) and how they deal with the po.lice.

But hey, that's just my opinion, you are entitled to your shorts and your plastic bags, I only carry lunch or Lao Khao in plastic bags, not my passport. :D

but the fact I never have been asked in 28 years means it's pretty hard for me to justify carrying it.

So what are these people doing to get so harrassed by the police?

It has never happened to me either. And the fines were always negotiable and the police generally amicable. I never lived in Pattaya or Phuket or Samui, but travelled there, and always rented nice big bikes and was never event stopped. once. Where are these mysteriously farang who get reamed by the cops?

Hmm, all this talk has made me rethink whether I should get a new (US) passport instead of just having pages added. My current passport has 24 pages and is very slim and flexible, but it's getting to the point where immigration officers have to hunt a bit for space to stamp.

I echo the sentiment that it feels safer on me than in a drawer somewhere. Even when I return to the US on business, I usually keep it on my person just so that I can fly home no matter what happens to the rest of my belongings.

I carry it almost all the time in BKK and don't think I have this problem of it looking ridiculous or being uncomfortable in the front pocket of my slacks or walking shorts. It isn't even there, compared to a mobile phone or house keys. And, I'm the type who doesn't like to carry a wallet because it is too bulky... just loose cash and a few cards. If it looks like a chance of rain or Songkran, I put the passport in a ziplock sandwich bag (squeeze the air out before sealing, and the bag is hardly there either). If I'm feeling paranoid, I might wear a "travel" shirt with a nice hidden pocket to stash it.

One of the photos showed a passport that looked more like a phonebook! How many pages are in that thing? My work permit or bank passbook is thicker than my passport, and more annoying to carry around. Maybe it is easier to replace it every few years with another thin one, than to make it twice as thick and start worrying like all you guys do?

So what happens if you DO lose your passport and waiting for replacement you get picked up by the police. Same I suppose as not having a passport. Think I'd just try the photocopies, if that doesn't work. I get to see more of amazing Thailand and my wife can come with my passport later.

C

Another hypothetical situation to ponder for those who worry about strolling down to the local som tam stand without their passport: suppose you want to go to India (or wherever) and your passport is sitting safely tucked away at the Indian embassy during the four-day visa application turnaround period. Do you not leave your apartment during this time for fear of being thrown in jail?

Another hypothetical situation to ponder for those who worry about strolling down to the local som tam stand without their passport: suppose you want to go to India (or wherever) and your passport is sitting safely tucked away at the Indian embassy during the four-day visa application turnaround period.  Do you not leave your apartment during this time for fear of being thrown in jail?

Apparently some would. Hunker down, my friend, som tam stand people will report you as an illegal alien in a heartbeat! Don't they ask for your passport before you order? :D

I, personally, now have my passport sewn into my skin (inside a plastic zip lock baggy first, of course). That way I will always have my passport handy just in case the sky falls or the world ends. My James Bond lifestyle as an international man of mystery necessitates this paranoia on my part. Never know when the home office wants me in Timbuktoo on a moments notice!

<<humming James Bond theme song as I buy my som tam>>

:o