Nearest Visa Run?

Hi, I live mid-way between Khon Kaen and 'Salakam and always do my visa runs to Nong Khai/Vientienne. There is a regular bus service from Salakam to Udon Thani where you can get another bus to Nong Khai. From Khon Kaen to Nong Khai it costs about 80 baht (one way) it will be a bit more from Salakam.

The buses from Udon to Nong Khai depart from 11.00am and take around 1 hr 15 mins. Down side is that the last direct bus back from Udon Thani to Mahsarakam leaves at 2.00 pm. (which is no use to you) so you would have to catch a bus from Nong Khai to Khon Kaen and change there for Salakam. I am assuming you wish to make the trip in one day without a 'night out'.

Visa runs to Nong Khai are excellent, few people and friendly staff at the border. A visa on arrival for Laos costs 1500 baht (or 30 US dollars if you have them) and you can cross the bridge, enter Laos, leave Laos and be back in Thailand in around 45 minutes on 'a good day'. Don't bother with the visa 'agents' you can do all the paperwork yourself (its in English and Lao). You will need a 'passport' photograph (rules say three photos required, but they usually give me two back!).

Good for 'duty free' Lao whiskey 100 baht for 5 bottles, very good beer Lao for 360 baht for 24 cans, if you are adicted to 'the weed' some international cigarette brands are available.

Hope this is of help to you. :o