Thailand's Democrats Seek Ban On Thaksin Party

webfact

I predict another military coup within the next 2 years just like last time. Will probably boil over when the sister tries to get the families ill gotten money back and/or Taskin tries to come back into the country.

I seriously doubt Thaksin will wait that long to try both of those. He comes off as rather a selfish man, yes? If he just faded away long ago and/or just served his light jail sentence, imagine how different things would be now.

The day when Thaksin returns without causing friction is still quite a way off, I think. First the PTP have to deal with any EC/Dem challenge to the legality of their government. Then they have to get the judiciary onside whilst staving off Dem/Military pressure for that not to happen. Thaksin hasn't come across as the buccaneering type. I don't think he'll want to take a risk where his own safety/freedom is at stake. That means being patient a fair bit longer.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"All I could find was this"............................ "a few other links which I didn't look at yet".........................well that was fortunate wasn't it, the only source on the entire internet you found was one quoting that Suraphong had petitioned the EC suggesting that his entire case rested on the sole basis of the photo I had posted - from The Nation - despite reading the source that I had quoted - from, yes you guessed it, The Nation.

So what is the appropriate smiley for backing up and excusing a political party through thick and thin which is once again found wanting when it comes to electoral votes and one that resorts to any means whatsoever to retain power despite not winning an election in 19 years? Let me suggest one.:bah:

My dear chap, the link I provided was just one I found. I didn't look for many more, why should I? I've been trying to be the voice of reason in this topic since it started and still feel like a lonely voice in TV wilderness.

My smiley had nothing to do with the cases themselves, just with finding a link with more links. What I wanted to suggest is that without further information the case you referred to and the case just now brought forward cannot be compared. Insufficient data, you know.

As for trying to cling to power, who? K. Thaksin, his Pheu Thai? The caretaker government under PM Abhisit is just waiting for some endorsement to hand over to it's successor. That will be Pheu Thai and the beautifully smiling Ms. Yingluck. In a democracy all continues fairly normally even when investigations are asked for. Poor EC, 190 cases, against various people and parties. Temporary result on the 12th as they said weeks ago.

Stay cool, open your mind (as far as rain allows) and keep smiling. You should be happy, the coming government will be PM Yingluck with (mostly) Pheu Thai cabinet :)

Edited by rubl

OMG, if beautifully smiling was all it took to be a good PM, I reckon Yingluck is overqualified. Not sure I have ever heard that before as a great quality in a leader.

If this was anywhere other than the Land of Smiles I would sit down and lament with you.

How stupid can you get. Being banned means they cannot serve in office. It doesn't mean they have to wear muzzles on their mouths.

Being banned means that they can't be INVOLVED in politics, NOT only that they cannot serve in office.

Tell That To Newin and Banhan

How stupid can you get. Being banned means they cannot serve in office. It doesn't mean they have to wear muzzles on their mouths.

Being banned means that they can't be INVOLVED in politics, NOT only that they cannot serve in office.

Tell That To Newin and Banhan

And to k. Thaksin, and about 100+ others from various parties. Only one more day for Thai citizens and Thai legal entities to file a complaint with the EC, so hurry up <_<

I predict another military coup within the next 2 years just like last time. Will probably boil over when the sister tries to get the families ill gotten money back and/or Taskin tries to come back into the country.

I seriously doubt Thaksin will wait that long to try both of those. He comes off as rather a selfish man, yes? If he just faded away long ago and/or just served his light jail sentence, imagine how different things would be now.

Yes! But now these people arent as lame as the Palestinians so we do have another game here.

We are bordering on civil war any day now if the wrong turn is made.

Tiger

Legitimate? If the judiciary were neutral, which they are not (yet), how could they defend dissolving the party with such a mandate from the people? Parliament is the law, and the people have chosen a new parliament haven't they?

Parliament makes the laws but to become a member of that parliament there are rules that have to be obeyed by every side.If you break the rules then you have to accept that you can't be a member. I seem to remember the then opposition and the red shirts complaining that the democrats had not taken power legitimately now it's the other way round. As for the democrats taking power as I understand it they merely joined with other parties to form a government when many MPs were disqualified. I assume this was just following the constitutional rules so was perfectly legitimate. Whether the disqualifications were lawful is another matter about which I have not enough knowledge.

I have to say that I can't understand the PTP taking chances like this unless maybe they weren't sure they'd win fairly. If I were them I'd have made sure no banned persons were involved including a person who is still a fugitive from justice. If that changes then there's no reason for Thaksin not to be involved. I seem to remember there were comments on TV regarding the fact that he was banned but still campaigning and giving guidance to Yingluck. Maybe it's the case that without him the people who voted for PTP wouldn't have bothered. A sad reflection on a party if it has to rely on just one person who can't face justice especially as whenever I see him interviewed in english he says it's "politically motivated" not that he's innocent.

Mind you I can't understand why the EC didn't sort this out earlier to avoid people voting for illegitimate candidates. This challenge was bound to happen if they let it go.

Froggy, it's not even close to that simple. OK, accept the PTP party victory. How far does that go? Accept a criminal fugitive running the country from abroad? Accept the pardon of Thaksin? Accept the return of his questionably obtained money? Accept him back as PM when he was supposed to serve a prison term? Accept a show trial of "villians" of the red shirt riots, that at the least they were partly or mostly responsible for provoking? In your country, would you be comfortable with all that acceptance? Well, many Thais won't either.

Edited by Jingthing

It seems the Dems want to stir up the militants amongst the Reds, this will then be the excuse for the army to step in and we return to "all systems normal". Judging by Animatic's defense of this move the Dems have no interest in democracy, they just want to hang in there, even if it involves more bloodshed. Abhisit for all his faults seems to have done the decent thing.

It seems the Dems want to stir up the militants amongst the Reds, this will then be the excuse for the army to step in and we return to "all systems normal". Judging by Animatic's defense of this move the Dems have no interest in democracy, they just want to hang in there, even if it involves more bloodshed. Abhisit for all his faults seems to have done the decent thing.

Well, this is going to take many months to work through the courts. A lot can and probably will happen anyway before a verdict, assuming they even accept the case.

I think that the most offensive thing mentioned in the OP is that some clown has accused Yingluck of handing out free bowls of noodles at a rally. The implication is that PTP voters are so stupid that their votes could be bought for a free bowl of noodles. If I was a Thai I would find that racially offensive.

This move by the so-called Democrats was all too predictable. Unless they and the people who skulk behind them catch themselves on they run a serious risk of plunging Thailand into a civil war. The freely expressed will of roughly 60% of the electorate can not be overturned.

60 percent? Where did you come up with that? Wasn't it something like 44% PT, 38% Democrat and 18% everybody else? I can only hope that the political party representing that 44% decides that this time they will try to govern for the benefit of the majority of Thais, as opposed to the benefit of a single man.

Froggy, it's not even close to that simple. OK, accept the PTP party victory. How far does that go? Accept a criminal fugitive running the country from abroad? Accept the pardon of Thaksin? Accept the return of his questionably obtained money? Accept him back as PM when he was supposed to serve a prison term? Accept a show trial of "villians" of the red shirt riots, that at the least they were partly or mostly responsible for provoking? In your country, would you be comfortable with all that acceptance? Well, many Thais won't either.

In my country I wouldn't be happy with the army chief of staff telling me to vote for the "right" people either. I wouldn't be happy with media censorship that is probably more restrictive than any other supposedly "democratic" nation in the world. However that is Thailand and its what you have. Strange how when it suits the case its OK to import, cherry pick, the western standards that are so essential to ensure "justice".

I've always wonderd...

In most countries, government and army is "in the same boat". The army belongs to the the government, and the government rules the army. Just like in the US (and 99% of all other countries).

But here in Thailand they seem to be 2 separate beeings, always distrustful and "afraid" of eachother??

If the army is so dam_n corrupted, then how come the yellows did not kick their generals and replace the old army chief with a new one?? After all, the army belongs to the government, right?

Will the reds do it?

I just dont see why this crazyness goes on and on..

Edited by ricku

Looking at the Democrat's case I might presume this to be a frivolous scam were it not for recent precedence.

The few so-called "Democrats" who remain in parliament wjll now close the Airports, all roads north, south, east and west and sit in yellow shirted indignation wherever they can cause the greatest disruption in the small area of Thailand that remains!

"Banned from politics" in this interpretation appears to imply it is illegal to express an opinion or to appear to support some cause that is not diametrically opposed to such opinion --- echoes of Burma, Soviet Union, Syria, North Korea and several other failed or failing states --- and, the next move will be to include 60% of the electorate in that category!

I am no lover of Thaksin and, despite his bad press, I thought Abashit (sic) made a fair attempt to reconcile such incorruptible? factions as remained in government but surely the Thai people should have some say in this, not just one or two staid members of the judiciary, military, et cetera.... and now they have spoken, no doubt befuddled with ex gracia noodles donated by some well-wisher!

Why not listen?

I've always wonderd...

In most countries, government and army is "in the same boat". The army belongs to the the government, and the government rules the army. Just like in the US (and 99% of all other countries).

But here in Thailand they seem to be 2 separate beeings, always distrustful and "afraid" of eachother??

If the army is so dam_n corrupted, then how come the yellows did not kick their generals and replace the old army chief with a new one?? After all, the army belongs to the government, right?

Will the reds do it?

I just dont see why this crazyness goes on and on..

There is a substantial difference in the army in Thailand and army in many other countries. The army exists not to protect the nation from external threats but to protect its corrupt earnings. It does this by making sure there is no change in the system. The government does not control the army, although it sometimes suits both to let that appear to be the case.

The difference would have been the other bunch of uglies continuing to bully Abhisit and Korn like they did during the two-and-a-half years of pretend democracy from which the country has just elevated itself. Said politicians now have an opportunity to be a real opposition, flagging up corruption and wrongdoings right the way in. Will they step up to the plate, or will they hide behind their ugly patrons' blouses and try to snatch power through the back door again?

CONTESTED RESULTS

Democrat seeks Pheu Thai dissolution

By The Nation

Songkhla MP alleges that banned politicians took part in campaign

The Democrat Party's legal expert yesterday filed a petition with the Election Commission (EC) asking it to recommend that the Constitution Court dissolve the Pheu Thai Party for allowing banned politicians to take part in its election campaign.

The Democrat MP-elect for Songkhla, Wiratana Kalayasiri, said members of the now-defunct Thai Rak Thai party were believed to have taken part in Pheu Thai's affairs such as selecting MP candidates and creating policies under the slogan "Thaksin's ideas, Pheu Thai's action".

Quoting Article 97 of the Political Party Act, which prohibits banned politicians from founding or being executives of a political party for five years, Wiratana said the Pheu Thai Party should be dissolved, and ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and former Thai Rak Thai leader Chaturon Chaisang banned for another five years.

"Just this May, the EC resolved that a party can be dissolved if a banned executive continues behaving as if he is an executive of the party," Wiratana said.

He also asked the EC to consider whether Pheu Thai could face dissolution on the basis of former executives of the now-defunct People Power Party, Somchai and Yaowapa Wongsawat, joining Yingluck Shinawatra's election campaign. Yingluck is Pheu Thai's top party-list candidate and a front runner for the prime minister's post.

In a separate development, EC secretary-general Suthiphon Taveechaiyagarn said yesterday that the discrepancy between party-list and constituency votes was commonplace in every election. This could be partly attributed to absentee voters casting advance ballots via post.

With each voter obliged to cast two ballots - one for a party-list and one for a constituency MP - poll watchdogs are questioning the large discrepancy in numbers.

Suthiphon said absentee voters, particularly Thais living abroad, were entitled to post their ballots in lieu of showing up in person, and many might have just put one ballot instead of two in the envelope. He said the EC would soon discuss the issue and find ways to avoid this discrepancy in the future.

Senator Jittipoj Viriyaroj, who represents the Northeast province of Si Sa Ket, said on Thursday that his senatorial panel had noticed a difference of 83,000 votes cast for constituency MPs and party-list MPs. He said the difference was very large and that the EC had to explain this irregularity to the public.

As for the EC's approval of elections results scheduled on Tuesday, Suthiphon said the commission should give the green light to MP candidates who do not face any complaints.

Meanwhile, the EC's Nakhon Ratchasima branch has passed along a complaint against Yingluck because she gave voters the noodles she cooked while campaigning. It has submitted its investigative report and the EC will consider the case on Tuesday, Suthiphon said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-09

I figured I would sleep on this and during my beautyrest, someone astute would ask the obvious. Alas, while I am more beautiful than ever, no one asked the question that should be asked. So I shall therefore askthe defenders of those that seek to create dissension, that cannot accept the election outcome, what is the motive forbringing a "complaint" against the PTP?

Do the people defending the activity honestly believe that the motive is basedsolely on the accusers' love of Thailand and respect for the electoral process?

Please think before you answer, because the people that are most vocal in their support for the bringing of charges and complaints were supporters of themilitary coup, The coup was hardly Thailand's finest moment in democracy was it?

And if you wish to use the hollow excuse of the need torespect the law, I wonder if some of you understand what a hypocrite is? Oh yes, the laws are there for a reason, butthe enforcement of laws requires common sense and discretion. Laws may be on the books, but the enforcement of the laws allows for some discretion. Is thedistribution of a few bahts worth of noodles really a serious election act violation? I doubt you share the same view on zero tolerance when caughts peeding and the copper knocks the violation down from 30 kmh over the limit to10kmh, or if the police in some jurisdictions do not arrest and charge peoplefor the possession of small amounts of restricted drugs. And what of you holierthan thou folks that regularly flaunt the customs rules on the import oftobacco, booze, cheese and meat? How many of those insisting on zero tolerance comply with the letter of law on visas, their business operations or thebuilding code? How many of you foreigners carry your passport on you at alltimes? It's the law and the rules are that undocumented foreigners are to bedetained. Imagine the reaction in the forum if that law was applied.

I am consistent in my position when I state that the court system is the appropriate place in a civil society for the settling of serious grievances. However, the courts should not be used as a tool to harass people. If there is a serious breach, then yes, I can understand why a complaint would and should be brought. However, when I look at some of the limp allegations, then I do question people's motives.

I also draw attention to the rules related to yellow carded candidates. EC chairman Apichart Sukhagganond explained this back in June; He said a candidate would be disqualified if he or she was found to have personally violatedelectoral law. In the case of other people committing wrongdoings on behalf ofcandidates, their election victory would be annulled and the EC would call another round of voting in their constituency, with the"yellow-carded" candidates being allowed to contest the new vote.

The Democrats need to seriously reconsider some of their charges as a best case scenario in some of them would be some constituencies going to the polls again. However, most of these constituencies were in areas that returned PTP candidates. It isn't a risky prediction that the result would be an even stronger endorsement of the PTP candidates as people sent a message to the Democrats. The Democrats might think they are being cute, but they are only sowing the seeds for even stronger sentiments being expressed against their party.

Edited by geriatrickid

Very nice to get some stuff in from NotTheNation.com !

Excellent. Caught quite a few people, too!

You wish.

Perhaps you should get to sleep. I assure you that Mr. thaksin is not lurking under your bed.

Edited by geriatrickid

I thought the people have chosen already ? In all "Democracy" voice of people is usually legitimate . I understand they might be disappointed but I don think it will help to reunited Thais. :annoyed:

Legitimate? If the judiciary were neutral, which they are not (yet), how could they defend dissolving the party with such a mandate from the people? Parliament is the law, and the people have chosen a new parliament haven't they?

The people have elected (chosen) the members of the house of representatives, not the party leaders. These are two separate issues, covered separately by applicable laws.

Good observation. BTW, where does one go to listen to Puccini in this burg?

Is thedistribution of a few bahts worth of noodles really a serious election act violation?

It was the local branch of the EC that included the "noodles incident" in their election report. The Democrats have nothing to do with that.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that just, before the election, Pheu Thai asked the EC to disband the Democrats ... because they "criticised it's candidates".

Is thedistribution of a few bahts worth of noodles really a serious election act violation?

It was the local branch of the EC that included the "noodles incident" in their election report. The Democrats have nothing to do with that.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that just, before the election, Pheu Thai asked the EC to disband the Democrats ... because they "criticised it's candidates".

And was it not the TRT, or whichever of it's rebirths, that started a case for disbandment against the Dems because the Dems election posters were 1 cm bigger than the rules?

Perhaps all the Thaksin haters and by implication Democrat supporters will now wake up and realize the true nature of the people they support.

No-one who support the current government support democracy.

The people in as free and fair election as you are ever going to have in Thailand have decided and they've come out in their millions to defeat the current administration.

This current Democratic Party move (Democratic? - what a joke) opens the door for a return to seeing tanks on the streets of Bangkok yet again.

I dont suppose it will be long.

It's quite interesting/amusing that all the Thaksin haters are whining about the election result.

If voting were compulsory the result would've been a lot worse for the Dems.

Get over it!

TO MR ABISHIT AND THE DEMOCRAT PARTY !!!

YOU LOST !!

THE PEOPLE OF THAILAND HAVE VOTED AND CAST YOU ASIDE !!

GROW UP STOP BEING CHILDISH ACCEPT IT AND MOVE ON !!

LOOK AT YOURSELVES AND ASK THE QUESTION WHY YOU LOST !!

Is your CAPS lock key stuck?

Just maybe the Democrats lost because PTP broke the law. We'll never know.

As pointed out a few pages ago, if an athlete wins through cheating, they get disqualified. Why should elections be different?

Just because PTP got the most seats doesn't mean that the law should be ignored.

But the gold medal doesn't go to second place when they cheat as well.

Painfully obvious both parties acted illegally but now one party has the shits because it didn't cheat as good as the other.