Thai Food-No Thank You

DavidARoss

I've never tried goat cheese but would be willing to try it.

I don't like the thought of eating anything that comes out of a goat.

I find most Thai food totally disgusting. It has to be the worst food in all of Asia (with the possible exception of Cambodia). And the selection is mind-boggling boring compared to, say, Chinese food or Indian food (no, not those Indians, the other ones). :)

What about Phillipino food? My limited experience of it was that it is atrocious. I once had a soup/broth type dish that they were raving about, I think called Bacala or something, that was basically luke warm water with left overs dropped into it. Basically dish water after much cleaning of plates. :D

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as Thai cuisine goes Isaan food can be described as basic / rustic / rough / simple, not that that's necessarily bad.

There are quite a lot of Thai dishes, particularly the Central Thai ones adapted from Chinese recipes that don't taste so in-your-face.

If you haven't completely written off Asian food then I recommend that you give the or Japanese or Chinese food in Thailand a try. . . Japanese food in particular has a lot of savoury flavours / 'proper' chunks of protein / no bits that you can't eat, solid / stodge similar to western food.

No I haven't written off Asian food completely. I've eaten Chinese food in Canada,not the same as China of course, but I like their fried rice, eggrolls,dry garlic spare ribs but wouldn't know where to go in Udon Thani for this or would it be Thai style chinese food that I would be eaten?

I've never seen westernised Chinese food here, and I can't comment on the availability of Chinese restaurants in Isaan but I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find at least one Kao-man Gai (Chicken Fat Rice) joint in Udon. Also known as Hainanese Chicken and Rice it is wonderfully plain yet delicious.

In the cities of the North, South and of course Bangkok I've seen lots of authentic Chinese restaurants which sell selling food that came with the huge wave of Chinese immigrants fleeing famine and war in the late 19th Century until the mid 20th Century. They came in such large numbers that they formed their own communities so the food is probably fairly authentic, although not having been to China I couldn't really say how Thai it has become / Chinese it remains.

Chinese food has been readily adopted by the Thais. The Thai restaurants (different from Isaan restaurants) and cook-to-order eateries found all over Thailand will do Chinesey stirfries, and most cooks are quite happy to leave-it-be and not laden it with extra spice. If you don't want to leave it to chance you can tell them to make it not spicy (mai phed = not hot. mai phed loey = not hot at all).

My advice would be to buy a Thai cookbook with lots of stuff (and pictures) that you like so that you can learn the names and in extremis just point to order.

Edited by Trembly

I find most Thai food totally disgusting. It has to be the worst food in all of Asia (with the possible exception of Cambodia). And the selection is mind-boggling boring compared to, say, Chinese food or Indian food (no, not those Indians, the other ones). :)

What about Phillipino food? My limited experience of it was that it is atrocious. I once had a soup/broth type dish that they were raving about, I think called Bacala or something, that was basically luke warm water with left overs dropped into it. Basically dish water after much cleaning of plates. :D

Agreed, Philippines for sure has the worst cuisine in South East Asia

i don't get it . how can u not like fried rice (kao phad), an omelette (kai jeeow) , fried chicken (gai tawt) or dumpling soup (gee ow nahm) ?

Fried rice and omelettes are Western dishes too. I suspect the problem lies with the curries that taste of nothing but chilli.

Haven't tried the dumpling soup, but look forward to giving it a try.

I enjoy all kinds of food. I am happy im not so picky as some of the people here. I often cook for myself, but not because i dont like the taste of Thai food.

Its just a bit fattening. I love going to the Japanese food shops or an occasional sizzler. But normally i cook for myself. If need be i can handle the chillies better as most Thais.

Happy my mother brought me up with food from all over the world. I would go crazy if i was that limited in what i could eat.

I find this whole thread astonishing, not that there are people who don't like Thai food, but that there are so many of them. One wonders why on earth you live here.

You should try (as you obviously haven't, except IJWT) going out with Thais who really know something about food. Good Thai food is not overloaded with chilis, as they deaden the taste of good, fresh food. Thai food is as good as most types of Chinese food, Cantonese being the outstanding exception. References to Chinese food without mentioning which type usually mean the people concerned have only eaten Westernised Chinese food, or foreign constructs like Chop Suey.

Edited by isanbirder

I enjoy all kinds of food. I am happy im not so picky as some of the people here. I often cook for myself, but not because i dont like the taste of Thai food.

Its just a bit fattening. I love going to the Japanese food shops or an occasional sizzler. But normally i cook for myself. If need be i can handle the chillies better as most Thais.

Happy my mother brought me up with food from all over the world. I would go crazy if i was that limited in what i could eat.

Goes to show, one man's meat is another man's poison!

Personally, I have never had anything in a 'Sizzler' that was worth eating.

I find Thai food not tasty (because of chilly almost in everywhere) and unhealthy due to too much fried oil and again chilly. Oil and chilly lead to high cholesterol and stomach ulcer. Also, there are only about 10 dishes to choose from. Chinese cuisine is my choice.

I find this whole thread astonishing, not that there are people who don't like Thai food, but that there are so many of them. One wonders why on earth you live here.

You should try (as you obviously haven't, except IJWT) going out with Thais who really know something about food. Good Thai food is not overloaded with chilis, as they deaden the taste of good, fresh food. Thai food is as good as most types of Chinese food, Cantonese being the outstanding exception. References to Chinese food without mentioning which type usually mean the people concerned have only eaten Westernised Thai food, or foreign constructs like Chop Suey.

This will obviously come as an enormous shock to you - but many of us don't base where we live on the cheap food available :rolleyes:.

As I said before, I find the curries available at the market inedible - but enjoy Massaman curries and a few other Thai dishes at restaurants delicious.

I can happily live without most of them though :lol:.

Goes to show, one man's meat is another man's poison!

Personally, I have never had anything in a 'Sizzler' that was worth eating.

Maybe i just have real low standards. I usually eat stuff that is good for me rather then the taste. I enjoy the spare ribs at sizzler for instance. The Japanese chopped meat burger is good too. I enjoy the salad bar too.

Count myself lucky then. Love Thai food. Never had a problem from street food either. Only time I had a major problem was a hamburger foolishly purchased after a few drinks in a bar. Never eat sushi because of the amount of sugar added to the rice but love sashimi and oysters. My favourite Thai dish has to be Gung Chae Nam Pla กุ้งแชน้ำปล่า. Raw prawns with a dipping sauce, I'm choosy where I eat it mind. :D

deundan-4.jpg

Edited by roamer

One wonders why on earth you live here.

Remember that there are plenty of Thai people living outside Thailand who only eat Thai food or the overwhelming majority of their meals is Thai food. There are Thais overseas who will cook 2 types of meals. A Thai meal for themselves and a non-Thai meal for their partner. That seems crazy to me, but it is their choice.

I always think that Thai people, upon returning to Thailand from holiday, are asked, "Could you get Thai food there?"

I also remember being on a flight and a Thai woman had several containers of Thai style cup noodles in her Louis Vuitton bag. :lol:

I really don't have a problem with people living in Thailand and sticking to the food they are accustomed. Like an earlier poster said (in my words) "After 65 years on Earth, you expect me to completely change my diet because I live in a different country?" :rolleyes:

TheWalkingMan

You should try (as you obviously haven't, except IJWT) going out with Thais who really know something about food. Good Thai food is not overloaded with chilis, as they deaden the taste of good, fresh food. Thai food is as good as most types of Chinese food, Cantonese being the outstanding exception. References to Chinese food without mentioning which type usually mean the people concerned have only eaten Westernised Thai food, or foreign constructs like Chop Suey.

This will obviously come as an enormous shock to you - but many of us don't base where we live on the cheap food available :rolleyes:.

As I said before, I find the curries available at the market inedible - but enjoy Massaman curries and a few other Thai dishes at restaurants delicious.

I can happily live without most of them though :lol:.

I find it astonishing about all of the expat experts Commenting about Foodland on Sukhumvit Soi 5 and suggesting the OP go there when it has been closed for refurbishment for about 3 months.

Expats in Thailand ... Is there anything they do not know? But probably more likely just keyboard warriors who google about everything and experience nothing themselves.

The only thing I cant handle is MK, where everything is chucked into a bowl and boiled to death, it really is bloody awful and bland as far as I am concerned. Just about everything else I can do, oh apart from when they chuck the chickens foot in the bowl, that gets passed over very quickly laugh.gif

Agreed, Philippines for sure has the worst cuisine in South East Asia

Yup....totally agree. Only Asian country that doesn't have a cuisine.

Ever seen a Filipino food restaurant outside of the Philippines?

The only thing I cant handle is MK, where everything is chucked into a bowl and boiled to death, it really is bloody awful and bland as far as I am concerned. Just about everything else I can do, oh apart from when they chuck the chickens foot in the bowl, that gets passed over very quickly laugh.gif

You need a plan for the forced MK visits, the wife loves the place. The noodles aren't bad, the duck is OK and so is the dim sum. I get pork noodles, throw on some duck, side order of steamed buns and the wife gets the big pot. Everybody is happy!

why has what my taste buds like got anything to do with were i live ,

i enjoy food i love to eat out ,its my favourite pastime nothing beats goining for a meal that you cant wont or dont have the ability to cook at home !

since you seem to have the insider knowledge on what is good about Thai food fill us in rather than leaving us out of the loop

where do we go to find this awesome Thai food (the only dish i can eat is a orange curry with prawns and like a herb ommlette on top but id prefer a club sandwich anyday

i have eaten in every place that has been reccomended to me and i will try anything once

so fire us some names /places /dishes that we should try

I made a mistake in my previous post (Thai when I meant Chinese), which I have now corrected. Apologies.

First point. No, I don't see why people shouldn't eat the kind of food they like. That's their choice. But one of the joys of living in a foreign country should be its food, and I feel sorry for those who don't enjoy the food here.

Second point. I was not talking about market food. Often too oily, chilis added to disguise stale food, and stacks of MSG. I was talking about good Thai food which you would get in the kind of Thai restaurant rarely patronised by tourists, but which farangs living locally should get to know. These include in particular family-owned restaurants, who take a pride in their special dishes.

Third point. The best thing in a Sizzler is the chocolate mousse (well, I think it was a Sizzler).

Remember that there are plenty of Thai people living outside Thailand who only eat Thai food or the overwhelming majority of their meals is Thai food. There are Thais overseas who will cook 2 types of meals. A Thai meal for themselves and a non-Thai meal for their partner. That seems crazy to me, but it is their choice.

I always think that Thai people, upon returning to Thailand from holiday, are asked, "Could you get Thai food there?"

I also remember being on a flight and a Thai woman had several containers of Thai style cup noodles in her Louis Vuitton bag. :lol:

I really don't have a problem with people living in Thailand and sticking to the food they are accustomed. Like an earlier poster said (in my words) "After 65 years on Earth, you expect me to completely change my diet because I live in a different country?" :rolleyes:

TheWalkingMan

Actually if you can change the country and the scenery and life you live. Then changing food should not be a big problem. But then again the older one gets the less flexible one gets mentally and in habits. :D

why has what my taste buds like got anything to do with were i live ,

i enjoy food i love to eat out ,its my favourite pastime nothing beats goining for a meal that you cant wont or dont have the ability to cook at home !

since you seem to have the insider knowledge on what is good about Thai food fill us in rather than leaving us out of the loop

where do we go to find this awesome Thai food (the only dish i can eat is a orange curry with prawns and like a herb ommlette on top but id prefer a club sandwich anyday

i have eaten in every place that has been reccomended to me and i will try anything once

so fire us some names /places /dishes that we should try

I've never lived in Bangkok, so cannot help you there. In Chiangmai, I used to go where I was taken by a Thai friend... and was rarely disappointed. And if you are out in the countryside... well, you can go to Prao, where there's an unpretentious restaurant (read, Thai-style) with an old cook, with his glasses on the end of his nose, who conjures magnificent dishes with a wok, a variety of food, and the thing you stir them with, the whole just by the main road. I've been there several times, and have never been disappointed. No, I will not recommend dishes, because, to use a trite expression, one man's meat is another man's poison.

TheWalkingMan

Actually if you can change the country and the scenery and life you live. Then changing food should not be a big problem. But then again the older one gets the less flexible one gets mentally and in habits. :D

Or then again, perhaps we have learned to accept what we like and don't like.

If we are flexible enough to change where we live, then its unlikely that we are being inflexible about the food we enjoy.

He's 65, and can't change. I'm 74, and can. It just seems a pity to come and live in a country, and not enjoy one of its main attractions. Yes, I've known a man in his 30s who wouldn't eat any kind of Chinese food in Hong Kong of all places, and a man in Chiangmai who wouldn't eat Thai food (not just 'didn't like it' but 'wouldn't'). But I felt sorry for them; they were missing such a lot.

He's 65, and can't change. I'm 74, and can. It just seems a pity to come and live in a country, and not enjoy one of its main attractions. Yes, I've known a man in his 30s who wouldn't eat any kind of Chinese food in Hong Kong of all places, and a man in Chiangmai who wouldn't eat Thai food (not just 'didn't like it' but 'wouldn't'). But I felt sorry for them; they were missing such a lot.

I was talking here in generalities. I have seen it in my family how the older get less and less flexible. This does not apply to everyone. I can be really inflexible in some area's too.

I have been around Thailand mostly the south, i have eaten street food with Thai people, I have been given the odd funny look now and again because a falang is eating Same Thai. I like the Barbecue foods, mostly the chicken, I have only once had a problem with my stomach, and got the Thai two step, the variety of Thai foods are endless and most of it is good for you, I think over the years Westerners stomachs have just got to sterile, The only time I will not eat is when a family all take food out of the same bowl, with the spoon that they are eating from. apart from that I have never had any trouble,

Edited by Thongkorn

I have been around Thailand mostly the south, i have eaten street food with Thai people, I have been given the odd funny look now and again because a falang is eating Same Thai. I like the Barbecue foods, mostly the chicken, I have only once had a problem with my stomach, and got the Thai two step, the variety of Thai foods are endless and most of it is good for you, I think over the years Westerners stomachs have just got to sterile, The only time I will not eat is when a family all take food out of the same bowl, with the spoon that they are eating from. apart from that I have never had any trouble,

Well wise up. Do not eat raw fish in the sticks. some do and there is a parasite that will kill you. Multiple spoons will not help you and neither will antibiotics which Thai pharmacies give out like candy.

The problem with much of Thai food is that its essentially tasteless in its ingredients,therefore neding lots of additives in the shape of MSG and chillies!

If it is cooked with the best ingredients Royal Thai food can be delicious,but this is rarely found these days.

Has anyone tried Hormok talay or Hormok pla chon? One of the great dishes of the world but so difficult to find these days as so much preparation involved.

Does anyone here remember "Once upon a time restaurant" in Bangkok?

Wonderful Thai food and great Hormok!!!

Thees days most Thai food is equivqlent to Western fast food ....tasteless (MSG ugh!)and junk food

Well wise up. Do not eat raw fish in the sticks. some do and there is a parasite that will kill you. Multiple spoons will not help you and neither will antibiotics which Thai pharmacies give out like candy.

I do not eat any dried fish or meat , But even if meat is cooked you can still get worms from bot flys.

90% of Thai food is disgusting, especially that cafeteria-style mush mass-produced, and I won't touch it -- nor will my girlfriend. 10% is delicious and I eat it every day. But yes, the cuisine is highly overated. Japanese, Chinese and much closer to home, Vietnamese is far superior (in their home countries).

I took a cooking course here and make my own curries and all else from scratch. What I don't cook, my girlfriend does. In a week, 70% Thai and 30% western. She even loves Marmite and cheddar sandwiches! Weird chick!

But as was the case in the States, I can cook what I eat--usually, but not always--better than what you can get at a restaurant. I once went with a friend to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, reputed to be the best steak in the U.S. It came ala carte, $35 (my friend paid or I would never had done it) and it was pathetic. No flavor, not particularly tender; three inches thick of bland beef. Baked potato on the side: $5!

I used to buy a cheap rib-eye and dry it out in the fridge a few days, grill it and, presto, a delicious $3 steak.

The chemicals they use here sometimes to dry cure--I wouldn't touch it. The smell of ammonia on seafood is barf-inducing.