Os X Lion Installed

george

Lion works great. I have never had a Mac before. I did a fresh install on a custom built Windows PC. It took a little work, but nothing a geek can't handle. Now I have to figure out why I want to run Lion. I just don't know what I can and can't do as opposed to Windows.

My system hand built by myself:

Intel i7 2600k 3.4GHz CPU w/stock fan

Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 motherboard

HIS Radeon HD 5750 1GB graphics card

8GB Kingston DDR3 1333 RAM

64GB Kingston SSD hard disk for Windows7/Mac OS Lion/Ubuntu

2TB Seagate Caviar Black had disk for data

320GB Seagate Caviar Black hard disk for back ups

BTW, I can't stress SSD's enough. This is my first SSD. I have been running SATA drives in RAID 0 for the last 10 or 15 years (well, ATA before SATA) and I loved the performance, be damned the risk. But SSD flies. I will grab an identical SSD and stripe them in RAID 0 next week. I installed Lion on the empty SSD in 6 minutes from start to finish from a 16GB flash drive. Windows installed slower, but it boots almost instantly, I think under 20 seconds. Amazing.

Didn't you have to install OS 10.6 and then update to 10.7 (Lion)? By the way there's a 10.7.1 update...

No, as long as you have the retail version of Lion, you can extract the InstallESD.dmg from it and use that to make a bootable USB flash drive. I ended up installing a fresh copy of Lion a couple of times, experimenting, and it was much smoother than installing 10.6. I did update to 10.7.1 already, no changes I notice, I guess Apple rushed out some security fixes.

Funny, I bought Snow Leopard and the Lion update from Pantip, and the DVD he gave me was Lion update 10.7.2 - it even showed 10.7.2 on my system after I updated! I don't know what it was, but it was weird that it showed a future version of Lion.

Lion works great. I have never had a Mac before. I did a fresh install on a custom built Windows PC. It took a little work, but nothing a geek can't handle. Now I have to figure out why I want to run Lion. I just don't know what I can and can't do as opposed to Windows.

My system hand built by myself:

Intel i7 2600k 3.4GHz CPU w/stock fan

Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 motherboard

HIS Radeon HD 5750 1GB graphics card

8GB Kingston DDR3 1333 RAM

64GB Kingston SSD hard disk for Windows7/Mac OS Lion/Ubuntu

2TB Seagate Caviar Black had disk for data

320GB Seagate Caviar Black hard disk for back ups

BTW, I can't stress SSD's enough. This is my first SSD. I have been running SATA drives in RAID 0 for the last 10 or 15 years (well, ATA before SATA) and I loved the performance, be damned the risk. But SSD flies. I will grab an identical SSD and stripe them in RAID 0 next week. I installed Lion on the empty SSD in 6 minutes from start to finish from a 16GB flash drive. Windows installed slower, but it boots almost instantly, I think under 20 seconds. Amazing.

Ya. Agree with you on SSD upgrade. Which I think is the most important hardware upgrade for any PC/Mac system. Everything went super smooth and slick after the upgrade.