Comparison Of Visa Costs

I go to Europe, etc. every 3 or 4 months, so the re-entry on an O is not an issue. Can I get the O visa in somewhere like Savanakhet when my next 30day "admission" stamp is about to expire? Do they need anything more than the 800k in the bank for 60days? I suppose I can get the necessary bank letter in any branch of (for example) K-bank?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go to Europe, etc. every 3 or 4 months, so the re-entry on an O is not an issue. Can I get the O visa in somewhere like Savanakhet when my next 30day "admission" stamp is about to expire? Do they need anything more than the 800k in the bank for 60days? I suppose I can get the necessary bank letter in any branch of (for example) K-bank?

To get the non-o you need to go to an Embassy in PP or in Laos. You will need proof of the 800,000 because you would be getting for retirement. More than likely only a single entry because they would expect you to extend for retirement when it expired.

For the non-O visa you ned to show income or money in the bank, but no need to be there for 60 days or in a bankaccount in Thailand.

As said, in the region you would probably not get a multiple non-O, only a single.

If you can show 65,000 a month income (can be from abroad)

OR

800,000 in a bank account in Thailand for 2 months (3 every next extension)

OR

a combinaiton of yearly income and money in the bank totaling 800,000

You can get an extension of stay for 1 year from immigration. In combination with a re-entry permit it would allow you to come and go as you please.

To get the non-o you need to go to an Embassy in PP or in Laos. You will need proof of the 800,000 because you would be getting for retirement. More than likely only a single entry because they would expect you to extend for retirement when it expired.

Is non-O the same as O ? The proof of funds is not an issue once I work out what visa I am getting. Why do I need to "extend for retirement" when I am already applying for a visa based on retirement? Can the consulate in Savanakhet do what I need?

Thanks for all the input people -- much appreciated.. :jap:

The visa allows you to enter Thailand and you get 90 days upon entry.

Extension means that immigraiton will give you 1 year to stay without the need of elaving the country. You can extend your stay every year again with 1 year.

Please correct the errors in my thinking here...

I can enter with 30day permission to stay stamp at Bkk airport

Before 30 days are up, I go to Savanakhet and apply for non-O visa supported by current dated printout of my overseas bank account balance.

I will get 90days when I enter, but probably no re-entry.

Before 90days are up I go to local immigration with Thai bank papers showing correct funds for 3 months and they will give me 365 day extension.

I can (at the same time?) get a re-entry permit (is it open-dated?) to allow me to go international walkabout when I want to within the 365 day extension.

What will they stamp me in with when I come back with e.g. 6 months extension left and a re-entry permit in my hand?

What costs? Initial non-O? 365day non-O extension? Re-entry permits?

:jap:

Correct. You can get a re-entry permit at the same time. Every time you return to Thailand, you will be stamped in till your original permission to stay date.

So if you apply for an extension of stay at immigration and you get a permission to stay till 15 Oct. 2012, when you leave and re-enter Thailand you will still be allowed to stay till 15 Oct. 2012.

The non-O should cost 2,000 baht for a single, 5,000 for a multiple. The extension 1,900 baht. A single re-entry permit costs 1,000 baht and a multiple 3,800 baht.

Account only needs 60 days for first retirement extension of stay application.

A 90 day non immigrant entry can be obtained from Immigration with money in account in Thailand or proof of income letter from visa exempt or tourist visa entry. Cost 2k.

Before 30 days are up, I go to Savanakhet and apply for non-O visa supported by current dated printout of my overseas bank account balance.

Before 90days are up I go to local immigration with Thai bank papers showing correct funds for 3 months and they will give me 365 day extension.

I can (at the same time?) get a re-entry permit (is it open-dated?) to allow me to go international walkabout when I want to within the 365 day extension.

What will they stamp me in with when I come back with e.g. 6 months extension left and a re-entry permit in my hand?

Do you need a fixed address for the 365 day extension?

If you get the 365 day extension won't that mean you are resident in Thailand for tax purposes?

If so, should your costs include tax on money you bring into Thailand that is earned that year?

Do you need a fixed address for the 365 day extension?

If you get the 365 day extension won't that mean you are resident in Thailand for tax purposes?

If so, should your costs include tax on money you bring into Thailand that is earned that year?

Dunno about the fixed address, but I have not heard that is a requirement.

Resident for tax purposes is very different from resident for immigration purposes. Without going into details, you have to "extract" yourself from UK tax-residency before you can get tax-residency anywhere else - - unless you don't mind being taxed twice :annoyed:

What I earn as interest in the Thai bank is taxed by Thailand st source (15%), and what I bring in is "spending money" which is tax-paid elsewhere and Thailand does not tax.

Unless someone knows otherwise? :ermm:

Any money earned while in Thailand is subject to Thai tax (worldwide income) unless a bilateral double tax agreement exempts it. In practice Thailand does not tax money brought into Thailand that was earned in another tax year. And for retirement there has not been any checking done for tax purposes to date.

What "proof for funds" will satisfy the initial application for non-O? Will a print-out from my online bank do, or does it have to be something more?

For a visa, an online bankstatement wil be enough.

For extension of stay, the bank account needs to be in Thailand and you need to show your bankbook AND a leter from the bank conforming the money in there.

....for Americans, they head to American Citizenship Services on Wireless Road, pay $50 USD for a Notarial Letter showing Proof of Income,

collect other paper work and bank account info, photos, over the age of 50, Residency Letter and good to go?

there is no lost interest for me, as I bank here in Thailand, maybe others do to.

Interesting -- Can you get decent rates on investments? I see only 1.1% or thereabouts, whereas I am getting 6% in an Australian bank.

I have most of my money in aussie bank and get the high interested, Centrelink deposit my pension directly into my Thai bank at no charge, I use my Thai bank debit card and have no charges to withdraw money or for the bank account.

The pension counts as part of the money for the retirement visa, in my case 523,800 THB the other 276,200 must be in the bank for two months the first visa, three months after that, and can come out after the visa in granted, if you have your money in a Aussie back it cost you every time you use the ATM in Thai, it cost me nothing, the lose of interested on $AUD 8,498 for three months is nothing along side of the inconvenience and cost of the visa runs.

I think the visa situation in Thailand is very easy and great if Farangs have the right requirement, the ones that don't have the money or requirements are the ones that winge about it I think.

Has anyone one heard of a Residence visa ? talk to aussie bloke yesterday and he spoke about this visa, could not tell me much would like to know about it if is true.

....for Americans, they head to American Citizenship Services on Wireless Road, pay $50 USD for a Notarial Letter showing Proof of Income,

collect other paper work and bank account info, photos, over the age of 50, Residency Letter and good to go?

Not any more.

Americans now need evidence to show immigration, same as everyone else.

cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process

Believe he was talking about the above process rather than a visa. Almost none have been approved for the last 4 years and it requires three years of being here on one year extensions of stay (and income so retirement does not qualify unless perhaps also married to a Thai).

Not any more.

Americans now need evidence to show immigration, same as everyone else.

There has not been any change. Immigration has always had the option to check and seem to only do so when they wish and not by being any specific nationality. No nationalities have routinely been asked to show more than Embassy document to Immigration and Americans were never the only country using notary type method to provide such a letter. And more seem to be adopting that system this year.

The pension counts as part of the money for the retirement visa, in my case 523,800 THB the other 276,200 must be in the bank for two months the first visa, three months after that, and can come out after the visa in granted

When using the combination method there is no requirement for the money to be in the bank for a specific period. The funds just have to be there on the day you apply for the extension.

Sophon

Okay, 2.5% is a slight improvement on the 1.2% I was told from K, but still a long way from 6%.

I suppose I would have to pay Thai tax on the interest in the Thai bank, whereas I am legally tax-free in my overseas account. B)

Getting married to gain 5% on 400,000Baht seriously devalues marriage. :ermm:

Nobody ask me for tax

Most live with a woman anyway

They'll tax your interest rate.....:jap:

There is no guarantee they will except a off shore bank account for the non-o based on retirement. I know an American turned down in Laos last year for the non-o because money not in Thai bank. They did give him a miltiply tourist visa.

And he applied for single or multi entry non immigrant O visa? Don't understand why he would want more than a single entry tourist visa if intending to extend for retirement and unable to obtain a non immigrant O visa.

Given the bank rates in Thailand, as clarified here--

it appears that my original thoughts were correct and carefully managing triple-entry TR visas is the cheapest way to stay in Thailand.

Much as I would like to fall into the correct pidgeon-hole and get the retirement visa, it looks like it simply does not make economic sense to do so. Unless someone can tell me otherwise?..... B)

You should exclude the lost interest from this ludicrous calculation, since the Immigration Bureau doesn't force you to leave the money earning nil interest all year when there are much better fixed deposit rates available. You are only being charged B1,900 a year for a retirement visa which is a real bargain but one assumes they will soon figure out this is far too cheap for wealthy farangs that can afford to retire abroad and will bump it up before too long. I have to pay B5,700 a year as a permanent resident for a re-entry permit after having already paid substantial fees to get PR in the first place.

Anyway, if you can't afford even B1,900 for your visa or can't scrape together the B800,000 in the bank there is a much cheaper option - stay home.

You should exclude the lost interest from this ludicrous calculation, since the Immigration Bureau doesn't force you to leave the money earning nil interest all year when there are much better fixed deposit rates available. You are only being charged B1,900 a year for a retirement visa which is a real bargain but one assumes they will soon figure out this is far too cheap for wealthy farangs that can afford to retire abroad and will bump it up before too long. I have to pay B5,700 a year as a permanent resident for a re-entry permit after having already paid substantial fees to get PR in the first place.

Anyway, if you can't afford even B1,900 for your visa or can't scrape together the B800,000 in the bank there is a much cheaper option - stay home.

As I see it the cash has to be in the bank 60 days prior to applying for the O visa, and for 90 days prior to applying for the extension. Following that the money has to be in the bank again 90days before the year is up, ready for the renewal. That looks like at least 6 months during any given year. Transferring to an overseas account for the remaining time to try to make up interest is not going to work because it would only get short-term rates and the transfer and exchange rate costs will negate any gain. Unless I am missing something the alternatives still appear to be a low-interest thai account and retirement visa or a high interest overseas account and TR visas. The numbers appear to favour the latter. Unless someone knows something I am missing.....:jap:

And he applied for single or multi entry non immigrant O visa? Don't understand why he would want more than a single entry tourist visa if intending to extend for retirement and unable to obtain a non immigrant O visa.

He wanted to stay for one year without leaving the country and without putting the 800,000 baht in a Thai bank. The Embassy just gave him the double entry tourist visa without his asking for it. I guess he had a big argument with the Embassy staff over the location of the funds and they where adament about them being in a Thai bank .

As I see it the cash has to be in the bank 60 days prior to applying for the O visa, and for 90 days prior to applying for the extension. Following that the money has to be in the bank again 90days before the year is up, ready for the renewal. That looks like at least 6 months during any given year. Transferring to an overseas account for the remaining time to try to make up interest is not going to work because it would only get short-term rates and the transfer and exchange rate costs will negate any gain. Unless I am missing something the alternatives still appear to be a low-interest thai account and retirement visa or a high interest overseas account and TR visas. The numbers appear to favour the latter. Unless someone knows something I am missing.....:jap:

Go home and get the Non-O-A visa, funds can stay in your home country and with the multiply good for two years. Repeat every two years, there are a few on Thaivisa who do this.

Before 30 days are up, I go to Savanakhet...

Yes, you can enter Thailand without a visa but whether the airline lets you board at the point of departure is another question. You should start your first trip to Thailand with at least a tourist visa.

Visa requirement for Australian national: http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_website_client.cgi?SpecData=1&VISA=&page=visa&NA=AU&AR=00&PASSTYPES=PASS&DE=TH&user=DL&subuser=DELTAB2C

Go home and get the Non-O-A visa, funds can stay in your home country and with the multiply good for two years. Repeat every two years, there are a few on Thaivisa who do this.

Are the police report and medical one-off things on first application or renewable each time? And does it matter if the police report and medical and bank balance are all from different countries?

The money has to be in account, if using just account, for only 60 days for first one year extension of stay and 3 months for each renewal. There is no 60 day requirement to obtain a non immigrant O visa from a Consulate or a conversion of entry status.