Retirement - 65,000 A Month!

I just read on another thread that 65,000 a month is required for retirement visa.

Bloody h3ll, why?

I am thinking of retiring in 30 years, after working here for over 40 years.

I won't get a pension, but I will have given a lot to Thailand and her people, and likewise them me.

With a Thai wife and kids, and maybe grand-kids by then , am I right in thinking that they will kick me out? I don't have a pension.

They will let any Tom, Dick or Harry in if they are getting a big pension?

I have a friend here who has recently retired. His grown up son is a bit of a superstar on the Thai soaps and earns a lot. He already own some very nice houses and a new car. The family own a restaurant too so no money needed for food.

He said he can live on 10,000 a month!

My question is, if he didn't have money to satisfy the marriage visa, would he get kicked out? He has been here for over 30 years.

65,000 is a LOT of money, why did they choose such a ridiculously high amount.

None of these guys at immigration get nearly half as much. They probably survive here alright.

Seriously,

Is there any way I could retire here if I don't have a pension from abroad, especially if I have lived and worked here for most of my life?

I plan to buy a farm when I retire and be pretty much self-sufficient.

Maybe I'll just overstay, will work out cheaper.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read on another thread that 65,000 a month is required for retirement visa.

Bloody h3ll, why?

I won't get a pension, but I will have given a lot to Thailand and her people, and likewise them me.

With a Thai wife and kids, and maybe grand-kids by then , am I right in thinking that they will kick me out? I don't have a pension.

They will let any Tom, Dick or Harry in if they are getting a big pension?

I have a friend here who has recently retired. His grown up son is a bit of a superstar on the Thai soaps and earns a lot. He already own some very nice houses and a new car. The family own a restaurant too so no money needed for food.

He said he can live on 10,000 a month!

My question is, if he didn't have money to satisfy the marriage visa, would he get kicked out? He has been here for over 30 years.

65,000 is a LOT of money, why did they choose such a ridiculously high amount.

None of these guys at immigration get nearly half as much. They probably survive here alright.

Seriously,

Is there any way I could retire here if I don't have a pension from abroad, especially if I have lived and worked here for most of my life?

As a man married to a Thai it is 40,000 baht a month or 400,000 baht in a bank in Thailand ( or a combination of income/savings )

Can confirm that for a retirement visa, monetary requirement is 80,000 Bt / month if you are not married to a Thai national, 40,000 Bt / month if you are.

Why not forget the retirement visa and keep going with the Non-immigrant visa you can get if you have Thai dependents? It means a visa run every three months though.

Yes the numbers can seem a bit high to some, I guess they do it based on "farang-cost-level" with a healthly buffer to ensure that only the "wanted/suitable" retirees comes to Thailand.

If you have lived and worked here for 40 years you hopefully have managed to save up a bit more than 400.000 Baht, especially if you have no pension from abroad. I would use from that during the year, and top up with farm profits when up for renewal.

Cheers!

Surely the retirement amount can be satisfied by showing EITHER in income monthly or the amount in the bank ??

If you dont have 800k (or 400 if married) to show how do you intend to retire ??

Not many people would think about retiring with less than 800k available..

Can confirm that for a retirement visa, monetary requirement is 80,000 Bt / month if you are not married to a Thai national, 40,000 Bt / month if you are.

Why not forget the retirement visa and keep going with the Non-immigrant visa you can get if you have Thai dependents? It means a visa run every three months though.

Continuous multi's will prove to be elusive in the region.

The 40-65K per month is based on what aforeigner should have to live on in LOS. The tax department also wants their part so the mthly income is high enough to get 10% or better. :o

The Baht 400,000 security deposit can be done in several ways. Thai wife seems to be the best option for the time being. :D

Like firefan said " If you have lived and worked here for 40 years you hopefully have managed to save up a bit more than 400.000 Baht, especially if you have no pension from abroad. I would use from that during the year, and top up with farm profits when up for renewal."

Good luck!

:D

It is actually 65000 baht per month for a retiree.

Well I'm sure I could save 800 baht a month. That makes 40000 baht in 40 years, which will satisfy the requirements, unless of course they change them.

How many increases will they have in the next 40 years?

If I retired for 20 years that would mean they want me to have/spend 8 million baht!

Maybe that is a more realistic amount to save, only 8,000 a month, which is 1/3 of my salary. :o

Neeranam,

The money is the bank is only for show, you do not have to spend it.

You show 800k/400k for the retirement/marraige visa extension for the first year but for subsequent years you only have to top it back up.

You can still live here and only spend whatever you want.

Yeah, I realise that, just panicking a bit as it is only 30 years away.

I really should start putting some away.

Does the money top-up have to come from abroad, even if you don't have a pension from abroad and have lived in Thailand most your life - this seems very unfair .

Edited by Neeranam

How many increases will they have in the next 40 years?

No doubt the goal posts will be changed unless a change in the law on retirement in line with other countries is realised.....Will TRT still be in power then?

Anyway at present rates of 400k/800k I would estimate that something like ...what 4/8 million baht in the piggy bank would be about right but hopefully by then our UK pensions should have gone up from roughly £100 quid a week to say a thousand and that would be alright then ...wouldnt it :D

I am also thinking about retirement in 40 years time but that would make me 96 :o ...should have at least got my TG gold card by then......bloody air miles... :D

Does the money top-up have to come from abroad, even if you don't have a pension from abroad and have lived in Thailand most your life - this seems very unfair .

Let me answer the question like this.

An immigration official has told me that the top must come from abroad.

If you don't like that answer then go ask a different officer.

Well even at 40KTHB/month, in three months you will have more than the 100KTHB tab (about that amount I believe) for permenant residency. And after all those years and a Thai family, I should think you could be approved easily. Then no worries about being kicked out.

Just a thought .....

The number is appropriate in my view; afterall this country has enough poverty packers on a daily basis with the requirement, certainly they don't need to increase that number by lowering the standard

There's a very big difference between the expat living in a Pattaya/Bangkok hotel and one living in his own house upcountry.

I don't think it is fair to only say rich foriegners are welcome.

I may be wrong here, but, I was under the impression that immigration need to see 400,000 baht come from abroad EACH and EVERY year. Top ups are not allowed. They want to see you SPEND 400,000 baht each year.

Doesn't really make sense to me. All you have to do is take it out gradually by sending it to an account abroad then wiring it back every year. Doesn't it matter what we spend it on? :o

The number is appropriate in my view; afterall this country has enough poverty packers on a daily basis with the requirement, certainly they don't need to increase that number by lowering the standard

There's a very big difference between the expat living in a Pattaya/Bangkok hotel and one living in his own house upcountry.

I don't think it is fair to only say rich foriegners are welcome.

$1600 a month + $10k in the bank is hardly a "rich foreigners only" policy.

I think they should set up a skate park with extreme sports style half pipe at the airport to make the visa requirements just a little bit "more challenging."

:o

I may be wrong here, but, I was under the impression that immigration need to see 400,000 baht come from abroad EACH and EVERY year. Top ups are not allowed. They want to see you SPEND 400,000 baht each year.

I think you'll find that they're quite happy for you to spend less than 400,000/800,000bt during the year and just top it up from overseas at the end of the year.

Edited by endure

You show 800k/400k for the retirement/marriage visa extension for the first year on a Thai bank account. There is no rule :D that this money must come from abroad. During the year you can spend all that money and top it up 2 weeks before renewal date. You can do this in the same way every year. Nobody can stop you from doing this except:

Immigration officials will ask questions what you do with the money, you do not have enough money for living :o etc etc . But the money should come from abroad etc etc. All silly questions.

If you don't like to answer then go to a different officer at another Immigration office.

You’re right – about being wrong, that is :o

It has been said in this forum time and again that the 400K per year is not a spending requirement. Immigration wants to see that minimum amount in your account at the time you apply for your annual extension of stay. If you spend less than 400K in a year, it suffices to remit from abroad the necessary amount to bring the balance over 400K again.

If immigration looks at the details of your bank book – and they usually do – it is to look for a pattern of withdrawals/debits. If they see that after receiving your last extension practically all of the 400K was withdrawn and put back in again shortly before your next application, eyebrows are likely to be raised.

You show 800k/400k for the retirement/marriage visa extension for the first year on a Thai bank account. There is no rule :o that this money must come from abroad.

If the money doesn't come from abroad they'll assume you're working illegally.

If you are going to be working here that long, why don't you apply for a residency permit after 5 years?

The rules state that you can, and I know people who have residency, and they are not by any means connected or anything special.

You don't need to show it is from abroad if you are working here with a WP. Marriage visa only.

OTE(Neeranam @ 2005-10-24 02:41:05)

If you are going to be working here that long, why don't you apply for a residency permit after 5 years?

The rules state that you can, and I know people who have residency, and they are not by any means connected or anything special.

It's nearly 200,000 baht now, isn't it? But it would be worth having and save a lot of hassle.

Edited by Neeranam

...Is there any way I could retire here if I don't have a pension from abroad, especially if I have lived and worked here for most of my life?

I don't see the problem. If you work here legally with workpermit etc. shouldn't you be paid the minimum legal requirement for a foreigner which is something like 40K a month? (depending your nationality)

For sure you can save enough for your retirement in 30 years.