90 Day Reporting. Why!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,I know people who has lived here many years without reporting,ever! It seems,that if you don`t report a first time,nobody will miss your reporting...Also,let`s think about it a little; How difficult can it be,to just report any place and not live there?! In my many years here,nobody ever came to crosscheck my address with the one I give in my report...Furthermore,I think the "honest"people,who has nothing to hide,give an accurate address.(I do)But what about the ones,that don`t want to be controlled for one reason or other,you think they have no way of beating this system,by lying or simply,not give any report.?! How naive can one be?! So much for keeping tabs of the could-be-terrorists,lopburi3..To my second point in my earlier post; It seems to me,that in most activities and lines of work,they are always overstaffed here i Thailand.(Or I come from a very efficient country..) It could be,that someone,in this case, knows the fact,that you always must try to keep your workers or whatever,busy,for their own sake and for the company/country/or what have you.Not overworked,I don`t talk slavery here,but occupied.

Edited by Bosse137

Did you get caught by the lunch time one hour break which you are including in the 3 hours wait?

Yes, I am including the lunch break in my three hour wait, as I did have to wait whilst they had their lunch break, not complaining about that as everyone is entitled to a lunch break, it's a pretty mind numbing job.

I got there shortly before 11.00 with the intention of doing the report in the normal 30 mins and then getting my re-entry permit, probably after lunch.

There was quite a cross selection of nationalities but not many, of what I would call, farangs.

That's what I figured. Plus, I bet you there were more than the normal amount of folks ahead of you being told to go to another area to pay a 2,000 baht overdue report fine before they could file their report which slows everything down. That happened to my on my 1 hr, 20 min visit when at least a half dozen folks ahead of me had to pay the fine and of course spent extra time discussing with (arguing) with the immigration officer that they shouldn't have to pay the fine for a whole variety of reasons.

Well,I know people who has lived here many years without reporting,ever!

The idea is they have a contact/report every 90 days instead of the one year most extension of stay periods last. If you report the wrong address and they need to contact you they have the chance on next report. If you report by mail with the wrong information you will not have the receipt for next report. I did not say it would stop terrorists. I provided the reason it became hard to ignore this already on paper requirement. There are also other reasons for this such as foreign Embassies trying to contact there nationals for some reason.

I am also on record as saying it is probably not a productive exercise and a great waste of energy for all. The same updated information could probably be obtained by serious fine for not timely reporting an address change (it will have to be reported at new extension time so that would be the check/pay time). But making a new rule is never as easy as using what is on the books.

You send to the immigration office serving your location (normally where you obtained an extension of stay). You can check with them for exact address/requirements but in general you include last report receipt and copies of passport/arrival card/TM.47/return envelope with 10 baht stamp. You should mail 10 days before due date and use registry/EMS to have a record.

My case is a "unique" case.

I have to return back to nearby Malaysia every one or two months.

That is to say, I won't have the oportunity to complete the "90" days reporting.

In other words, one or two months in Malaysia and one or two months in Thailand.

In that whole year I won't have 90 days of complete stay in Thailand.

The question I would like to ask is this.

1. Have I inform Immigration on this scenario ?

2. If not, will I face any problems now and in the near future.

This is my first Retirement Visa.

Please kindly advise.

Thanking you all in advance.

Last year, I asked a senior official at IMMO/Bkk why they required the 90-day report. She said that it was needed "in case the foreigner has a problem...."

My interpretation is that theywanted to be able to track you down if you were on some "wanted" list.

True, you are not required to have a fixed residence (as L3 points out) or a lease.

But by reporting to the nearest IMMO office every 90 days can narrow down the search.

That is to say, I won't have the oportunity to complete the "90" days reporting.

In other words, one or two months in Malaysia and one or two months in Thailand.

Please kindly advise.

No problem (believe you have retirement extension of stay from immigration rather than a visa) - your stamps/re entry will show what is going on. No need to explain anything.

Please kindly advise.

No problem (believe you have retirement extension of stay from immigration rather than a visa) - your stamps/re entry will show what is going on. No need to explain anything.

Just my two cents on this matter...the TM.47 states specifically in the title "Form for Alien to Notify of Staying Longer than 90 Days" the key words here are "stay longer than 90 days". So in effect, every time you leave the country prior to any 90 day period being exhausted you have not stayed for 90 days so no report is required. Whenever you enter Thailand wheither it's the initial time or a subsequent return from a short trip abroad, the 90 day period starts anew.

There seem to be some short memories here. For a long time the 90 day reporting rule was not enforced and was ignored by immigration, until some huge abuses of the system forced them to take some action, so several 'sleeping' rules were then awakened, and some new ones introduced as a result. If those using fake visas, fake stamps, 'agents' etc had not done so, those rules might well have stayed dormant.

There seem to be some short memories here. For a long time the 90 day reporting rule was not enforced and was ignored by immigration, until some huge abuses of the system forced them to take some action, so several 'sleeping' rules were then awakened, and some new ones introduced as a result. If those using fake visas, fake stamps, 'agents' etc had not done so, those rules might well have stayed dormant.

On the flipside those who are not engaging in any "dodgy" visa activities have nothing to worry about.

The reason:

Immigration Act of 2422; Section 37(5)

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the

competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing , concerning his place of stay , as soon as

possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is

an Immigration Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.

The provision of ( 3 ) and ( 4 ) shall not apply to any cases under Section 34 by any conditions as

prescribed by the Director General.

In making notification under this Section , the alien may make notification in person or send a

letter of notification to the competent official , in accordance with the regulations prescribed by the

Director General .

So would it not be easy for every one if we was given 7 days to inform the office of any change of address.sad.gif

:whistling:

1. It's not inconvienent for the Thais who work there...a lot of their jobs depend on you filing those meaningless pieces of paper.

2. There used to be requirements for reporting income and verifying money on deposit in Thai bank accounts for foriegners every 90 days. That requirement has long gone (since 1980 or so, I believe) but the 90 day filing principal is still there from that era.

3. But before you start feeling to superior about that, let me tell you the true story of Napolean's Signal Fires. About 1800 the British government was worried that Napolean and the French fleet might invade England. To overcome that threat they required that certain landowners overlooking the channel must build a signal fire, to be lighted as a warning if the French invasion fleet was sighted. They provided a 100 pounds for each landowner to build and maintain this signal fire in readines for the French invasion. This 100 pounds was to be paid annually to each landowner. Although the threat of Napolean was long gone, that law hung on until the 1950's...and the British government kept paying the families of those landowners from 1800 until the 1950's the same 100 pounds each year.

True story.

I can add to that: we English men over 14, are still required to practice archery at the village green every week. But what's that got to do with the price of beens in Tesco?smile.gif

I just returned from Cheang Wattana for my 90 day report and was forced to pay a 2000 baht fine for alleged late reporting. It is 87 days since I was there renewing my retirement permit and obtaining a multi re entry permit. I assumed (oops) that the 90 days started from then. WRONG. The response was "that's a different section and the 90 days started when you returned from overseas in April". CRAZY! :annoyed:

Only the TM.47 or the first TM.7 (extension of stay application) counts as a 90 day address report.

Thanks Lopburi3, It seems you are correct but doesnt it seem ridiculous that 2 sections of the same department in the same office cant work together? The fact is I was there 87 days ago filling in forms containing my address and it isnt accepted as a report of my address. I wonder how many people fall into this money trap.:huh:

Thanks Lopburi3, It seems you are correct but doesnt it seem ridiculous that 2 sections of the same department in the same office cant work together? The fact is I was there 87 days ago filling in forms containing my address and it isnt accepted as a report of my address. I wonder how many people fall into this money trap.

It happened to me a couple of years back, I had gone to do my extension and asked the Immigration Officer where I needed to go to do my 90 day report, he told me that I didn't need to as this extension counted. When I went to do a 90 day report the work experience girl couldn't contain her excitement when she realised my "error", I'm serious she was clearly happy. When I tried to explain what had happened the IO rudely brushed my protests aside, adding the at the IO was wrong and the 2000 Baht fine stood.

I paid up, I had no choice, but was pretty hacked off.

The fact they are different departments is valid - on my extension of stay about six years ago processor asked me to go upstairs to make such a report (not in normal time frame) and it was refused, first by staff and then commanding officer. While I was upstairs extension processor was telling wife they were probably not allowing it and that was reason it taking so long. It was really a cat/dog relationship between them. At smaller places same person so not so likely to be an issue but need to remember only that first extension of stay counts as an address report.

we are all on probation,all of us that have been married a long time 21years in my case why cant we pay up front for a 5year ext.of stay and report every 180days how hard is that,saves them a lot of time and us,maybe they cant work out 1900bht x 5.

Simply stated: This country is not "farang friendly": 90 days reporting, max 1 year permission of stay, extremely difficult to get permanent residence, don't think you can get Thai nationality.

That gives me the feeling we are not welcome here, only our money is.

In my country of origin (Belgium) once you get a permission to stay police will pay your residence a visit to ensure you really live there.

From there on you can work, benefit social security, buy land, own a house, 5 years down the road obtain Belgian nationality, vote etc. etc.

Unfortunately thousands come to profit the system: get free housing, free food, pocket money. They are called "asylum seekers", they don't come with money as we do, for sure.

Try that in Thailand :whistling:

Edited by tartempion

Post 51 and Post 52 really hit home with me four years ago. Then for several years I did the report by mail to Bangkok, then this year once to Korat and on my July 28, 2011 visit to Korat immigration in the afternoon there was no wait for the annual Visa. I asked the counter person when she was not glued to the Thai TV if I could mail the TM47 and she said no longer possible to mail. However out of no where she made my June 2011 90 day report updated to 90 days from July 28. I've only had a retirement Visa for 6 years, but it can keep you on your toes with slight changes in the rules all depending on the particular office and particular staff person.

This July was the first time on my annual visit at the Korat Immigration office they requested to see my yellow house book or a blue house book copy of a Thai wife. I had neither with me and the clerk backed down on that random request. My Thai wife would much rather shop for pottery or silk flowers than sit in that office. In and out in 15 minutes including making one photo copy for a re-entry permit I sure have to be thankful compared to the two to three hour waits in Bangkok previously for the same two filings.

Quote a999az

"I have a one year visa, I am married to a Thai (legal) and we have two small kids, we own our house and on top of that I work here. So why do I have to report every 90 days to the Thai immigration? Guess they have a good reason for it but I cant find out why it's required. Every 3 months I hand them the same photo copy's of my passport along with a form that has the same information on it except for the date. blink.gif Please! can someone tell me why we have to do this, I cant imagine I has to do with keeping tabs on us, in fact the only function it appears to have is inconvenience."

end of quote ( no reply tab on post #1)

This is post #1, the original.

Every 3 months when you report to your local Immigration office, you complete the new T.M.47 and hand that ,together with your passport containing the previous T.M. 47 to the officer

They simply remove the old one and replace with the new one.. I do not think copies of your passport are required.