Does Anyone Use Or Need Kefir Grains?

tropo

I have no idea where you can find water kefir grains. If you read through this thread you may find a couple of posts by members who managed to find them. If all else fails, you could import them. I know Dom, in Australia ships them worldwide in desiccated form.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have got some very good news for all you kefir lovers. A lot of people are stressed out about what to do with their grains when they go away...

In late October I went away for a planned 2 1/2 week vacation to the Philippines. As usual I took some kefir grains with me. I left my main batch of kefir grains in the refrigerator in milk. Normally I brew kefir once every 3 weeks or so, so I knew there wouldn't be a problem leaving them for a month or so. My last batch before I left was brewed on October 9, so they had already been sitting in milk for nearly 3 weeks when I left.

As it turned out, I didn't get back home until April 1 after the grains were sitting in the fridge for nearly 6 months and this is what I found:

post-34982-0-85541800-1428679909_thumb.jpost-34982-0-31502700-1428679908_thumb.j

This is pre-straining:

post-34982-0-95033600-1428679896_thumb.j

I skimmed off the coloured substance on the top surface and rinsed the kefir grains thoroughly a number of times in a bucket full of filtered water.

This is what the grains looked like after rinsing:

post-34982-0-75553600-1428679873_thumb.jpost-34982-0-38967000-1428679857_thumb.j

Perfectly normal looking!

Here is my first batch of kefir, pre-straining, 21 hours later:

post-34982-0-48219800-1428679885_thumb.j

The first batch produced a great tasting and normal batch of drinking kefir.

While on vacation I had the fridge on the warmest setting and the jar of grains was in the door.

So there you have it - my grains survived for 176 days (5 months and 25 days) in the refrigerator and didn't miss a beat. They produced perfect drinking kefir from the very first batch.

This leaves one to ponder over how long the grains could actually survive. A year or longer perhaps.

• Like 1

How long do you think you can leave kefir milk and still drink it?

I have some in the fridge in Oz that has been there quite a long time ie a couple of months.

I would guess that it will still be ok to drink after 2 months. Give it a sniff. If it smells ok, then taste it. You'll know if it's off. If you take a look at the jar I left for nearly 6 months, only the top layer was starting to show some colour... the rest looked perfectly normal. I'm regretting now that I didn't taste it - it smelled perfectly normal.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

I'm interested in brewing coconut water kefir. I bought some kefir starter powder, but I'm not sure if it is really working. I tried it 2 days ago, but the coconut kefir didn't have any bubbles. It tasted a little sour, but not what I expected. It was the first time I've ever made or tasted kefir, so I really don't know. I would rather do it right, with either the water kefir grains, or the milk kefir grains. I suppose the water kefir grains would work better with coconut water, right?

Does anybody have some kefir grains I could pick up, or pay shipping for? Or does anybody know a source where I could buy them?

Thanks,

Kelly

You need water kefir grains. Milk kefir grains don't work with coconut water as they require lactose.

I have no idea where you can find them in Thailand. A few members have sourced them in Thailand, so you could read back on this long thread to find the information.

Failing that, you could order some from Dom in Australia. He ships them worldwide. You'll also be able to source them on eBay.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyway I could get on the kefir wannabe list. I'm in south Thailand Nakhon Si Thammarat area. I also have access to organic raw grass fed milk at the moment, but it happens to be on short supply. Lmk, maybe we can help each other out.

Just in case anyone is curious, there is a brand of organic cow's milk available in Pattaya supermarkets. I think it is called the "Home" brand. it's in a rectangular, 1L container. Comes in low fat or regular. Tastes good too.

You can use any milk at all to make milk kefir including UHT milk. I made mine with UHT milk for 5 months in the Philippines and it was quite ok. Kefir is so sour you'll unlikely taste the difference once prepared. All milk kefir to grow and thrive is Lactose. You can make it with reconstituted milk powder if necessary. You can even use flavoured milk. The extra sugar speeds up the fermentation process.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, I am interested in Kefir Grains. I live in Hua Hin. My current cultures seem to be losing their strength. Time to get hold of fresh ones. How do I get hold of some? Regards

By the way: it is possible to convert milk kefir grains to water kefir grains. For those interested, maybe this link is of some help: http://www.culturesforhealth.com/convert-milk-kefir-grains

Edited by adventuroushushin

Hey there, I am interested in Kefir Grains. I live in Hua Hin. My current cultures seem to be losing their strength. Time to get hold of fresh ones. How do I get hold of some? Regards

By the way: it is possible to convert milk kefir grains to water kefir grains. For those interested, maybe this link is of some help: http://www.culturesforhealth.com/convert-milk-kefir-grains

No, kefir and water grains are different and require different substrates. You may have some short term success with coconut milk, but seriously, you're already having trouble keeping your grains in good condition in milk, never mind trying to convert them.

You need to look at your brewing techniques and specifically your brewing temperatures because they should last a life time. My grains are as good today as they were 4 years ago when I started. There is quite a bit of information I've given on this earlier in this thread, so instead of repeating it here, read back.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some useful information and something that people always ask:

How much kefir grain does one use in a certain volume of milk?

I did some calculations today: I used 400g of kefir grain (strained - not rinsed) in 5L of milk, and that took 24 hours to brew at room temperature, around 31 °C (July). This is using dormant grains which had been refrigerated for nearly a month.

So about 8% grain weight/milk weight) should be sufficient for brewing purposes.

This works out to 40g of grain to 500ml of milk. A bit more or a bit less won't matter, it will just change the brewing time. Also, if you brew daily the grains will be more active, so it could require less grain or result in faster brewing time.

This is a lot less than you'll see mentioned on Dom's kefir site. He suggests about a 1/4 ratio. I'm finding a lot of Dom's information to be incorrect. Of course he probably doesn't know anything about brewing year round in hot, humid tropical climates as he is in Adelaide, which has cold winters and hot, dry summers.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

I did some calculations today: I used 400g of kefir grain (strained - not rinsed) in 5L of milk, and that took 24 hours to brew at room temperature, around 31 °C (July). This is using dormant grains which had been refrigerated for nearly a month.

So about 8% grain weight/milk weight) should be sufficient for brewing purposes.

This works out to 40g of grain to 500ml of milk. A bit more or a bit less won't matter, it will just change the brewing time. Also, if you brew daily the grains will be more active, so it could require less grain or result in faster brewing time.

This is a lot less than you'll see mentioned on Dom's kefir site. He suggests about a 1/4 ratio. I'm finding a lot of Dom's information to be incorrect. Of course he probably doesn't know anything about brewing year round in hot, humid tropical climates as he is in Adelaide, which has cold winters and hot, dry summers.

I brew both in Thailand and in Perth Australia.

There is a huge difference.

In Thailand the kefir brews in 24 max.

In Perth I need two or three days for the same amount.

• Like 1

Yet continuous brewing at Thailand's room temperatures eventually leads to kefir grain death, so the accelerated brewing has payback eventually. Are you using my infrequent brewing method? It used to be a nightmare back in the days when I was brewing it daily. I think I probably would have given up already if I was still doing that.

• Like 1

Yet continuous brewing at Thailand's room temperatures eventually leads to kefir grain death, so the accelerated brewing has payback eventually. Are you using my infrequent brewing method? It used to be a nightmare back in the days when I was brewing it daily. I think I probably would have given up already if I was still doing that.

I brew every three days.

I guess I could extend that to five if I got a bigger container.

• Like 1

I brew every three days.

Just a few questions if I may:

1. Do you cover the grains with milk when you store them for 3 days in the fridge?

2. If so, has the milk turned to drinking kefir in 3 days?

3. How are the grains looking?

I'm assuming that a 3 day refrigerated break will keep them in good condition forever and you don't have to worry about the room temperature on your brewing day.

I keep mine stored for about 3 weeks and the milk I store them in has become drinking kefir, although with a more slimy texture and slightly more bitter, but I always drink it (except for the one time I stored them for 6 months).

• Like 1

I brew every three days.

Just a few questions if I may:

1. Do you cover the grains with milk when you store them for 3 days in the fridge?

2. If so, has the milk turned to drinking kefir in 3 days?

3. How are the grains looking?

I'm assuming that a 3 day refrigerated break will keep them in good condition forever and you don't have to worry about the room temperature on your brewing day.

I keep mine stored for about 3 weeks and the milk I store them in has become drinking kefir, although with a more slimy texture and slightly more bitter, but I always drink it (except for the one time I stored them for 6 months).

I always leave them covered in milk.

I like my kefir almost like yogurt so even thou it is in the fridge covered I still bring it outside for say 12 hours to get it to the sour thickness that I like.

A fresh batch requires 24 hours although sometimes 18 hours is enough especially in the warmer months.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had a severe case of gastric reflux/heartburn today.

I went to the fridge and took a half a glass of kefir and all gone fixed almost immediately.

Gotta luv the kefir.

That's very coincidental you should post about this now... A couple of days ago I had a rare, mild case of reflux myself in the evening. I normally only drink kefir first thing in the morning, but I drank a small glass and I too had immediate relief.smile.png

I had a severe case of gastric reflux/heartburn today.

I went to the fridge and took a half a glass of kefir and all gone fixed almost immediately.

Gotta luv the kefir.

That's very coincidental you should post about this now... A couple of days ago I had a rare, mild case of reflux myself in the evening. I normally only drink kefir first thing in the morning, but I drank a small glass and I too had immediate relief.smile.png

I normally only drink kefir in the morning as well.

I rarely get heartburn or reflux but I made up a sort of nachos because I found some blue corn chips in Central and I think it was the corn chips that caused the reflux.

Anyway it was really painful and I wss going to go to the chemist but then I looked in the fridge saw the kefir drank half a glass and amazingly it was fixed almost instantaneously.

• Like 1

I normally only drink kefir in the morning as well.

I rarely get heartburn or reflux but I made up a sort of nachos because I found some blue corn chips in Central and I think it was the corn chips that caused the reflux.

Anyway it was really painful and I wss going to go to the chemist but then I looked in the fridge saw the kefir drank half a glass and amazingly it was fixed almost instantaneously.

That really is an incredible result. As mine was just a milk case of reflux (actually it happened twice in the week from eating badly), I didn't consider it news worthy, but curing an acute, painful acid reflux in minutes is amazing.

• Like 1

YAy!

My kefir grains from NZ that I dried out have come back to life!

My kefir grains are healthy and multiplying, and I will have some to share in the near future.

I'm in Sukhumvit area if you need to get hold of some.

Cheers

Xx Rochelle

YAy!

My kefir grains are healthy and multiplying, and I will have some to share in the near future.

Cheers

Xx Rochelle

If you're ever travelling around (the world), it's quite ok to just stick the fresh kefir grains in a ziploc back and take them with you. They will be fine for many days in this state. If you're going to Australia or NZ it could be a problem as they would need to be disclosed on the custom's form and for sure Customs won't let them through. Coming into Thailand with them is no problem.

• Like 2

YAy!

Cheers

Xx Rochelle

If you're ever travelling around (the world), it's quite ok to just stick the fresh kefir grains in a ziploc back and take them with you. They will be fine for many days in this state. If you're going to Australia or NZ it could be a problem as they would need to be disclosed on the custom's form and for sure Customs won't let them through. Coming into Thailand with them is no problem.

Hi Tropo, i'd be happy if you could share kefir grains with me. If you live in Pattaya let me know how & where i can meet you.

Thank you in advance, Chantal