Dealing In Shares

I'm interested in learning how to buy and sell shares and obviously tracking their performances. I was wondering if there are any associations out there already up and running or maybe a few like minded people who would be interested in getting together once a week or a month. I'm not looking for an IFA. There are lots of so called IFA's in Pattaya who claim to know what they are doing and I've got a number of friends who have been burned paying them commission for bad advice.

Not a question about visas to other countries, so I'm moving this to here.

I do believe, though, that such activity would be illegal for a foreigner in Thailand unless they had an appropriate work permit.

Take a look at barclays stockbrokers online. They have tutorials and research tools etc that u can use to then make your trading choices.

I'm interested in learning how to buy and sell shares and obviously tracking their performances. I was wondering if there are any associations out there already up and running or maybe a few like minded people who would be interested in getting together once a week or a month. I'm not looking for an IFA. There are lots of so called IFA's in Pattaya who claim to know what they are doing and I've got a number of friends who have been burned paying them commission for bad advice.

To trade in stocks in Thailand, you need to open a trading-account with a local broker (your bank), it is a little paperwork, but not to complicated and you need to deposit minimum 1 million baht into the account as a foreigner. After that you are free to trade over the internet in realtime. Profits are taxfree !! To follow stocks and get ideas what to trade, your broker (I have K-Securities) will supply you with newsletters and e-mail alerts. Or you can check on settrade.com where several brokerages are giving advice during tradinghours (10-12.30 and 14.30-16.30 Mon-Fri) After taking in all information, comes the difficult part: making the the decission what to do or not to do.

I have been doing it more than 3 years now, and apart from being interesting, I am actually making money!! It is really very simple: Buy RED, sell GREEN.

To trade in stocks in Thailand, you need to open a trading-account with a local broker (your bank), it is a little paperwork, but not to complicated and you need to deposit minimum 1 million baht into the account as a foreigner. After that you are free to trade over the internet in realtime. Profits are taxfree !! To follow stocks and get ideas what to trade, your broker (I have K-Securities) will supply you with newsletters and e-mail alerts. Or you can check on settrade.com where several brokerages are giving advice during tradinghours (10-12.30 and 14.30-16.30 Mon-Fri) After taking in all information, comes the difficult part: making the the decission what to do or not to do.

I have been doing it more than 3 years now, and apart from being interesting, I am actually making money!! It is really very simple: Buy RED, sell GREEN.

Very intelligent strategy indeed. Do not lose your hand by talking about your luck just carry on you are right.

Cheers

Brd

An investor

Yes I wouldn't dream of trading in Thai stocks.............. My RBS in UK can set me up with an account for trading shares but being green to this scene, I thought there might be a group alreaady up and running in Pattaya where we could discus the finer points.

To Glanville63.

Why go on a Thai forum if you do not want in Thai stocks ? If you are green to the market, why not learn the market in the country you are living in ? I know I am wasting my time, and I am sure you will get plenty of good advice from the barstool-IFAs in Pattaya. Good luck, you will need it !!

I live in Thailand yes but like you, I know very little about how the Thai thought process works and would have little chance of predicting the movements of the Thai stock market. Also, as you probably know, we are not allowed tp make money in Thaailand but we are able to invest in the UK, where my dividents. if any, will be paid. That is the beauty of the internet. The world is your oyster as the old cliche goes. In a perfect world, I would love to play the markets in Thailand but it's not possible. As I said when I opened this forum, I am not looking to line the pockest of a Pattaya IFA.

I live in Thailand yes but like you, I know very little about how the Thai thought process works and would have little chance of predicting the movements of the Thai stock market. Also, as you probably know, we are not allowed tp make money in Thaailand but we are able to invest in the UK, where my dividents. if any, will be paid. That is the beauty of the internet. The world is your oyster as the old cliche goes. In a perfect world, I would love to play the markets in Thailand but it's not possible. As I said when I opened this forum, I am not looking to line the pockest of a Pattaya IFA.

I disagree- There are great dividend plays in the SET (thailand has some of the worlds highest dividends)- also some hidden gems- just review the top 10 shareholder institutions in some of SET stocks- you'd be surprised at the the number being bought by global big financial players. But im biased- i made a 30% return last year on the SET (with a bit of luck i must admit :-).

I disagree- There are great dividend plays in the SET (thailand has some of the worlds highest dividends)- also some hidden gems- just review the top 10 shareholder institutions in some of SET stocks- you'd be surprised at the the number being bought by global big financial players. But im biased- i made a 30% return last year on the SET (with a bit of luck i must admit :-).

Thanks for your input. I will have to consider SET when I'm better clued up on investing. Good luck with your future investments.