Non Imm O - Retirement

I will be moving to Thailand on a non imm O based on retirement early next month. I do not have a Thai bank account at the moment. Is it OK for me to SWIFT

800,000 baht into my Thai wifes account, open an account in my name when I arrive and then transfer the money into it or do I have to transfer the money

into an account in my name direct.Thanks.

If you start with an O-A visa from your home country (multiple entry) you won't need one baht in a Thai bank account for about two years (if you play it right). I thought it was hard these days to get an O visa (not O-A) with the reason as retirement, in which case yes with the bank account method you need the money in Thailand for at least two months before extension application. So first of all are you really sure you can get this O visa (not O-A) based on retirement?

I wouldn't be concerned about getting the "O" Visa, you are married to a Thai and will not be a problem. When in Thailand you would apply for a one year "Extension of Stay" based on retirement. There is no requirement for the money to be transferred from outside the country, it should be in your account 60 days before the first application, and 90 days each application after.

Edited by beechguy

Arriving with a non-O visa you get permission to stay for 90 days. This gives you 30 days to open a bank account in Thailand in your name alone and get money transferred to it. Should this not be enough, you can get a 60-day extension for visiting your wife and subsequently apply for your retirement extension.

1. There is currently no issue with doing the transfer into wife account and then into your account - but it could be an issue down the line if policy changes again so I would not recommend it.

2. As said you have plenty of time and can easily obtain a 60 day extension if required using the O visa. You may not have time to obtain medical/police report and get an O-A from London.

3. Be sure you set up the ability to SWIFT transfer to a future account number with your UK bank before you leave. Or you might consider using Bangkok Bank for your account here and then could transfer using the UK BACS system at, I suspect, lower costs. Just make sure you do not have to make transfers in person if you are going to be in Thailand.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Transfering%20Funds/Transferring%20into%20Thailand/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20UK/Pages/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20UK.aspx

I donot have a work permit and have a bank account and a brokage account. All they wanted at Kbank was a Thai address no hotel, same for brokage.

When did you open those accounts? Existing accounts will remain in place, but opening a new account is the problem at some times.

There is and never has been any such rule. Some banks have claimed such when they too lazy or for other reasons do not wish to open an account but people have always been able to open down the street or around the block. It can take patience but in time a yes is received. Bangkok Bank officially states there conditions for opening account on there web site and it does not require work permits or even non immigrant visa entry.