New Fee From Air Asia

theoldgit

Looks like Air Asia are bringing in a new charge for those that book after 21 September, a Counter Check-In fee of RM10 per Guest, think that's about 100 Baht, you can avoid this fee by using their Mobile or Web check. Seems like it's only their AK flights at the moment, I suppose it will not be too long before FD flights latch on to this. It might be interesting at check-in as it would seem to depend on which flight you are on, they use AK and FD to and from Bangkok.

This is a lift from their Facebook page.

Please take note that all bookings made from 21 September 2011 (GMT+8) onwards will be subjected to a Counter Check-In fee of RM10 per Guest. Bookings made before 21 September 2011 (GMT+8) will not be affected. However, you can opt for self check-in to avoid the charges by checking in via our Mobile or Web check-in facilities, which is free, easy and convenient!

This fee will... apply for all domestic and international flights from all airports where Air Asia (AK) operates. As for Air Asia X (D7), counter check-in charges will apply for flights departing from all airports where the airline operates........

What I not really understand is, and I web-checked in last July, that I had to que up for a counter-check-in anyway.

Took as long as a normal check in even with no check-in luggage.

Anyway, on the 28-9 I'll fly to KL, let's see what happens. I'll web-check in again.

There's a dedicated check in counter for those with no checked bags signed as 'Document Verification' but they allow customers who have web checked in to use it to deposit bags.

I even received a SMS from them reminding me to web check in as there will be no regular check in counters available departing Bangkok, although there were.

Only a matter of time before they switch over as in Malaysia. I suppose it saves them printing costs? Although not at the Ha Noi end where they had boarding passes also and it took longer on the web check in counter than at the normal counter.

Edit: it was quicker at Bangkok end though.

Edited by PattayaParent

Looks like Air Asia are bringing in a new charge for those that book after 21 September, a Counter Check-In fee of RM10 per Guest

Is this fee only for Guests? I don't plan on staying the night with Thai Air Asia, so I've always considered myself a Passenger or a Customer.

What smarmy, wishy-washy BS! :rolleyes:

Air Asia has too many add on fees for me. I'd rather pay full fare and be treated like a human.

I agree with you and will Never fly with then again.....

Neither will I - unless they're the cheapest way of getting where I want to go. You can ride the high horse - I'll ride the cheap horse.

E Mail received from Air Asia.

Dear xxxx,

Experience all the freedom and convenience when you Self Check-In via web or mobile today! It's FREE, SIMPLE & QUICK you'll wonder why you never tried it in the first place.

And it's the best alternative to the THB 100 counter check-in fee.

So go on, try our Self Check-In services. Since it's FREE you've got nothing to lose!

Counter charge for all bookings from 21st September 2011.

Counter check-in fees will apply for departures from:

Australia

Brunei

Cambodia

China

France

Hong Kong

India

Indonesia

Laos

Macau

Malaysia

Myanmar

New Zealand

Philippines

Singapore

Sri Lanka

Thailand

Taiwan

Vietnam

United Kingdom

If the experience of Ryanair is anything to go by(and I think they have close ties), they may start charging for Online Check-in later.

Ryanair introduced the model in which they encouraged you to check-in online by charging to check-in at the airport and now they have introduced a charge for checking in on-line.

I only bother to fly with these people on Promo flights.

Air Asia has too many add on fees for me. I'd rather pay full fare and be treated like a human.

Right, so let me get this straight...

You'd pay more for your ticket rather than check in online? Who treats you like a human? The airline that over charges you but smiles nicely while they do it?

It's a mode of transport, it takes you from A to B, they aren't surgeons or architects!

When I fly from BKK to Chiang Rai, I should fly with Thai then should I? Over 5,000 baht because they 'treat me like a human' as opposed to Air Asia 3,300 baht (often much less) and they do what differently? Nothing, it's a plane, I sit on it and it flies through the sky until it lands and I get off.

'Treating me like a human' as they smile and take an extra 2,000 baht off me? Treating me like a mug more like!

Air travel is just travel, it's not special any more, you don't need to be made to feel that you're important because you're on a plane, or maybe you do!

Customer service is fairly important, but I've never found Air Asia lacking in that department, I turn up, they take my bag, give me a boarding pass, I get on the plane and off we go. How is any other airline different? They all have similar planes, the seats are seats, the distance between two fixed points remains constant, what do you get for over 50% more cost?

Anything? Really?

I'm looking for some flights BKK-CNX at the moment and Nokair with cheapest flights plus 107bt for extra baggage are far cheaper than Airasia - and Don Muang is nicer than Suvarhabumi

The idea is to shop around and see who offers you the best price on the day, I recently booked return flights to Chiang Mai for four adults, total price on Air Asia, including their convenience fee, was under 2,500 Baht, nobody else came close. Don Muang may be a nicer airport than Suvarnabhumi, I really don't know, but Suvarnabhumi is pretty functional and with a short ride on the airport train link from my condo it works for me.

These days life is about choices, we all choose which works best for us.

Right, so let me get this straight...

You'd pay more for your ticket rather than check in online? Who treats you like a human? The airline that over charges you but smiles nicely while they do it?

It's a mode of transport, it takes you from A to B, they aren't surgeons or architects!

When I fly from BKK to Chiang Rai, I should fly with Thai then should I? Over 5,000 baht because they 'treat me like a human' as opposed to Air Asia 3,300 baht (often much less) and they do what differently? Nothing, it's a plane, I sit on it and it flies through the sky until it lands and I get off.

'Treating me like a human' as they smile and take an extra 2,000 baht off me? Treating me like a mug more like!

Air travel is just travel, it's not special any more, you don't need to be made to feel that you're important because you're on a plane, or maybe you do!

Customer service is fairly important, but I've never found Air Asia lacking in that department, I turn up, they take my bag, give me a boarding pass, I get on the plane and off we go. How is any other airline different? They all have similar planes, the seats are seats, the distance between two fixed points remains constant, what do you get for over 50% more cost?

You have summed it up pretty well Biff, I don't care what it says outside of the aircraft, I want a plane that gets me there on time and as cheaply as possible, if I can get a smile well that's a bonus.

I always shop around for the best deal, inevitably that means I fly Air Asia, I avoid the fees, with the exception of the convenience fee because I'm too lazy to open a new bank account, I travel in newer aircraft and usually get a smile, but each to his own.

annoyed.gif well the latest check in charges by Air Asia will simply serve for me to check carefully the competition, instead of assuming they are the cheapest which they usually were.! Did this the other day and lo and behold Nok Air was much cheaper for a flight to CM and Woopee ANA was exactly the same for a flight to Osaka. Now which airline would you prefer?

Neither will I - unless they're the cheapest way of getting where I want to go. You can ride the high horse - I'll ride the cheap horse.

I agree 100%. sscsamui response is typical of some of the knee-jerk reactions, we see on TV, to what is only a 100 Baht deterrent.

High horses don't get you from Bangkok to Bali - Air Asia does.

I am now waiting for AirAsia to follow Ryanair's proposal for a charge for using the toilet ! What a great opportunist Michel O'Leary is.

What most of you AA huggers miss is this.

As a AA user from the very first flight in Thailand i would use them inside Thailand at least once a month, International about every 9 weeks...then all this garbage started with add-ons, (example: hot seats??? almost always empty...they upgrade people at the airport for free to put people in them, happened to me a couple of times)

So after all the add-on cr_p started i now use AA inside Thailand twice a year, International once a year (and these are maximum) so AA have done well with me and actually Thai/Nok get my business now

Yes you get what you pay for and they is why I prefer other Airlines if choice is available

I believe now on ryan air you have to pay to use the toilet on the plane,

on another note, i went to Vietnam 2 weeks ago, HCMC, return flight with airasia was 9800 Baht, return with Vietnam Air was 8800 Baht, always check the airlines as well as the cheap ones, sometimes they do work out a better bet.

edit, just saw someone else already mentioned the poo tax on ryan air

Edited by random

I believe now on ryan air you have to pay to use the toilet on the plane,

No they don't, they come up with ideas from time to time to keep Ryanair in the public eye.

That said, never say never.

I do agree with you point of shopping around for the best fare, AA has always been good for me if I book well in advance, we are going to Macau next month for 3,000 Baht each and Hanoi next Feb for 1,840 each, but these flights were booked in Feb this year. However we went to Singapore recently and booking at the last minute Cathay Pacific undercut AA by a long shot.

Edited by theoldgit

They only mention checking in by mobile and website for free. At Kuching a few weeks ago everybody had to check in on a machine close to the check in desk to get their boarding ticket. Will these machines be available at all departures at all airports for free ? Cant see anything mentioned.

I looked up an AA flight to Singapore recently.

I have traveled before with AA to Singapore - so already knew about the baggage fee, the seat allocation fee, the airport tax, the 'convenience' fee etc etc..

What I had never seen before was the 'Airport fee' or the ' Aviation Levy', or the 'Passenger Security Fee', or the 'Passenger Service Fee' all add-ons on the Singapore - Thailand leg.

so:

Airport Fee

Aviation levy

Pass. Security Fee

Passenger Service Fee

Airport tax

checked baggage fee

seat allocation fee (optional)

convenience fee

On two occasions I have not used the seat allocation option but they have put my partner and I in completely different seats when checking in, and when I asked if we could at least sit together (anywhere) I was snapped at that "you cannot choose your seat"

Surely this is deliberate to force people to pre book (and pre pay) for their seats.

AA used to be a budget airline (remember their 500 baht tickets or even free tickets (just pay taxes) - but they have crept up to the regular airlines now and in some cases (as in my last flight) actually overtaken the regular airlines - pricewise.

"Another fee from Air Asia"! SHOCK!!! GASP!!!

My favourite Air Asia Fee is the fee "for paying". I tried opting out of paying to save that fee but didn't seem to manage.

They have no credibility with me. An Air Asia Sale means nothing anymore. They are always my last choice now. A long time ago they didn't include taxes in their price quotes online so I preferred 12go because they were straight with their prices. Finally, AirAsia also started to include the taxes in the quote. I respected that...Then they introduced several other fees that aren't included in the original quote. I am tired of them. If its considerably cheaper, I probably would use them but I really don't want to waste my time on their BS system finding out.

Edited by blakegeee

Too expensive now for a (budget airline haha) i think they have lost alot of customers pay extra for this and that

same as booking with any normal airline now why bother there seats are not good small leg room for me anyway.

Love there motto NOW EVERYONE CAN FLY! yeah if you pay heaps go through all there booking crap not for me anymore

may as well fly bigger airlines pay the same price as AA and less hassles

What comes next??? Fee for aircon, fee for using the stairs to enter the plane (otherwise you have to use a rope), fee for toilet, fee for a smile...

I have stopped to fly with this airline since half a year. Tired to waste my time with online booking on a crappy website which gives you the final price only at the end of the procedure. And this price is often horrible for a low cost carrier.