How To Reach Gutters On Roof?

la69

Greetings, peeps!

I need to do maintenance of the gutter system on my two-storey house as some of them are leaking :hit-the-fan:. Most of the them are beyond reach however. I either need a very long ladder of around 6-7 metres (scary!) or to get some kind of utility vechicle like a small size crane or similar.

There is a 5m "tower" in the area they move around where needed to use for electric cables work and such but I can't get that one in position due to trees, bushes, pool and such.

Any suggestion on where I might find this in Cha Am, Hua Hin or Peatchburi area? Or if there are some companies offering roofwork/gutter repair service? I'd be more than happy to pay for their services as long as prices are reasonable ;)

/la

I have the same problem, so I was going to make my own ladder from bamboo, like the utility workers use. Helps if you have access to a stand of bamboo, but if not, it must be available somewhere.

Bamboo ladders flex quite a lot as you climb them. Not for the faint hearted.

I know, I've used a 7m one :unsure:

Yeah, I'v been thinking about building a ladder myself. I'm not a very good carpenter though but how hard can it be to build a 6-7 m long ladder? ;)

I'm more worried about it slipping/skidding away when I'm on the top and nowhere to secure a safety line...

I would prefer renting a truck with ladder or similar though. Any ideas where I could find something like that?

Yeah, I'v been thinking about building a ladder myself. I'm not a very good carpenter though but how hard can it be to build a 6-7 m long ladder? ;)

I'm more worried about it slipping/skidding away when I'm on the top and nowhere to secure a safety line...

I would prefer renting a truck with ladder or similar though. Any ideas where I could find something like that?

The advantage of building your own ladder is that you can make it wider at the base to provide stability. Just need one of those handy multi size hole saws ( and electric drill ) from Home Pro, and bamboo. Plus of course some tie wire and nails to hold the thing together. Just check out the ones on the utility trucks to get the idea.

If the ladder base would be on soil, just dig a couple small holes for the leg bottoms to prevent slipping. Otherwise a helper to steady the ladder.

We have two big trees in the garden that drop their helicopter seeds so our gutters need to be cleaned often.

I have three sets of scaffolding frames, and one set of wooden planks that go on the top one, the bottom frame has wheels so it can be easily moved and then locked in position.

The cost of the frames is around B1350 each. wooden planks are also available at most building supplies as they are used for formework. I used a power saw to cut them to the correct length. Our roof height only requires two frames and one aluminum ladder to climb to the top.

Maybe you don't have clear access around the house for a frame on wheels in which case I would get the people that install gutters to come and clean them out for you, anything is better than climbing up those bamboo ladders they are plain just not safe.

• 2 weeks later...

How hard is the fall from a 6-7 meter ladder? Pay someone. Labor is cheap. Hospital bills are not.

Call some of your local real estate agents that manage rentals. One of them will be willing to put you into contact with a handyman.

Hire a local (they could use the money) and you can supervise from the safety of the ground with a cold adult beverage in your hand.;)

How hard is the fall from a 6-7 meter ladder? Pay someone. Labor is cheap. Hospital bills are not.

Call some of your local real estate agents that manage rentals. One of them will be willing to put you into contact with a handyman.

Hire a local (they could use the money) and you can supervise from the safety of the ground with a cold adult beverage in your hand.;)

lol ....yes built my own bamboo ladder ( drilling, gluing, wiring ...4 days work with wifey laughing at me...("why you not buy one.. you old already"!!) to connect electric..never again....shat myself climbing up to access the power poles....ants have eaten it now...buy one if you can find a vendor.( ya never see 'em when you need 'em!!)...still looking for aluminum extension ladder for the "once a year:" use..best option for DIY'ers.. :bah:

I agree 100% with PP, pay a local to do the job for you. I would certainly not consider entrusting my life (yes a fall from that height could kill) to a home-made ladder.

I agree when it comes to reaching the top/getting on the slanted roof of a two story house....pay a local to do it. I'm 200lbs plus and I bought a 24ft fiber glass ladder (very steady but heavy) in order to get on top of my two story house at a certain location (which is really a concrete ledge/platform) whenever I need to play with my satellite dish or change roof shingles that I can get too fairly easily on the roof (i.e., not to close to the edge of the roof). I use the ladder for wall maintenance/painting also. I'm definitely a Do-It-Yourself type person for most things, but when it comes to "cleaning gutters on a two story house" let the locals do it....that's just too close to the edge of the roof or too far to safely extend a ladder to be rested against roof shingles, especially in how the roof edge/gutters probably extend out around 4 feet from the wall top. I expect the locals will only use a ladder to get up on the roof wherever they feel it's the safest point to access the roof and then crawl around on the roof/the edge of the roof to clean the gutters....or at least that's how I'm seen them do it in my moobaan/on my soi several times.