33,000Baht Electric Bill

engine1589

I moved into a brand new condo almost one year ago and never received an electric bill (the water bill came every month and was paid). During this time, myself and my fiance both asked why we had not received a bill and we were told because the building was new there was no meter in it yet and that I wouldn't have to pay until the meter went in. All of which I would be notified about. So as I am getting ready to move out I am handed a piece of paper that says I owe 33,277.71 for the year which is broken down into months but on a basic word doc. I understand having to pay electricity and thought I was livin it good so I guess this is more of a gripe than anything else however, if anyone has any advice or had to deal with something like this before please let me know. Thank you.

You should have insisted on a meter from the outset as your bill is now guess work. Condo developments usually have a main meter then the freeholder fits a secondary meter to each condo which he sets his own tariff to make some cash on the side. :(

Yikes..thats nearly 3k per month :o

Theres no way you could possibly rack up that sort of bill, with a meter or otherwise. You would have to run the air con 24/7 and have hot showers and be cooking every 4 hours.

I have never paid over 1,500 per month for power, and thats with 2 people not bothering to economise.

Maybe you should tell them this much usage is just simply not possible and see what is the response.

You should have insisted on a meter from the outset as your bill is now guess work. Condo developments usually have a main meter then the freeholder fits a secondary meter to each condo which he sets his own tariff to make some cash on the side. :(

It sounds like the managers have recieved one very big power bill for the total running costs of the plant, and have then averaged that bill out amongst the tennants occupying the building.

Maybe get together with the other tennants and see if they have also had the same treatment. If so, then maybe you could approach the managers and point out that the tennants should only have to pay for the power into their own premises..not the whole building

word document? sounds like a scam to me. IF its written in ur contract that u pay bills directly to the electric company without any surcharge(usually the deal w condos), do not pay this. if there was no meter then they have no way of knowing what amount of electricity u used. refuse to pay unless they can provide authentic documents from the electric company. if they try to withhold ur deposit, take ur lease agreement to a lawyer and have him write them an official letter threatening lawsuit. to me, it sounds like management is simply trying to rip u off. if thats the case, they will most likely refund ur money immediately after receiving the letter. law fees r cheap here and should be no more than 5k or so

i once moved into a new condo and was told the same thing. was not billed the first 5 months or so and was never asked for backed bills. goodluck

It sounds like the managers have recieved one very big power bill for the total running costs of the plant, and have then averaged that bill out amongst the tennants occupying the building.

Maybe get together with the other tennants and see if they have also had the same treatment. If so, then maybe you could approach the managers and point out that the tennants should only have to pay for the power into their own premises..not the whole building

quite possibly the case as well. but again, as a renting tenant, i would doubt ur legally responsible for this. consult w a lawyer(usually free) before paying anything

I have never paid over 1,500 per month for power, and thats with 2 people not bothering to economise.

My bill is around 4,500 - 6000 per month. I have friends that have seen more than 10,000 a month. Some aircon-units use several kilowatts per hour. At 3-7 Baht a unit, you do the math..

ON TOPIC: I think your bill seems reasonable. A pity you have to pay in a lump sum like that though..

Edited by mortenaa

In a very hot month I may have 2 air-cons running all the time. Fridge, washing machine, dryer, cooker.....

The largest bill I have received is B4500 ish....

If the Op spends plenty of time in his Bangkok apartment and if that apartment has 2 or more air-con units this doesn't appear terribly excessive (B2750 per month)....

Mine was running 2500 a month until I bought a fan. I also noticed the place I live charges 7baht per unit and not 3. Now I use the AC only for an hour at night and 1 hour in the morning if the two fans I have do not make it cool enough. Usually the condos are very good about the power bills you can even pay them in 7-11. Sorry to hear it sounds like they are robbing the Ol Bank of Farang pay more Thai pay less.

3000 average

family 2 kids

waterheater

2 aircons

NongKhai

Theres no way you could possibly rack up that sort of bill, with a meter or otherwise. You would have to run the air con 24/7 and have hot showers and be cooking every 4 hours.

Maybe you should tell them this much usage is just simply not possible and see what is the response.

In a very hot month I may have 2 air-cons running all the time. Fridge, washing machine, dryer, cooker.....

The largest bill I have received is B4500 ish....

If the Op spends plenty of time in his Bangkok apartment and if that apartment has 2 or more air-con units this doesn't appear terribly excessive (B2750 per month)....

Sounds reasonable to me too unless he has used fans instead of AC for the last year.

Dude, if your landlord doesn't have all the individual bills he doesn't have a legal leg to stand on. Put simply the word document is made up nonsense with out the actual bills to back it up. In Thailand you learn from an early age to keep all bills and recepits. If the landlord has lost them, that is his problem. He could contact the electricity dept and get a summary of the bill, but the onus is on him not you, unless the electricty bill is in your name.

I can promise you your landlord will shout and scream until he's blue in the face, threats will flow and he'll tell you he'll call the police and have you deported. Stand your ground clamly with a smile on your face and do not rise to any of his provacations, be polite and have a witness as well. And most importantly keep repeating the mantra "Can is see the original monthly electricity bills for my apartment?'

If he's running his business incorrectly - that his problem.

Seems more than a coincidence this appears as you are ready to move out, maybe been increased to make sure they dont pay you your deposit back, which would be typical. I would ask the basis of the amount, how it was reached, if didnt sound reasonable or correct then balance it against money due back to you. If the money due back is less, then avoid all the hassle and possible disputes and just walk away and think of the deposit as prepaid electric. and leave.

Edited by CharlieH

I think we pay about 1200 or 1500 a month for a 3 bedroom apartment w 3 aircon units. This includes the added percent(s) of the building. It is my wife and I and daughter. I would guess on average it equals running 1 a/c unit 18 hours a day since the bedroom ones are on all night but our daughter probably stays at her friends apartment 2 or 3 nights a week.

You should check to see what rate they are charging you to see how much they have marked it up and at least negotiate that down.

My bill is around 4,500 - 6000 per month. I have friends that have seen more than 10,000 a month. Some aircon-units use several kilowatts per hour. At 3-7 Baht a unit, you do the math..

ON TOPIC: I think your bill seems reasonable. A pity you have to pay in a lump sum like that though..

If your in a regular condo YOU are being ripped off. :(

I live in a 125sq.m condo and use air con sparingly and my bill is 3000 - 4000 THb per month.

Therefore, although it is on a word doc the figure seems in the right ball park.

Condo's are usually more expensive per kWh than a direct grid tied connection.

Big house and two "A/C's",5 wall fans,two floor fans,three TVs,washer,lights mother -in-law who is afraid of "Ghosts",so between her & my "Always on bedroom ac & two computers..avg is @3,000Thb..family of six.In America ,I would be paying close to 400.00usd per month(12,000Thb)it is a bargain..The "Ghost" part means the lights & TV stay on......LOL!I did rent a condo for 6 months and that electric bill was in the 2,000 range(70sqm with two A/C)Your bill seems very normal.I would be wanting to see the "REAL " figures,not a word doc.Proceed with caution dealing with any kind of billing not coming from a know & trusted source.

I live in a 125sq.m condo and use air con sparingly and my bill is 3000 - 4000 THb per month.

Therefore, although it is on a word doc the figure seems in the right ball park.

Condo's are usually more expensive per kWh than a direct grid tied connection.

Another who is being ripped off. :realangry:

I pay under 1000 baht last month with 2 aircons..... Sometimes up to 1600 baht maximum. We have a 3 baht meter so not a ripoff here. Living in a new 2br condo .

Edited by balo

I live in a condo by the river (75Sq M)) and the elec bill is usually 3k+ (air con 6 hours per day). My fellow ex pats who live in the same appartment block are paying 3-6k per month. Highest monthly bill nearly 10k!! (125 SqM).

Many people say it's high but I think it's normal for condo's.

Condo elec prices are higher - I don't think your bill is out of line.

If you are paying to the condo's management, I think it's fair if you are using aircon every day or so. Mine (6B a unit) at a 40Sqm Condo is 2,000 - 2,500B a month.

Once I start paying myself at 7-11 when I moved, it's only 1,200 - 1,500B.

3 k a month is what i pay almost every month , doesnt seem like a lot to me ,im guessing you dont use the a/c much at all and eat out a lot.:whistling:

In my gf's appartment in BKK her elect bill jumped from about 600 baht a month to well over 2500 a month . She uses only fans and is on a low floor wirh a shady garden next to her balcony so AC is not really required. I just drew up an excell sheet showing all the previous bills and she showed it to the "manager" who then quickly discounted the electricity. Apparently the manager couldn't do the maths and just guessed the amounts and she could not argue about the evidence when presested to her in an excell sheet altho i doubt she didn't still doesn't understand the process of calculating the elec bills fairly but now knows to keep my gf's somewhere near the previous bill .