Electric Bills-- Prices Up Sharply

steelepulse

I just received our new electric bill for the house and was shocked to see it up by about 35%. I went to ask Mrs. SP about this and she said her bill for her shop was up 50%, so she called the electric company. They told her it went up last month and I am wondering if it's just in the south, or if this has affected the whole island, if not all of Thailand. We have gov't metres at said properties, so it's not a private thing.

In Kata the same price per unit. Don't know about my home in Rawai yet, still waiting for it.

The monthly bill in Kata was higher for me, but that was because of a higher usage, not because of a price increase.

The rate went up slightly it seems. I divided my amount due by units used and it was 3.35 before. Now it's 3.51 per unit.

So that's a 5% increase, a lot different from claims of 35% and 50% increase. It's not unusual for rates to fluctuate a few percent as there is variable factor (listed on the bill) to account for oil prices (used to fuel the power stations).

I just found the prior bill and it appears our usage was up 35%,but the price per unit remained the same. I'll have Mrs SP check her shop bill but I think it will be the same outcome, for whatever reason energy consumption up drastically in both locales.

I just found the prior bill and it appears our usage was up 35%,but the price per unit remained the same. I'll have Mrs SP check her shop bill but I think it will be the same outcome, for whatever reason energy consumption up drastically in both locales.

My usage was up too. Maybe that's my rate went up slightly...

I just purchased a large shop type fridge .. and was shocked at how much electric it used. One of the Sanden. What is about normal. I was away for a month and my electric was still 800. Not sure of the cleaning lady was running my washing machine or what.. Did expect it to add so much to what should have been a very small bill.

I just purchased a large shop type fridge .. and was shocked at how much electric it used. One of the Sanden. What is about normal. I was away for a month and my electric was still 800. Not sure of the cleaning lady was running my washing machine or what.. Did expect it to add so much to what should have been a very small bill.

You'' get a much better comparison if you compare with a normal month.

I have chest freezers which are very expensive to run here. About 400 bht per month each freezer.

Are you talking about a bottle type fridge as these are also expensive to run.

large shop fridge with glass doors? no wonder!

large shop fridge with glass doors? no wonder!

yep

glass doors and old tech compressors, got some of them and they suck power mak mak, and thus generate equally heat, so much most of them have a fan to get rid of the heat. In addition, in a shop or bar, they are opened hundreds of times a day and goods replaced often

Yes exactly. NO i open them max once or twice a day. Used for storage of grains etc.

But now that we are on the subject I dont understand the temperature.. I have it at the least coolest setting but I do get strange numbers.

So what is better that is about the same size?

Yes exactly. NO i open them max once or twice a day. Used for storage of grains etc.

But now that we are on the subject I dont understand the temperature.. I have it at the least coolest setting but I do get strange numbers.

So what is better that is about the same size?

any household fridge with EGAT 5 energy class sticker on the door uses far less power. But no glass doors to display easily in bar or shop

is your temp control manual (like turning a wheel) or electronic (buttons) with red light display? I find the later to work fine, keep it within 2-4 Centigrades

Is it supposed to show the unit rate on the bill? Mine doesn't.I used 4406 units this month for a bill total of 17,154 baht (vat deducted) which calculates to 3.89 baht per unit.

Why does it vary so differently per unit?

Is it supposed to show the unit rate on the bill? Mine doesn't.I used 4406 units this month for a bill total of 17,154 baht (vat deducted) which calculates to 3.89 baht per unit.

Why does it vary so differently per unit?

Bill does not show unit price. Unit price varies depending on how many units/Kwh you use in one month. Low use, low unit price, pass a limit and next unit price level, pass one more limit and next unit price level. Fair system IMHO.

Hi I am not displaying, just need it for storage .. is there something else commercial in the same price range that uses less electric? I don't need the door racks :)

I bought this because it was for a 2nd hand refrigerator for sale at my neighbors house. So convenient but would happy sell it (for about 16K) in exchange for one that uses less electric. They go for about 27k new.

Edited by MisterMan

• 2 weeks later...

A pipe lay barge in the gulf of Thailand accidentally pulled up one of the main 36 inch gas trunk lines around May / June. The gas from this line does up to 70% of EGAT's electricity. And i have heard it's still not repaired yet. That's why all our bills have increased. On top of that the insurance company and the construction contractor are arguing over who's going to pay for it. We are talking billions here, and not baht either.

A pipe lay barge in the gulf of Thailand accidentally pulled up one of the main 36 inch gas trunk lines around May / June. The gas from this line does up to 70% of EGAT's electricity. And i have heard it's still not repaired yet. That's why all our bills have increased. On top of that the insurance company and the construction contractor are arguing over who's going to pay for it. We are talking billions here, and not baht either.

Thanks for the explanation, but the bills have not increased, ie the price per unit has not. Some people have used more so pay more, so people have used less so pay less.

Thanks for the explanation, but the bills have not increased, ie the price per unit has not. Some people have used more so pay more, so people have used less so pay less.

Same here. Our electric unit price has not increased this month.