Stricter Requirements For Tourist Visa Applicants

UPDATE:

Good post!

Talked to MFA this afternoon, and without them going into details, they kindly advised me to inform our members, that for bona fide tourists it is not really a problem if applying for TR from your homeland. What they really want is that applicants that are more or less residing in Thailand should apply for a NON-Immigrant visa instead. They told me It *will* be stricter for people living here with tourist visas, as this is the wrong visa type. All according to MFA this afternoon.

Sorry guys, I don't have more info for now.

If you talk to them, could you get them to explain why people under the age of 50 are not wanted to stay in Thailand?

What's with this "magical" age-separation?

I don't want to marry anyone to stay here, I don't want to take any bogus education to stay here, and I most certainly don't want to work in Thailand (or wherever) to stay here.

If they are so obsessed with financial security let us document a "double size" bank account (1.600.000 baht), or a 10X = 8.000.000, - account, or whatever needed .....

What's so much more attractive for Thailand with an old guy on a minimum UK state pension, compared to a 45 year old self-retired person with enough funds to spend a little money in this country?

They have to draw the line somewhere. 50 is a pretty young age and not unreasonable at all. You must be pretty obsessed with the idea of retiring in Thailand if you would be happy to put 8 million or more on a bank account. You're only young. If you are that cashed up why not explore the world a bit?

I heard there still is an investment visa available for a large amount. 12 million? Ask Lopburi or Maestro.

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually 15 years ago you had to be age 60 to obtain long stay retirement type extension here (age 55 could do at a higher financial level). Now it is age 50 so there has been a reduction in age requirement.

I assume that is true given your expert knowledge of the visa situation. But you no doubt remember that 15 years ago nobody really needed to get a retirement visa to stay here long term (there were easier, more convenient options). The visa situation is far more difficult today for both retirees 50 + and those under 50 who are not retirees. It is more difficult across the board. One proxy measure of how difficult it has become is the number of inquiries on this particular forum.

The only people I feel sorry for are those genuinely married to a Thai, perhaps with a family. They need some relief before there is talk of a new visa.

I don't understand why you should feel sorry for people "genuinely married" to a Thai. There's a non-O visa to take care of them. If they don't meet the financial requirements to get one of those then there is still the option of a multiple non-O to visit family. You would think that anyone deciding to marry a Thai and have children with one would investigate the visa situation first.

You have a point. It is just that quite a lot of these guys get quite stressed. These hard economic times have hit some of them hard and where meting visa financial requirements a few years ago was easy, it is now problematic. Perhaps they are not going about things the right way, but for some it seems to affect family life. "Tourists" can leave any time, but for a man with a family the future is (or seems to them to be) uncertain.

For the record my wife is a farang and I have no personal axe to grind.

I feel that Immigration treats married foreigners (and their Thai wives) terribly here. They're not at all concerned about the family unit when times get tough - however, the foreigners choosing Thai wives should know this going in. It should be a good incentive for foreigners not to marry Thais.

While my position always has been that if you marry a Thai citizen the spouse should have automatic work and residency rights (and property rights), I think complaining about current rules misses the point.

Is it too much to expect that you can earn, or have an income of 40K per month to support your family? (cue the "I can live in Thailand on 10 baht per day" mob...). Given that I am the Thai male an my wife is a foreigner, we don't have to meet the 40K per month threshold, but I wouldn't in my right mind want to live in Thailand unless I was earning at least that (if not many multiples more).

As for work rights, people from time to time whinge about it, but the fact of the matter is that even if foreigners married to Thai's were given automatic work rights, most of them still wouldn't be able to find work - or at least appropriately paid work. The economy is simply not set up that way.

So for me, the rules that people are whinging about are really red herrings.

Plenty of foreigners here do well under the current set up. To make it in Thailand, you really need to have persistence and a decent set of marketable skills. In most cases, you'll need to speak a bit of Thai as well.

You can ease the visa rules all you like, if at the end of the day you don't have these characteristics, you won't survive anyway.

Edited by samran

An old guy on a minimum UK state pensions would not qualify for a retirement extension by a long way. It is people of this ilk (or one type at least) that want the continuous tourist visas. It is these people that the Thai Government want to stop living here before the become a liability to the state (and what this thread is about).

This sort of nonsense is almost as funny as the losers that drone on about the mythical phony Thai/farang marriage as a way to procure a visa.

When have you ever heard of the Thai government providing any sort of welfare benefit or even emergency benefit to a foreigner? They don't even help their own people caught in a dire flood!

Elite Thailand does not see any benefit to penny pinching foreigners living here. Since they cannot force you to spend (yet), suffice you to drag a massive sum of money to its shores and deposit it in its dodgy banks at scant interest @ far < rate of inflation.

If you are a liability - you are in jail!

Edited by bangkokburning

If you are a liability - you are in jail!

no much difference with the USA, go to USA and ask for food stamps and other things provided by the US social wellfare, they will be delighted to kick you out once you ask for a US citizenship.or even baned for the next 10 years...

worse case, they may deport you if the US discover there is discripency in your adress as you you have to register online each time you change houses.

I don't agree with all thai law, but I think we must see what our countries do as well.

and yes i dont agree with many swiss laws too (ex: minarets).

The only people I feel sorry for are those genuinely married to a Thai, perhaps with a family. They need some relief before there is talk of a new visa.

I don't understand why you should feel sorry for people "genuinely married" to a Thai. There's a non-O visa to take care of them. If they don't meet the financial requirements to get one of those then there is still the option of a multiple non-O to visit family. You would think that anyone deciding to marry a Thai and have children with one would investigate the visa situation first.

You have a point. It is just that quite a lot of these guys get quite stressed. These hard economic times have hit some of them hard and where meting visa financial requirements a few years ago was easy, it is now problematic. Perhaps they are not going about things the right way, but for some it seems to affect family life. "Tourists" can leave any time, but for a man with a family the future is (or seems to them to be) uncertain.

For the record my wife is a farang and I have no personal axe to grind.

I feel that Immigration treats married foreigners (and their Thai wives) terribly here. They're not at all concerned about the family unit when times get tough - however, the foreigners choosing Thai wives should know this going in. It should be a good incentive for foreigners not to marry Thais.

or be a good incentive to get future financial plans in order?

A racist post and a reply has been deleted:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

A post has been removed as a poster had deleted quoted post headers as he had reached the maximum number of nested quotes allowed leading to misunderstanding of who posted what. When replying to certain parts of a post, learn how to use the Insert quotation feature.

worse case, they may deport you if the US discover there is discripency in your adress as you you have to register online each time you change houses.

Many places are the same, even in UK as a UK Citizen you have 10 days to change you address on your drivers license.

90 day address reporting is the law in Thailand, I had my house built in early 2004, maybe just maybe will live another 20 years, = I would have had to report to Immigration 110 times that I still live at the same address, X how many other do likewise = a lot of paperwork and trees used., to me is daft but it is the law of the land where I wish to live.

An old guy on a minimum UK state pensions would not qualify for a retirement extension by a long way. It is people of this ilk (or one type at least) that want the continuous tourist visas. It is these people that the Thai Government want to stop living here before the become a liability to the state (and what this thread is about).

As long as the old guy has 800k in a Thai Bank, then they can live very well on the minimum UK state pensions here, with yearly extension..... a few do not have the 800k others do not wish to have 800k in a Thai Bank.

The problems arose as I see it by the money seasoning of 3 months, and the married money being only in the one name and no longer the joint income..

Would it be more fair if there is new requirement this would be for new people coming to Thailand to live ? There are people here that have been here 20 odd years, some much longer the requirement were a lot different then..

For 15 months I did boarder runs on a multi '0' [now back on extensions] but from what I noticed on these boarder runs the people were about even split between the under 30's and the over 50's many well into there 70's.... the now 400k for married and the money in there own name only = a problem so went to 'TR' visa...

What other options ? return back to where they came from 20. 30 years ago, leave behind there house, wife, kids and grand kids going to a place they have not been to for 20, 30 years ?

Not everyone is on the internet, or on Thaivisa, so many have no idea that they can get a multi '0' in Asia if married to a Thai... This is what I lean't on these 90 day boarder runs as to why most of the well over 50's were on double TR Visa's now.

Can they define "Tourist" please ? I am 64, retired but no bank account in Thailand, I use ATM's. I would have trouble complying with the retirement visa requirements because of the way my investment income comes in from several different countries. I am in Thailand for about 9 months each year, broken up by trips to Europe to visit my family for grandkids birthdays, holidays, etc. Typically I will arrive in Thailand in November and stay 4 months, back to Thailand in April for 6 months, but usually broken by trips around SEAsia to cambodia etc as a genuine tourist. I come in on 30 or 15 day permit to enter, get a 60-day 2 entry vise somewhere like Laos. This works for me so I do not want to fall foul of any new restrictions, or tightening of existing ones. Any comment or advice would be greatly appreciated.

1) Visiting Thailand as Retired Person aged 50 years and over

Evidence required:

a) Copy of Bank Statement showing income of minimum £900 per month.

Above is Hull Consulate in UK requirement for multi entry non immigrant O visa (which would serve you well). Suspect other Consulates in Europe/US areas would also issue with such with proof of income to support stay and could allow multi source proof.

Failing that would suggest you obtain a two or three entry tourist visa when in UK for your November visit as that should cover most of your stay(s).

Evidence required:

Above is Hull Consulate in UK requirement for multi entry non immigrant O visa (which would serve you well). Suspect other Consulates in Europe/US areas would also issue with such with proof of income to support stay and could allow multi source proof.

Failing that would suggest you obtain a two or three entry tourist visa when in UK for your November visit as that should cover most of your stay(s).

Holland an Belgium consulates asking income 1250 € witch is higher than the 900 £:(

Evidence required:

Thanks lopburi --

It has been indicated to me that the UK consuls will only accept such proof of income from UK banks, not from foreign banks, but I am not sure if this is true or not.

If I go to Laos with a letter from my consulate in Bangkok saying that I have over the requirement monthly, will they issue me a multi-entry non-imm O visa based on retirement?

In this thread http://www.thaivisa....in-savannakhet/ you comment that

You must use that office for extension of stay as they serve your province.

Can you qualify for Thai Wife extension of stay (400k in bank 2 months or 40k per month income)? If have the 400k but not two months you could obtain 60 day extension on basis of visiting wife to provide time.

Believe Savannakhet will approve 1 year multi entry non immigrant O visa if that is what you decide - take both marriage and work proof with you.

Am I not allowed the multi entry based on retirement -- but can get it if based on marriage?

Edited by jpinx

You did not say anything about marriage to a Thai in your question. Yes marriage issue of multi entry is now reported to be available from Savannakhet and with proof of 100k in bank account at KL. From foreign (UK) consulates it should be routine with no financials other than the normal 20k show requirement of any non immigrant visa.

Sorry for any confusion -- I am not married to a Thai (or anyone else). B)

I was merely wondering if the same would apply to an application based on retirement as did successfully with an application based on marriage as reported in that thread.

Thanks for the input :jap:

This changes are really stupid. Global economic crisis probably will hit hard for the second time this winter but Thailand is making "repeat customers" to go away. It is like a book shop owner says to a customer, "Hey pal, you have bought too many books from me, go away!" :)

I'd bet by next spring hotel, condo and restaurant owners are screaming in pain, thanks to collapsed number of tourists. These "perpetual" tourists are bringing lots and lots of money to Thailand and are also backbone or important extra income to many Thai "extended" families. Especially in economic downturns when jobs are scarce plus the flood victims, making things even worse.

Edited by tim73

This changes are really stupid. Global economic crisis probably will hit hard for the second time this winter but Thailand is making "repeat customers" to go away. It is like a book shop owner says to a customer, "Hey pal, you have bought too many books from me, go away!" :)

Actually they are not. How many of the applicants who apply for tourist visas in neighboring countries are genuine full time tourists? I would say a very small minority.

Actually they are not. How many of the applicants who apply for tourist visas in neighboring countries are genuine full time tourists? I would say a very small minority.

So much did you pay for your shiny "I am really genuine full time tourist"-badge?

duhh! honestly saying i have read the all replies in this topic, so i have came up with the decision of getting a multiple TR here in my country before i go back to thai....i was thinking of coming first on VOA then after that leaving the country to get TR in one of the land neighboored cities. but according to the informations here,, this seems to be not a good idea anymore...i been reading all over the internet about visa runs, this trips are meant to be a real hassle. as i planing to stay not more than 6 months. good deal if i get double TR here!...

so my opinions are about news docs which must be shown, a real pain in the tummy,, not good for thus who keeps doing the visa runs to stay more in a long term within the country. good luck for everyone!... keep safe :)

why would you think about entering Thailand on a VOA instead of getting the correct visa in your home country, a double or three entry visa, I think that most of the problems caused, are by people not getting the correct visa prior to leaving their home country, or failing to plan ahead for the trip.

non imm o' multi entry are still being issued in the uk, for persons married to thai nationals, and for over 50's with enough income proof.£900, OR proof of receiving pension.

why should thailand issue, multiple tourist visa's, a tourist is a tourist. stay in thailand for 3 to 6 months, which is easy, and then stay somewhere else for 3 to 6 months, thats a tourist. Try staying in the uk on repeat tourist visa's,

why should thailand issue, multiple tourist visa's, a tourist is a tourist. stay in thailand for 3 to 6 months, which is easy, and then stay somewhere else for 3 to 6 months, thats a tourist. Try staying in the uk on repeat tourist visa's,

What is your problem with perpetual tourists? You get to decide who is a real tourist and who is not? Is that it?!

I frequently buy tickets very close to the date of going out of choice and pricing. Obviously I have the visa in advance.

Im now obliged to buy the ticket well in advance to allow application for a tourist visa ??

And obviously the "use by date" will now be obsolete and you will have to use on the specific day.

Totally farcical.

What is your problem with perpetual tourists?

You get to decide who is a real tourist and who is not? Is that it?!

The Law in many country states that if you stay more than 6 months you are a Resident, no more a Tourist..

And about the Tourist visa, I got a double-entry TV this week at Monaco consulate.

It takes 10 minutes and what you need is :

- 1 filled form (in French or English)

- 1 photo

- 60 €

- no other question (like hotel, air ticket, ...)

B)

its not stricter...the fact is most everyone can still come and go as they always have...its just the loopholes they closed...i.e one way tickets of the vagabond with no idea where they will stay...so u can show proof of return and a place to live....no matter where u stay so u can stil say your friends house..just be sure they have an address...thats good for the standard 30 day upon arrival as usual....I do it every couple of months and just did it this week again....no worries mate

What is your problem with perpetual tourists? You get to decide who is a real tourist and who is not? Is that it?!

this is NOT the UK it is NOT the USA. in Malaysia they do it, in Korea they do it, all of the countries around thailand you can get longer visas. in the Philippines you can stay years on Tourist Visas. It seems a few who are lucky enough to be able to get a proper visa want to bash those who can not. why I do not understand, maybe they feel the fewer are here the price of buying their girls or boys will be lower. I do not understand why anyone would even retire here when the rules change every year or every month. you sale your house, you make the move, you may get your visa one eyar, after that you are told to get out!! at least malaysia you get a 10 year visa and do not have to worry for awhile at least on the rules changing every month. yes I know most of the item the rules do not change they just enforce old rules or find a loophole to create a new one. attacking each other will not make it better for sure, when they get tough on the visa you have then you will be the one complaining. I have been here a long time but I would not make the move now if I was not already here.

Edited by genobkk

So much did you pay for your shiny "I am really genuine full time tourist"-badge?

The badges cost 1000 baht per entry.

this is NOT the UK it is NOT the USA. in Malaysia they do it, in Korea they do it, all of the countries around thailand you can get longer visas. in the Philippines you can stay years on Tourist Visas. It seems a few who are lucky enough to be able to get a proper visa want to bash those who can not. why I do not understand, maybe they feel the fewer are here the price of buying their girls or boys will be lower. I do not understand why anyone would even retire here when the rules change every year or every month. you sale your house, you make the move, you may get your visa one eyar, after that you are told to get out!! at least malaysia you get a 10 year visa and do not have to worry for awhile at least on the rules changing every month. yes I know most of the item the rules do not change they just enforce old rules or find a loophole to create a new one. attacking each other will not make it better for sure, when they get tough on the visa you have then you will be the one complaining. I have been here a long time but I would not make the move now if I was not already here.

Apparently you have been misinformed about rules changing every year or month.

Where would you go - and why?