Stricter Requirements For Tourist Visa Applicants

It\'s a very nasty thing to apply the new rules straight away.I own a condo in Thailand and I don\'t need to stay in a hotel. But the papers of the condo are inside my condo and I will go to Thailand next month.How can I prove I own a condo if the papers are in Thailand ? Should have imagined they have changed the rules during these weeks ?Thailand is unpredictable, they can change anything at any moment and they create situations.

Indeed a very spectacular post also creating situations. :jap:

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But only if you can come up with 400,000 baht sitting on your Thai bank account for at least three months. Guess not all can do that...:jap:

My guess is that there are ways to show proof of that 400k for 3 days on my bank account even if i dont own 400k rolleyes.gif

There is no mention of 3 days, only 3 months, and then it will be a lot harder

Edited by MJCM

But only if you can come up with 400,000 baht sitting on your Thai bank account for at least three months. Guess not all can do that...:jap:

My guess is that there are ways to show proof of that 400k for 3 days on my bank account even if i dont own 400k rolleyes.gif

It's true that water can be blue...............:jap:

OK, I'm on a double entry tourist visa and about to make the last 30 day extension within a week at Jomtien immigration, Will they give me those 30 days or not ?

Secondly i was about to go to Cambodia in another 3 weeks to make a new double entry visa, but alas that isn't going to work. So is my only option to make a new ED visa now ?

(i 'm on a medical retirement and below 50)

one has to wonder what the official thought he/she was truing to achieve by these measures - apart from making a fool of themselves.

It is only for double entry tourist visas. I suspect it is to target to people who are now refused Non-Imm O visas, as they cannot justify under the new regs.

I know 3 people who have returned on double entry tourist visas, as they were refused to renewal of their one your Non-Imm "O" visa. 2 of those are over 50, but do not have enough static savings for the 800,000 baht required.

So, do you think these guys are getting knocked back because Thai immigration frowns on those with a history of Non-imm "O"'s, who then try to revert back to the tourist visa route as a cheaper option?

So if these guys havent got the immediate cash flow to show for the other visa classes, its like..out you go johnny farang...doesnt matter if your married, got kids or not?

I guess it does make it look kinda obvious they are living in Thailand, especially if they are all back to back entries.

In that regard they are not really toursists, so I guess with that comes the suspicion that they are working..since they havent got the funds to show for the other visa, immigration might assume they are working and earning money to live on within the country.

Strange how the rules and knockbacks arent strictly enforced on everyone tho. Maybe they create these rules so immigration can use them at disgression, for when they have whatever reason to shaft someone, but dont have any proof or want to explain why ?

If you are married to a Thai Citizen you can get a Non-O visa.

:cheesy: dam_n straight!!! From what i read on TV you cant keep 20 baht in the bank for 20 minutes when married to a Thai citizen :whistling:

Financial requirement is in cash when asked at Consulate or border - normally it is not asked unless you appear down and out but is sometimes and in that event you can show the money or make a trip to an ATM to get. It dates back to when cash/travelers checks were normally with traveler and intended to prove you can pay your hotel bills and other expenses during your stay.

So nobody in Thailand pays for hotels with unlimited AMEX cards??

surely high end tourists (the desirable kind) do exactly that...

It's just another "well-thought through" requirement to make these pesky tourist book good, up-market places well in advance because that would suit the travel industry here. Condo owners, "land border crossers" must piss-off now because they were not earning Thailand much income (any more). I saw a T-shirt today and I really liked it. It says: "Same Shit - Diffrent Day".

UPDATE:

I just talked to our contact at MFA again, and I will be granted an phone interview with one of the seniors there at the visa section on Monday and Tuesday next week.

It looks like MFA is very tired of the consulates issuing the wrong type of visas, or applicants are applying for the wrong visa type, to people who are de-facto living here permanently on tourist visas, "TR". They should instead apply for, and be given, a NON-Immigrant visa, but as we all know there is no decent visa class for those under 50 and not married to a Thai, not investors or not having business/ work permit or retired.

The ministry is also concerned that many foreigners here on "TR" is working illegally in the country.

And it looks to me, based on this new info, that this new requirements of flight tickets and hotel booking confirmations for "TR" at this time is targeted to the Embassies and consulates in SE-Asia, but it will be world wide policy shortly. I have not been able to get this confirmed today though.

Hope I can get this sorted and explained to you guys so we can go out with new info in the beginning of next week.

Cheers

George

Shame the facts where not clear before this was put on Thaivisa. Could already have panicked many people worldwide and harmed tourism here.

OK, I'm on a double entry tourist visa and about to make the last 30 day extension within a week at Jomtien immigration, Will they give me those 30 days or not ?

Secondly i was about to go to Cambodia in another 3 weeks to make a new double entry visa, but alas that isn't going to work. So is my only option to make a new ED visa now ?

(i 'm on a medical retirement and below 50)

No reproted change as far as immigration is concerned. Only regarding getting a tourist visa.

Or if you are married to a Thai citizen and will be staying at their/your residence.

Wouldn't you be getting a Non O in that case?

not if you want to stay longer than 30 days but not as long as 1 year.

A tourist visa may well be the easiest (until now) and cheapest way to stay 2~3 months.

But it seems a letter from the wife would fulfill the "If a required document is missing, an explanation letter must be provided" requirement just the same as applying for a UK tourist visa.

I've had a girlfriend there for the past 3+ years. I keep a place ( only rent, 3 bed 2 bath near Rangsit ) that she uses while her oldest son finishes school. I just write down the address the best I know it. Last time I just used a previous address that we rented over a year ago. I usually can easily get tourist visa's that will allow me up to 7 months or so. 60 day tourist stamp, I go get my 30 day extension, at the end of that I do a border run giving me another 60 days, then I can do another border run for another 60 days if I choose to stay that long. Usually I already have a set date and return ticket. They never ask how much money I have in my account or anything. ( This is in Portland Oregon, USA. They are friendly and easy to deal with there. ) They won't enforce the 'hotel reservations' rule much, don't worry about it, make something up, invent some friends and addresses. This is how things are done there.....they're trying to teach us! Ha ha ha ha :-D

Thai Embassies and Consulates abroad to be stricter with requirements when applicants are applying for Tourist visas for Thailand.

Does this apply to "Visa Exempt" entry also?

What happens if the tourists are staying with friends?

Or if you are married to a Thai citizen and will be staying at their/your residence.

Too me this sounds like another way to kill tourism.

yes tourism is at a high wright now 5555 some more stupid rules will make this country really a third world country, but still love it because my best friend is police Major 5555

Only a Major? Us that the best you can do? <deleted> good is a lousy Major?

800,000 baht is for people being not married.. You can easily apply for a Non- O showing 400,000 baht, even older than 50, but you'll have to be married to a Thai citizen. .:jap:

There is a problem to this statement, yes IN Thailand, but outside Embassy and Consulates have there own rules/views/interpretations to this figure, if married to a Thai citizen is common to get a years Visa with proof of 100k in bank, likewise Single non married 400k in Bank.. even in UK the Consulates issue a year visa with 500k in bank...

I was able to get a triple tourist entry, with one 30 day extension, ( 7 months) with only 90,000 baht in my account. That was easy and they did not even really look at my account papers. I am not sure how easy it would have been to get the additional 5 months if I had wanted them......? hmmmm

This rule is nothing at all compared the rules that will still come out to make Farangs mad.....In Thailand they have a special team, who is creating all these idiot rules for Farangs - and they seem to excel at their job.

And why to change the rules at least once or twice a week? Because they want to make you criminal to charge you with a big penalty. And yes, you will lose the case - it´s entirely your fault if you didn´t contact the Thai government to check out today´s rules. Today the rule is this and tomorrow it´s something else. What is something else? Well it´s always twice worse than yesterday´s rules - that´s the rule of big finger. Needles to say that such kind of Anti-Farang attitude cause tourists to feel pissed off and then they go elsewhere - like pure, safe and beautiful Singapore, where is never any problem for tourists or any one, except for criminals.

And why to change the rules at least once or twice a week? Because they want to make you criminal to charge you with a big penalty. And yes, you will lose the case - it´s entirely your fault if you didn´t contact the Thai government to check out today´s rules. Today the rule is this and tomorrow it´s something else. What is something else? Well it´s always twice worse than yesterday´s rules - that´s the rule of big finger. Needles to say that such kind of Anti-Farang attitude cause tourists to feel pissed off and then they go elsewhere - like pure, safe and beautiful Singapore, where is never any problem for tourists or any one, except for criminals.

You are ill-informed.

Singapore has the EXACT same requirements for tourist visas. You must provide full details if you itinerary, have tickets out, and have sufficient funds.

Yes it really is outlandish that the great white God-man not be allowed in on a red carpet and allowed to stay for as long as they want. The gall of these little brown third world peasants!

I think the term is developing world, of which Thailand is not one. Semi-feudal maybe, but not 'third world". So I think your jaundice comments inappropriate on many levels, Richard.

Yes it really is outlandish that the great white God-man not be allowed in on a red carpet and allowed to stay for as long as they want. The gall of these little brown third world peasants!

I think the term is developing world, of which Thailand is not one. Semi-feudal maybe, but not 'third world". So I think your jaundice comments inappropriate on many levels, Richard.

Um...it was tongue-in-cheek. Satirical. I assumed that would be obvious to most people.

Edited by Richard4849

Let me see if I have got this right.... To get a 60 day visa at a Thai Embassy or consulate office you 1st need to book your flight and pay for it and then book and pay your deposit on your hotel accomadation. You then take copies of your tickets and proof of hotel bookings along to the consulate and apply for your visa. Is That right so far?

Ok I turn up at the Consular Office fill out the application give them my passport and pay my fee of approx $80 AUD (Non refundable if not successful) I come back two laters to be told that my application was unsucessful for some reason. I have lost my $80, have a ticket I booked with an agent on Thai airways that I can't use. I want my money back on the ticket, I lose the agents fee and thai airways will only refund 50% of the ticket. I have paid a deposit for accomadation in Thailand which I also lose and probably out of pocket about $1,000 AUD.

Would it not be a more sensible thing to ensure that you have a vis prior to booking flights and paying someone in Thailand for accomadation 1st?

This another 'Hysteria" posts. One assumes that it will be harder to obtain a 'Tourist Visa". It will not be. When you come to Thailand you need a airplane ticket and and are u going to sleep on the beach?? For those you will come here the " transporter" or grow wings, just give them any flight number or any address in Thailand. Do you think they have the resources to check every ""tourist visa"

This post makes no sense.

As far as obtaining a new tourist visa's from Laos or other adjoining countries, crossing the border and returning on foot or bus or car, that is not addressed.

This is troll post.

I would guess that virtually all tourists don't even need a Tourist Visa as they will get 30 days if they arrive on a plane. Which out of the millions of tourists who holiday here do.

How many tourists even need a tourist visa?

Not many at all I'd imagine.

Right, so at the risk of seeming like a whinger: my 70 year old mum comes over each year to spend about six weeks with us here to escape the northern latitudes dark and cold winter doldrums. She does have a return ticket but of course not a hotel reservation. She needs a visa for more than 30 days, and no, I will not put her into a hotel.

Thank you Thai immigration.

In Pattaya its possible to get the 90day stamp in Passport for 12000THB at many of the Visa Agents here . . , After 90 day then go on a visa run to cambodia for a 15 days stamp then . ., do the 90 days stamp again and again . , Easy and no Hassle . . . !

In Pattaya its possible to get the 90day stamp in Passport for 12000THB at many of the Visa Agents here . . , After 90 day then go on a visa run to cambodia for a 15 days stamp then . ., do the 90 days stamp again and again . , Easy and no Hassle . . . !

If a "Visa Agent" puts a stamp in your passport that allows you to stay in Thailand for an additional 90 days this is a fake stamp and you will be in trouble. If the agent assists you with your application for extension of stay and the immigration office approves this application and stamps your passport accordingly you will have no problem, unless perhaps the agent bribed an immigration officer to give you an extension to which you are not entitled and a court finds you guilty of collusion in this bribery.

Extensions of stay are available for a variety of reasons as listed in Police Order 777/2551. Usually, the extension stamp indicates the reason for the extension. What does it say in your passport?

For those who wonder why Thailand wants to tighten up on visitors here just look at the below thread. I do not know what visa he came here on, but whatever - pretty pathetic. A few like this gets us all a bad name, but you can't really blame Thai authorities when you see things like this.

If a "Visa Agent" puts a stamp in your passport that allows you to stay in Thailand for an additional 90 days this is a fake stamp and you will be in trouble. If the agent assists you with your application for extension of stay and the immigration office approves this application and stamps your passport accordingly you will have no problem, unless perhaps the agent bribed an immigration officer to give you an extension to which you are not entitled and a court finds you guilty of collusion in this bribery.

Extensions of stay are available for a variety of reasons as listed in Police Order 777/2551. Usually, the extension stamp indicates the reason for the extension. What does it say in your passport?

I have TR Visa but my friend have done this 3 times in a row now . , Fake or not not sure . , its from Bri&Joy group . . .