Stricter Requirements For Tourist Visa Applicants

Can't see tourists paying for accomodation in advance to secure their reservation

That's probably the biggest hurdle to take. Buying cats in bags in Thailand is the biggest existing hanky panky business that tourists are complaining from. They ask full payment in advance and no way of having refunded something if tourists are not satisfied or the accommodation is not meeting the requested requirements. Immigration wants proof of "confirmed" reservation???? What a mistake!

Where all neighbouring countries are softening their visa requirements (Laos, Cambodia), big brother Thailand is just doing the opposite. "Red shirt or Pue Thai syndrome"?

A couple of more years and Thailand will close its borders for "farang" tourists all heading for neighbouring countries, more hospitable, less cheating, less immigration rules and procedures, genuiner smile, cheaper and simply better. But that's exactly what the Thais want! Somnamna...

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is standard procedure for many, if not most, countries in the world. If you have land, house, TGF, etc, then you should have the corresponding visa for such activities. Yes, they want control of their borders, just like any other country, as their hospitality and lax regulation have been abused over and over. I think many Thais would be quite happy to lose their reputation as whorehouse for the world. Even if it makes my life difficult in some ways, I'd still tend to agree with them.

I still cannot see this as a promotion of tourism... This regulation (and in particular the "confirmed" accommodation) is simply draconian and it will backfire. Ask anyone in Khaosan road if they have booked their 600 THB guesthouse in advance?

An if there is anything in Thailand that the Thais do NOT have to import from abroad, it's whores indeed, although the competition in this field is fierce from East Europeans and neigbouring countries. Just look up the other side of the street if these whores are too embarrassing: at the other side there are the katoeys... B)

Now that's another clever move!

What about all the off-shore workers who have gf/bf/wifes/ family in Thailand and spent their vacation in Thailand ??

Many have 2 month or more time off - at least twice a year - doing nothing but spending our money in Thailand.

WE DO NOT HAVE RETURN TICKETS !!!!! Our companies are usually paying for the airfare - but we travel on one-way tickets - very often we receive our flight details for the return flight just days before returning to work!

So how can we show a return ticket to a consulate ?? If you are onboard a vessel it is already difficult enough to apply for a visa - only if one is lucky and calls ports with a consulate - and finds a consulate which issues a visa the same day - as the ship is leaving again! Some consulates say they only issue visas to their own citizens.

I live in a house in Thailand - I do not need a hotel !

I really think it is time - like some of my friends are already doing - sell up and move on - to a country that is more welcoming than Thailand.

This return or onward ticket is becoming a pain in the arse, I met it last year, I booked a single to Manila from Bangkok, paid for it, then at check in they would not let me fly because it was a single and I could show no onward booking. I explained I had not yet decided how long I was staying in the Philippines or which airport I would fly back from. They still refused, so no flight, and no refund.

I have enjoyed free wheeling around Asia for many years, now it seems I have to plan everything in advance.

That was to meet Philippines Government requirements that you do not overstay whilst there. Nothing new really. I had to show the return ticket,bank statements and a letter from my employer (but not hotel bookings) to get a 59 day Philippines tourist visa and that was 10 years ago.

But what this does show is that Thailand is not different to many other countries. I can't see why people are winging. Must be the ones who believe the world in general and Thailand in particular owes them a living.

Most people don't get tourist visas in advance to visit the Philippines, but just extend once they get there... no requirement of showing air ticket or bank statements to get as many extensions as you want.

It's the airlines that want to see return tickets when entering the Philippines. The Immigration hardly ever ask to see them... just as it is over here.

Now that's another clever move!

What about all the off-shore workers who have gf/bf/wifes/ family in Thailand and spent their vacation in Thailand ??

Many have 2 month or more time off - at least twice a year - doing nothing but spending our money in Thailand.

WE DO NOT HAVE RETURN TICKETS !!!!! Our companies are usually paying for the airfare - but we travel on one-way tickets - very often we receive our flight details for the return flight just days before returning to work!

So how can we show a return ticket to a consulate ?? If you are onboard a vessel it is already difficult enough to apply for a visa - only if one is lucky and calls ports with a consulate - and finds a consulate which issues a visa the same day - as the ship is leaving again! Some consulates say they only issue visas to their own citizens.

I live in a house in Thailand - I do not need a hotel !

I really think it is time - like some of my friends are already doing - sell up and move on - to a country that is more welcoming than Thailand.

how do i get around this? i have booked our flights to Thailand and was planing to stay for 6 months,renting a house, I have only booked a 2 night stay in a hotel, till i find a house but also going the Koh Tao for a week for diving, we then fly from Thailand on the 5th December to Bali which leaves us 76 days from landing, I was going to extend my 60 day visa then go to Bali then come back into Thailand on the 12th to activate the next 60 days. now my plans are up in the air, what a joke might just cancel or try and go to a Thailands neighbours.

The new regulations are quite fair and are the same as a Thai applying for a visa to visit a European country. It says that if you can't supply a hotel booking

all you need to do is have a covering letter saying you will be staying with friends. I can't see what all the fuss is about. Such remarks as "killing tourism" are pathetic.

Tourists are coming here in increasing numbers.

Why is that? Why exactly does one need to have pre-arranged, confirmed (usually means pre-paid) hotel bookings for an entire 60-day trip ahead of time? In two months time one can't travel on an ad hoc basis or shop for better hotel rates after arrival? If you can't see what the fuss is about, I can guarantee many others do in fact have this level of mental acuity. And it's not worth it. Many just will decide it's not worth the bother.

Agreed, it's daft. ;)

As usual in the LOS they get it half right! There's nothing wrong with having to give an address where you will be staying and I would assume by hotel they actually mean accomodation, including staying with family or friends. But to give check in and out dates in frankly ludicrous and smacks of Intourist rules in the old Soviet Union!

They wont check it all anyway.

If you mean that they will not check for the reservations when you submit your visa application you are wrong. I have had it out with them in Singapore about the long standing airlines reservations rule- Argued same point brought up in this forum that my departure will be by bus. No good. I even tried to complaining to the Thailand Tourism Authority whose headquarters is adjacent to Sing Immi. They were very friendly and sympathetic but all I came away with was a half-dozen beautiful Thai Airways ball-point pens.

That would all be well and good but it was also announced on the Thai news yesterday. Honestly it makes it a pain and adds an expense. Easy enough to travel back home and research another nice country to try. Thailand is trying to rid itself of western sexpats and replace them with Chinese sexpats. Don't you know we are out Asian tourists are in. In the future when they are swallowed up like Cambodia by Chinese money they don't expect our institutions to help. If Cambodia was not such a pit it would be worth living there the people actually tend to be nicer. .

So, when will we see the first one of you leaving ?

As always nothing will happens and people will keep living here on 30 years tourist visa !

Who really believes in this kind of announcement that seems to be done only to attract more visitors on Thaivisa ? :-)

Thailand is trying to rid itself of western sexpats and replace them with Chinese sexpats. Don't you know we are out Asian tourists are in.

The same -- or even more onerous -- rules apply to visitors from the PRC, so I can't quite see the logic behind your whine.

To be an' upscaled' destination a country must be upscaled as well.Thailand without the ' sleazy side' is just a boring country having very little to offer to ' upscaled' tourists, at least compared to other countries.Thailand is and must stay cheap,easy,sleazy and hassle-free, basically because this is its charm.

Rhe

of course it hurts tourism. all those backpackers who apply for tourist visas in their home countries before travelling and who generally cross land borders after a number of weeks in thailand will now think 'fuc_k it' and go to cambodia instead. between this law change and the 15-day land border crossing it would appear that thailand doesn't want the backpacker trade any more, only people who fly in and out and who have booked two weeks at their resort on phuket.

They were more than explicit in not wanting backpackers. To be fair, I can see their point. Who wouldn't want to be a high-end tourist destination like Cayman Islands, Tahiti, Seychelles, etc. I just wonder if the gov knows how Thailand compares to those other places.

One thing is for sure - they don't want sexpats living off social security paychecks. Looking at people in Pattaya, I can't blame them for this either. biggrin.gif

They will keep on tightening rules until people start leaving en masses and Thai income from foreigners (long term) drops. They are in the business of making money, not being worlds nursing home.

If you're a bona fide tourist, this rule won't affect you.

Contrary to popular thought, the thousands and thousands of people who are visiting Cambodia,Vietnam, Laos, and Malaysia these days are not just dirty unkempt "backpackers" with no money. They are affluent young (and old), they spend plenty of tourist dollars, support plenty of local economies. Thousands of them are on gap year trips, thousands of others are between work, taking time off, etc, and are out for several months. Due to Thailand's border proximity with neighboring countries, they don't necessarily make air bookings as they travel by land, nor do they make hotel bookings as they don't have fixed itineraries. So yes, this rule will affect thousands and thousands of tourists, not just the thousands who live here with enough money and no need to work, yet not old enough to get a retirement visa.

Completely drop all your stereotypical views of backpackers.

I have met prison wardens, CEOs and multi-millionare football stars from europe who prefer to travel as a backpacker.

Some of them dont even seem to have a change of underwear but millions in the bank. :lol:

B)

If a double tourist visa in the passport and want the next double. How do. Lives in Udonthani in apartment hotels, travel around the Isaan, Thailand

during the tourist visa time travel possible by train to Malaysia or bus to Cambodia, so no airline ticket?

Wonder if there is sufficient evidence the rental contract? :blink:

B)

If a double tourist visa in the passport and want the next double. How do. Lives in Udonthani in apartment hotels, travel around the Isaan, Thailand

during the tourist visa time travel possible by train to Malaysia or bus to Cambodia, so no airline ticket?

Wonder if there is sufficient evidence the rental contract? :blink:

Guess you'll have to try and let us all know.

Can't see tourists paying for accomodation in advance to secure their reservation

That's probably the biggest hurdle to take. Buying cats in bags in Thailand is the biggest existing hanky panky business that tourists are complaining from. They ask full payment in advance and no way of having refunded something if tourists are not satisfied or the accommodation is not meeting the requested requirements. Immigration wants proof of "confirmed" reservation???? What a mistake!

Where all neighbouring countries are softening their visa requirements (Laos, Cambodia), big brother Thailand is just doing the opposite. "Red shirt or Pue Thai syndrome"?

A couple of more years and Thailand will close its borders for "farang" tourists all heading for neighbouring countries, more hospitable, less cheating, less immigration rules and procedures, genuiner smile, cheaper and simply better. But that's exactly what the Thais want! Somnamna...

How is Laos softening its visa requirements? Compared to Laos, Thailand is far easier to get extended Tourist visas and has a far greater range of other non-immigrant visa options.

People are totally over-reacting to this change, which is purely to ensure that applicants for Tourist visas are tourists.

Poor thought process going on with the Ministry, the people this rule is designed to thwart don't bother with getting a Visa in the first place. Think about it, if you were gonna overstay, then why get a visa at all? I just got a 60 day visa; if that rule were in effect two weeks ago I'd have had no idea which cities, town, villages I am going to be during any portion of my visit let alone a hotel or guest house or overnight train I may be sleeping in. It is a bad rule that will have no positive affect for anyone, just end up with a lot of unused hotel bookings.

Or if you are married to a Thai citizen and will be staying at their/your residence.

Wouldn't you be getting a Non O in that case?

not if you want to stay longer than 30 days but not as long as 1 year.

A tourist visa may well be the easiest (until now) and cheapest way to stay 2~3 months.

But it seems a letter from the wife would fulfill the "If a required document is missing, an explanation letter must be provided" requirement just the same as applying for a UK tourist visa.

How do you figure 30 days on the O-visa. I have an O and my stamp like 60 at a pop unlimited entry. Might want to check that.

Hello Bro i am from India here also very strict for Non O visa they asked me for a Confirm Ticket,and at least 500 dollar entry in Passport and residence address and Flight No also why for Non O visa and visa for 6 months only single Entry

Or if you are married to a Thai citizen and will be staying at their/your residence.

Wouldn't you be getting a Non O in that case?

I can only advise people who come the first time to Thailand. Try one of the other 160 countries left in the world for visit holiday or retirement. Thailand don't want YOU!! There must be other countries which are nicer more beautiful and respectful to visitors, tourist and ex-pats!! Thailand is on the hunt to take all you brought in and than spit you out if you don't leave quick enough according to them! This is the real reason to sharpen visa regulations.Be warned!! Where in many countries they are fighting to die-out racism, apartheid, violating human right, Thailand are introducing them!

Wow, you are really going off the deep end with this rant!

laughing.gif

How unwise to make it more cumbersome for people to apply for a tourist visa just as a global recession is about to take hold.

If you truly want families and quality tourists here, how about these long term measures:

- Police reform to battle corruption. Like in South Korea. If they could do it, so can you. It's 2011 now, time to get real.

- Clean up the prostitution from the major tourist spots. Most tourists in the family category tend not to be impressed by prostitution in their face, and the prostitution business is a magnet for undesirables, both Thais and foreigners.

- Educate Thai electricians properly so fewer tourists are electrocuted in the shower. Parents tend to be quite upset when their children die because of neglect and incompetence.

- Regulate and ENFORCE the use of pesticides and insecticides so you won't have to wring your hands after tourists "inexplicably" drop dead in hotels and from eating poisonous food. Research, educate and encourage organic growth practices, natural and least dangerous pest control measures. Make sure the knowledge gets all the way to the actual farmers by engaging the village networks.

- Arrest ALL beggars on sight, interrogate them about their conditions and mafia networks, gather enough evidence, appropriate the assets of the leaders of the trafficking rings, give harsh punishments (fines and jail time) to everyone else involved or benefitting, use the money/assets collected in fines to rehabilitate and educate the beggars where possible. Keep up these arrests until it simple becomes too much hassle to beg or to benefit from begging.

- Clean up the scamming in tourist areas. That includes jet ski scams, gem scams, card game scams, and all the others.

*Have to admit that that is a fairly good list you put together.

I have one other suggestion,...just stop going, staying so long, spending as much money, etc....there are many other good places to go that won't jerk you around so much.

Don't get me wrong, Thailand is great, and I honestly have never had any problem getting a visa, stamp, entry or exit with anything but my passport. But when that changes, I won't make a whole lot of extra effort.

Please understand that this is only if you are applying for a tourist visa from Cambodia.

For the rest of us applying from Europe there's no change

why wasn't this at the start? what a panic i was in partytime2.gifpartytime2.gif

Edited by metisdead
Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.

I am new to this website. I do apoligise if i am asking this in the wrong thread. I am a UK Citizen, arrived in Bangkok in Aug 2nd 2011, they've given me 30days standard, i didn't apply for any visas or anything. Now i want to extend it until September 15th. How do i go about doing that? Im currently in Bangkok right now. I am staying with a friend, so will i have to show any documents of any sorts?

You can not extend for that amount of time - you will need to exit country and return for a 15 day visa exempt entry. There is no mention of any special requirements for that.

And don't delay. You will be fined for "over stay". Better to spend the price of the fines on train trip to Butterworth > ferry Penang and enjoy yourself. Or transport to alternative border, .. but do it now, to depart on the day before the expirey date.