Stricter Requirements For Tourist Visa Applicants

I had a visa run to Cambodia booked and paid for thru a visa service in Pattaya. Supposed to leave early Monday (Aug 28th), stay 1-2 nights, get the 60-day visa, then come back to Thailand. I have used this particular service before and they often bragged about their connections with the Thai embassy in Cambodia.

They called me Thursday night and said I should bring a bank book and a few rent receipts from my apartment.

Then they called me Friday morning and said the trip had been cancelled. They said they were having trouble with the Thai authorities. They refunded my money (You KNOW there's a problem when they refund your money) and said I should check back with them next week. "Maybe different next week."

My visa expires Sept. 4th. Guess I'll have to make other arrangements. :blink:

my visa expieres 5 , but 4 sept i booked and fly airasia until 9 sept , just shall try the agent in PP anyway as flightl is payed already, in any case by flight you get 30 days exemption, by landborder 15 days , so time to find other solutions, it is always like that here in TH , from one day to another ,no warnings...., can bring even normal tourists in problems.....!!

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They called me Thursday night and said I should bring a bank book and a few rent receipts from my apartment.

Then they called me Friday morning and said the trip had been cancelled. They said they were having trouble with the Thai authorities. They refunded my money (You KNOW there's a problem when they refund your money) and said I should check back with them next week. "Maybe different next week."

Kinda daft to ask for those don't you think...kinda proves that you are not a tourist don't you think :blink:

Mr. Keo, a local visa agent, has been mentioned positively on this forum many times and is "on the ground" in Phnom Penh...maybe wait a couple days while thinks get sorted and give him a call to see what's up.

Edited by FarangBuddha

In addition to this anyone who has entered the three times in succession without a valid visa will be automatically barred from entering the Kingdom under any circumstances for 90 days from the date of the last exit.

Note that this enforcement of the current rules are intended to end the practice of a person without a valid visa going to the border every 30 days.

Kind Regards

Geoff Howard, Hon Consul for Thailand.

This is the first mention I'm seeing of this particular additional change relating to consecutive 30-day visa-exempt entries.

If I'm understanding this right, this seems to be a change back toward the general rules of a few years back... when a person could only have so many 30-day visa exempt entries within any 180 day period.

In more recent times, if I understand these thing correctly, there hasn't been any limit on consecutive 30-day visa exempt entries... though the government did along the way shorten the land-border crossing period to 15 days instead of the 30 still granted for airport entries.

But now, they seem to be choking off the airport entries approach as well...

Perhaps they should take a leaf out of India's book?

1. You can only get a visa (3 months), in your country of nationality, or where you have documented residence.

2. No visa extensions.

3. One visa, then wait 2 months before applying for another.

Little effect for genuine tourists.

Most people only require the 30 day visa exemption stay.

[

^ THIS!

:)

I have an O for now, but if I ever leave and need a tourist visa and I own my own condo should I bring all the paper work? Original or copy?

Do I get extra credit for doing my own electric work? :D

As you did it without a work permit you'll be arrested on the spot, thrown into immigration jail under despicable conditions and deported.

For the first time, I don't even know if I'm joking.

my guess is that its mostly going to be directed at african, middle eastern etc visitors who tend to be the illegal workers and maybe involved in dodgy aspects of the economy.

TIme will tell but would not surprise me much if western and non dodgy looking applicants get about the same treatment as the current policy..

If they can weed out illegal workers then in theory it could get better for visitors(including longterm tourists) who are just here spending money.

This is called "shooting yourself in the foot". Does Thailand want to loose money? I already thought obtaining a visa from an embassy such as London was a drag & now not only will we have to consider costs but also documentation from Thai wife about our property where we stay etc., ; having to ring to get through to thai embassey is already a pain; what about youngsters going to Thailand for a long trip etc., This regulation really is stupid! Moreover for those of us who go over for 5 weeks or so. We will not just cut it to 30 days for normal visa and Thailand will loose tourist currency twice: 1 Limit holiday to 30 days 2. Will not spend money on extra visa and extra days there. :annoyed:

This return or onward ticket is becoming a pain in the arse, I met it last year, I booked a single to Manila from Bangkok, paid for it, then at check in they would not let me fly because it was a single and I could show no onward booking. I explained I had not yet decided how long I was staying in the Philippines or which airport I would fly back from. They still refused, so no flight, and no refund.

I have enjoyed free wheeling around Asia for many years, now it seems I have to plan everything in advance.

Sheeeeez you guys still complaining about this. I would think if you are a real tourist you will not have a problem. This is pointed at those people working on tourist visas and living long term. If you bought property planning on living in thailand on tourist visas I guess that isn't working out.

If you stay long term in Thailand have the approiate visa if you qualify if you donot meet the requirements I guess thats just tuff. Yea I wanted to retire in Thailand before I was 50 but guess what I waited as it was to much hassel other wise. if you donot like the rules I guess thats tuff, again go to some other paradise that lets everyone in.

All this whining and crying from adults who find a bit of time getting a tourist visa at their consulate a waste of time and inconvience, grow up.

Thai immigration doesn't exsist for your conviience but to enforce the laws of Thailand and control who comes and goes and who stays except that or figure something else out.

Sheeeeez you guys still complaining about this. I would think if you are a real tourist you will not have a problem. This is pointed at those people working on tourist visas and living long term. If you bought property planning on living in thailand on tourist visas I guess that isn't working out.

If you stay long term in Thailand have the approiate visa if you qualify if you donot meet the requirements I guess thats just tuff. Yea I wanted to retire in Thailand before I was 50 but guess what I waited as it was to much hassel other wise. if you donot like the rules I guess thats tuff, again go to some other paradise that lets everyone in.

All this whining and crying from adults who find a bit of time getting a tourist visa at their consulate a waste of time and inconvience, grow up.

Thai immigration doesn't exist for your convience but to enforce the laws of Thailand and control who comes and goes and who stays except that or figure something else out.

Spot on. Some people will really be disappointed when scientists discover the center of the universe........................ and it is not them.

If Thailand loosened the laws about property ownership and travel in/out and immigration... just think how fast the farang world would over run this place?? Thailand is trying keep a balance between loosing the tourist business and being over run and effectively loosing their country. I'm in the USA and the economy sucks big time for me. But I'm not arrogant enough to think Thailand should just take me in.

This is standard procedure for many, if not most, countries in the world. If you have land, house, TGF, etc, then you should have the corresponding visa for such activities. Yes, they want control of their borders, just like any other country, as their hospitality and lax regulation have been abused over and over. I think many Thais would be quite happy to lose their reputation as whorehouse for the world. Even if it makes my life difficult in some ways, I'd still tend to agree with them.

The new regulations are quite fair and are the same as a Thai applying for a visa to visit a European country. It says that if you can't supply a hotel booking

all you need to do is have a covering letter saying you will be staying with friends. I can't see what all the fuss is about. Such remarks as "killing tourism" are pathetic.

Tourists are coming here in increasing numbers.

''Tourists are coming here in increasing numbers''

Oh really!

Apart from yourself and TAT, nobody believes that anymore. The last thing I read was only a 30% occupancy rate even in the popular resorts. My friend in Krabi has not had even a half full guesthouse in more than three years.

Thai Embassies and Consulates abroad to be stricter with requirements when applicants are applying for Tourist visas for Thailand.

Does this apply to "Visa Exempt" entry also?

What happens if the tourists are staying with friends?

or indeed leaving over a land border by bus?

The new regulations are quite fair and are the same as a Thai applying for a visa to visit a European country. It says that if you can't supply a hotel booking

all you need to do is have a covering letter saying you will be staying with friends. I can't see what all the fuss is about. Such remarks as "killing tourism" are pathetic.

Oh really!

Apart from yourself and TAT, nobody believes that anymore. The last thing I read was only a 30% occupancy rate even in the popular resorts. My friend in Krabi has not had even a half full guesthouse in more than three years.

That's your scientific way of deducing that the TAT's numbers are wrong? Give me a break.

Occupancy rates are down because too many damned hotels, resorts, and guest houses have been built. Not because there are fewer tourists.

The TAT can't just "make up" numbers (and why would they, anyway?)? There are other statistics which must correspond: immigration arrivals, airline seat numbers, hotel rooms occupied.

Those who base an assumption that tourist numbers are down because their "friend's guest house" or their favorite bar aren't doing well are, well, not exactly brain surgeons.

my guess is that its mostly going to be directed at african, middle eastern etc visitors who tend to be the illegal workers and maybe involved in dodgy aspects of the economy.

TIme will tell but would not surprise me much if western and non dodgy looking applicants get about the same treatment as the current policy..

If they can weed out illegal workers then in theory it could get better for visitors(including longterm tourists) who are just here spending money.

No, I'm sure it's directed at US, too. Western countries have been known to intervene militarily to protect their nationals in foreign countries. I don't think they intend to let it get to that point... remember the Alamo...

This change will bother genuine tourists a lot than people working on tourist visas. They'll soon have a workaround, offering dodgy airline tickets and hotel accommodation. They are targeting the wrong people.

Some of you may remember when they were asking to see airline tickets for visa extensions at Jomtien several years back. It was easy to get an e-ticket to show them. Most agents would have organised one for 100 baht.

Those who base an assumption that tourist numbers are down because their "friend's guest house" or their favorite bar aren't doing well are, well, not exactly brain surgeons.

...and even brain surgeon could get it wrong.:lol:

"thailand is its own worse enemy" i will not be staying in a hotel.... will be applying next week for a double entry into thailand,. will be staying in buriram where i am paying for my ladies house to be redeveloped,.

that normally allow myself 59 days then i would have to cross borders-another 2 month and then the same again,..will be interesting when i ring on monday to book an appointment,.-as my airline ticket is dated for a 6 month period.

dates stated already-october through til march,. we have a saying in england if its not broken then dont try fixing it!!!!! thailand is a wonderful country with some of the best site seeing you could ever wish for.

the people are humble towards farrang whilst up country_in the inner cities we are resented,.some peoples beliefs that farrang have everything is just a mith......here in the uk since recession people are homeless and hungry no job prospects-thailand will suffer even worse they believe that low season/high season....it simply dont exicist anymore....people who once stayed for months can no longer continue that trend....some of those fellow travellers who visited thailand lost everything when the property markets crashed... thailand has a huge problem within immigration,,,,,,indians,russians,-are exploiting the immigration.....i would love for everybody to travel for free no visa restrictions if you have the money to want to travel---then you should be allowed freeley------- instead we are made to pay for our dreams----taxed for travelling abroad.........

Oh really!

people are not travelling to thailand........to expensive---pang mak mai ----- travelled extencivley throughout thailand and tourism is suffering .... "even the so called sex tourists are not travelling" lots of indians and russians though!!!

Oh really!

That's your scientific way of deducing that the TAT's numbers are wrong? Give me a break.

Occupancy rates are down because too many damned hotels, resorts, and guest houses have been built. Not because there are fewer tourists.

The TAT can't just "make up" numbers (and why would they, anyway?)? There are other statistics which must correspond: immigration arrivals, airline seat numbers, hotel rooms occupied.

No, it's not my ''scientific way of deducing that the TAT's numbers are wrong'', it's just an example, I also have friends on Koh Lanta and Ao Nang with much the same problem. The trouble with the Thai government and their ilk is that their investments are in the 4 &5 star, two week package holiday resorts where the guests rarely even leave the resort, and they don't give a jot about the ordinary Thai people trying to make a living out of us lesser people who probably take 3 months to spend the same amount of money.

As for TAT not just making up numbers, you don't know much about the Thai psyche do you. they're not too strong on the truth, never have been and never will be, though I certainly take on board your point about too many hotels being built, but there's more to it than that.

No I'm not a brain surgeon, just a long time friend of Thailand who believes what he sees with his own eyes, and believe me, I've seen plenty in my 45yrs since first coming to Thailand.

"No one is traveling to Thailand".

"Lots of Indians and Russians, though".

Seems there is a conflict with these two statements.

Yeah, I too thought it was a ridiculous statement.

Edited by tropo