Ping When Playing On American And European Servers..

ricku

Hey!I am planning on buying a new PC for the upcoming release of Battlefield 3 and also Diablo 3. Both games are fun to play online, so of course I will want to do so.

But how is the ping (latency) when playing on american and european servers? Is it good, bad or unplayable? I live in Bangkok and im on a 15mbit line from True.

Edited by ricku

Thanks for the info, but that sucks. I was hoping for way lower than that.

Guess I'm gonna have to stick to thai / asian servers, if they even exist. It seems that most thai gamers prefer to play silly B-titles such as Ragnarok online, and stuff like that. sad.gif

Edited by ricku

There are lots of Thai, Malaysia, and Singapore servers for FPS games and Battlefield 3 will definitely have them here too. I get about 30 ping to Thai servers and about 80 to Singapore. It's perfect and lots of people to play with. US is 200 and up so no good for FPS. It is fine for something like Diablo though. Is fine to MMORPG and RTS games too.

Yeap, on a good day/really good connection you might get real close to 200ms but like SuperNova said above the ping to the U.S. is usually going to be in the 250ms-350ms ballpark.. And it don't matter if you are on a 2Mb connection or a 100Mb connection. I'm on a True 20Mb/2Mb Cable interent plan and I just did some ping test to SF and New York and got ping results of 237ms and 302ms, respectively. I got approx the same ping times when on TOT 2Mb, 4Mb, and 6Mb ADSL plans. Intenet electrons can only travel so fast through copper and fiber regardless of a person'ts internet speed plan/conneciton....until we invent technology that can make electrons go faster than the speed of light, ping times to the rest of the world won't get much faster.

P.S. And if you do some speed tests/ping tests like using Speedtest.net and get a ping time of like 10 - 50ms to the U.S. you are getting a bogus ping result and most likely download speed result since the speedtest program is being fooled by an in-Thailand True hidden cache server....you are not really pinging/downloading to the U.S. server. Many speedtest type programs are fooled this way and give bogus results. If your True connection is giving you these type of bogus speedtest results you can enter "proxy.trueinternet.co.th" Port setting 8080 in your browser's proxy setting area and usually cure this problem and even fix some web site access issues. Without the proxy setting I pull 10ms ping times to the U.S.---that is, a bogus ping time caused by the hidden cache server.

Edited by Pib

200-300 is kinda the best case scenario too. Was just playing a game on a US server with a ping in the low 200s, which is fine for this type of game. But sometimes it'll go over 500 for hours at a time and be completely unplayable.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Always getting kicked off USA and EU servers. I play Dayz and it is frustrating. Once in a while a SG server pops up with ping around 90ms. 2 Thai servers have disappeared this month. I have to try about 15 servers in the US before I am accepted then.