Recommendation Needed - Where To Get Foreign Gold Jewelry Appraised In Chiang Mai?

NolaK

The short version:

Is there anyplace to get foreign gold jewelry appraised in Chiang Mai?

The long version:

Years ago I inherited some antique Black Hills Gold Jewelry form my mother. We are from The Black Hills and this was made back in the day when Landstroms was a quality classic and knock-offs were unheard of in the Dakota's. Despite a semi nomadic life-style I have been schlepping it around the world with me for sentimental reasons (and because it is really beautiful). However, it is time to get rid of one or two of the larger pieces that I know in my heart I will just never wear. I prefer delicate jewelry and don’t see an Oscar party invitation in my near future.

Anyway, I have heard they don’t buy foreign gold here. I may have had this confirmed when I went to have my personal rings cleaned and the gal at the jewelry store ran away from the counter as if it were on fire. I think she thought I was selling them. No worries.

I can easily sell this to someone in the United States through a family member, but I have no idea what price to ask (and have trust issues with my family and money). I don’t need a store to consider the design or the 'antiqueness' for the appraisal, just weigh it, read the incredibly tiny print on the back and tell me what I have - in English (without sprinting away from the counter).

If anyone more knowledgeable on these things could offer their advice or suggest a store to have an appraisal done I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks!

Edited by NolaK

The oldest gold dealer in Chiang Mai, located at worwarot market buys foreign gold...

Good to know. Do you have a name or aproximate location in Warwarot? Do they have an honest reputation or woul you just think its best just to get an appraisal and send it to the States?

I appreciate you getting back to me so soon. Thanks!

Consider eBay, a thai place wont know the value...they'll just think of it as farang gold.

I'd love to as eBay can be fun from time to time.

But I know less than zero about this subject. After going to two stores today that refused to let me even pay for an appraisal, a weight or to tell me what it says on back I would not even know where to start an eBay auction. My impression is that my mother, an artist with a unique take on reality, may have exaggerated its monetary value.

Plus there is the joy of all those people emailing me via eBay to ask the weight, what it say on back… which is what I set out to learn today… At least now I can move looking into this matter from my "to do" list, to the" I tried" list.

Thank you everyone for the advice.

N

No one is going to give you an "appraisal" on farang gold in Thailand. The way they test whether it is 10K, 14K, 18K, etc. is by using a color chart and not the chemical test that they use in Europe. A color chart is a very inaccurate method. Basically they are just not interested in farang gold.

But I don't understand the problem. You can't read the mark? Why not? Too small? Buy a loupe from an amulet dealer in the amulet market. They have cheap ones for as little as 100-200 Baht. You don't know the weight? Did you weigh it on a gram scale? Don't have one? Pick one up or borrow one. They are everywhere in this country. Buy the chemical test kit on eBay and test it yourself to determine the gold content. There, you will be an expert and can sell it on eBay. Gold that sells on eBay as "scrap" is bid up to market value just about every time.

Consider eBay, a thai place wont know the value...they'll just think of it as farang gold.

I'd love to as eBay can be fun from time to time.

But I know less than zero about this subject. After going to two stores today that refused to let me even pay for an appraisal, a weight or to tell me what it says on back I would not even know where to start an eBay auction. My impression is that my mother, an artist with a unique take on reality, may have exaggerated its monetary value.

Plus there is the joy of all those people emailing me via eBay to ask the weight, what it say on back… which is what I set out to learn today… At least now I can move looking into this matter from my "to do" list, to the" I tried" list.

Thank you everyone for the advice.

N

Its really not that tough..

If its western it will be hallmarked.. From which you should be able to define the gold carat..

Then you precisely weigh it, which I am sure any gold shop can do for you.

Then you can do the math.. Lets say its 18k and 25 grammes. 18k is 75% gold content.. Gold is priced in troy ounces of 31.1035 grammes.. so the spot price on bullion as I type is 1816.05..

1816.05 / 31.1035 = 58.3732 usd per gramme

times 25 grammes = 1459.6823 if pure but

time 0.75 = 1094.76 USD of gold in that thar chain.

Now the gold value as spot and the melt value is different, but it gives you an idea how to calc it..

I am in the gold biz, tho not the jewelry side.

Buy the chemical test kit on eBay and test it yourself to determine the gold content.

The consumer level test kits are a bit hit and miss.. colors on a color chart a bit like testing ph..

We have any suspicious or unverified bars run through our refinery contact in the UK.. They are an LBMA member and refiner, so they can assay and certify anything we wont take the risk on. LBMA bars can be +- 400Oz so at over 700k per bar theres no messing about with those.