Tai Embasy Vientiane

i All,

I just returned from a visa run to Lao (Thai Embassy) They are refusing tourist visas to a lot of people I saw at least 3 people refused whilst i was in the line, it seems the reason is even after one tourist visa they will not issue another for six months. I spoke to the consul in the embassy and he confirmed it is now a new policy. only NON 0 are allowed back to back. they will no longer issue tourist visas back to back. also at the border in Nong Kai they are asking to see the 20,000 B per person and a ticket out of Thailand and are insisting on hotel reservation. I have a friend in the immigration division at Nong Khai, he said they have been order to tighten up because there are too many people using tourist visas to work illegally.

Bad news for a lot of people I would guess.

Pinball

Could you pls ask them, your buddy in NK Immigration, if possession of a foreign VISA or MasterCard or AmEx would work, rather than carrying baht 20,000 around in your pocket?

I'm OK, but my sister, BIL, and another couple, are coming over here in a few months for a visit, Thailand and Laos, and back to Thailand, so want to make sure they're OK with credit cards.

Mac

Hi,

I ave asked this already and credit cards are not acceptable, must be cash or travelers checks.

Pinball

Could you pls ask them, your buddy in NK Immigration, if possession of a foreign VISA or MasterCard or AmEx would work, rather than carrying baht 20,000 around in your pocket?

I'm OK, but my sister, BIL, and another couple, are coming over here in a few months for a visit, Thailand and Laos, and back to Thailand, so want to make sure they're OK with credit cards.

Mac

I like to do the math. My guess is the average person on a long stay tourist visa spends min 50k a month on average some less than that others wayyyyy more than that. Most of those people know someone who benefits directly or indirectly from their finances. Tourist visa teachers provide a useful service because most career teachers are not going to put up with being paid 50baht a month AND pay taxes. Teachers fill a demand that educate the masses to the English language. Lets face it Thai is not a universal language it rates around Vietnamese as practical. The third group are people who invest in the country without wanting the hassles of dancing like a trained monkey or having 400k baht worth of volatile currency in a bank account they can't use. Each one of these people leaving Thailand will not have good things to say about the country and I am pretty sure some of going to be so pissed off about this they will make it a mission to repay the loss of face. No one likes the changes but Thailand has that right just like everyone who gets screwed by this to do everything possible to make sure no one comes here. Its the simple rules of retail 1 pissed off customer = 10 people who hate your product. Thailand is selling a "miracle" that miracle is that none of us have been smart enough to find another country that is like Thailand use to be. If you are one of the people screwed by this start by saving your money do not patronize any Thai tourist establishment only the locals who are not beneficiaries of private agreements to rob cheat and steal.

And on a side note I love Thailand I have lived here a year and aside from a few minor annoyances its a decent place to live. I have lived in the same neighborhood and everyone is always really friendly I even got a laugh at the local street market trying chilis raw. We know there is a change coming sooner than later that will not make it the LOSmiles but the LOSorrow.

Edited by BigRick

I like to do the math. My guess is the average person on a long stay tourist visa spends min 50k a month on average some less than that others wayyyyy more than that...

The people at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs seem to have done the same math and arrived at the conclusion that people spending this kind of money are most likely working illegally in Thailand.

I like to do the math. My guess is the average person on a long stay tourist visa spends min 50k a month on average some less than that others wayyyyy more than that...

The people at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs seem to have done the same math and arrived at the conclusion that people spending this kind of money are most likely working illegally in Thailand.

If that was indeed true ( and I doubt that ), any sane government would bring in a more easily obtained work permit/ visa and start to make some tax out of such people.

However, this is LOS and such enlightened policies will have to wait till about the time the sun consumes the planet.

By penalising law abiding long stay tourists, the Thai govt. only helps neighbouring countries that see fit to provide visas that actually make it easy to stay.

I fail to understand why there are so many dog in the manger types on TV that ( while they have the means to get non O or equivalent visas ) wish to deny those that do not qualify for anything other than a tourist visa to enjoy the same things that make them want to live in LOS.

If there is indeed a problem with tourists working, then the police should be dealing with them, but of course we all know why that will never happen!

It's pretty obvious that possession of a credit card proves absolutely nothing. How is anyone supposed to know if you've got money to spend or you're deep in debt? What good would statement printouts in English or other languages be to the Thai border Immigration officials. 20K is not really much to carry when you're on vacation and it doesn't take long to spend it. They know 99.9% of people entering into Thailand at Nong Kai have just come from Thailand on a visa run so not being able to get baht wouldn't be much of an excuse.

I was in Vientiane yesterday and today. Didn't get asked for anything other than the usual, passport, form, photos and photocopies of passport. Didn't see anyone else get asked either. No new notices saying any new requirements now or upcoming.

Didn't see anyone get rejected and I got a double entry tourist visa with no red warning stamp and its not my first tourist visa and they're all back to back. Also, its less than 6 months since I got my last double entry tourist visa from Vientiane.

Watching the guy check my passport it seemed all he was doing was counting Thai visa stickers, not checking the dates as he didn't fully open the pages it was on.

Taxi driver outside said the staff told him they were rejecting if 4-5 tourist visas in passport. Based on my experience this seems more likely to be the policy than the OPs assertion they're rejecting after one visa based on dates.

No questions at the Thai border and didn't see anyone else get questioned.

Obviously I may be extremely lucky, so don't base your life plans on this one post, but the only thing I noticed different at Vientiane was the lack of people. At 11 a.m. the machine was at ticket 62! When I've gone before that number would have been 362, or even 462.

Oh, and of course you now need to pay for the visa.

People that are refused, is it on the 2nd day?

When they already paid the application fee 2000baht

and come to pick up the passport

they find out they are denied any visa?

Or they get refused on the spot the first day when trying to hand in the application?

I predicted this backlash several months ago. The next crack down will be on people who abuse the Edvisa. Just get over it folks if you are working and working on a tourist visa you are illigal get the proper visa or move on. All this rending of cloth and knashing of teeth was done when they stopped the 30 day land border run, because people where working and living on 30 day border runs.

The same predictions where made about Thailand losing out how all the money would go else where, and how mean Thailand was being mean to a bunch of deadbeats. Guess what they where just replaced by another group of deadbeats who are here crying and singing the blues because they have finally been caught out.

Edited by moe666

As usual this says nothing about people who:

aren't working (already have money, not deadbeats)

aren't married to a Thai

aren't 50 years old

And therefore don't qualify for a non-imm visa. Reckon there are hundreds or even thousands of people "living" in Thailand who fit that description. Anyway, just get a double-entry tourist visa (6 months) then you're in compliance when coming back for another (or do a couple visa-exempt hops just to appease the bastards. If you get too many visas stacked up it's time to get a new passport. Stupid game and it doesn't necessarily affect those who it intends to (people working illegally).

People that are refused, is it on the 2nd day?

When they already paid the application fee 2000baht

and come to pick up the passport

they find out they are denied any visa?

Or they get refused on the spot the first day when trying to hand in the application?

Luck of the draw -- if the office accepting you application has time to study it and look through your passport the chances are you will not have to pay, just go away :whistling:

I predicted this backlash several months ago. The next crack down will be on people who abuse the Edvisa. Just get over it folks if you are working and working on a tourist visa you are illigal get the proper visa or move on. All this rending of cloth and knashing of teeth was done when they stopped the 30 day land border run, because people where working and living on 30 day border runs.

The same predictions where made about Thailand losing out how all the money would go else where, and how mean Thailand was being mean to a bunch of deadbeats. Guess what they where just replaced by another group of deadbeats who are here crying and singing the blues because they have finally been caught out.

Agreed -- the Ed visa looks like it is seriously abused and could easily get some refining, but they will be lobbied by the schools making money, so it depends on what envelopes get passed around :whistling:

As for tourists staying for consecutive triple entry visas - almost making a year possible - it depends on your definition of tourist.:ph34r:

I stay here 3 months and then go to UK or somewhere for a month with family, etc and come back with airport permit to enter and get a 60-day visa in Lao at 30 days which I could extend if needed - all without hassle so far, but there is no-one handing envelopes around to maintain the status quo for tourist visas, apart from the consulates taking the fees maybe, so the tourist visa is probably the first one to get squeezed.

It won't hurt the hotel/tourist industry anything like as much as stories of comatose farangs courtesy of tuk-tuk drivers :blink:

aren't married to a Thai

aren't 50 years old

And therefore don't qualify for a non-imm visa. Reckon there are hundreds or even thousands of people "living" in Thailand who fit that description. Anyway, just get a double-entry tourist visa (6 months) then you're in compliance when coming back for another (or do a couple visa-exempt hops just to appease the bastards. If you get too many visas stacked up it's time to get a new passport. Stupid game and it doesn't necessarily affect those who it intends to (people working illegally).

Sorry to have to tell you but Thailand's immigration laws were not drafted for the benefit of people who (1) aren't working, (2) aren't married to a Thai, and (3) aren't 50 years old. They were drafted to meet the needs of the security and economy of Thailand. As a non-Thai, it you qualify for a short or long-stay visa for Thailand you are most welcome...it not, please do not break the visa laws and make it difficult for yourself and others.

Edited by FarangBuddha

aren't married to a Thai

aren't 50 years old

Sorry to have to tell you but Thailand's immigration laws were not drafted for the benefit of people who (1) aren't working, (2) aren't married to a Thai, and (3) aren't 50 years old. They were drafted to meet the needs of the security and economy of Thailand. As a non-Thai, it you qualify for a short or long-stay visa for Thailand you are most welcome...it not, please do not break the visa laws and make it difficult for yourself and others.

What's so special or different about LOS that they need to prevent people staying long time, while Thailand's neighbours and the Phillipines actually make it easy for such to stay long time?

This is another thread that's part of the broader discussion going on right now about whether there are changes being made in tourist visa policies...

Unfortunately, at this point in this thread, we have one poster, the OP, talking about encountering big changes, and another poster in the same time period talking about encountering basically no changes...at the same consulate.... Everything else thus far here has been comment and opinion.

It would seem that further member reports are needed here to sort out just what's going on in Vientiane.

And why are some farangs getting smug and snarky towards other farangs who are worried about getting visas?

Next it might be you.

I donot know how many times I have heard this one. But if it becomes a fact then I will move on to one of those other utopian places where the visas grow on trees like fruit hanging for the plucking as some here seem to think.

People come to Thailand and like it and want to stay but they have to bend the rules to do so. I would assume that when they started down that road they knew it wasn't legal and subject to change or more enforcement. Then they come here complaining about it all along knowing they where bending the rules. What can one say to that, not much. maybe they should have gotten legal back in the home country by getting a degree of some sort that would allow them to stay legal in Thailand. But that might require a bit of sacracifice on their part that they cannot be bothered with.

Then there is the semi retired well they are in the same boat as the above person, bending the rules and hopeing nothing will happen to blow up their party, These people bought property in Thailand knowing they didn't qualify for the proper visas, knowing they where bending the rules. Donot cry now when it goes belly up.

I am not judging anyone here what you do is your business as long as it doesn't rain on my parade. But donot come here and cry when you have been caught out, it is unbecoming and immature. Your all very smart people and will figure out away around it as many got around the change in the 30 day land border crossing to 15 days, they started abusing tourist visas.

Edited by moe666

Many years ago when i got medical retirement and the time was ripe to settle down in a tropical country,

i contacted Thai embassy and asked for recommendations with regards to citizenship, money transfer etc.

They recommended i would just live here like a tourist, and use visa card to get money from ATM.

(tho they did grant me non-O in spite of being just over 30)

Many years ago when i got medical retirement and the time was ripe to settle down in a tropical country,

i contacted Thai embassy and asked for recommendations with regards to citizenship, money transfer etc.

They recommended i would just live here like a tourist, and use visa card to get money from ATM.

I guess those where the good old days

And, lets not forget that they used to let NZ passport holders come in on as many 90 day visa exemptions as they liked. Guess what- the sky didn't fall because some were using that to ( shock, horror ) live here.

It's the new age, when not only can officials bring in stupid regulations, BECAUSE THEY FEEL LIKE IT- without asking Parliament or subjecting it to any public discussion, but "dog in the manger", "I'm all right, Jack" ( because I've got a long stay visa and sod all you that can't get one ) expats actually support the idiocy.

If I were to call them what I think they are, I'd probably get a posting holiday, but it's not complimentary.

What's so special or different about LOS that they need to prevent people staying long time, while Thailand's neighbours and the Phillipines actually make it easy for such to stay long time?

What is special about Thailand is what makes you want to stay -- and rail against the visa regulations. If you find it so easy and nice in other countries - please go there. For comparison purposes - check out what the requirements are for a thai wanting to stay long-term in your own country.

This is the type of increasingly harmful and annoying bureaucratic bs more of us are having to put up with. First, just what is the problem with westerners staying long term in Thailand, to Thailand? Nothing, in fact 99% benefit the kingdom. How many westerners are supporting a Thai family/village, and bringing in money to do so? So what if they get by on a tourist visa. Are there really that many working illegally on a tourist visa? If so, prosecute, don't punish the guilty.

This is the type of increasingly harmful and annoying bureaucratic bs more of us are having to put up with. First, just what is the problem with westerners staying long term in Thailand, to Thailand? Nothing, in fact 99% benefit the kingdom. How many westerners are supporting a Thai family/village, and bringing in money to do so? So what if they get by on a tourist visa. Are there really that many working illegally on a tourist visa? If so, prosecute, don't punish the guilty.

you right because 70 % can not get a job here

Don't presume that tourist visa applicants are mainly Westerners. Applicants come from the North, South and East. From all over Asia and the rest of the world.

Yes, there are many people working illegally on tourist visas, especially people applying in Vientiane, Phnom Penh and Malaysia. It would be a fairly safe assumption too that most people living in Thailand full time on tourist visas are working at something. These so called crackdowns are hardly surprising.

It would be a fairly safe assumption too that most people living in Thailand full time on tourist visas are working at something.

A general question:

Wouldn't a triple certified medical retirement & various bank extracts rule me out from the suspect list so that i may get a visa ??

Why not just ask for some document showing applicants got income elsewhere ?