The Wally In Seat 17 A

roamer

And its always a "he". Darkened cabin, most people sleeping or quietly watching a movie, enjoying a drink, you've been there. And then some prat in a window seat decides to slid the window blind fully up and floods the cabin with light whilst he stares at....nothing. He is totally oblivious to the fact that around him fellow passengers are now muttering angrily and shifting around and pulling blankets over their heads, he continues to stare at nothing. If your lucky a flight attendant comes along and reaches over and closes the blind, he then sits there with a bemused expression on his face, what's he done wrong ?

It's not even as if he's drunk, often he seems to be coming back from his honeymoon with his wife dozing beside him and on Monday he will be back managing the meat section in Tesco.

Why always on my flight ? Wife often says to me never seems to happen when she travels by herself.

Rant over. Till the next flight :huh: And for those about to recommend a sleep mask I just find them too sweaty.

Am I alone in my pet flying hate ?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It pisses me off when I get on a flight at 8am sit myself down and am asked within 10 mins of take off to close the blind. Particularly as I like to read for a while.

Each to their own.....I agree with you on a night flight though.

use the reading light?

I admit I do open the window shade, no idea why I do it, I think I read once natural light helps with jet lag.

What gets me is when some twit sits down and within 2 minutes ask me what business I am in---my response is I am a Shepherd, usually I get a stunned look and that shuts them up for the flight.

My biggest pet peeve is someone who knows they have a weak bladder but they always seem to book the window seat while I am in the aisle.

It pisses me off when I get on a flight at 8am sit myself down and am asked within 10 mins of take off to close the blind. Particularly as I like to read for a while.

Each to their own.....I agree with you on a night flight though.

use the reading light?

Nah those things are rubbish. Natural light is much better....and I get to look out at...well....the clouds....biggrin.gif

I admit I do open the window shade, no idea why I do it, I think I read once natural light helps with jet lag.

What gets me is when some twit sits down and within 2 minutes ask me what business I am in---my response is I am a Shepherd, usually I get a stunned look and that shuts them up for the flight.

My biggest pet peeve is someone who knows they have a weak bladder but they always seem to book the window seat while I am in the aisle.

Or tell them you are an insurance salesman...that will usually also bring silence.

Edited by metisdead
No need for bold font.

My pet hate is the inconsiderate ars***** who reclines their seat right back without a glance behind and crushes your knees or throws your food and drink all over you.

As for the "Each to their own.....I agree with you on a night flight though"

why would it matter on a night flight ? ....its dark outside anyway so no light is going to come in ! :lol:

Edited by CharlieH

Here is my reply from a similar thread roamer started on 25 August 2010. As he keeps raising the issue it may be more of an obessession than a "pet hate"?

AFAIK no airlines have rules regarding the raising of window shades during the flight. All airlines require window shades to be raised for takeoff and landing, for obvious reasons. If you want to control a window shade ask for a window seat. The obvious solution to the OP's situation is to purchase eye-shades, and ear plugs, then you don't have to get all jacked up about someone opening a window shade. I have been using Bucky eye-shades for years as they are very comfortable and block all light. Many people still think air travel is some sort of glamorous experience as it was ~ 40 years ago, when in fact is it now more akin to bus travel.

Here is my reply from a similar thread roamer started on 25 August 2010. As he keeps raising the issue it may be more of an obessession than a "pet hate"?

AFAIK no airlines have rules regarding the raising of window shades during the flight. All airlines require window shades to be raised for takeoff and landing, for obvious reasons. If you want to control a window shade ask for a window seat. The obvious solution to the OP's situation is to purchase eye-shades, and ear plugs, then you don't have to get all jacked up about someone opening a window shade. I have been using Bucky eye-shades for years as they are very comfortable and block all light. Many people still think air travel is some sort of glamorous experience as it was ~ 40 years ago, when in fact is it now more akin to bus travel.

Must be my yearly rant then :rolleyes: interestingly enough I looked back over that thread as I now remember starting it if not keeping up with the replies. Maybe its just as well we don't all share the same pet hates but distribute them equally as the replies seem to indicate. Thanks for the diagnosis anyway. :)

I like to look out, but use a pillow next to my head to stop the light flooding the cabin.

Does annoy me when we've just taken off in the day and they shut all the blinds, or when they don't shut the blinds and people complain. It's different when it's time to sleep but still light outside.

The ones I hate are the parents who park their unruly children in economy and then head off to their nice quiet seats in business class whilst we have to cope with the bickering mayhem of their unsupervised progeny.

Or the times I've wound up in the middle row stuck between two hugely overweight people who then overhang their seats and crush me between them, making it impossible to get my table down to eat or drink.

As to looking out of the window, I plead guilty to that... views of the mountains or of a sunset lasting several hours as we fly towards it are rare treats for me.

Edited by Murgatroyd

The ones I hate are the parents who park their unruly children in economy and then head off to their nice quiet seats in business class whilst we have to cope with the bickering mayhem of their unsupervised progeny.

Or the times I've wound up in the middle row stuck between two hugely overweight people who then overhang their seats and crush me between them, making it impossible to get my table down to eat or drink.

!00% agree, which is why I fly Biz Class. whistling.gif

[sic].... their unruly children....

The greatest peeve towards long-haul flights.

Those who insist on having their little darlings [usually in the 3-4 years range] along with them, allowed to scream, cry-out, and generally ensue the loudest mayhem for the duration. Spoiled rotten brats.

This is changing, though. A number of airlines are enacting policies forbidding the travel of toddlers [under 7-8 years] on many flights and routes.

just use the eye guards provided by the airline.... sorted then.

Well, it's a bit like the intercom tells all to turn off their cell phones, so everybody turns them on and phones someone they haven't seen for years.

We have all have sat next to <deleted> who seem to think they are special but are not in first class, wonder why. :D

Those who insist on having their little darlings [usually in the 3-4 years range] along with them, allowed to scream, cry-out, and generally ensue the loudest mayhem for the duration. Spoiled rotten brats.

This is changing, though. A number of airlines are enacting policies forbidding the travel of toddlers [under 7-8 years] on many flights and routes.

EXCELLENT idea. :D

Kids, should have a section for them all to hang out in together.

Even worse the new parents, that think your interested in there bundles of drool and joy.

But my biggest peeve the smelly traveller who then stinks outs the cabin by taking there shoes off.

Kids, should have a section for them all to hang out in together.

Even worse the new parents, that think your interested in there bundles of drool and joy.

But my biggest peeve the smelly traveller who then stinks outs the cabin by taking there shoes off.

Yep, and trainers should be banned, as well as those who fart and turn their nose up at others to pass the blame. :lol:

The ones I hate are the parents who park their unruly children in economy and then head off to their nice quiet seats in business class whilst we have to cope with the bickering mayhem of their unsupervised progeny..

Unfortunately very few airlines allow us to check our kids in as Unaccompanied Hold-Baggage, in a dedicated plastic-crate, I've always thought there's a missed business-opportunity there ! :lol:

The ones I hate are the parents who park their unruly children in economy and then head off to their nice quiet seats in business class whilst we have to cope with the bickering mayhem of their unsupervised progeny..

Unfortunately very few airlines allow us to check our kids in as Unaccompanied Hold-Baggage, in a dedicated plastic-crate, I've always thought there's a missed business-opportunity there ! :lol:

:cheesy::clap2:

All airlines require window shades to be raised for takeoff and landing, for obvious reasons.

What is the obvious reason? I've never worked that out.

So you can see if it's time to close the shades or not.

So you can see if there's a fire outside necessitating/preventing an evacuation..

Really? Can you name 1 airline with that policy? I can't. or paste a link to an airline website where it states this. Not personnal poke just I think this is wishful thinking on your part. :jap:

Anyway fixed this go Biz class most problems removed.