The Wally In Seat 17 A

roamer

I was curious about this myself so googled it and found this.

Why are window shutters on a plane open when take off and landing?

And why do they also kill the lights?

I'm an ex-Flight Attendant and we were told in training to make sure the window shades were open during take-off and landing for several reasons.

First, the interior lighting should match outside as much as possible for take-off and landing, which is helped by opening the shades. We had to adjust the cabin lighting accordingly, either full-bright for a daytime landing or completely off for a night landing. I've never heard of any concern about airport perimeter vehicles being distracted.

This means time isn't lost during an evacuation when people are either blinded by the outside light or need a second to adjust to the dark. It can't be matched exactly but even a slight adjustment either way can help.

Second, in a crash, the emergency lights should go on. Even if they didn't, the passengers would have any outside light to help them find an exit. It would help their orientation. In either case, having as much outside light as possible, logically, is helpful.

Lastly, after the evacuation, any rescue personnel from outside can see inside the cabin more easily, to see if anyone is trapped inside.

There have been claims that it's so that the authorities can do a "body count" after a crash by looking through the windows. This is so absurd and illogical, it doesn't merit comment. This appeared in a book which was meant to be a comedy on the airline industry and now some believe it to be fact.

Another small plus, which isn't the reason for the rule, but if anyone gets airsick, it's good if they can see outside. On descent, you can get stuck in a "holding pattern", not fun for those who are prone to getting motion sickness. Seeing the ground, even if far below, helps equalize their inner-ear balance.

Please let me remind you that in an emergency evacuation, do NOT grab any of your bags. As soon as the plane comes to a complete stop, follow crew members', and only crew members', instructions. If you are supposed to get out, do so and don't take anything with you.

If there is someone else having trouble exiting their seats, evaluate the situation and only help if you can do so quickly. In most cases, it's better to take note of the location, evacuate yourself and immediately tell any rescue personnel on the ground and/or crew members where the help if needed.

Hopefully that's information you never need to use! Just a small public service message...that could save your life!

It's nice to have the window shades down during the flight but for take-off and landing, the most dangerous portions of the flight, it's more practical to have them up. Everyone really should be awake at those times anyway so even if the sun is in their eyes, they'll be on the ground shortly anyway.

Don't be afraid to ask the crew any emergency questions next time you fly!

Source(s):

Former Flight Attendant, 13 years, 2 companies, almost all long-haul international

Both are done to increase the ability of crew and passengers to see outside the airplane, so that they can assess the danger outside if it is necessary to evacuate the aircraft in an accident. Being able to see outside makes it easier to figure out if an exit is blocked, etc. The low lights let your eyes adjust to darkness at night, and of course the open shutters allow you to see outside.

Internal lights have no effect on drivers of vehicles outside the airplane. In a crash, emergency crews search through the entire airplane and try to save all of it and everyone inside, so open window shutters make no difference, and the lights will almost always be off after a crash.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I flew from HongKong to UK in April 1946.. Mostlly on Dakotas , there were no window blinds to pull op and down. 10 000 feet was as high as they flew and the ride was very bumpy. It took 8 days. You lot dont know how lucky you are. Grumbling about a bit of daylight COME ON !!!!

My wife hates the little screaming kids, or the kids who jump around in their seats.

Was on Etihad a few months back and a guy and his wife had the misfortune to have some Arabic kids behind them, the kids were jumping around, pushing the TV screen hard, even playing with the tray, the guy turned around and said something, as soon as he had finished the kids told their parents, it did get better for the guy and his wife but not much!!

How about airlines have a kind of Nursery area, especially on the bigger jets, for the kids to play in supervised by an Air Hostess. But make it only one flight per day, so the rest of us avoid it.

Added - to the OP, why not book 17A yourself in future.

Edited by beano2274

All airlines require window shades to be raised for takeoff and landing, for obvious reasons.

What is the obvious reason? I've never worked that out.

I am not sure of the obvious reason either but i suspect that if the plane has a mishap taking off or landing then the emergency services can peer inside to see if everybody is okay. I have also been told that in the event of a emergency that the reason for puttting your head between your legs is not to kiss your ass goodbye but to perserve your dentals for identification later . Hope that has reassured any nervous flyers - I am flying tomorrow myself .

All airlines require window shades to be raised for takeoff and landing, for obvious reasons.

What is the obvious reason? I've never worked that out.

The obvious reason is that in the event of an emergency (crash), rescue workers can look into the cabin before cutting through the aircraft or to look for obviously live survivors.

[sic].... their unruly children....

The greatest peeve towards long-haul flights.

Those who insist on having their little darlings [usually in the 3-4 years range] along with them, allowed to scream, cry-out, and generally ensue the loudest mayhem for the duration. Spoiled rotten brats.

This is changing, though. A number of airlines are enacting policies forbidding the travel of toddlers [under 7-8 years] on many flights and routes.

bah humbug!!!!

I can watch a movie any day, anywhere. I can only look out at the gorgeous scenery on the rare occasions I'm in an airplane. I hope I never lose my fascination with the size and beauty of what's below me in favor of some lousy, censored junk that Hollywood puts out. That said, I usually go to the back of the plane and look out the portholes on the back door so I don't disturb those around me and get those stares. Kind of sad, really.

Nothing beats kids crying. Especially when they are directly behind you and kicking the seat constantly throughout the entire 12hour flight. Can't top that.

Parents should be forced to pay triple for kids as a dissentive to travel with them. Or maybe it should be mandatory to give kids a sedative like they do with pets. One can only wish.

Edited by ES1

I can watch a movie any day, anywhere. I can only look out at the gorgeous scenery on the rare occasions I'm in an airplane. I hope I never lose my fascination with the size and beauty of what's below me in favor of some lousy, censored junk that Hollywood puts out. That said, I usually go to the back of the plane and look out the portholes on the back door so I don't disturb those around me and get those stares. Kind of sad, really.

No one, not even myself, is complaining about looking out at scenery, gorgeous or otherwise. I was talking about people staring at nothing because there is nothing to be seen except bright sunlight and its 4am as your chasing the sun.

I admit I do open the window shade, no idea why I do it, I think I read once natural light helps with jet lag.

What gets me is when some twit sits down and within 2 minutes ask me what business I am in---my response is I am a Shepherd, usually I get a stunned look and that shuts them up for the flight.

My biggest pet peeve is someone who knows they have a weak bladder but they always seem to book the window seat while I am in the aisle.

Easily sorted that one !!

Always tell the passengers in centre and window seat to climb over me if they want to get out. !!

They never do.

Nothing beats kids crying. Especially when they are directly behind you and kicking the seat constantly throughout the entire 12hour flight. Can't top that.

Parents should be forced to pay triple for kids as a dissentive to travel with them. Or maybe it should be mandatory to give kids a sedative like they do with pets. One can only wish.

Aint THAT the truth.

I flew from HongKong to UK in April 1946.. Mostlly on Dakotas , there were no window blinds to pull op and down. 10 000 feet was as high as they flew and the ride was very bumpy. It took 8 days. You lot dont know how lucky you are. Grumbling about a bit of daylight COME ON !!!!

In the infancy of international passenger travel that must have been an epic journey.

However, I have to disagree with your point... if some idiot crashes into my new car I don't consider myself lucky because a few hundred years ago it would have been a horse.

The development of long haul air transport for the masses has been fantastic. The issue is, however, within the masses there is always one, or a few, who are inconsiderate enough to disturb others.

This is unnecessary. The particular point of raising the window blinds is not regarding whether or not they exist; whether or not they exist is a moot point in this discussion. The issue lies with the fact that they do exist and someone is inconsiderate enough to disturb many other people due to a simple case of 'I want'... (i.e. I want to look out of the window)....

IMO: this thread is a moan about ignorant selfish oafs who really don’t care who they disturb.

One reason I fly business class. In general the price filters out these idiots (as commented by many in another thread on TV.com).

Your point is taken. Like the majority of air travelers you are also clearly the sort of person who places more importance on not disturbing others than a simple urge to look out of the window. Whatever the view.

After all, watching a crappy movie disturbs no one else, drunks talking loudly, the frequent pissers* in a window seat, the daylight blind openers all have one thing in common - They have made a mental decision not to be concerned with the comfort of others...

I really can't believe anyone is stupid enough to open a window blind and leave it open, flooding the cabin with light without thinking 'F@#K everybody else, I paid for my ticket and I'll do what I like'....

I do feel sorry for parents travelling with unruly kids. There is not much they can do, or much those around them can do. However, I do suspect the parents may be to blame in the first place.

Writing with minimal experience: My sisters have playful and noisy kids who are apparently remarkably well behaved on flights, because they are told to play quietly - to be honest most kids on a flight are the same. Like the oaf who opens the window blind, the unruly kids are few an far between – we only really spot the naughty ones, not the good ones.

I’ve once sat in business class behind a couple with a 6 month old baby. Each time the baby cried the parents carried it off out of the cabin, we could still hear it, but the noise reduces. Each time the baby cried it was fed or the parents did what they can to comfort their child. Again, a lot of this comes down to education and consideration for others. I’ve seen other parents of young babies just let their child lie there and scream – this I can’t tolerate, at least do something, i.e. bottle, dummy, take them to the galley etc… (obviously difficult when landing or taking off).

*I call them that as they seem pee to such a frequency they must be collecting air-miles for each journey to the toilets.

I once flew to Thailand with a so called mate. Never again will I holiday with him. He fidgeted and moaned, and drank a bit too much. Woke me up so he could go for a piss and whilst getting up he put his hand over the chair in front and accidently grabbed the the head of the guy in front, who nearly had a heart attack. This was about 4am.

Then in the morning when all were waking for landing he was trying to sleep, some young lad behind him said something just a little too loud (loud for him but no one else) and he jumped up on the chair and yelled at the kid to shut up as he was trying to sleep.

If the father had decided to bash him I think I would have helped.

I really detest parents that have absolutely no idea that their child's screaming annoys others. One of the girls at my work decided she would bring her child in to work (for some reason). When the baby started screaming it's guts out she thought it a grand idea to open her office door and walk the baby around out with all the support staff. Geeeeez I could have killed her. Some people have no idea.

wow. is that what its like in cattle class? sounds absolutely terrifying lol :whistling:

Some of the worst cases I have suffered from recently with screaming brats have been in First Class. In one case the brat was making so much noise as to keep the mother awake, the mother had the nanny move the baby to the other end of the First Class cabin, which was right behind me. I was a little peeved to say the least and even more upset with the Flight Crews attitude. I have heard that Malaysian ban kids from First so they will certainly get my vote in future.

• 4 weeks later...

In the new Boeing 787 there are no window shades. The windows are darkened electronically by the cabin crew. And they still let in just enough light so that you can see out if you put your face close to the window. Technology to the rescue.

So cool. B)

There is a guy over on another forum complaining about a fat guy seated in 17b next to him, breath stunk, body odour, bad socks......all the guy in 17a said he wanted to do was look out his window to try to take his mind off of the stench........poor guy.

I admit I do open the window shade, no idea why I do it, I think I read once natural light helps with jet lag.

What gets me is when some twit sits down and within 2 minutes ask me what business I am in---my response is I am a Shepherd, usually I get a stunned look and that shuts them up for the flight.

My biggest pet peeve is someone who knows they have a weak bladder but they always seem to book the window seat while I am in the aisle.

Easily sorted that one !!

Always tell the passengers in centre and window seat to climb over me if they want to get out. !!

They never do.

I had a window seat once and tried climbing over the slumbering aisle seat passenger next to me as I had to take a piss...she was a nervous young woman and started screaming when I inevitably brushed against her...

man, you shoulda seen the looks from the other passengers for the rest of the flight...:(

since then I always have a cabin crew member 'supervise' when I attempt the same maneuver...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

[sic].... their unruly children....

The greatest peeve towards long-haul flights.

Those who insist on having their little darlings [usually in the 3-4 years range] along with them, allowed to scream, cry-out, and generally ensue the loudest mayhem for the duration. Spoiled rotten brats.

This is changing, though. A number of airlines are enacting policies forbidding the travel of toddlers [under 7-8 years] on many flights and routes.

So you're one of those wierd people who stare at crying babies thinking it will make a blind bit of difference :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

You probably complain about kids in the restaurants, too. Don't you?

You were once a little kid.

--------------

Yes, I was a small child once. My mother was:

1. A schoolteacher

2. The oldest daughter of 9 children...so she had the experience of taking care of her younger brothers and sisters long before she was married.

3. Her parents were srtict with discipline and behaviour for their children.

All that adds up to concerning this topic is that if I misbehaved in a restaurant, my mother (and father too) would have taken care of that misbehaviour quickly and effectively.

Unfortunately that's not done today.

:blink:

• 2 weeks later...

My pet hate is people who walk on with bulky backpacks & huge carry on bags ( if i owned airline i would delight in refusing them boarding) you all know the ones, bigger bags than I have for a month's travelling, & then twist & squeeze past everyone because they didn't board at correct time, next second bags bumping into your head.

anyway regards songhklasid B)B)B)

Your point is taken. Like the majority of air travelers you are also clearly the sort of person who places more importance on not disturbing others than a simple urge to look out of the window. Whatever the view.

After all, watching a crappy movie disturbs no one else, drunks talking loudly, the frequent pissers* in a window seat, the daylight blind openers all have one thing in common - They have made a mental decision not to be concerned with the comfort of others...

I really can't believe anyone is stupid enough to open a window blind and leave it open, flooding the cabin with light without thinking 'F@#K everybody else, I paid for my ticket and I'll do what I like'....

I do feel sorry for parents travelling with unruly kids. There is not much they can do, or much those around them can do. However, I do suspect the parents may be to blame in the first place.

Writing with minimal experience: My sisters have playful and noisy kids who are apparently remarkably well behaved on flights, because they are told to play quietly - to be honest most kids on a flight are the same. Like the oaf who opens the window blind, the unruly kids are few an far between – we only really spot the naughty ones, not the good ones.

I’ve once sat in business class behind a couple with a 6 month old baby. Each time the baby cried the parents carried it off out of the cabin, we could still hear it, but the noise reduces. Each time the baby cried it was fed or the parents did what they can to comfort their child. Again, a lot of this comes down to education and consideration for others. I’ve seen other parents of young babies just let their child lie there and scream – this I can’t tolerate, at least do something, i.e. bottle, dummy, take them to the galley etc… (obviously difficult when landing or taking off).

*I call them that as they seem pee to such a frequency they must be collecting air-miles for each journey to the toilets.

Babies cry mostly on take off and landing because of the cabin pressure variations :wai: