What Golf Ball Do You Use?

kenny999

A question as I am watching golf at the moment,

How do these pro's manage to spin the ball back so far, is it: the ball? is it the hardness of the green? or is it how they hit the ball, do these players have different grooves on their clubs...

I have only ever manged to spin the ball back a couple of feet.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

okay lets put it this way, in the UK you can get membership of a top course for maybe £200

I would be interested in knowing which top club this would be? I have been a member at a couple of golf clubs out of which I would rate one or two as a great but not a top club (for instance, The Buckinghamshire). And when I joined there the joining fee was £2500, and the subscription £1200 for a total of £3700 the first year. Where can you join and get a sub at a top club for £200...?

As for buying membership then selling at some point, be ready to be offered a ridiculous price for that membership. people want a bargain and will pay nothing like what you paid for it!!

Exactly, that is why you shouldn't pay the listed price. If you'd want to sell you can get cash payment from one of the many brokers the exists. I have given you one example.

I should have mentioned that this was a 5 day membership not including weekends, the name of the club was Mill Green in Hertfordshire, this was a few yrs ago so obviously more expensive now. not a top club but to me it was!!

Sorry just looked and now realize membership was more like £700 for the yr so stll reasonable..

Edited by kenny999

How do these pro's manage to spin the ball back so far, is it: the ball? is it the hardness of the green? or is it how they hit the ball, do these players have different grooves on their clubs...

There is no trick.

1. You need to play a soft ball. PRO V1 , B333 or Similar. If you play a marble like TopFlite XL you cant spin the ball as easily, if at all. Period.

2. You need a clean lie and a clean strike. Clean grooves. Any grass or dirt between the face of the club and the ball will take away all spin.

3. It's easier to spin the ball with a more lofted club. Lob wedge or Sand Wedge for most players.

4. You need to hit the ball clean, and you need to accelerate the club head through the ball. Many players have a thought that the "arms are fast", and that's more or less correct.

5. You need club head speed. Unless you are accelerating through the ball you will not get any spin, and the higher the speed of your club head the more spin you get.

In addition, it is VERY difficult to spin the ball downwind. You need SERIOUS spin in conditions like this to spin the ball.

If I would rate the average hacker I play with I would say they dont hit the ball cleanly, they scoop the ball, and they don't accelerate through the ball. And most of them doesn't have the speed in the club required to get the spin you see the professionals get. But remember, firm greens and it's difficult even for them to get 20 feet of spin.

Edited by Forethat

There is no trick.

1. You need to play a soft ball. PRO V1 , B333 or Similar. If you play a marble like TopFlite XL you cant spin the ball as easily, if at all. Period.

2. You need a clean lie and a clean strike. Clean grooves. Any grass or dirt between the face of the club and the ball will take away all spin.

3. It's easier to spin the ball with a more lofted club. Lob wedge or Sand Wedge for most players.

4. You need to hit the ball clean, and you need to accelerate the club head through the ball. Many players have a thought that the "arms are fast", and that's more or less correct.

5. You need club head speed. Unless you are accelerating through the ball you will not get any spin, and the higher the speed of your club head the more spin you get.

In addition, it is VERY difficult to spin the ball downwind. You need SERIOUS spin in conditions like this to spin the ball.

If I would rate the average hacker I play with I would say they dont hit the ball cleanly, they scoop the ball, and they don't accelerate through the ball. And most of them doesn't have the speed in the club required to get the spin you see the professionals get. But remember, firm greens and it's difficult even for them to get 20 feet of spin.

Yes their game is some thing to be admired!!

What (in my opinion) is even more admirable, is that they can control how MUCH spin they want. Obviously not at 100% success, but most of these guys can hit a shot with lots of spin when they need it, or less spin when that is required. And if you think that "these guys are good" when they play in front of the camera, you should see them with the mates when they goof around...

There is no trick.

Kenny:

From the internet:

"It's also important to hit slightly down on the ball. One of the reasons I'm able to apply so much spin is that I have a fairly upright swing which enables me to hit down rather steeply on the ball. When I want to, I'm able to make impact with the top-back quadrant of the ball. I actually squeeze the ball down against the turf, applying enormous friction and backspin. I don't take much of a divot; it's more like a crease in the turf or a slackening down of the grass."

http://www.shark.com/sharkwatch/instruction/tip12.php

I suggest you might want to Google the question and see what comes up. At least you know the Shark has been there and done that.

There is no trick.

Kenny:

From the internet:

"It's also important to hit slightly down on the ball. One of the reasons I'm able to apply so much spin is that I have a fairly upright swing which enables me to hit down rather steeply on the ball. When I want to, I'm able to make impact with the top-back quadrant of the ball. I actually squeeze the ball down against the turf, applying enormous friction and backspin. I don't take much of a divot; it's more like a crease in the turf or a slackening down of the grass."

http://www.shark.com...ction/tip12.php

I suggest you might want to Google the question and see what comes up. At least you know the Shark has been there and done that.

Thanks for that, maybe I will treat myself to some softer balls and give this a try next time I am on the course, although at my standard I don't think spinning the ball back a long way is of great importance, it does look good though!!

Just read a little bit of Greg's blog yes I can hit my 5 iron over 175 yds so I have the capability to do this spin back shot, some thing to try and maybe master eventually!!

As for the divot piece, I never take a big divot it is always a crease as stated in the article, so maybe I am hitting the shot already but I am using the wrong ball!!

Edited by kenny999

<br>From the internet:<br><br>"It's also important to hit slightly down on the ball. One of the reasons I'm able to apply so much spin is that I have a fairly upright swing which enables me to hit down rather steeply on the ball. <b>When I want to, I'm able to make impact with the top-back quadrant of the ball.</b> I actually squeeze the ball down against the turf, applying enormous friction and backspin. I don't take much of a divot; it's more like a crease in the turf or a slackening down of the grass."<br><br><a href="http://www.shark.com/sharkwatch/instruction/tip12.php" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external">http://www.shark.com...ction/tip12.php</a><br><br>I suggest you might want to Google the question and see what comes up.  At least you know the Shark has been there and done that.<br>

Greg Norman is great player, but even he needs to learn the difference between where you strike the ball and your perception of the steepness in your swing. Two completely different things.

It is more or less impossible to hit the top quadrant of the golf ball and despite Greg Normans playing ability - even he cant hit the top quadrant with a wedge.

Edited by Forethat

<br>From the internet:<br><br>"It's also important to hit slightly down on the ball. One of the reasons I'm able to apply so much spin is that I have a fairly upright swing which enables me to hit down rather steeply on the ball. <b>When I want to, I'm able to make impact with the top-back quadrant of the ball.</b> I actually squeeze the ball down against the turf, applying enormous friction and backspin. I don't take much of a divot; it's more like a crease in the turf or a slackening down of the grass."<br><br><a href="http://www.shark.com/sharkwatch/instruction/tip12.php" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external">http://www.shark.com...ction/tip12.php</a><br><br>I suggest you might want to Google the question and see what comes up.  At least you know the Shark has been there and done that.<br>

Greg Norman is great player, but even he needs to learn the difference between where you strike the ball and your perception of the steepness in your swing. Two completely different things.

It is more or less impossible to hit the top quadrant of the golf ball and despite Greg Normans playing ability - even he cant hit the top quadrant with a wedge.

I suggest you tell Greg Norman he doesn't know the golf swing. The more you say on this forum, the deafer we might become.

I suggest you tell Greg Norman he doesn't know the golf swing. The more you say on this forum, the deafer we might become.

No need to. This is just another example of a player with a mental image of what he's doing, an image that doesn't match reality. Another interesting perception of his is that he "squeezes" that ball against the ground. There is no such thing. If you're interested I suggest you join one of many golf forums and discussion boards on the Internet where this has been debated over and over for eternity.

"The phrase is used to conjure up a graphic imagery intended to make you strike down on the ball. The ball being driven into the ground never occurs in reality."

Good to know that there isn't actually any pinching of the ball against the ground, that it is simply a feel we discuss to ensure the flushest of contact with the ball and club face. Since an upward moving club head (bottomed out before ball) would necessarily mean that the ball would be struck thin and not flush, in the sweet spot, the vast majority of the time.

http://www.torontogo...hp/t-71249.html

http://thesandtrap.c...t-ground-or-not

Another GREAT web page explaining some physics of the swing can be found at:

http://www.tutelman..../swing2.php?ref

There's a "Common myths debunked" in there were you can read the following:

How come many pros still win tournaments while giving this advice in televised tips? It's because they themselves are not doing what they think they are doing.

But in your case I wouldn't be surprised if you'd believe the secret to the golf swing was a lollipop - raspberry flavored - stuck up your arse, if Greg Norman told you so.

There's a lot of work here for Mythbusters, should they feel like it

Edited by Forethat

It is easier to impart spin with a more upright swing but I wouldn't go changing the swing just for that.

Yes you must hit down on the ball and squeezing it is the way to go.

Now let me think hard about this, take the word of Norman or a hacker. Not much left to say is there.

It is easier to impart spin with a more upright swing but I wouldn't go changing the swing just for that.

Yes you must hit down on the ball and squeezing it is the way to go.

Now let me think hard about this, take the word of Norman or a hacker. Not much left to say is there.

You cant squeeze the ball against the ground. Check out some of the games most prominent analysts and swing coaches; Pelz, Foley etc - they all have the same opinion as myself.

If you are to hit the ball on the top quadrant with a 56 degree wedge, you have to lean the shaft forward 57 degrees. Doesn't work that way. Greg Norman is talking about a feeling, it's not fact. The only way you can hit the ball on the top quadrant with a wedge and a normal swing is if you scull the ball with the leading edge, and since you hit the ball above the equator you'll not get any spin at all. I understand Gregs feeling though, I think most players have pretty much the same "feeling" that they are hitting the ball at such steep attack angle that they hit the ball close to or even above the equator. But they don't, and if you take a 56 degree wedge, put a ball on the ground and then try to get the face of the club to make contact with the ball above the equator you'll notice straight away how utterly ridiculous that argument is. If you want to I can get you a picture of that as well.

For you who doesn't seem to know anything about golf, I can tell you that spin is generated by friction. The more friction the more spin. More friction also means less trajectory. And if you have ever practiced (I doubt it) to hit pitches you know that a PRO V1 gets about HALF of the trajectory compared to, for instance, an NXT. In addition, the ball is always launched in the air perpendicular to the face of the club. The result is that the ball can NEVER launch in a downward trajectory.

I understand if you think Greg Norman is right. You're not the only one. There's been a lot of debate about all sorts of myths last 5 years, most of them have been slaughtered by the birth of high speed imagery. The "pinching" the ball against the ground is one of them.

Try again, snowflake.

Edited by Forethat

For those of you who are interested in WHY Greg Norman (and a few posters on here) are wrong, pleas read the following article where the NEW ball flight laws are explained. I say NEW because a lot of what's been concluded lately was thought to be utter &lt;deleted&gt; until very recently (a couple of years) pretty much the same way some of the posters on here tend to believe

http://www.ruthlessgolf.com/2010/12/understanding-angles-in-thenew-ball.html

As the guys who does the analysing put it:

http://trackman.dk/getmedia/55e8af48-81db-4fee-9fa0-0e763e9ac9a5/TMNewsJan2009.aspx

According to the "old" ball flight laws, the initial direction of the ball (HLA) is 100% dictated by the club path. All the scientific people in the golf industry know that this is very wrong

(Fredrik Tuxen, inventor of Trackman)

You dont actually know anything about golf, do you, Wallaby?

Edited by Forethat

I do not intend to respond to a self admitted hacker and troll.

To the others, squeeze or pinch the ball has always been the way to teach backspin, always has, always will. The last thing you want to be doing is thinking about physics etc on your swing. Good coaches don't bother explaining the physics and dynamics, they keep it simple so that you don't have too many things in your head. So think squeeze or pinch. Has been taught that way to champions for years and is still taught that way.

You don't need to know how the intricacies and physics of how you can walk, you just need to know that if you put one foot in front of the other, you walk.

Getting caught up with too much detail will only send you crazy. All players like it kept simple.

I would prefer to accept the words of champions but......up to you.

The last thing you want to be doing is thinking about physics etc on your swing. Good coaches don't bother explaining the physics and dynamics, they keep it simple so that you don't have too many things in your head. So think squeeze or pinch. Has been taught that way to champions for years and is still taught that way.

You don't need to know how the intricacies and physics of how you can walk, you just need to know that if you put one foot in front of the other, you walk.

Getting caught up with too much detail will only send you crazy. All players like it kept simple.

lol, if you are the PGA teaching PRO you claim to be you should know that PGA are updating ALL teaching manuals to inlcude the new ball flight paths. No more "pinching the ball", no more "the ball starts at the path of the swing".

Not taught to champions in any way. Read some of the books of the modern swing coaches instead of pretending to know something you don't. It'd be a lot better of you said "ok, that was news to me, thanks for letting me know, I haven't been up to date apparently!"

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Edited by Forethat

The last thing you want to be doing is thinking about physics etc on your swing. Good coaches don't bother explaining the physics and dynamics, they keep it simple so that you don't have too many things in your head. So think squeeze or pinch. Has been taught that way to champions for years and is still taught that way.

lol, if you are the PGA teaching PRO you claim to be you should know that PGA are updating ALL teaching manuals to inlcude the new ball flight paths. No more "pinching the ball", no more "the ball starts at the path of the swing".

Not taught to champions in any way. Read some of the books of the modern swing coaches instead of pretending to know something you don't. It'd be a lot better of you said "ok, that was news to me, thanks for letting me know, I haven't been up to date apparently!"

Bloody hell some one must be right, keeping the swing simple with as least few things to think about is the way forward, played yesterday on my very easy 9 hole short course(it's not that easy, managed to spin the ball back at least 10ft on a short par 3 using a Dunlop Power ball, in fact the ball was coming back on most of the greens but not by much, to me who is a hacker(hate that word as it implies some one who takes huge divots because of hitting too far behind the ball and basically can not play the game of golf for love nor money, hitting the ball straight, hitting greens in regulation is what golf is all about, personally I hit the ball, it goes straight, it lands on the fairway or the green, if it lands on the green and spins back I am excited, if it does not spin back I am still excited because golf is very enjoyable if some what annoying.. yes I am always trying to improve but having too many things to think about is not good for me..

Simple!! simple!! keep it simple!! sounds good that!!

Edited by kenny999

Who said I was a pga teaching pro? I said I was a pro that DID have credentials to teach. I am the first one to admit that teaching changes and I said in a previous post that I wouldn't teach until I had upskilled to the new methods. I haven't taught since the early 80's.

As I said, players don't particularly care about the dyamics and physics of how to get backspin. They just want to know how to get backspin, not the physics behind it. Squeeze and pinch is STILL taught, it has worked for many years and continues to work. A person can have all the reasons why it doesn't work, but the facts are facts, it HAS been taught that way and it HAS worked. Or are you saying that no one has ever got backspin by being taught to squeeze or pinch the ball?

You can give as many reasons for it not working as you like. It doesn't suddently stop working because someone says it shouldn't. The proof is that it does work, just because you may have a new theory doesn't mean the old one didn't work.

I'll have to tell my coach he is wrong as just 2 weeks ago that is exactly what he said to do. He does teach champions. But then again, should I listen to him or an unknown hacker on the internet........ahhh the choice.

Bloody hell some one must be right, keeping the swing simple with as least few things to think about is the way forward, played yesterday on my very easy 9 hole short course(it's not that easy, managed to spin the ball back at least 10ft on a short par 3 using a Dunlop Power ball, in fact the ball was coming back on most of the greens but not by much, to me who is a hacker(hate that word as it implies some one who takes huge divots because of hitting too far behind the ball and basically can not play the game of golf for love nor money, hitting the ball straight, hitting greens in regulation is what golf is all about, personally I hit the ball, it goes straight, it lands on the fairway or the green, if it lands on the green and spins back I am excited, if it does not spin back I am still excited because golf is very enjoyable if some what annoying.. yes I am always trying to improve but having too many things to think about is not good for me..

Kenny I wouldn't even be woried about spinning the ball back. As long as it stops quickly is good enough. Seems like you just enjoy getting out hitting it around. Good to see. No need to try and understand all the aerodynamics etc, that's for the coaches to know and to teach you how to do things in SIMPLE terms.

The best coaches in the world are the ones that DON'T clutter your brain. Have simple thoughts.

Kenny I wouldn't even be woried about spinning the ball back. As long as it stops quickly is good enough. Seems like you just enjoy getting out hitting it around. Good to see. No need to try and understand all the aerodynamics etc, that's for the coaches to know and to teach you how to do things in SIMPLE terms.

The best coaches in the world are the ones that DON'T clutter your brain. Have simple thoughts.

I have to keep it simple, my mate keeps asking, "how do you start the down swing" "shouldn't your hands be in this position at the top" I tell him "I have not got a clue where my hands are in my swing", I don't think about any thing, I just swing and hit the ball, I am not capable of altering any thing in my swing because I just forget it, it has to feel natural to me, I'm not doing too bad as I would consider myself to be around a 10 handicap, but also the reason why I will never be a lot lower, it's just great to get out their and see that ball flying through the air!!

I have to keep it simple, my mate keeps asking, "how do you start the down swing" "shouldn't your hands be in this position at the top" I tell him "I have not got a clue where my hands are in my swing", I don't think about any thing, I just swing and hit the ball, I am not capable of altering any thing in my swing because I just forget it, it has to feel natural to me, I'm not doing too bad as I would consider myself to be around a 10 handicap, but also the reason why I will never be a lot lower, it's just great to get out their and see that ball flying through the air!!

Well if you are off about 10 then you are much better than average, you are pretty good. Yeah it is difficult to know what your own body is doing in a swing, that's why we get lessons. A practice fairway is the place to think, not on the course.

Good to see someone going out and playing just for the love and enjoyment of it. :D

Their is only one reason why I would like to spin the ball back a long way, it's the same reason as achieving a hole in 1, " wow whoop whoop did I just do that" !!

Who said I was a pga teaching pro? I said I was a pro that DID have credentials to teach. I am the first one to admit that teaching changes and I said in a previous post that I wouldn't teach until I had upskilled to the new methods. I haven't taught since the early 80's.

As I said, players don't particularly care about the dyamics and physics of how to get backspin. They just want to know how to get backspin, not the physics behind it. Squeeze and pinch is STILL taught, it has worked for many years and continues to work. A person can have all the reasons why it doesn't work, but the facts are facts, it HAS been taught that way and it HAS worked. Or are you saying that no one has ever got backspin by being taught to squeeze or pinch the ball?

You can give as many reasons for it not working as you like. It doesn't suddently stop working because someone says it shouldn't. The proof is that it does work, just because you may have a new theory doesn't mean the old one didn't work.

I'll have to tell my coach he is wrong as just 2 weeks ago that is exactly what he said to do. He does teach champions. But then again, should I listen to him or an unknown hacker on the internet........ahhh the choice.

I think you will find Forethat, I said my nephew is a PGA teaching pro in the UK, are you getting confused? I can not remember Wallaby saying he was PGA teaching pro!! then as you said before I don't read my previous posts looks like we are in the same boat lol

And THAT, my dear kenny999, is the correct answer.

Two of the - in my opinion - simplest swings in the business are Steve Stricker and Annika Sorenstam. They also produce some of the most consistent performances. The "bullshit walkers" even tried to persuade Annika to change her swing because they said "with that swing you can never become a great golfer".

Keep it simple!

I think you will find Forethat, I said my nephew is a PGA teaching pro in the UK, are you getting confused? I can not remember Wallaby saying he was PGA teaching pro!! then as you said before I don't read my previous posts looks like we are in the same boat lol

I dont know anything about your nephew. Wallaby claimed he was a "Club Pro", meaning he's holds at least PGA Club Professional qualification. I dont know about PGA Australia, but I would assume you get this qualification after your three year trainee program he apparently participated in. This means he is qualified to give lessons according to the PGA Teaching Manual.

A person can have all the reasons why it doesn't work, but the facts are facts, it HAS been taught that way and it HAS worked. Or are you saying that no one has ever got backspin by being taught to squeeze or pinch the ball?

First of all there's a massive difference in equipment today. The ball has changed and so has the grooves on the clubs. The grooves and balls (not ALL balls) are so much better today there's actually no need to swing steeply on the ball to get spin. 20 years ago it was a complete different picture, most players swung VERY steep and some players took huuuge divots. There are still a few international players on the PGA tour who digs enormous divots with the wedges, and there are others who didn't take any divots at all. Nicklaus is a great example of a non-divot player, or maybe it was Palmer!? Cant remember, it was one of them.

All of this has changed, but I agree that was they way it WAS taught, and some PGA Pros:s still teach this way. They used to get massive spin back in the old days, especially during the Balata era. Check out the All Star Golf at True Sport! But I can tell you NONE of them hit the top quadrant of the ball, even though they had that "feeling".

Edited by Forethat

Two of the - in my opinion - simplest swings in the business are Steve Stricker and Annika Sorenstam. They also produce some of the most consistent performances. The "bullshit walkers" even tried to persuade Annika to change her swing because they said "with that swing you can never become a great golfer".

Keep it simple!

I've always like Sorenstams swing, it was beautiful.

I dont know anything about your nephew. Wallaby claimed he was a "Club Pro", meaning he's holds at least PGA Club Professional qualification. I dont know about PGA Australia, but I would assume you get this qualification after your three year trainee program he apparently participated in. This means he is qualified to give lessons according to the PGA Teaching Manual.

I didn't say anything of the sort. I said I did a traineeship that allowed me to be a club pro, and play on tour.

One must continue to attend coaching classes and get 'rated' to coach. I didn't.

Keep it simple!

I've always like Sorenstams swing, it was beautiful.

Ah womens golf, now we are talking about an interesting subject!! watching golf and watching women playing with balls, can it get any better!! lol