Let's Learn One Word A Day.

Neeranam

can anyone translate the word 'sentence structuring' to me in thai ? thank you

Do you mean making up sentences? สร้างประโยค or เรียงคำตามหน้าที่ในประโยคตามต้องการ

Construction of a sentence is การสร้างประโยค .

โครงสร้างของประโยค is sentence structure.

In thai for sentence structure you'll also hear รูปประโยค (ruupF bpraL-yohkL) quite a bit in thai language schools. In fact I've NEVER ever heard โครงสร้างของประโยค; although I've not doubt it's the correct grammar word.

FWIW I've hardly heard โครงสร้าง used when talking about grammar although that was the word I learned when I first started talkin' grammar with thais. Even the thai language teachers who teach thai to foreigners use the more colloquial รูปประโยค when talking about the difference in sentence structure between thai and engrish. However when they ask you to ‘construct’ a sentence in thai using the vocab we just learned they do use สร้าง.

It is my experience, thais totally understand the phrase รูปประโยค without fail when talking about sentence structure (i.e. whacky-thai-word-order versus sometimes equally whacky-engrish-word-order).

Given that the word รูป can mean appearance, in additional to the more common meaning of 'picture'; 'picture of a sentence' or how a sentence 'appears' works for me too! :D

I was going to put รูปประโยค additionally but is wasn't what was asked for. In fact I think of it as the type of sentence ประโยคบอกเล่า / คำถาม / ปฏิเสธ etc.

I wouldn't say that โครงสร้างของประโยค is proper or improper it is a description.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

เผชิญ = to face or to confront

The opposite of this :

เลี่ยง = to avoid or to evade

Example phrase from a cartoon book :

"ปัณหา.." สิ่งที่ผู้คนเลี่ยงที่จะเผชิญ"

Cheers

Some really nerdy vocab this time but nice to pick up I guess

เทพจริงๆ = somebody who "OWNS", godlike!

I can imagine this being used in internetcafe's where thai are playing games and one player is like dominating/owning the entire network.

This eventually resulted in an online typo เมพขิงๆ and made it's way in teenager in real life vocab as well. Some people might say เมพกิงๆ instead. It's like the use of "lol" in daily life with the exception that this one derives from an online typo. I cannot remember where it actually came from (maybe pantip?).

And yeah I am pretty nerd and hang out in internetcafe's a lot so I might hear this vocab a lot more than people who are working in a company I figure. I guess not everyone

will understand these kind of meme's though, but in an internet gaming cafe you can cause a phew good laughs with this one :)

Edited by FireInTheSky

• 3 months later...

Thai Script of "Biedbien" - and it's meaning - Translation Please!

Thank You!

have not visited this sub forum for a along time.The meaning of biedbien is to exploit somebody.Bien can also mean -in slang-to marry(TO PUSH SOMEBODY)

• 4 weeks later...

I can imagine this being used in internetcafe's where thai are playing games and one player is like dominating/owning the entire network.

This eventually resulted in an online typo เมพขิงๆ and made it's way in teenager in real life vocab as well. Some people might say เมพกิงๆ instead. It's like the use of "lol" in daily life with the exception that this one derives from an online typo. I cannot remember where it actually came from (maybe pantip?).

And yeah I am pretty nerd and hang out in internetcafe's a lot so I might hear this vocab a lot more than people who are working in a company I figure. I guess not everyone

will understand these kind of meme's though, but in an internet gaming cafe you can cause a phew good laughs with this one :)

So which would be correct for me to use when I beat my kid at a vdo game?

เทพจริงๆ or เมพกิงๆ

• 4 weeks later...

This reminds me so much of when i had the same problem.

I went on to my Mrs about it and finally she come out with the word Gypsum! and everything was good :D

pronouced yipsum ;) i hope it helps.

Cheers Red. Is it this one?

ปูนยิปซัม

bpoon yíp-sam

Mr BJ, the following link was very useful to me when I went through what you are now going through, hope it helps, I printed it off and carried with me.

http://www.pvcwindows-thailand.com/useful_words.html

This reminds me so much of when i had the same problem.

I went on to my Mrs about it and finally she come out with the word Gypsum! and everything was good :D

pronouced yipsum ;) i hope it helps.

Cheers Red. Is it this one?

ปูนยิปซัม

bpoon yíp-sam

Mr BJ, the following link was very useful to me when I went through what you are now going through, hope it helps, I printed it off and carried with me.

http://www.pvcwindows-thailand.com/useful_words.html

Now that is bladdy useful. Many thanks rgs. Think I will post that in my thread also, for others who are building. :jap:

I had a house built earlier this year and they were referring to it as gypsum. ( with Thai pronunciation). They are more likely to say "mai mee" if they are not familiar with working with it. Our contractor had to subcontract with someone who could do the work.

You really should be there if you want your house to come out the way you want.

ยิบซั่ม ; คราบยิปซัม

yíp-sâm ; krâap yíp-sam

Does anyone know the Thai word for Plasterboard? We are building a house at the moment and I need the Mrs to call Thailand to tell her brothers what to buy but don't know the correct word. :jap:

• Like 1

Tell me about it. It's giving me an headache trying to explain everything. The problem is trying to slow the mrs down. She wants it done yesterday :D

I know the feeling; also, I want an unassuming rural farmhouse -- 'Er Indoors wants something like the Doge's Palace. sad.gif

• 10 months later...
it's a very good idea .. but we need how to pronounce

Create a sound file, upload it to a storage site on the web, eg Google drive, then post a link to it.

As there is no standard pronunciation guide, using any one of the dozens that exist would be useful to only a few readers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect App

Only just seen this thread. I'm definately in.

I wonder if it is also worth having another thread where, maybe Meadish for instance (if he could be so kind), can explain how the Thai script is pronounced and put together.

I.E. If we just took the individual consonants (without the vowels) you would read it something like:-

ทุ Tor ก Gor ค Kor รั้ Roo ง Ngor

This is the bit that i am struggling with. I now know, for instance there are "Stop" consonants and so ก is not pronounced "G" but "K"

Do you know what i mean blink.gif Or have i just confused myself......again biggrin.gif

confused yourself. ก gor gai is the sound "g". ท tor tahaan is the sound t. Its the same as us saying a apple, b banana etc. Try this, notice the position of your lips and tongue when you say the letter "p" and "b". This is what your noticing, its nearly the same mouth and tongue positions for both. Thais are using their accent which confuses us also. Ror ruua has the "r" sound but roll the r. Ngor ngoo is kinda like push your tongue at the back of your throat. Not same as nor nuu Edited by krisb

I had a house built earlier this year and they were referring to it as gypsum. ( with Thai pronunciation). They are more likely to say "mai mee" if they are not familiar with working with it. Our contractor had to subcontract with someone who could do the work.

ยิบซั่ม ; คราบยิปซัม

yíp-sâm ; krâap yíp-sam

Does anyone know the Thai word for Plasterboard? We are building a house at the moment and I need the Mrs to call Thailand to tell her brothers what to buy but don't know the correct word. jap.gif

Use the website coolthaihouse. Those guys have all the answers you need

will understand these kind of meme's though, but in an internet gaming cafe you can cause a phew good laughs with this one smile.gif

So which would be correct for me to use when I beat my kid at a vdo game?

เทพจริงๆ or เมพกิงๆ

If you beat him call him "kreaan"

• 1 month later...

Much easier to learn Issan I think! Basically same without tones.

All the various dialects in Isaan have tones too, so in that respect, they are not any easier than Standard Thai. And unless you plan on only spending time in Isaan, Standard Thai is what is spoken on TV and radio (except for a few regional shows), the language of teaching at school, and the language of writing all official documents - you can use it to make yourself understood all over the country. So while picking up everyday speech in the local dialect certainly is useful, if you want to take your learning further, you should consider going with Standard Thai. Four tones or five tones does not really matter much in the end, once you understand the concept of tones you'll be able to learn other tonal languages quicker (but the first one you learn may well interfere with the following ones, in the beginning).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

ฟอกเงิน 'fok ngern', meaning to 'launder money

Example - ผู้บริหารไฟแนนซ์ฉ้อฉลบริษัทโดยฟอกเงินจากกิจการที่ตัวเองบริหารด้วยการสร้างลูกหนี้ปลอมในบัญชีรายชื่อลูกหนี้

Edited by Neeranam

sa-naam-bin = airport

(liSA went to vietNAM to but her rubbish in the BIN)Ponounce as one word

haawng-naahm = washroom / toilet / WC

(I flew from HONG kong to vietNAM by plane)

barn = house / dwelling

(the cows are in the BARN at the farm)

mai-ow = do not want

(i cut MY leg it hurt and I shouted nOW)

Cheeky Farnag !!:o What an amazing way to remember words!!!!!!!! It provides a neumonic device for remembering!!! More !! I want MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or is there a source I can go to ? Are these your own?? :D

Agree this is a great way to remember ... Was there an answer? More like this format ??

• 1 month later...