หอบ to carry (in one's arms)

คอน to carry (on a shoulder pole)

หาบ to carry (on a shoulder pole)

พก to carry (on one's person)

ทูน to carry (on the head)

แบก to carry (on the shoulder or back)

หาม to carry (with another person)

สะพาย to carry(over the shoulder)

Thanks for those, I had forgotten a couple.

an additional one is

ยึด which I would translate as carrying a 3 year old but could be wrong.

another I've used is "neeb: which means to carry under the arm.

• 4 weeks later...

Recently I read ที่โคราชตอนนี้ฝนกำลังจะตก (têe koh râat dton née fŏn gam-lang jà dtòk).

I am confused because โค means cow, ox or bull and ราช means king, monarch, royal, sovereign.

Is this the Thai way of saying "It's raining cats and dogs"?

Thanks in advance.

Recently I read ที่โคราชตอนนี้ฝนกำลังจะตก (têe koh râat dton née fŏn gam-lang jà dtòk).

I am confused because โค means cow, ox or bull and ราช means king, monarch, royal, sovereign.

Thanks in advance.

Please see this.

K(h)orat is a 'second' name for the city/province but also the southern part of Isan (as in Korat plateau).

• 1 month later...

Thanks in advance.

I use " fon dtok mai leum huu leum dta"

Thanks in advance.

I use " fon dtok mai leum huu leum dta"

โคราช is Korat (the city more formally called นครราชสีมา)

"In Korat, its just about to start raining."

• 4 weeks later...

1. adding,increasing

2. ally

3. involve

4. make report

5. make oneself known

6. ministry of defense

7. obligation, duty

8. one reason

9. raise a point

10. secretary

11. stressful problem

12, staff, personnel

13. troops

14. try, an attempt

15. worry, be concerned

16.concerned about a scheme

These 16 words or more than one word sometimes, might be heard in the news.

I clipped them from a VOA story and put them together on an audacity file. VOA

is very boring but can be quite useful as they have transcripts. I put them on my

IPOD which does a good job of drilling Thai into my head. Each word(s) are repeated twice as once is not enough for me. Audio attached for anyone interested,

VOA01.mp3

• 2 months later...
This is a great idea! 

I'm definately a biginner, can use all the help I can get.

I'll check back often, hope this thread stays alive!

Howler, looks like no one else is interested.

How about letting us know what you want to learn - maybe I can help a bit.

How about a beginners thread?

There are a lot more beginners on this forum than experts or advanced.

koon yoo tee Groong Thayp nan thoarai? How long have you live in Bangkok?

ma nee boi mai? do you come here often?

chewmong la thoaroai how much is it per hour?

good idea,, a seperate thread for beginners,,keep it going

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sawatdee kurp! sabai dee reu?

Hello (male speaker) --- sawatdee krup

How are you? --- sabai dee reu

Am I doing this right?rolleyes.gif

Hello midnightjay. If you look back to the first page of this thread, you'll see that it was agreed to use the standard transliteration on www.thai2english.com - as this includes tone marks.

So, with that in mind, "sawatdee krup" would then be written "sà-wàt-dee kráp" and "sabai dee reu" written "sà-baai dee rĕu kráp".

Yesterday's Thai Rath political cartoon carried an interesting term: "คนหนักแผ่นดิน"

I couldn't find it in any of my dictionaries or on-line. My friend tells me:

คนหนักแผ่นดิน is a person who does not do any good for their family, community, country and/or this mother earth.

Untitled 1.doc

Yesterday's Thai Rath political cartoon carried an interesting term: "คนหนักแผ่นดิน"

I couldn't find it in any of my dictionaries or on-line. My friend tells me:

คนหนักแผ่นดิน is a person who does not do any good for their family, community, country and/or this mother earth.

หนักแผ่นดิน has historical importance for Thais as it was a popular song in the 70s sung by the Red Gaurs and Village Scouts. These groups were heavily backed by the military and higher powers, basically the same group that eventually morphed into the PAD. The song was directed against against anybody who opposed them who, at the time, were mainly student activists.

It has had a recent revival:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=h7kVoB1IJCI

• 1 month later...

sawatdee kurp! sabai dee reu?

Hello (male speaker) --- sawatdee krup

How are you? --- sabai dee reu

Am I doing this right?rolleyes.gif

Hello midnightjay. If you look back to the first page of this thread, you'll see that it was agreed to use the standard transliteration on www.thai2english.com - as this includes tone marks.

So, with that in mind, "sawatdee krup" would then be written "sà-wàt-dee kráp" and "sabai dee reu" written "sà-baai dee rĕu kráp".

I always thought sà-baai dee mai kráp not sà-baai dee rĕu kráp

Can someone clarify.

Also when we met a couple i said to his girl friend vandee.

I thought she may have given me a smile.

I understand it stood for " Sweet Dreams"

But she said i was too old for her.

So have i got this one wrong too.

i heard it from a Laungage CD.

So maybe the CD was for a certain area.

Thanks in advance. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think using transliteration is a dead-end lane......

Learning the thai alphabet means a lot of fun.

I started with reading the numberplates while sitting in a taxi in Bkk, asking the driver if i was guessing right.

After some time the single characters became words and I could read trafficsigns.

Really read where to go and also sitting in restaurants and order by myself!!

What is most important to learn right from the beginning is, that the consonants are divided in three classes.

I did so like the thai children.

There are green, red and blue consonants.

According to the class they react to the tonemark in a different way!

That seems complicatet but it isn't.

For example:

the green and red consonants react to the Maieeg as the are supposed to: deep tone

ข่าว=news

ก่ =chicken

but the blue ones react like in

ม่'=no!

have fun!

• 2 months later...
tooth = fun

BF/GF = fan

right?

Explorer :o

Maybe the answer is for the POSTER of words is to include a English word or saying and UNDERLINE the section to indicate the pronounced word they have given.

Ie

fun = teeth or tooth

(I had FUN at the fair today)

Khaw-Thort = sorry / excuse me

(The rook makes a CAW sound, this is what I was TAUGHT at school)Pronounce as one word

Chock-Dee = good luck

(The last CHOCK was taken away by CynDEE so the vehicle could move)

See-Far = the color blue

(I can't SEE to FAR in the mist of the night)

Ling - monkey (generic name)

(Today on a fishing trip I caught a LING fish)

Gin-Jock = geko

(I drink GIN and tonic, but my scottish friend JOCK drinks beer)Pronounce as one word

tor-a-sap = telephone

(i TORE some bark from A tree and I could see the SAP dripping down) Pronounce as one word

Any one any thoughts on this idea, but for sure WE do need to use one format here, the problem is many Thai words have no English equivalent, but we should be able to get many many basic words on this thread.

Cheers

CF

Excellent way to do this - I would love to learn some phrases / conversational Thai before I move over there. By the way do you put KA / Krup after every thing?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The government's latest coined phrase to describe its package of policies to woo the voters:

ประชาวิวัฒน์ - The People's Agenda

I saw another English phrase as a translation of this Thai phrase today, but I think this one seemed snappier.

The government's latest coined phrase to describe its package of policies to woo the voters:

I saw another English phrase as a translation of this Thai phrase today, but I think this one seemed snappier.

Bannork,

Thank you for raising the question of an English rendering of the Thai word "ประชาวิวัฒน์". TheBangkok Post on December 21 stated:

"The government's populist ''Pracha Wiwat'' (People's Agenda) policy has made bigheadlines, but I wonder how PM Abhisit will fund it."

I wonder if the translation of the Thai term was the Bangkok Post's innovation orwhether the government itself is responsible."

In a recent article in Bangkok Business News the columnist กาแฟดำ noted:

"ตรวจพจนานุกรมแล้วก็จะพบว่า 'วิวัฒน์' แปลว่าเจริญรุ่งเรือง ซึ่งแม้จะมีความหมายแตกต่างไปจาก 'นิยม' แต่ก็หนีไม่พ้นว่าพอมีคำว่า 'ประชา' นำหน้า ก็จะถูกจับเข้ากลุ่มเดียวกับ 'ประชานิยม' อย่างหลีกเลี่ยงไม่ได้"

"If we look up the term 'วิวัฒน์' in the dictionary we will find that it means 'progress [in the direction of] prosperity' which, although it has a meaning different from an 'ism' we cannot escape the fact that because it is prefixed with 'people' it falls into the same category as 'populism'."

Actually,the Royal Institute Dictionary provides a bit more definitional material:

"วิวัฒน, วิวัฒน์ [วัดทะนะ,วัด] น.ความเจริญรุ่งเรือง, ความคลี่คลาย ไปในทางเจริญ."

'. . .noun. Progress [in the direction of] prosperity, positive improvement in a progressive sense.'

A variant of the word "วิวัฒน์" is the scientific term "วิวัฒนาการ", evolution. And here arises the very common fallacy regarding the meaning of Darwinian "evolution". The Thai word embeds the common notion of progressive development of species to a higher and higher "level" in the chain of life. To Darwin, however, the notion meant "decent with modification", with no implication of betterment; and to evolutionary biologists "evolution" means adaptation by organisms to local conditions. In a cultural sense, on the other hand, certainly "evolution" implies betterment, as the RID definition amply demonstrates.

So, all this having been said, I wonder if "ประชาวิวัฒน์" might not be better translated as "Progressivism" or "Popular Progressivism". Fully realizing that this is a mouthful, I suspect that this move toward literalism will nevere merge, or "evolve" for that matter.

A Happy New Year to all. Any thoughts?

can anyone translate the word 'sentence structuring' to me in thai ? thank you

Do you mean making up sentences? สร้างประโยค or เรียงคำตามหน้าที่ในประโยคตามต้องการ

Construction of a sentence is การสร้างประโยค .

โครงสร้างของประโยค is sentence structure.

Whatever you want to call it, the Peua Thai thinks the accomplishments of the government are the same as you'd get

frpm a noodle coolie.

"เพื่อไทย" บอกผลงานรัฐบาลเหมือนบะหมี่จับกัง

บะหมี่ noodles

จับกัง laborer, coolie

Archived