Many Children 'Don't Succeed At Basic Levels' In Thai Schools

webfact

A couple of things to remember: First, the ability to speak English is not the end-all, be-all of education. Many good students will not have the opportunity or inclination to learn to a standard that we might find acceptable, especially the speaking.

Second, as the country moves toward universal education for children, the overall performance will drop. You have children who come from families and backgrounds that are seriously disadvantaged in the academic areas.

Most countries, once they have universal education, mandatory attendance etc., then begin to tailor the education system to meet the needs of children who are underachievers or have learning disabilities.

As it currently stands, there are very few schools that have anything even remotely resembling special education.

This is not to discount teacher training, education policies, class size or any of the other points. I just want to point out that some years ago, education was afforded to the rich, the academically gifted and a few others. The great unwashed masses had limited opportunities.

I've got about a dozen school age kids here on my soi. They are from 5 to 15 years old. Probably half of them are no more "learned" than the day they were born. They call all read and do some math but I doubt they can do much more.

When they play "school" the teacher carries some sort of weapon and lightly smacks one of the others from time to time. One thing they are good at, particulary the boys, is screaming at each other as that is what they do in class while they do their endless rote learning activities.

They are good kids and I enjoy them very much.

Remember we're in Thailand. You really could have worded that sentence better.

:cheesy: Jing krahp

Once I went to a school in Roi Et, I met an english teacher and... he did not speak ONE WORD of english.A few other teachers I met spoke english at a level my daughter of 6 years would be ashamed of. So if this applies to other subjects the explanation of the low standard of thai student is really really SIMPLE.

iT'S NOT THEIR FAULT, it's the fault of the sub-sub standard of the ones who are supposed to teach them, period.

My colleagues and I have also made similar observations over the past 10 years. Some friends who work in universities here also agree that the standard of student performance has dropped noticeably over the last decade of us teaching here. PISA measures mostly application of math/science skills to solving problems. This is the main reason why they have perfomed so poorly on this exam. Once the MoE changes its policies to de-emphasise rote learning and puts more emphasis on application, analysis and synthesis skills, then their scores might improve. The kinds of tasks are rarely addressed in regular classrooms in Thailand.

I've been at several schools and the problem is not the teachers, not in general anyway. The main problem is that students can't fail here and they know it. So naturally a lot of them develop a I-don't-have-to-do-anything attitude. Most schools suck up to the parents, especially if it's a private school. It's all about the benjamins and if you as a falang teacher complain about it to the school and/or the parents too often, you will either have to back down or you'll get the boot so the parents and the school can save their faces.

The next problem is that in a lot of cases both parents have to go to work in order to make enough money. This leaves the kids to be raised either by their grandparents or someone else. A lot of grandparents have a tendency to spoil their grandkids or aren't physically able to keep up with them and let them have their way because it's easier. The result is a bunch of spoilt brats that think they can do whatever they want.

I had classes with up to 55 students and 50 of them never did their homework, never paid attention or showed any interest whatsoever. They were just physically there. I complained about this a million times and always got the same answer: "That's the way it is. We can't change it. We have to be nice to them because the parents pay a lot of money for their kids to be educated at this school, bla bla bla". At the end of the second term parents were asking: "How come my kid can't speak English, yet, when there's 33 falang teachers at this school?" It was really ridiculous, so I left. But there's also schools were it's such a pleasure to work because the kids are diligent and genuinely want to study, and if you get one of those you will really enjoy going to work. Most often these kids are working class kids whose parents look after them, teach them manners and to be respectful towards their teachers. The way Thai kids are supposed to be. That new generation of spoilt undisciplined brats that spends every possible second in an online game shop will all end up in factories or bars because they're no good for anything else.

You have hit the nail on the head! FACE, FACE, FACE. Until this country starts to (excuse the pun) 'face up to the fact' that their so called 'Degree's' aren't worth a piece of sxxt in the REAL WORLD then nothing will happen.

I have a friend with two sons and the 'work books' have to be bought brand new for every term. She cannot give her second son the books that her first son used because the school will not allow it, she has to buy new ones from the school of course!!! another bloody Thai rip off.

I live not far from one of the 'Universities' and all that I seem to see is the young students going backwards and forwards at all times of the day. They never seem to be attending any lectures and I'm sure that they will all come out with 'Masters Degree's' , what a fxxxing joke.

Another friend of mine, who was previously a teacher here in Thailand, told me that at one of the private schools that he 'Tried to teach at'(his words not mine) he was told by the 'Head' "Don't teach them too much". What a wonderfully encouraging way to start a term off! He now teaches in the middle east and the exact opposite is applied and he is in his element and tells me that the youngsters that he teaches are ravenous for knowledge - again his words not mine. So it would seem that if you teach sod all you encourage the mentality; do the opposite and you stimulate the brain. As previous posters have said and I believe it to be true, 'Keep the masses uneducated' as it keeps the price of labour down.

I am sure, that there are an awful lot of very bright minded children here in Thailand who's ability to learn and develop their thinking capacities are being denied this by the 'rote' system that seems to be endemic in the educational system that is prevalent here in Thailand. Until somebody in authority has the 'THAI BALLS' to confront this and change it nothing will happen and Thailand will continue to drop down the educational ladder until it disappears into the mire, never to surface again, whilst it's 'neighbours' continue to grow in REAL educational strength that is acknowledged by the 'Outside World'.

As an old man I feel extremely sorry for the Thai youngsters who are being denied a decent education through no fault of their own. Those that 'don't want to learn' can go to hell as far as I'm concerned; but for goodness sake give those that do want to further their knowledge a chance. I live in hope that Thailand will see the light before it is far too late for all concerned.

"We need to first look inside the 'black box' of the classroom and carefully observe and analyse what is going on, in terms of student-teacher interaction and real teaching and learning, and then come up with measures to facilitate positive changes."

How about starting with less than 50-60 students per class. With those figures I'm amazed that the poor little buggers manage to learn anything whatsoever.

40+ in my classes

Once I went to a school in Roi Et, I met an english teacher and... he did not speak ONE WORD of english.A few other teachers I met spoke english at a level my daughter of 6 years would be ashamed of. So if this applies to other subjects the explanation of the low standard of thai student is really really SIMPLE.

iT'S NOT THEIR FAULT, it's the fault of the sub-sub standard of the ones who are supposed to teach them, period.

My colleagues and I have also made similar observations over the past 10 years. Some friends who work in universities here also agree that the standard of student performance has dropped noticeably over the last decade of us teaching here. PISA measures mostly application of math/science skills to solving problems. This is the main reason why they have perfomed so poorly on this exam. Once the MoE changes its policies to de-emphasise rote learning and puts more emphasis on application, analysis and synthesis skills, then their scores might improve. The kinds of tasks are rarely addressed in regular classrooms in Thailand.

I've been at several schools and the problem is not the teachers, not in general anyway. The main problem is that students can't fail here and they know it. So naturally a lot of them develop a I-don't-have-to-do-anything attitude. Most schools suck up to the parents, especially if it's a private school. It's all about the benjamins and if you as a falang teacher complain about it to the school and/or the parents too often, you will either have to back down or you'll get the boot so the parents and the school can save their faces.

The next problem is that in a lot of cases both parents have to go to work in order to make enough money. This leaves the kids to be raised either by their grandparents or someone else. A lot of grandparents have a tendency to spoil their grandkids or aren't physically able to keep up with them and let them have their way because it's easier. The result is a bunch of spoilt brats that think they can do whatever they want.

I had classes with up to 55 students and 50 of them never did their homework, never paid attention or showed any interest whatsoever. They were just physically there. I complained about this a million times and always got the same answer: "That's the way it is. We can't change it. We have to be nice to them because the parents pay a lot of money for their kids to be educated at this school, bla bla bla". At the end of the second term parents were asking: "How come my kid can't speak English, yet, when there's 33 falang teachers at this school?" It was really ridiculous, so I left. But there's also schools were it's such a pleasure to work because the kids are diligent and genuinely want to study, and if you get one of those you will really enjoy going to work. Most often these kids are working class kids whose parents look after them, teach them manners and to be respectful towards their teachers. The way Thai kids are supposed to be. That new generation of spoilt undisciplined brats that spends every possible second in an online game shop will all end up in factories or bars because they're no good for anything else.

You have hit the nail on the head! FACE, FACE, FACE. Until this country starts to (excuse the pun) 'face up to the fact' that their so called 'Degree's' aren't worth a piece of sxxt in the REAL WORLD then nothing will happen.

I have a friend with two sons and the 'work books' have to be bought brand new for every term. She cannot give her second son the books that her first son used because the school will not allow it, she has to buy new ones from the school of course!!! another bloody Thai rip off.

I live not far from one of the 'Universities' and all that I seem to see is the young students going backwards and forwards at all times of the day. They never seem to be attending any lectures and I'm sure that they will all come out with 'Masters Degree's' , what a fxxxing joke.

Another friend of mine, who was previously a teacher here in Thailand, told me that at one of the private schools that he 'Tried to teach at'(his words not mine) he was told by the 'Head' "Don't teach them too much". What a wonderfully encouraging way to start a term off! He now teaches in the middle east and the exact opposite is applied and he is in his element and tells me that the youngsters that he teaches are ravenous for knowledge - again his words not mine. So it would seem that if you teach sod all you encourage the mentality; do the opposite and you stimulate the brain. As previous posters have said and I believe it to be true, 'Keep the masses uneducated' as it keeps the price of labour down.

I am sure, that there are an awful lot of very bright minded children here in Thailand who's ability to learn and develop their thinking capacities are being denied this by the 'rote' system that seems to be endemic in the educational system that is prevalent here in Thailand. Until somebody in authority has the 'THAI BALLS' to confront this and change it nothing will happen and Thailand will continue to drop down the educational ladder until it disappears into the mire, never to surface again, whilst it's 'neighbours' continue to grow in REAL educational strength that is acknowledged by the 'Outside World'.

As an old man I feel extremely sorry for the Thai youngsters who are being denied a decent education through no fault of their own. Those that 'don't want to learn' can go to hell as far as I'm concerned; but for goodness sake give those that do want to further their knowledge a chance. I live in hope that Thailand will see the light before it is far too late for all concerned.

And you too Sir, have struck it for the second time, on the head , dead centre.

Pretty much everything your friend said about teaching here is bang on right, I would say.

There are kids in my classes who want to learn and really respect the teachers, but just sit there looking completely defeated by the majority of the rest of the class, who could not give a Dingo's Kidney about their educations, or the teacher up front, trying to teach a class, as they play on thier laptops, playstations, mobile phones or go to the rear of the class to rehearse their dance routines for the display at assembly or the next up coming show in school, or just fall asleep or just nod politely as if they understand then laugh their heads off after saying stuff in Thai knowing the falang teacher cannot understand. Don't get me wrong though , as outside of class they are totally different kids mostly.

This is the picture I have formed and witnessed in my all but brief 6 months teaching here in Thailand, and must admit I enjoy it. I am told to go and just have fun with the kids, make them laugh, after all at the end of each term they will be the ones who have a large part in judging whether, so if thats the way they want their kids to be educated and pay me to do as they say, then I will, in order to keep my job, my work permit and ultimately my sanity. So there are now a lot of kids being bought up on question and answer sessions following videos of Mr Bean, Morecombe and Wise, Eric Sykes, Noman Wisdom et al.

This is not quite the way I was shown to teach English by the multitude of TEFL courses out there (I actually did two of them, which basically folllow similar methods, that will work in classes of about 10 very enthusiastic, attentive kids), but what else can you do to shut up and grab the attention of kids brought up to expect Sanuck in all aspects of their lives where if they cross the line or confront real life their parents will buy their way out of it, and their school masters put more emphasis on all kids putting on a good show second to being taught anything ( of course that isn't important they will all get pass marks anyway, or the school will be seen to be failing them and parents won't pay for them to come there anymore).

So, where does this all lead to when the kids have to get jobs or go to University? I imagine those that have and don't go to University will no doubt have parents that will buy them jobs in Gov't or the Forces etc. Those that go to University will have parents buy their places, while a few will sit entry exams, which if at first they fail, can sit and sit again until they get the required grades and mum and dad can afford to continue their 'educations', and pursue a degree course which is at a level not much higher than a GCSE / AS level qualification in the UK.

I happen to know someone with an MBA in Thailand who needs a calculator or to write on paper, to do simple additions such as 130, 000 + 280,000 + 340,000 for example (= 750 + 3 Noughts, I just did in my head), so what hope the rest of them, and she is old school too, so it is not just modern day standards lowering in my opinion.

SO,WHO IS IT THAT WILL BE SERVICING MY PLANE AT SUVARNHIBUMI AIRPORT OR MENDING MY CAR OR RUNNING MY BANK ACCOUNT ?????????????????????????????????

VERY CONCERNING ISN'T IT?

"We need to admit it and change education to match the 21st Century."

This guy has it right.

On another note. I'm surprised and delighted at all the really good statements and thoughts put on this post. Good job all. Well, almost all. :rolleyes:

Cooperative Learning, student centered learning, building critical thinking skills, developing independent learners, inspiring a love for reading and learning. This is what educates. Unfortunately it requires teachers to change their role from dominating the classroom to being an educational facilitator, providing the teacher excellent training and resources, and limiting classes to 20-25 per room.

At our school we recently translated the latest MOE curriculum. It was bizarre to say the least and required great imagination and skill to make sense of it. As we translated it with half a dozen Thai teachers you could see the growth of embarrassment from the Thai teachers and they themselves came to realize how inept and bizarre the curriculum was!

That, coupled with the aforementioned problem of older Thai teachers never retired out of the system "AJARN AMADA" in Thai, meaning "IMMORTAL TEACHER", coupled with a refusal to fail students, coupled with Thai teachers who have failed their own subjects at university but still allowed to pass.

The list goes on... its just a basic Thai problem of culture and face saving behavior that will not allow for any drastic change. The MOE should be the first to be totally revamped but that will never happen because the are also "immortals".

Lastly, the only real coordinated attempt to do anything about education in government schools is by the wealthy and powerful who would PREFER a below par education system as its easy to manage the poor and uneducated. Its also another reason foreigners are resented here, not because of money or other things but the fact they "poison" locals with foreign culture and education. You can see almost any Thai that has studied or lived overseas for a number of years cannot return to Thai society without feeling resentment or confusion at what actually goes on here. Their "awakening" to Thai culture and its class system is a shock to them, not only for the poor or middle class but for wealthier Thais too! For them it signifies a danger that all that they have may one day come crumbling down. For the poor or uneducated, it signifies change, hence recent public unrest.

As long as the privileged can keep the "under privileged" uneducated, their status will remain the same but it must be scary times for those people. With the rise internet use and influx of foreigners corrupting the minds of the masses, it seems that age of "manufacturing consent" is on shaky grounds.

Wars, floods, riots and Nationalism are some of the tools still left to keep the populace's minds occupied but they must be really busy at the top nowadays.... busy.... and just a little worried.

Fixing the Thai education system is a long term project and I honestly don't think many of the current politicians have the foresight to start this, as the rewards will be reaped by a government 5, 10 , 15 years down the line.

It would appear the powers that be don't want to fix it, why bother? It allows them a steady stream of under educated pawns to use in whatever fashion they want. It's all part and parcel of the way this society has evolved (or devolved) into what it is today every person for themselves at whatever the cost to those around them. If you have the right name or can make the right phone call do whatever you want. If not tough titties. There is NO will to change the education system which is why it will never happen. Those troublesome farang that think they know a better way to run the education system will simply be ignored or worse gotten rid of.. amazing Thailand indeed

Well, after two years teaching business communication, marketing, and management at a top five Thai university, I feel qualified to comment. I was appalled at the capabilities, and previous learning of second year university students. There is a motivational issue, which is addressed by the responder commenting on "no student fails" - so why pay attention. But they do generally have an attention span problem characteristic and are little interested in anything outside their base level life experience. Their ability to "think" is almost non existent. We worked this through with many practical business cases and thought organization. They are basically very limited by their environment and culture. true, I was mainly working with elite class students who were bought in or there based on family reputational influence. Overall, their ability to comprehend ideas and conceptual thinking is very restricted and shockingly limited. The thing that bothered me most and was increasingly difficult for me to deal with was their attitude of "privilege" , entitlement, and general resistance to try and put in a solid effort. The final point I can comment on is the total absence of management, organizational leadership, work ethic, and example.

Fixing the Thai education system is a long term project and I honestly don't think many of the current politicians have the foresight to start this, as the rewards will be reaped by a government 5, 10 , 15 years down the line.

It would appear the powers that be don't want to fix it, why bother? It allows them a steady stream of under educated pawns to use in whatever fashion they want. It's all part and parcel of the way this society has evolved (or devolved) into what it is today every person for themselves at whatever the cost to those around them. If you have the right name or can make the right phone call do whatever you want. If not tough titties. There is NO will to change the education system which is why it will never happen. Those troublesome farang that think they know a better way to run the education system will simply be ignored or worse gotten rid of.. amazing Thailand indeed

Well, after two years teaching business communication, marketing, and management at a top five Thai university, I feel qualified to comment. I was appalled at the capabilities, and previous learning of second year university students. There is a motivational issue, which is addressed by the responder commenting on "no student fails" - so why pay attention. But they do generally have an attention span problem characteristic and are little interested in anything outside their base level life experience. Their ability to "think" is almost non existent. We worked this through with many practical business cases and thought organization. They are basically very limited by their environment and culture. true, I was mainly working with elite class students who were bought in or there based on family reputational influence. Overall, their ability to comprehend ideas and conceptual thinking is very restricted and shockingly limited. The thing that bothered me most and was increasingly difficult for me to deal with was their attitude of "privilege" , entitlement, and general resistance to try and put in a solid effort. The final point I can comment on is the total absence of management, organizational leadership, work ethic, and example.

As long as teachers are not allowed to fail Thai students... there is no point to start any debate...

Thai kids CANT be failed... they all pass to the next level... 100% ...why shall they study????

it cost nothing to implement that policy

the no fail policy fails students!... but then they will have to learn on how to loose face

The sad point is that IF Thai students would fail there would be more teachers employed, there would be more schools and even some lazy guys would listen to their English lessons. ( If it would be a main subject).

The loosing face problem should be dissolved living in the 21st century. I'm teaching in my seventh year at my third school and the problems regarding Thai English teachers were at all schools.

Most Thai English teachers do not speak English in a way to teach the language successfully.

Why can't they send their English teachers overseas to stay some years in an English speaking country? The best English speaking people are bar girls, because they have to be able to communicate with their customers. And they've got a lot of them.

Hope nobody will loose face by reading TV and Thais will develop their common sense. :jap:

Many kids have no reason to excel. sit around in their rural village earning a scrap or catching a bus to Ayutthaya for a 16 hour day that pays 300 baht. Wow.

I found that M1 (age about 11) was the best level for student achievement. After that they begin to grow up become individuals and then the system fails them. My students were losing the plot by age 15 and then those moving up to tech college etc didnt have a continuation of English classes. By 17 they had lost ambition and identity. About 5-10% had language skills. When I met these students in later life none could even even answer the question 'can you speak English'............

No surprise in this news story. Thai teachers are effective baby sitters. :jap:

I disagree. They are not effective baby sitters, when you get all the inter-school violence.

They are EFFECTIVELY baby sitters, but certainly not effective.

The only way to improve the quality of the students is to improve the quality of the teachers.

The only way to improve the quality of the teachers is to improve the quality of university lecturers.

The only way to get quality lecturers is to get people who have been taught in a quality system... i.e. NOT Thailand.

Foreign lecturers are needed to train new Thai teachers for about 20 years before Thais can take over for themselves.

It's a pity this country wasn't colonised by the British. The people would be a lot better off.

not the first time ive heard this one, and i agree , if the brits had colonised thailand it could be in the same shape as singapore now , .good schools, cleaner , no or little corruption , a wefare state , high earnings , safer .................but who wants to live or holiday there ? ........ not me !

But they sing the national anthem oh so well...

just goes to show how well their little brains are manipulated /brain washed, ..... i mean why ? what are they so nationalistic about ? their inventions ? the education system giving opportunies to all ? their military might ? the clean streets ? the scams ? the corruption ?, the huge sex industry.,? the hygiene ?, their justice system ?, the police force ?,their racism ?.......maybe its just a "catchy "little number ! :ph34r:

Edited by osiboy

Figures from a study conducted in 2009 by the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) showed that the learning level of 15-year-old Thai children was ranked at 50th for reading, 50th for mathematics and 49th for science, out of 65 participating countries.

But they're sure as hell winning a lot of medals at international maths & science olympiads. :whistling:

The great thing about math and science is, Thai culture can't fuc_k that up.

A couple of things to remember: First, the ability to speak English is not the end-all, be-all of education. Many good students will not have the opportunity or inclination to learn to a standard that we might find acceptable, especially the speaking.

Second, as the country moves toward universal education for children, the overall performance will drop. You have children who come from families and backgrounds that are seriously disadvantaged in the academic areas.

Most countries, once they have universal education, mandatory attendance etc., then begin to tailor the education system to meet the needs of children who are underachievers or have learning disabilities.

As it currently stands, there are very few schools that have anything even remotely resembling special education.

This is not to discount teacher training, education policies, class size or any of the other points. I just want to point out that some years ago, education was afforded to the rich, the academically gifted and a few others. The great unwashed masses had limited opportunities.

Except for those winning overseas scholarships or those studying the sciences I think that is still pretty much true. To send you child to a Thai university (ANY of them) for anything other than a science degree (and only a few universities for that) is IMO indifference to the welfare of a child. Not just because i is seemingly an intellectual wasteland (it is not), but because Thai culture suffocates everything. It addles, cripples, shackles the mind, and I don't know any parent that would wish that on their child.

Figures from a study conducted in 2009 by the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) showed that the learning level of 15-year-old Thai children was ranked at 50th for reading, 50th for mathematics and 49th for science, out of 65 participating countries.

But they're sure as hell winning a lot of medals at international maths & science olympiads. :whistling:

A handful of winners does NOT a country of bright students make.

But how many kids win medals? Sadly it's only a tiny fraction of the total student population.

As per the OP the problem here is that decent, worthwhile education is only enjoyed by a tiny minority.

Callously you could say that this is of little consequence if you only need low-paid, low-skilled workers, but the Thai economy has (increasingly) moved on from this and to remain competitive in the region the education system desperately needs addressing. The problem is vested interests in the education industry, the expense and the long term nature of the payback. None of which are appealing to short term focused politicians.

yes - only those who can afford to send their kids overseas........

The government is not interested in educating their people.

The children have no motivation because they cannot "fail".

Thai people would rather have their skin removed by sandpaper than lose face.

Telling blatant lies is preferable to losing face with the truth.

Education in not compulsory at all: in that the law is not enforced and many parents aren't bothered.

The quality of English, even of university heads of English department is dreadful - I've known two (HODs).

Thais in general are inherently suspicious of anything foreign (including foreigners) and would much rather pretend they're s first-class nation surrounded by ignorant neighbours than acknowledge they are incompatible and now unable to compete in any any with Western nation.

Thus they can see little purpose in learning English.

But on the other hand their economy is not about to collapse in ruins.....

Thank God they don't know about any of this!!!!!!!!! The'd become insufferable!

R

My friend's adopted Thai daughter is #2 in Mathmatics in Texas as a 16 years old girl. Thais are highly intelligent but in Thailand there is no motivation as their lot in life is decided by their social standing (The connected will get a good position over a more qualified less connected Thai). Someone will have to start a Teacher's College with Western Analytic problem solving teaching methods. Teach the teachers how to teach analytic problem solving and you can get the kids interested in competitive learning. The graduates of this system will be the innovators of the future. The new system introduced next to the old system will soon show the uslessnes of the old system. Get the bureaucrats out of the way and bring education down to local, parent involved school boards where standards and curriculum are decided.

"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires" - Willian Arthur Ward

Most of us would agree to the U.N's findings.

Older teachers who are not efficent should be put out to pasture / retired. Never will happen.

There needs to be a cooperation between Asian and Western educators on Education requirements for the different subject areas: Never will happen.

Asian and westerners need to work together in developing the curriculum and tools to better teach. Never will happen.

Thai citizens need to decide for themselves what road they want to take. Get communities involved in curriculum development and tell MOE to step aside.

Give an enima to the entire Education system. Starting from the top.

I thought that the powers that be with responsibility for the lack of education of tomorrows generation undergo enema operations on a weekly basis. This being Thailand where nothing ever works the way it should, the effluent comes out of their mouths instead of lower down the body towards the rear.