When Is A Gun Not A Gun ?

LivinLOS

Op I think as a non-Thai you're always going to be on the wrong side of the law regarding holding a fire arm in Thailand. Due to the, (as you described yourself) vague laws on the control of weapons. It's not hard to acquire a hand gun or small-arm here, and for the right price you can obtain an OK, even a 'license' from your local police chief, however, when that chief leaves or a bigger 'cheese' wants to make trouble…….You got trouble.

I've had the offer a few times from my local copper, for a hand gun…..with Thai guarantee, he basically told me; "no problem, I the law here" I declined. As it happens, the copper who made the offer moved to another area one month after the last offer!

Having said all this, a friend has an old 'Muzzle loader' in his wife's name, he's had it for a few years, no problem so far. I would think you would be OK with 'Softair' or paintball. But you never know here. Good luck

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean the definition of the law is secret ?? Not being available to the public ?? That makes no sense.

What makes an airsoft gun or paintball gun legal ?? And what then makes a different air pellet gun illegal..

Simple question.. Yet one without an answer.. Much like 'work is any work mental or physical' just make a huge catch all law, and ignore it if you dont want to think about it.

the law is simple enough, but the small print as in the importers/retailers lisences is not public

Op I think as a non-Thai you're always going to be on the wrong side of the law regarding holding a fire arm in Thailand. Due to the, (as you described yourself) vague laws on the control of weapons. It's not hard to acquire a hand gun or small-arm here, and for the right price you can obtain an OK, even a 'license' from your local police chief, however, when that chief leaves or a bigger 'cheese' wants to make trouble…….You got trouble.

I've had the offer a few times from my local copper, for a hand gun…..with Thai guarantee, he basically told me; "no problem, I the law here" I declined. As it happens, the copper who made the offer moved to another area one month after the last offer!

Having said all this, a friend has an old 'Muzzle loader' in his wife's name, he's had it for a few years, no problem so far. I would think you would be OK with 'Softair' or paintball. But you never know here. Good luck

got plenty of similar offers before I got a lisenced gun. Police do not issue gun lisences, usually Amphur

You mean the definition of the law is secret ?? Not being available to the public ?? That makes no sense.

What makes an airsoft gun or paintball gun legal ?? And what then makes a different air pellet gun illegal..

Simple question.. Yet one without an answer.. Much like 'work is any work mental or physical' just make a huge catch all law, and ignore it if you dont want to think about it.

the law is simple enough, but the small print as in the importers/retailers lisences is not public

How is it simple.. If no one can know it.. You cant have a 'secret' law..

I was told on a Thai forum last night again "all airguns are technically illegal without a firearms reg" and again it comes back to why is a paintball, airsoft, or BB gun any different. It would seem they are also 'illegal' to the letter of the law (which I put earlier in the thread) but the law is ignored in this case as being too far reaching.

got plenty of similar offers before I got a lisenced gun. Police do not issue gun lisences, usually Amphur

Hi 'katabeachbum'

"Police do not issue gun licenses"…I know mate… I was being ironic, and nor can your local copper OK you buying and using a weapon!

Your statement about having a license sure puts the cat amongthe pigeons. I didn't think as a non-Thai you would get one. Can you elaborate the circumstances of how you got one, and the frame work of said license? I'm genuinely interested.

Can a farang import and or purchase something like a .22 Pre charged pneumatic air rifle ??

In short No it will be confiscated !!!

I have always owned guns and when I came to Thailand to retire, I looked into ownership.

As you say I could not have a gun license but my wife can.

When asked about airguns the guy in the shop smiled and said they do not allow them in Thailand but your wife after she has gone to the police station for papers she can purchase a Revolver, a Rifle or a Shotgun.:blink:

Think ladies are limited too .22. IF you have a Thai cop friend he can buy anything in his name and your lady can keep it for 5 years and then get it transferred into her name.

Well, thats what my Thai cop friend tells me. ;):)

any gun lisence is limited to 10 bullets, not the size of them.

Just shows how different stuff is dealt with in different parts of the country. Just remembered there was a second cop friend (officer) who gave the same info as my other post/policeman. ;)

Hi 'katabeachbum'

"Police do not issue gun licenses"…I know mate… I was being ironic, and nor can your local copper OK you buying and using a weapon!

Your statement about having a license sure puts the cat amongthe pigeons. I didn't think as a non-Thai you would get one. Can you elaborate the circumstances of how you got one, and the frame work of said license? I'm genuinely interested.

Me too, as said before even though these cops were buying a gun in their name for a 5 year period it could then be put in my mrs name, not mine.

How is it simple.. If no one can know it.. You cant have a 'secret' law..

I was told on a Thai forum last night again "all airguns are technically illegal without a firearms reg" and again it comes back to why is a paintball, airsoft, or BB gun any different. It would seem they are also 'illegal' to the letter of the law (which I put earlier in the thread) but the law is ignored in this case as being too far reaching.

The law is very far reaching as it denys anything, but in reality next part of the law is used by issuing guide lines and restrictions in import and retail lisences

Hi 'katabeachbum'

Me too, as said before even though these cops were buying a gun in their name for a 5 year period it could then be put in my mrs name, not mine.

Foreigners with gun lisensed, except army and police, are usually

40 mill baht BoI investors

CEO(s) of Public co ltd, reg in yellow housebook

Major shareholders in public co ltd or large reg capital co ltd

PR but also Master of House and must own Chanote

dont see why the cops would keep gun for 5 years. any cop is entitled to buy a new gun tax free (half the price) every 2 year, and then transfer its ownership. Amphur requires a minimum of 6 months as Master of House in Muang to issue lisence, in addition to bank deposits, Chanote ownership etc. so 2 years is sufficient

dont want to comment on my lisenced gun

The "keyword" is where you came from and we are not in where you came from, we are in Thailand. If you use a gun to hurt or kill someone in your own home here in Thailand, if you're a foreigner. Be it in defense of yourself or your family, 1st thing they gonna throw at you would be illegal possession of a firearm, even if you own the firearm "legally", there would be something to make it illegal. Whatever rights we have in our own country or where we come from, it doesn't exist here and whatever rights we don't have at home, by knowing the right people here, it exists. What seems complicated is actually very simple here in Thailand and what seems simple usually becomes complicated.

I won't challenge or argue your rights to defend yourself, only difference is do it tactfully with minimum harm to your opponent especially if it's a Thai. Am sure for someone who spent his entire life protecting the public, you would know how to disarm a maniac wielding a knife without breaking a sweat.

So ...... Just buy the house, move in your family and hope the bad guys don't come in and hack you all up some night because you have no way to defend yourself ? Sorry, where I come from people are allowed to protect themselves and their families. "Guns are over rated", what was the last novel you read ? I've spent my life protecting the general public, so when I hear people say they have no right to protect themselves and they should move to another country, it upsets me a little. You are wrong and misinformed. Thailand has become a dangerous place in many areas due to the poor economic conditions, the drug problems and the easy accessibility of weapons. People have a right to protect themselves anywhere in the world, especially in a democracy. In my country, it's in a law called the Bill of Rights, the second amendment to be precise.

The "keyword" is where you came from and we are not in where you came from, we are in Thailand. If you use a gun to hurt or kill someone in your own home here in Thailand, if you're a foreigner. Be it in defense of yourself or your family, 1st thing they gonna throw at you would be illegal possession of a firearm, even if you own the firearm "legally", there would be something to make it illegal. Whatever rights we have in our own country or where we come from, it doesn't exist here and whatever rights we don't have at home, by knowing the right people here, it exists. What seems complicated is actually very simple here in Thailand and what seems simple usually becomes complicated.

I think a lot of that depends on how your perceived in the community, and how you handle yourself in the event.. I certainly do not buy the 'we are always in the wrong' yes theres a bias, but my experience is that bias can usually be overcome fairly rapidly by dealing with the more senior cops, by being calm and polite, by being firm, and if things are being accused making sure you use a good lawyer.

Secondly the police have very low attitude to criminals, and rough justice fits their modus operandi most of the time.. Some low class possibly criminal record, possibly drug user etc is not going to have a lot of clout, this isnt pitting you against the local poo yai, its you against the lower element of society. In which case the negative bias you may have is already compensated for. In many situations we are the lower ranking one, tho against a house breaker ?? Not so.

I remember a case in Patong where a farang came home to his apartment and caught a break in, they fought, and the farang lobbed him off a 3rd or 4th story balcony.. I cant remember if the intruder died or was merely badly injured but I remember the local police chief congratulating the farang and being most positive about having doe the right thing.

Its not without risk, but neither is an armed house intruder.. I would far rather they ran away, but if they wanted to walk forward I know which risk I would take.

I won't challenge or argue your rights to defend yourself, only difference is do it tactfully with minimum harm to your opponent especially if it's a Thai. Am sure for someone who spent his entire life protecting the public, you would know how to disarm a maniac wielding a knife without breaking a sweat.

So ...... Just buy the house, move in your family and hope the bad guys don't come in and hack you all up some night because you have no way to defend yourself ? Sorry, where I come from people are allowed to protect themselves and their families. "Guns are over rated", what was the last novel you read ? I've spent my life protecting the general public, so when I hear people say they have no right to protect themselves and they should move to another country, it upsets me a little. You are wrong and misinformed. Thailand has become a dangerous place in many areas due to the poor economic conditions, the drug problems and the easy accessibility of weapons. People have a right to protect themselves anywhere in the world, especially in a democracy. In my country, it's in a law called the Bill of Rights, the second amendment to be precise.

Thank You, I understand that 100%. I also have a Gun License and a CWP (Concealed weapons permit) issued to me. So ... there are circumstances that it is possible to own a weapon and still be within Thai law and not own a home or be a PR. However, my circumstance is a bit unique and would probably not be available to the average ex-pat ... and besides it does not matter whether a person has a permit/license or not, or what the consequences are, if your families life or your own are absolutely at stake within your home or for that matter anywhere in the Kingdom. I think you would be surprised what the Police would do if you were protecting your life with an unregistered firearm without a license. "Been there, done that", as the saying goes and the ex-pat in question suffered no penalties whatsoever (18 months ago) and his weapon was returned to him 5 months later. You can believe what you want and as it has probably been mentioned a thousand times on this forum and every other discussion on the subject, the same incident in this country may be treated a hundred different ways at any giving time depending on the people involved and the many factors of the incident. Sorry, if I sound like I have an attitude, I suppose I do on this particular subject and thread. So, I will leave it.

Edited by paulian

.. and besides it does not matter whether a person has a permit/license or not, or what the consequences are, if your families life or your own are absolutely at stake within your home or for that matter anywhere in the Kingdom.

This statement is the key.........

No matter what, at the end of the day if your life is at stake...

Would you rather worry about future legalities or save you & yours life?

It is far easier to get out of a police station than a morgue....period

.. and besides it does not matter whether a person has a permit/license or not, or what the consequences are, if your families life or your own are absolutely at stake within your home or for that matter anywhere in the Kingdom.

This statement is the key.........

No matter what, at the end of the day if your life is at stake...

Would you rather worry about future legalities or save you & yours life?

It is far easier to get out of a police station than a morgue....period

Having spent the majority of my adult life handling firearms, believe it or not I would advocate NOT holding a firearm………in the home. However, your argument 'flying' would, on the surface seem pretty air tight regarding self-defense. My only point in this would be to say. It's so often the case that weapons, (firearms) held to defend loved ones, can end up being the very thing that kills them with no threat ever having come to the door in the first place…..Does anyone know the % of house brake-in murders to farang in country?

ND's (negligent discharges)are so final; especially with hand guns, even in the hands of professionals hand guns are very….verydangerous, let alone someone with no training, due to short barrel length and relative ease of use.

I would strongly urge anyone to think about the need to hold a firearm in the house. There are other way to defend yourself and loved ones.

Having spent the majority of my adult life handling firearms, believe it or not I would advocate NOT holding a firearm………in the home. However, your argument 'flying' would, on the surface seem pretty air tight regarding self-defense. My only point in this would be to say. It's so often the case that weapons, (firearms) held to defend loved ones, can end up being the very thing that kills them with no threat ever having come to the door in the first place…..

(negligent discharges)are so final; especially with hand guns, even in the hands of professionals hand guns are very….verydangerous, let alone someone with no training, due to short barrel length and relative ease of use.

I would strongly urge anyone to think about the need to hold a firearm in the house. There are other way to defend yourself and loved ones.

Yes it goes without saying that any object/tool that has the capability of serious injury should be accompanied by proper training/usage/storage.

I would no more leave a gun or a chainsaw available to those who may hurt themselves while using it.

As for other ways to defend yourself....yes sure if your physically capable you may want to take that route.

For my wife who is trained to use pistols or rifles. I would rather she grab the 12 gauge as a combat equalizer if her life is threatened than have her try to go toe to toe with an intruder who would easily overwhelm her. Same for any other way/tool for her to defend herself.

If it entails her needing to get within striking range of a possibly larger or drug enraged opponent.

My first concern is the safety & protection of my loved ones. Either through my defense of them or if I am not there then their own knowledge of how to defend themselves.

I of course agree with firearm safety & responsible usage.

Having spent the majority of my adult life handling firearms, believe it or not I would advocate NOT holding a firearm………in the home. However, your argument 'flying' would, on the surface seem pretty air tight regarding self-defense. My only point in this would be to say. It's so often the case that weapons, (firearms) held to defend loved ones, can end up being the very thing that kills them with no threat ever having come to the door in the first place…..

(negligent discharges)are so final; especially with hand guns, even in the hands of professionals hand guns are very….verydangerous, let alone someone with no training, due to short barrel length and relative ease of use.

Yes it goes without saying that any object/tool that has the capability of serious injury should be accompanied by proper training/usage/storage.

I would no more leave a gun or a chainsaw available to those who may hurt themselves while using it.

As for other ways to defend yourself....yes sure if your physically capable you may want to take that route.

For my wife who is trained to use pistols or rifles. I would rather she grab the 12 gauge as a combat equalizer if her life is threatened than have her try to go toe to toe with an intruder who would easily overwhelm her. Same for any other way/tool for her to defend herself.

If it entails her needing to get within striking range of a possibly larger or drug enraged opponent.

My first concern is the safety & protection of my loved ones. Either through my defense of them or if I am not there then their own knowledge of how to defend themselves.

You know, I don't really disagree with your argument, as someone who is trained on firearms, and stays current, as you pointed out, a firearm is a great equalizer if physically impaired in anyway. But I do think your circumstance, as you described it is not the norm, so many people, (men) want a firearm for the wrong reasons…But make the right noises about why they need one, only to blow a hole in someone they love while showing them how good they are with it.

You seem to have a plan for defense… all thought out, fair play to you. So many people stop there plan for defense at owning the gun, a recipe for disaster. Have to say. I was smiling when reading the bit about the 12gauge……I was waiting to read where you had positioned the 'Claymore mines' and if they were on trip or remote. :rolleyes:

I hope you never have to test your defense plan for real. .................Live in peace, by training for war!

Edited by Tonto21

You know, I don't really disagree with your argument, as someone who is trained on firearms, and stays current, as you pointed out, a firearm is a great equalizer if physically impaired in anyway. But I do think your circumstance, as you described it is not the norm, so many people, (men) want a firearm for the wrong reasons…But make the right noises about why they need one, only to blow a hole in someone they love while showing them how good they are with it.

You seem to have a plan for defense… all thought out, fair play to you. So many people stop there plan for defense at owning the gun, a recipe for disaster. Have to say. I was smiling when reading the bit about the 12gauge……I was waiting to read where you had positioned the 'Claymore mines' and if they were on trip or remote. :rolleyes:

I hope you never have to test your defense plan for real. .................Live in peace, by training for war!

:D

Yes I agree with yours too for the most part.

I also agree none should own a firearm without training in both usage & safe storage.

Like you I have been involved for decades & compete + reload as well.

As for the 12 gauge it is not as demonic as you think with the claymore mines :)

While my wife owns a 9mm pistol. I have always taught her that the best home defense weapon is the 18" 12 gauge.

We have never had to test defense as we live in a good rural area.

But as you say being prepared is not a bad thing & as I said we also do it for sport & competition for many years.

:D Yes I agree with yours too for the most part.

I also agree none should own a firearm without training in both usage & safe storage.

Like you I have been involved for decades & compete + reload as well.

As for the 12 gauge it is not as demonic as you think with the claymore mines :)

While my wife owns a 9mm pistol. I have always taught her that the best home defense weapon is the 18" 12 gauge.

We have never had to test defense as we live in a good rural area.

But as you say being prepared is not a bad thing & as I said we also do it for sport & competition for many years.

Many people I find totally misunderstand the ownership and use of firearms but an 18-12 is for a purpose, not so much for sport eh.B) .

Rouge shooting and clay shooting I enjoyed in England and I liked lots of different guns, when you talk of the 12 it reminds of my first paid instruction at Holland & Hollands shooting grounds in Northwood near Watford in UK.

I went along with my first luv Remington pump 12 and when the instructor open the case, he looked at it and he turn to me and said do you do Banks, keeping a straight face I replied well not yet but when you show me how to shoot better I'll be back for a pair of Holland & Hollands.

He was a nice guy with deer stalker and all and love it for the first time for him firing a a pump shotgun, good days. :)

There is a G&P store downtown that has a large selection of Airsoft as well as many malls having store that sell airsoft, not to mention all the airsoft fields all over Thailand. I have bought a few Airsoft guns, and have a pistol as well as an M4 that will fir fully auto. These guns were bought at open shops, and made to fire at people, stings bad, but If the right "BB" is bought will do a job at close range on a coke can. Pellet guns for pest control is illegal because it is illegal to kill or hunt animals in Thailand. Shooting a dog with BB will not kill it, but is definatley a case of animal cruelty, which is illegal!

My friend ordered a Pellet rifle from US and had it shippedd, only to have it confiscated when going through customs.

I retired from the US Army and handled a pistol,1911 .45 for a lot of years, and was a licensed hunting Guide in NC and SC, and hunted maily with Handguns and Archery, and was licensed for concealed carry from a couple states, but have not found a loophole to have a gun in my name here! If you find a way, let me know, I have a "yellow house" book, and yes have trained as a shooter, instructor, and safety instuctor fro firearms and hunting in US, so yes I can say I am an Expert with a weapon!

Many people I find totally misunderstand the ownership and use of firearms but an 18-12 is for a purpose, not so much for sport eh.B) .

Actually it is used for both...

We shoot IPSC for years & out of that 3 Gun Competition was born

3 gun competition ( most commonly used )

pistol ( 9mm, 38 super or 45ACP usually race guns)

12 gauge shotgun pump or semi-auto

rifle- semi auto in .223, .308 or 7.62x39

Interesting but what I was referring to is that you cannnot buy anything shorter than 24 in UK, an 18 comes by way of the hacksaw. :D

Interesting but what I was referring to is that you cannnot buy anything shorter than 24 in UK, an 18 comes by way of the hacksaw. :D

Interesting

I knew the UK has more gun restrictions.

But I did not know that.

Pity as a 18" is a fine tactical tool.

Reminds me of a story of a friend with a Indian (US} Ex girl friend knocked on his door with a 9mm he got one round off with the 12g one of hers hit him in the left shoulder, best make sure its a semi auto :rolleyes: Sorry Im well off topic..

Not so, 18 inch shotguns are available in the UK but you will need a FAC and a reason to own. :rolleyes:

Can a farang import and or purchase something like a .22 Pre charged pneumatic air rifle ??

In short No it will be confiscated !!!

I have always owned guns and when I came to Thailand to retire, I looked into ownership.

As you say I could not have a gun license but my wife can.

When asked about airguns the guy in the shop smiled and said they do not allow them in Thailand but your wife after she has gone to the police station for papers she can purchase a Revolver, a Rifle or a Shotgun.:blink:

Edited by hedonist44