PM Yingluck's Submarine 'Mix-Up'

webfact

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original spending outlay was Bt7.7 billion, but the Navy agreed to cut the price after vetting by a panel formed by Defence Minister Yuthasak Sasiprapha.

The "navy agreed to cut the price"? .....Now that raises questions. Another slip of the tongue lets out a bit more of the truth in the pricing of these overpriced projects. Wonder whose share of the loot got cut? :whistling:

All politics made mistake, give her a break.

I believe especially US people should not criticizes too much, considering what kind of president they used to have... rolleyes.gif

Thaksin family still looks way better than Bush family if you ask me.

I am a Yank and Bush did not only look stupid but he also was below average intellect. At least she looks great and give her some slack please.

Far be it from me to defend the bafoon, but with an IQ score of 125, i don't think he was actually below average, despite appearances.

As for Yingluck looking great, all i seem to see is Thaksin in a wig. She seems to do it for some though...

Leave poor Yingluck alone, she's doing her best. I sometimes get confused too in amazing Thailand.

I'm afraid "her best" is not good enough - if a rooky goal keeper was sent on to save a penalty after the goal keeper had been sent off in a Sunday league game and failed, then fair enough. This is not acceptable however for a prime minister of a developed country though!!!

What is she going to do in the case of a plane highjacking - send in the submarines????:unsure:

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

"Four will be refurbished before being deployed in the Gulf of Thailand" Good military planning,

Does the Thai government know that the gulf of Thailand is a shallow body of water. The maximum depth of the water is 80 meters. The mean depth of the Thai gulf is only 45 meters.

Not exactly hard to find are they. Anti submarine detection system / firing solution = line of sight + pea shooter.

These are small submarines and were designed to operate during the cold war in the Baltic Sea which is similarly shallow at an average depth of 55 meters.

A 'white elephant' is a white elephant, regardless of whether it's an underwater or a flying one, then again white elephants are considered to bring the country good fortune, here in Amazing Thailand !

Have you ever seen an elephant fly???? The submarine type that is :lol:.

Leave poor Yingluck alone, she's doing her best. I sometimes get confused too in amazing Thailand.

I'm afraid "her best" is not good enough - if a rooky goal keeper was sent on to save a penalty after the goal keeper had been sent off in a Sunday league game and failed, then fair enough. This is not acceptable however for a prime minister of a developed country though!!!

What is she going to do in the case of a plane highjacking - send in the submarines????:unsure:

".......prime minister of a developed country" ?????

The original spending outlay was Bt7.7 billion, but the Navy agreed to cut the price after vetting by a panel formed by Defence Minister Yuthasak Sasiprapha.

The "navy agreed to cut the price"? .....Now that raises questions. Another slip of the tongue lets out a bit more of the truth in the pricing of these overpriced projects. Wonder whose share of the loot got cut? :whistling:

I just hope Germany will get the payment in full before the transfer of hardware, or at least plan on waiting long term for more Thai aircraft to land in the motherland.

All politics made mistake, give her a break.

I believe especially US people should not criticizes too much, considering what kind of president they used to have... rolleyes.gif

Thaksin family still looks way better than Bush family if you ask me.

You are behind the times. You should try living and working in the US with the current president.

"Four will be refurbished before being deployed in the Gulf of Thailand" Good military planning,

Does the Thai government know that the gulf of Thailand is a shallow body of water. The maximum depth of the water is 80 meters. The mean depth of the Thai gulf is only 45 meters.

Not exactly hard to find are they. Anti submarine detection system / firing solution = line of sight + pea shooter.

These are small submarines and were designed to operate during the cold war in the Baltic Sea which is similarly shallow at an average depth of 55 meters.

"Designed to operate during the Cold WAR" The Baltic sea was surrounded by many countries, some under the Soviet Union. The Gulf of Thailand is hardly in the same category. Helicopters for use on the Chakri Narubet (the world's smallest aircraft carrier-I believe),would be more useful. But that would make sense.

Why would Thailand even want 6 submarines? To protect from whom?

Australia only has 6 U-boats, but only a maximum of 4 are on active duty at any one time.

How is that relevant for Thailand?

Australia does not have neighbors like Burma or Cambodia.

My point was that Australia has a massive coastline to protect and it only has 6 submarines in total.

Thailand has a shallow gulf of an average depth of 45 meters and wants 6 submarines. For what?

Cambodia and Burma do not have subs. Your point is mute.

Had you had said Vietnam however...

".......prime minister of a developed country" ?????

So they say!!! I sometimes wonder too!!!

Those small submarines were designed with specific purposes in countering enemies in the Baltic. Any kind of submersible is built accordingly to complement an operational task force or battle group. These submarines are being purchased for general fleet reasons for god knows what daily purpose. Thailand's neighbors are mostly a joke and against any real modern opponent in Asia (ie. Malaysia, Singapore) that submarine fleet would be instant scrap.

"Designed to operate during the Cold WAR" The Baltic sea was surrounded by many countries, some under the Soviet Union. The Gulf of Thailand is hardly in the same category. Helicopters for use on the Chakri Narubet (the world's smallest aircraft carrier-I believe),would be more useful. But that would make sense.

They have helicopters for the carrier (even used them to rescue a bunch of farang on Ko Tao earlier this year) and took delivery of 2 (of 6 ordered) new ones from the US last month.

Edited by DP25

Well if you were interested in a bargaining chip against Hun Sen in the coming 'Big Oil Deal', having some machines that can go underwater and 'discretely' sabotage the other sides drilling systems and well caps, thus making your haulage larger while they must retool, is a pretty big game changer.

If it ALSO brings one of the forks of the military over to your side, that is also a big chip to have in your stack. Real Politique in the age of waning fuel resources.

It may well be the sub deal has been OK'd...

but not in THAT meeting.... and NOT for public consumption... yet.

So many lies to keep track of, so little time.

Edited by animatic

Seems lie like the current administration has stepped up their game in purchasing war weapons instead of unused firetrucks.

Must be more profit in it for the deal makers.

It may be an inconvenient truth, but both the helicopter and submarine purchases were initiated by the prevous Democrat Government (I'm not 100% sure about the helicopters - there seem to be 2 batches in the discussion)

As for her gaff ... I would have hoped for better, but everyone makes mistakes. The current Australian Foreign Minister just refered to himself as "Prime Minister". :whistling:

Why would Thailand even want 6 submarines? To protect from whom?

Australia only has 6 U-boats, but only a maximum of 4 are on active duty at any one time.

How is that relevant for Thailand?

Australia does not have neighbors like Burma or Cambodia.

Australia has a neighbour called Indonesia, and it is no coincidence most of of our military is based in the North and West, as neither kiwis or penguins are considered dangerous.

The only way to re-supply an invasion of Australia is by sea, hence the submarines. If Burma or Cambodia decided in their insanity to launch an invasion of Thailand, they both have considerable land borders across which to do so.

You may also remember some time back that royal approval was given for a fleet of patrol boats, and on paper they looked pretty good. Strangely enough, somewhere between approval and ordering, the specs for size,deck gun, range and stores capacity was reduced markedly, probably to fit what the seller with the best kick-back deal had on offer.

All spot on, of course.

And indeed it would be insanity for the Burmese or Cambodians to attack Thailand and if for no other reason than the same reason Thailand doesn't need a powerful Navy...the country that happens to have the world's most powerful navy but also a powerful air force and land based forces (and its allies), and a country that has long had and continues to have strong ties militarily isn't likely to stand by and let that happen...

A 'white elephant' is a white elephant, regardless of whether it's an underwater or a flying one, then again white elephants are considered to bring the country good fortune, here in Amazing Thailand !

No, but I've seen a horse-fly, and ah seen a house-fly ! :lol: Cue for a song ... B)

No, but I've seen a horse-fly, and ah seen a house-fly ! :lol: Cue for a song ... B)

Oh, go on then................

Mildly amusing but not exactly in the same category of amazing as when Suthep and his buddies forgot the military had used live rounds

What do you expect them to use when a bunch of red shirt lunatics are shooting at them and throwing Red Bull bottle bombs?

I have a better idea as to how that money can be used.

First, set up an independent body of top investigators - which means foreigners, since no Thai really qualifies - to investigate the "unusual wealth" of every Thai General, both active and retired, both Military and Police, with the power to subpoena, arrest, and try anyone found guilty, along with the power to confiscate their ill gotten gains and sell at public auctions. Then take the billions that would be raked in and use it to upgrade the deplorable Thai education system.

Now that, to me, would be of a benefit to all, and not just a few elites and generals who want to add even more to their bank accounts by purchasing 6 out of date subs that, within 5 years, will be collecting rust, or sitting on the ocean floor as new coral reefs.

After the public humiliation and stripping of all their ill gotten assets I suggest they be put to work crewing these useless submarines. We may never hear of them again. Prospective C.O.'s for the boats would include Mr. Magoo. the famous Eccles (aided by Bluebottle) and Neddie Seagoon.

Mildly amusing but not exactly in the same category of amazing as when Suthep and his buddies forgot the military had used live rounds

What do you expect them to use when a bunch of red shirt lunatics are shooting at them and throwing Red Bull bottle bombs?

Hammered and Bob.... Up a tree....

Hammered and Bob.... Up a tree....

K I S S I.....

But to toe the line on all new Thai educational proposals to sort out all ills....

post-15958-0-69355200-1317324620_thumb.j

Get a loom.