Bangkok Remains Safe, Floods Worsen In 10 Provinces Along Chao Phraya

webfact

NATURAL DISASTER

Wall set up to protect Pathum Thani

The Nation

30166512-01.jpg

Bangkok remains safe, floods worsen in 10 provinces along Chao Phraya

Officials in Bangkok's Don Muang district yesterday rushed to build a sandbag embankment in Pathum Thani once a major canal showed signs of overflowing.

The structure will not just help locals but will also protect the capital from flooding because Don Muang borders Pathum Thani. The Rangsit Prayoonsak Canal flows through Bangkok before emptying into the Chao Phraya River.

"About 40 officials from Don Muang are here to help. We have 60 soldiers on duty as well," Sompong Srianan, mayor of Pathum Thani Muang district's tambon Lak Hok Municipality, said.

He explained that the embankment along the rising Rangsit Prayoonsak Canal would allow locals to lead their lives as normal. Upstream runoffs are heading towards the Chao Phraya Basin, inundating many provinces along the way.

"Flooding caused by overflowing water has worsened in 10 provinces along the Chao Phraya River," Interior Ministry permanentsecretary Phranai Suwannarat said.

Bangkok remained safe as of press time, but some of its adjacent provinces like Pathum Thani and Nonthaburi were already submerged.

According to the Emergency Operations Centre for Floods, Storms and Landslides, 23 provinces have been ravaged by floods, with as many as 122 roads impassable. In Nakhon Sawan, nearly 30 centimetres of water covered a long stretch of the Nakhon SawanPhitsanulok Road yesterday, prompting traffic police to close it to traffic.

So far, the floodrelated death toll has risen to 180, with two people reported missing.

Wiboon Sanguanpong, directorgeneral of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, warned that continued downpours, flash floods and landslides might hit some spots in 43 provinces in the next few days.

"Keep abreast of weather forecasts and warnings," he warned.

Information and Communications Technology Minister Group Captain Anudith Nakornthap said all relevant agencies would focus on early warning and disaster prevention round the clock. "Warnings will reach people in risky areas very fast," he said.

He has also called on the three main mobilephone service providers, namely Advanced Info Service (AIS), Total Access Communication (DTAC) and True Corporation, to keep people updated via free text messages. The minister has been given the job of overseeing flood operations in Uthai Thani.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday signed an order requiring other ministers to oversee floodrelief operations in 12 provinces.

Natural Resources and Environment Minister Preecha Rengsomboonsuk and Deputy Finance Minister Boonsong Teriyaphirom were assigned Chiang Mai. PM's Office Minister Surawit Khonsomboon has been tasked with overseeing Phetchabun and Energy Minister Pichai Naripthaphan was assigned Phitsanulok. Deputy Commerce Minister Siriwat Kachornprasart has been assigned Phichit; Social Development and Human Security Minister Santi Promphat Phichit; Labour Minister Pol General Phadermchai Sasomsap tasked with Phichit; and Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut given Chai Nat.

Deputy Transport Minister Pol LtGeneral Chatt Kuldiloke will oversee Sing Buri; PM's Office Minister Kritsana Seehalak Angthong; Finance Minister Thirachai Phuvanatnaranubala and Deputy Public Health Minister Torpong Chaiyasarn were assigned Lop Buri. Public Health Minister Witthaya Buranasiri will oversee flood operations in Ayutthaya.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-30

Note: I am so far the only one who has even acknowledged this news item, which was posted 37 minutes prior to the "Dirty dancing" article. , whilst that "Dirty Dancing" thread has already run into several pages. Pathetic indictment of why the majority of farangs are in Thailand? Or is it just the sort of creeps who lurk in this forum?

Thanks at least to admin for the info.

Note: I am so far the only one who has even acknowledged this news item, which was posted 37 minutes prior to the "Dirty dancing" article. , whilst that "Dirty Dancing" thread has already run into several pages. Pathetic indictment of why the majority of farangs are in Thailand? Or is it just the sort of creeps who lurk in this forum?

Here is a current map mate,

My link

I am in Vietnam and we are being battered by a hurricane. Everyone was sent home early from work because they say it's going to be a big one. I just hope that it does not make it's way across to Thailand from here as they have enough problems already.

My link

Thank you !

Edited by metisdead
Thai script removed, this is an English language forum, English is the only acceptable language, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

Having a bad day, are we?

Yeah, go ahead and indict me.

Everybody who knows anything about Thailand knows WHY there is so much flooding and WHY damage wasn't minimized.

It's more of the same piled higher and deeper so better to chat about Nong Ja.

It's just a local version of the FEMA fiasco.

Edited by Scott

Is there an online map anywhere? ... showing affected areas? areas of high risk etc? Thanks for any tips.

(I'm out of the country at the moment)

There was a pretty good map on the Nation's front page a few days ago. Basically showed all but half a dozen provinces* coloured red indicating the wet ones. All you need to know really. Pity that the Nation's website doesn't carry the graphics from the print news article.

The 'dry' provinces were in a string basically running north-south from Kanchanburi; that 'backbone' of the Land of (Wet) Smiles

My link

Current my arse! That was back in March and focuses on the unseasonal deluge in the southern provinces. The current flood hysteria is about the run-off from the seasonal rains from the north and north east.

So the article was misleading as it's title was. You got out of the wrong side today?

Thailand flooding: Sept. 2011

My link

Current my arse! That was back in March and focuses on the unseasonal deluge in the southern provinces. The current flood hysteria is about the run-off from the seasonal rains from the north and north east.

So the article was misleading as it's title was. You got out of the wrong side today?

Thailand flooding: Sept. 2011

NOW you have posted the correct link. Nice one!

I did have to get out of the bottom side of the bed earlier as the 2 sleepovers from Mandarin wouldn't budge! A better breakfast sandwich than anything Burger King dispenses IMHO.

My link

In defense of bangkokrick, there was a map but not on that page, had to go select another link on the page... below

post-54111-0-44851900-1317468201_thumb.j

A very good interactive map is here courtesy of the ESRI website. If you go to their homepage, it's the map under the Showcase on the right.

Once it loads, just tweak the time-scale selector on top left and watch the blue spots spread like a rash throughout the country. I zoomed in on the farm and it's pretty accurate as shows the correct extents of flooding on the access road.

Flooding worsening.

Every time someone builds a wall to protect their area the water is diverted normally to an area populated with those of lesser means.

Thailand needs to learn you cannot stop natures strength.

The Chinese ruined the forests that soaked up historical water saturation with cutting down and making low laying rice fields for the locals to farm at a pittance.

The Chinese developers turned Bangkok into a concrete jungles that no natural water path can follow.

The Chinese altering the way the The Three Gorges dam spans the Yangtze River who knows whats that doing.

Do you know who I blame.

Flooding worsening.

Every time someone builds a wall to protect their area the water is diverted normally to an area populated with those of lesser means.

The Chinese ruined the forests that soaked up historical water saturation with cutting down and making low laying rice fields for the locals to farm at a pittance.

The Chinese developers turned Bangkok into a concrete jungles that no natural water path can follow.

The Chinese altering the way the The Three Gorges dam spans the Yangtze River who knows whats that doing.

Do you know who I blame.

Woohooooo!!!! You mean it's NOT Thaksin's fault?

His family origins.

Flooding worsening.

Do you know who I blame.

My link

In defense of bangkokrick, there was a map but not on that page, had to go select another link on the page... below

post-54111-0-44851900-1317468201_thumb.j

Thanks mate,

Flooding worsening.

Do you know who I blame.

His family origins.

Facile rejoinder to puerile off-topic post deleted.

Edited by NanLaew