Electric Bill

I just moved into a condo last month, and its time to pay my first bill... we asked a few friends and everyone told us that the electric bill comes to around 1000baht a month, although im sure unlike us they are using aircon. We have an aircon unit and have barely turned it on for the whole month, maybe 3 nights we used it on minimum setting but the bill came at 1500baht. We were also away for 1 week on holiday... Does this seem a little high to anyone? It also said on the bill that electric was 8 baht not 7.... And we found out we have to pay 500 for internet which we were never told about...

The reason I want to ask someone else before bringing it up with the management is because this woman is quite simply a b!@#&. I know her type and she will become defensive and just start to argue no matter how politely I put it. So I wanna get my facts straight before I cause any more problems with her.

Thanks

Noz

1000 baht a month

1 a/c 7 night a week

1 lappie 24/7

1 fridge

Pay directly to PEA.

Where do you need to pay your bill ? Do you pay to the condo management ? How does the electrical bill looks like ?

Edited by ShopBoy

Doesn't seem very high for a condo, but you should still be allowed to know what you are paying for. Regardless of how nice/mean this lady is, your contract should determine what you should be paying. Be nice, but push for what you deserve. Good Luck!

Edited by CMSteve

I always double checked the meter with the Condo representative, to make sure the number tallied up on the bill, used to do with the water as well.

Don't bother now as have two rooms, two meters and still under 900 baht a month, with Aircon everynight, computer on 24/7, occasion use of the microwave, TV on most nights and Home theatre some nights, Fridge 24/7, and washing machine.

Thanks for all the info. Beano how much do you pay per unit? I heard that the REAL price is 4.8 or something per unit, so they are over charging for that. They told me 7 per unit in the begginning but we dont have any contract at all, jsut pay the monthly. which is good if we want to just leave some time but i dont think they would care if we did because the place is pretty sweet for its price.

As for the meter, I did check in the begginning as the lady had to check anyway and i asked her to write it down and sign it, but to check again the meter is behind a huge bookshelf she had to pull out. Like I said, if i question her she is the type to get angry and as we have no contract can just kick us out...

Anyway the bill said 194*8 total 1,552baht.

We used the aircon about 3 or 4 nights in the month and always on a VERY low setting. Maybe total less than 50 hours in a month aircon, laptop 12 hours a day.

Thanks for all the info. Beano how much do you pay per unit? I heard that the REAL price is 4.8 or something per unit, so they are over charging for that. They told me 7 per unit in the begginning but we dont have any contract at all, jsut pay the monthly. which is good if we want to just leave some time but i dont think they would care if we did because the place is pretty sweet for its price.

As for the meter, I did check in the begginning as the lady had to check anyway and i asked her to write it down and sign it, but to check again the meter is behind a huge bookshelf she had to pull out. Like I said, if i question her she is the type to get angry and as we have no contract can just kick us out...

We used the aircon about 3 or 4 nights in the month and always on a VERY low setting. Maybe total less than 50 hours in a month aircon, laptop 12 hours a day.

I pay the Government rate (under 3 baht per unit)as it is my condo, if you rent you pay what the landlord decides. If the meter is behind a big bookshelf how does she know the units used? Surely you can help her pull it out and check the readings are correct.

When was the aircon last cleaned, they use a lot when dirty

Couple of good points here... If she can move the furniture to look, so can you and should. Also, check on the state of the aircon unit. Is it old, dirty, etc? so you only have the aircon unit and a laptop? No fridge, router, phone chargers,tv's etc? If not, turn off the air and watch the meter to see if its still running. If it's still running and you have absolutely nothing else of yours plugged in, then you need to have another conversation with the landlord. Last thing to consider, is that you are on a "monthly" no contract rental, ask for too much and this may be your last month there......

I pay the Government rate (under 3 baht per unit)as it is my condo, if you rent you pay what the landlord decides. If the meter is behind a big bookshelf how does she know the units used? Surely you can help her pull it out and check the readings are correct.

When was the aircon last cleaned, they use a lot when dirty

194 units seems maybe a little high for very little use of air. I run one AC in the bedroom 7 days a week for about 10 hours per day. 2 story house, 2 refrigs, 2 TVs, electric water heater (on demand), coffee water heater, fish tank, small table top electric oven a few times a week, 2 computers - both on about 8-12 hours a day, usually 4 lights on most of the evening. My last bill was 499 units at 1776.36 baht which is around 3.5 baht/unit plus tax for total of 1868 Baht.

As mentioned though, a dirty or undercharged older AC unit can chew up the electricity pretty fast.

My bill in July - units 987 - total cost 3,892.62 - cost per unit - 3.94

-"- bill in June - units 843 - total cost 3,352.37 cost per unit 3.98

-"- bill in May - units 724 - total cost 2,782.01 cost per unit 3.84

How does the above cost of units compare with your invoices, let us know.

The condo management/owner is charging extra for electric, common practice to charge anything from 5-10 baht a unit whereas the actual bill would be at 3.5 Baht.....check your contract??? do you have one...or approach the agent you used????? or did you go direct thinking it is better....at 7-8 baht, sounds about right..fridge, shower etct etc etc..

Your bill sounds correct if your being charged 8bt per unit, if the real rates were charged it would of been about 700bt instead of the 1500bt your being charged.

Your bill sounds correct if your being charged 8bt per unit, if the real rates were charged it would of been about 700bt instead of the 1500bt your being charged.

Just checked my August bill.

194 units used in the month with no airconditioning, only fans, TV and UBC, oven and hobs,'fridge, washing machine, water heaters and a laptop computer and modem, and of course lights at night.

So OPs bill sounds OK, it's the 8 Baht per unit that's the killer.