Racism Against Blacks

BuffaloRescue

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Koh Samui, some of the hotels in Chaweng does not allow Thai's to stay there.

As I was trying to be sneaky buy getting my wife to ask for the price over the phone as she was in Bangkok and I was 10 meters from the reception. They told her its full.

I then went over and said how much and they gave me a price, I asked which rooms were available and they had plenty of them available.

I then went away and got the wifey to ring them again and they still said they were full. So since I liked the resort, I decided to stay there anyways, but didnt get to bargain them much :(

Bad apple always exist. But there are good one too.

And those good one live miserably because those bad one already create a name for themselves. And frankly, they are good in Scamming. they always have new "techniques" .

I think you will find its not just blacks.. Its indians, Arabs and a few more...

I agree on this. I tried another incident once. Buying a Replica watch from night bazaar in Patpong.

First round, I approach and ask them in Thai languge, very fluent Thai....

An Nee tau rai na kup?

Ans: 2500 Baht

After strolling another hour and went back to the same stall, he seems not recognize or remember me, i asked again

How much this watch cost?

Ans: 1500 Baht

Some Thais look down on Thais, they thought Thais cannot afford even a replica watch!

In Koh Samui, some of the hotels in Chaweng does not allow Thai's to stay there.

As I was trying to be sneaky buy getting my wife to ask for the price over the phone as she was in Bangkok and I was 10 meters from the reception. They told her its full.

I then went over and said how much and they gave me a price, I asked which rooms were available and they had plenty of them available.

I then went away and got the wifey to ring them again and they still said they were full. So since I liked the resort, I decided to stay there anyways, but didnt get to bargain them much :(

Oh,

And in Sydney, some nightclubs ask there bouncers not to let Asian or Arabs in.

I was in Germany and was not allowed into a club too, foreigners were not welcome in that particular club.

It happens everywhere.

I've seen that in Seoul. Clubs with signs all in Korean except the words "No Foreigner"

To be honest, there are nightclubs in some US cities like Atlanta where non-blacks are definitely not welcome. I don't consider that kind of thing serious racism of the kind that keeps people out of jobs, housing, education, health care, etc. But it is not nice either.

Edited by Jingthing

So, we've concluded that racism, prejudice, banal xenophobia, and hardened bias exist the world over....historically to present day. It is what it is and will never vanish in a proposed warm and feel-good model.

Ever redundant.:rolleyes:

I feel sorry for the poor man. The only people who should not be welcomed anywhere in Thailand are the many undesirable, whingeing Farangs. The only reason why the locals put up with these moaners is that they just think of them as profitable cash cows.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

the watch costs them like 200 baht they probably just give random answers depending on how many they have sold, how much they have had to drink... why would they ask for less if you are Thai? A thai is more likely to know the real cost.

I agree on this. I tried another incident once. Buying a Replica watch from night bazaar in Patpong.

An Nee tau rai na kup?

After strolling another hour and went back to the same stall, he seems not recognize or remember me, i asked again

Some Thais look down on Thais, they thought Thais cannot afford even a replica watch!

I get the impression that "blacks" are not really top of the pops here. Its not so much whats said as the look and mannerisms. Blacks when I observe more means those from Africa and the more it seems to hover over Nigeria as the centre ( land of scammers perhaps?). Its a bit like everyone from outside Thailand is a farang, then everybody who is black comes from Nigeria, if you get my drift. Similarly I also get the impression that Japanese are not high up the ladder, this probably a hand down, with no explanation, from a time in the middle of the last century. Chinese and Indians hardly welcomed with open arms and its not just race I get the same with muslims, money for trade is ok, mixing or having things in common with them, just not done.

I used to live on Soi Saladaeng 1 and liked a restaurant on Suriwong. To get there, I walked Soi Thania. Why? Because I could walk there quickly without fighting crowds and touts seeking my service. As I wasn't Asian, particularly Japanese, Korean, or Chinese, I wasn't allowed in the bars there and was of no interest to anyone. I was a little upset at the discrimination, but as I didn't even want to go in them, I just took advantage of the free and easy passage.

And from days long past, Thermae used to be a place full of westerners. I went in a few months back to use the facilities, and over the last 5 or 6 years since i had been on there last, the place had sure changed. The clientele was almost exclusively eastern Asian. So I do think eastern Asians are "high up on the ladder" here.I do know that Koreans now are pretty popular in all aspect of life. K-Pop stars play here regularly before full houses when western bands rarely sell out.

so did those korean men in the thermae resemble boy band members? :lol:

Some places in the UK you are a racist if you ask for a black coffee these days ??

Political correctness gone mad!

lol

I also heard the teachers were not allowed to make kids run long distances because its considered physical torture. lol But not sure how true that is.

They jack up the price a Thai ask because they think Thai is asking for fun, got no intention or ability to buy even a replica. That's why I said, some Thais look down on Thais!

the watch costs them like 200 baht they probably just give random answers depending on how many they have sold, how much they have had to drink... why would they ask for less if you are Thai? A thai is more likely to know the real cost.

An Nee tau rai na kup?

Some places in the UK you are a racist if you ask for a black coffee these days ??

Political correctness gone mad!

lol

I also heard the teachers were not allowed to make kids run long distances because its considered physical torture. lol But not sure how true that is.

Probably as true as the post saying "Some places in the UK you are a racist if you ask for a black coffee these days ??" :rolleyes:

I got chatting to a Kenyan chap at Suvarnabhumi the other week. He claimed to have never been a victim of racism on his numerous trips to Thailand. Is it not just a lower Sukhumvit problem because of some of the `characters` who hang around there?

I got chatting to a Kenyan chap at Suvarnabhumi the other week. He claimed to have never been a victim of racism on his numerous trips to Thailand. Is it not just a lower Sukhumvit problem because of some of the `characters` who hang around there?

Being an African myself, cant say I have ever experienced any form of racism directed at me in Thailand in the 10 years I have been here

Edited by Soutpeel

Being an African myself, cant say I have ever experienced any form of racism directed at me in Thailand in the 10 years I have been here

Honestly, as a group, I can't say I've ever seen any African-Americans in Thailand misbehaving, or as the Brits would say, acting like an "arse." I realize that there isn't that many African-Americans in Thailand to begin with. But I've had friends from the states who are African-Americans visit (and several who live here) and we've never had a problem going anywhere in Thailand.

Now the Nigerians, particularly as folks have mentioned hanging out in lower Sukhumvit, I really wouldn't know much about. Don't hang out there.

A 'broad brush' statement and no doubt provocative to the PC crowd but the recent roundup and deportation of Suk 11 Africans comprised mainly of Nigerians on fake S African passports, this being quite a typical example of the Nigerian abroad, and repeated the world over

People are not born racists but they do react to behaviour patterns and their experience in life..............So IMHO Africans could be black, white, yellow or green, but until they do something to improve their image they will always be at risk of discrimination

A 'broad brush' statement and no doubt provocative to the PC crowd but the recent roundup and deportation of Suk 11 Africans comprised mainly of Nigerians on fake S African passports, this being quite a typical example of the Nigerian abroad, and repeated the world over

People are not born racists but they do react to behaviour patterns and their experience in life..............So IMHO Africans could be black, white, yellow or green, but until they do something to improve their image they will always be at risk of discrimination

Which Africans are you talking about? Africa starts in the Mediterranean and finishes in the Roaring Forties. The distance from Morocco to Cape Town is 8000km. Are you talking about Tunisians or those folks from Egypt or the Jaapies or people like Baaba Mal from Senegal? Or do you just mean the blecks?

Which Africans are you talking about? Africa starts in the Mediterranean and finishes in the Roaring Forties. The distance from Morocco to Cape Town is 8000km. Are you talking about Tunisians or those folks from Egypt or the Jaapies or people like Baaba Mal from Senegal? Or do you just mean the blecks?

I did qualify my statement by saying "Broad Brush"

But to answer your question about which Africans I'm refer to.............At the present time on the African continent:

Libya & Gadaffi - Emerging from 40 + years of misrule from a man who aspired to lead the African Continent

The Horn of Africa with famine, war and terrorist activity needs aid again & again & again

Nigeria with the constant corruption and export of crime and scams worlwide

S Africa with a president who does not believe HIV exists, declining standards of living and increasing corruption

Mugabe heads a nation that previously had large agriculture exports.....Now a basket case of corruption & misrule

And so on

The largest single number of nations that are considered by the rest of the world to warrant special visa conditions orriginate in Africa. Is that considered racist by the PC crowd or is it a reflection of facts

Racism is a term created in the west, ethnicity is more of the problem when things like this arise, hey we are all scared of things that are foreign to us. Do dark skinned people of whatever shade of darkness experience discrimination in thailand ? Hell yes they do, why do you think you can not find any skin or cosmetic products here without whitener in them ? how many dark skinned people do you see on thai tv shows or print ads ? kinda tells the story right there. Living in issan it never ceases to amaze me how people here who are mostly dark skinned look down upon those with darker skin than their own, they wont even go out in the sun for fear of getting black skin. Dont worry though this is a common trait amongst all asian countries it seems. Its too bad people from all countries cant just judge a person by their personality and actions.

Racism is a term created in the west, ethnicity is more of the problem when things like this arise, hey we are all scared of things that are foreign to us. Do dark skinned people of whatever shade of darkness experience discrimination in thailand ? Hell yes they do, why do you think you can not find any skin or cosmetic products here without whitener in them ? how many dark skinned people do you see on thai tv shows or print ads ? kinda tells the story right there. Living in issan it never ceases to amaze me how people here who are mostly dark skinned look down upon those with darker skin than their own, they wont even go out in the sun for fear of getting black skin. Dont worry though this is a common trait amongst all asian countries it seems. Its too bad people from all countries cant just judge a person by their personality and actions.

I agree that using the term "racism" in Thailand with respect to skin color is misleading. It's definitely not the same here in Thailand as it is in the US. People are not being refused housing or employment based on skin color. Crosses are not being burned on someone's lawn based on skin color. Gangs of young toughs are not going around beating up people based on skin color.

As a wise Thai told me once, dark skin in Thailand is very similar to being obese in America. It's an attractiveness thing, and it's more pronounced with women than men. A dark skin guy can get away with it more than a dark skin woman, much like a fat guy can go through life better in the US than a fat woman. There are all sorts of dark skin Thai men in positions of power in this country, obviously. Power and wealth are more important traits for a man than mere skin color. But for a woman, it's pretty darn important to be physically attractive, so skin color does matter to a degree.

Sadly prejudice based on race happens everywhere. Try being an Asian female in the Middle East where you are abused by Arabs as well as other asians and many Africans.

We base our prejudices on anything that makes us 'different'

Oh, shut it big-nose

Who you callling big-nose......

Only when all our 'noses' are a uniform size will prejudice end :lol: