Racism Against Blacks

BuffaloRescue

I was out in Bangers last night and met a black dude from the states. Spent an hour or so drinking together, really nice guy. clean cut, had his own business etc. Big smiles, friendly to everyone etc. I met him on one of the bars in Sukhumvit, admittedly in an area where there are many black african pimps and drug dealers.

In one bar, none of the girls would talk to him And in the next he was kicked out before we even got to order a drink. He didnt do anything wrong, just a normal joe out on holiday for a good time. Pretty shocking really

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, and I am not defending it, this is most likely a direct consequence of the African scammers who began to bother bar patrons. This is a direct slap in the face of honest Africans and blacks from all other countries, but from reading older threads here, patrons are demanding that the scammers be kept out of the bars.

How do you know he never had a track record ( bad ) at the bar you he got asked to leave? Normally these places will take money of any paying customer even if they don't like the race they are...

Nationalities liked are Koreans, Japs etc - it's all about the $$$$$$

JH

BR , what is shocking, that the world in general is racist, or that Thailand reflects what most peoples in the world think. Or that other peoples don't follow western PC ideas. Just because we are superior in our morals and enlightenment and treat all as equals, doesn't mean that the rest of the world has to follow . Jim

How do you know he never had a track record ( bad ) at the bar you he got asked to leave? Normally these places will take money of any paying customer even if they don't like the race they are...

Nationalities liked are Koreans, Japs etc - it's all about the $$$

JH

His first time in Thailand hadnt even figured out the colours of bank notes, exchange rates etc.. been here a couple of days

BR , what is shocking, that the world in general is racist, or that Thailand reflects what most peoples in the world think. Or that other peoples don't follow western PC ideas. Just because we are superior in our morals and enlightenment and treat all as equals, doesn't mean that the rest of the world has to follow . Jim

Who is we, Jim?

Superior morals and heightened enlightenment?:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Unfortunately, and I am not defending it, this is most likely a direct consequence of the African scammers who began to bother bar patrons. This is a direct slap in the face of honest Africans and blacks from all other countries, but from reading older threads here, patrons are demanding that the scammers be kept out of the bars.

Well there is at least one bar in the middle of this perfect storm, no need to mention its name, it wasnt the patrons but the owners that demanded the scammers be kept out, was a time the patrons were nowhere to be seen.

Before the PC brigade get on their high horse, the bars owner is a wealthy Thai.

Well there is at least one bar in the middle of this perfect storm, no need to mention its name, it wasnt the patrons but the owners that demanded the scammers be kept out, was a time the patrons were nowhere to be seen.

Before the PC brigade get on their high horse, the bars owner is a wealthy Thai.

Don't know if this is one of the bars, but in the previous thread of 6 or 7 months ago, it related that the patrons told the bar owners that if they didn't keep the scammers out, they would go somewhere else. So the bar owners made the rules and the African scammers were banned, but as people don't have a scarlet "S" tattooed on their foreheads, it turned out to be all blacks would be refused service.

Nationalities liked are Koreans, Japs etc - it's all about the $$

JH

His first time in Thailand hadnt even figured out the colours of bank notes, exchange rates etc.. been here a couple of days

That's rough then. The establishment must have had bad experiences with the same assumed race previously and tarred all of that race with the same brush, maybe......

JH

There can be no reasonable dispute that --like virtually anywhere -- there is racism in this country (though I would argue it manifests itself in relatively benign ways for the most part and is rarely accompanied with any real malice). And it is an absolute fact that there was a time when African Americans were at times a victim of it in some ways (and this was when Africans weren't here in the numbers that they are now).

But I have seen over the years -- with a general trend towards modernization/westernization and the influence of cultural trends and icons like Eddie Murphy, Michael Jackson, Will Smith, Hip Hop etc -- a FAR wider incidence of Black men not only not being discriminated against but even sometimes favored. And even 28 years ago my best buddy in Bangkok was a Black American who'd bee here since the Vietnam War and knew everyone in every bar and was well like by all. Does this prove there was no racism? No, obviously not. But I think things have only gotten better since then.

So what I am trying to get at in a rambling and disorganized fashion is that I think there is a strong possibility that it is about where he was and the prevalence of the dodgy Africans in that area. (I have a friend now who says he must be the only honest Nigerian in Thailand -- and he couldn't be a more ethical and decent -- and he suffers as a result of what his countrymen do here).

Now Thai racism against Indians on the other hand (even those of Thai nationality)...don't get me started...

He probably was the nicest guy in the world, however as they say what goes around, comes around. Just like Pattaya scammers are out of control on many issues, it has reflected on the entire City and it's occupants. A well as the Muslims, many who are as normal and nice and law abiding as anyone, but the actions of the radicals ruin it for the entire race. Far from a perfect world and getting worse.

He probably was the nicest guy in the world, however as they say what goes around, comes around. Just like Pattaya scammers are out of control on many issues, it has reflected on the entire City and it's occupants. A well as the Muslims, many who are as normal and nice and law abiding as anyone, but the actions of the radicals ruin it for the entire race. Far from a perfect world and getting worse.

I guess it just depends where you are looking

Surely it's not as bad as the USA - don't they have the KKK there still?

His parents would have been subjected to apartheid and his great-grandparents slavery.

He should maybe be happy the way the world has evolved although Thailand is a few years behind the west.

OP.....Try bar-hopping on Soi-Cowboy with a Thai national sometime. My wifes BIL, clean cut,sober and a RTAF officer was

not allowed in many places. Because why I asked. He's a Thai they said. :shock1:

That's always been the case. It used to freak me out when I first came to Thailand but I know from having discussed it with Thai bar owners and such that there's reasons for that (that obviously have nothing to do with racism), among them:

• It has the potential to make Farang punters uncomfortable to feel they have to compete with a Thai guy -- it's supposed to be their world where Thai girls only want Farangs. If they came in and their were a bunch of Thais in there, that experience wouldn't be the same (or so it is believed and I thik there is some truth to that.)

• It ensures that no Thai boyfriends get in.

• Thai guys are known to get aggressive when drunk.

• Thai guys would potentially dislike being rejected in favor of a Farang.

And so on. In short it's about economics and reducing the potential for trouble (which is alos about economics, isn't it?).

Who is we, Jim?

Superior morals and heightened enlightenment?:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

"We superior"?? If you're unlucky to look Eastern European / Ex-Jugoslavia... don't try to get into night clubs in Zurich... if you're "unlucky" to be African-American, don't come near some night clubs in Geneva or you might get shot...

OP.....Try bar-hopping on Soi-Cowboy with a Thai national sometime. My wifes BIL, clean cut,sober and a RTAF officer was

not allowed in many places. Because why I asked. He's a Thai they said.

Well taking the mrs and BIL to hooker bars for a night out says a lot anyway :). laugh.gif

Been in that soi many times with Thai work colleagues after work never had a issue or refused entry to any of the establishments.

Edited by negreanu

Just because we are superior in our morals and enlightenment and treat all as equals, doesn't mean that the rest of the world has to follow . Jim

If Muang Thai want/expect the 'quality' tourist, I'm afraid they do.

I get the impression that "blacks" are not really top of the pops here. Its not so much whats said as the look and mannerisms. Blacks when I observe more means those from Africa and the more it seems to hover over Nigeria as the centre ( land of scammers perhaps?). Its a bit like everyone from outside Thailand is a farang, then everybody who is black comes from Nigeria, if you get my drift. Similarly I also get the impression that Japanese are not high up the ladder, this probably a hand down, with no explanation, from a time in the middle of the last century. Chinese and Indians hardly welcomed with open arms and its not just race I get the same with muslims, money for trade is ok, mixing or having things in common with them, just not done.

Edited by nong38

I get the impression that "blacks" are not really top of the pops here. Its not so much whats said as the look and mannerisms. Blacks when I observe more means those from Africa and the more it seems to hover over Nigeria as the centre ( land of scammers perhaps?). Its a bit like everyone from outside Thailand is a farang, then everybody who is black comes from Nigeria, if you get my drift. Similarly I also get the impression that Japanese are not high up the ladder, this probably a hand down, with no explanation, from a time in the middle of the last century. Chinese and Indians hardly welcomed with open arms and its not just race I get the same with muslims, money for trade is ok, mixing or having things in common with them, just not done.

I used to live on Soi Saladaeng 1 and liked a restaurant on Suriwong. To get there, I walked Soi Thania. Why? Because I could walk there quickly without fighting crowds and touts seeking my service. As I wasn't Asian, particularly Japanese, Korean, or Chinese, I wasn't allowed in the bars there and was of no interest to anyone. I was a little upset at the discrimination, but as I didn't even want to go in them, I just took advantage of the free and easy passage.

And from days long past, Thermae used to be a place full of westerners. I went in a few months back to use the facilities, and over the last 5 or 6 years since i had been on there last, the place had sure changed. The clientele was almost exclusively eastern Asian. So I do think eastern Asians are "high up on the ladder" here.I do know that Koreans now are pretty popular in all aspect of life. K-Pop stars play here regularly before full houses when western bands rarely sell out.

i do remember a few shops in Soi Bangla in Phuket where they sold gifts ect all had massive signs saying ' NO ARABS ALLOWED ' , i ask the girl why? , she said as they always picked things up, where rude, and wanted the product for nothing ! , she said they where all the same, so better to ban them all...

but in her defence , if you are ever in mbk , they dont have banter alot !,

I used to live on Soi Saladaeng 1 and liked a restaurant on Suriwong. To get there, I walked Soi Thania. Why? Because I could walk there quickly without fighting crowds and touts seeking my service. As I wasn't Asian, particularly Japanese, Korean, or Chinese, I wasn't allowed in the bars there and was of no interest to anyone. I was a little upset at the discrimination, but as I didn't even want to go in them, I just took advantage of the free and easy passage.

And from days long past, Thermae used to be a place full of westerners. I went in a few months back to use the facilities, and over the last 5 or 6 years since i had been on there last, the place had sure changed. The clientele was almost exclusively eastern Asian. So I do think eastern Asians are "high up on the ladder" here.I do know that Koreans now are pretty popular in all aspect of life. K-Pop stars play here regularly before full houses when western bands rarely sell out.

I would suggest that koreans were well thought of is because they have fair skins, just like most Thais on TV here, if you are a dark Thais you invariably are the villan if you have not worked out the plot so far.