A Word Of Caution

McGarty

Further to a topic of mine in Pattaya Forum I feel it might be worthwhile making a post here.

The SCB ATM machine ate my card and I have been offered it back but the damage has already been done.

I have (had) a Visa debit card but because I lost and subsequently cancelled it I am unable to get access to online banking. To access my online banking I need the number off my Visa card. I need the last 4 digits first of all and with Pin Sentry security where you enter your card number into a small machine that then gives you a code, I need that code too. Without them I cannot transfer money to my bank account here in Thailand.

Obviously without my Visa debit card I cannot withdraw funds from the ATM either.

The upshot of it all is that you should make a note somewhere of your card details. In the event of finding yourself in my situation you could then access your account before you cancel the card and transfer funds in needs be.

Circumstances dictate that I have very little funds here in Thailand at the moment and that is also a mistake. On the other hand I am lucky that my Landlord is OK about waiting for his rent due on the 1st. I have friends willing to lend me money to purchase essentials. And a son at home who can DHL my new card to me the same day it arrives at my home address. In a week to 10 days I can have a new card in my hand.

SCB bank have told me I can have my card back today but that is too late after they initially told me the ATM machine did not have my card inside then 9 hours later told me they had looked in the wrong ATM machine initially. Once a card is cancelled it cannot be un-cancelled.

Some might say, Why did you not do this, this and this, but this topic is really about making sure you have your card details noted, not about the mistakes I made and maybe you will not have the same problems:)

Writing down card details might work for your e-banking system, but not for all... when I access my home e-banking, I need a CAP reader to put in my card and only then I get the passcode to access my account... no chance without having the card in my hands...

But basically, you should of course have two debit accounts (with sufficient funds), one at home and one in Thailand. Mine is also with SCB and I never had issues with my SCB or my home account card being eaten... and of course, having at least two credit cards from different banks would also allow you to withdraw cash in case of emergency, no matter the fees they will charge you... better some fees than no money...

And having two each of debit and credit cards enables you to store one each safely at home / hotel safe in case you loose them or get robbed...

I do have my card details since I use internet banking with my foreign bank for which SCB is the correspondent bank. However, my backup are my credit cards one of which I pay online via the bank. I used that last time my atm card stopped working. Visa/MC all let you take cash advances. The trick is to transfer the money into the account before you withdraw it, but you need to allow 24-48 hours before withdrawing if you want to avoid the interest charges.

My worst fear is the loss of my ATM card. One of the other things to do is to always try to use the card at a bank atm during business hours. They sometimes have the keys onsite to open the pesky card gobblers. It's the worst feeling to not be able to access the cash.

I have a ATM and a Visa card here, one from BKK bank and the other from Siam Com. Bank. The visa from BKK bank can be used to purchase stuff from the inter-net which is very handy, but I only keep limited funds there for same reason.

On both cards I have a bank book, so in case the card is eaten, I can use the bank books to withdraw funds if necessary.

I agree that its best to use ATM machines outside/inside banks, preferable in a big shopping center, and always cover the key pad when entering your pin code.

Many scammers in the big tourist areas, mostly foreigners, so better be safe than sorry.

Writing down card details might work for your e-banking system, but not for all... when I access my home e-banking, I need a CAP reader to put in my card and only then I get the passcode to access my account... no chance without having the card in my hands...

But basically, you should of course have two debit accounts (with sufficient funds), one at home and one in Thailand. Mine is also with SCB and I never had issues with my SCB or my home account card being eaten... and of course, having at least two credit cards from different banks would also allow you to withdraw cash in case of emergency, no matter the fees they will charge you... better some fees than no money...

And having two each of debit and credit cards enables you to store one each safely at home / hotel safe in case you loose them or get robbed...

I need a card reader to access my codes too but with no card it is more difficult. If you do not have or lose your card reaser. Then there is a 2nd option but you still need the card. The 2nd option is to have the card number and your login details. But with no card that is not possible either especially in my case since they changed the rules for login. Therefore no access to online banking.

With regards to 2 credit cards, I do not use credit cards at all only the debit card.

The other point I was making was that I let my Thai bank account run down and that ws a mistake.

It can still help some people if they do make a note of their card numbers and data and if this helps one person to avoid this mistake then the post is worthwhile.

I used a ATM outside of a bank in Hua Hin last week, It gave me my money but kept my card.

at the time, i spotted a lady still working in the bank, so shouting through the gap of a glass door, she told me to stop my card by phoning my bank and to call in the next day with my passport in order to get my card.

i phoned my bank in the UK at a Cost of 10 UK pound and collected my card the next morning.

A Guy opened the ATM and took out about 5 cards and the lady gave me my card back after filling out some paper work. It will be interesting to see if i can claim back my 10 pounds!!! But i will be trying.

With my card stopped, I had to go easy on spending during the last week of my Holiday.

The lady tried to tell me that i did not take the card from the machine within 2 minutes and took the card back.

I was waiting for the card and i thought that i must have but it in a pocket so i was seaching for the card for a good few minutes but it was never offered my card to me Via the ATM

Malc

Edited by malct

Well ....... I think I understand, kind of ? Anyways, I just assumed most people have a record of all there credit and debit cards in case they are lost. Anyways, sorry about your dilemma and wanted to mention how I keep track of my cards in case they are stolen. Everything in my wallet and all my important documents (like passport, Thai license, Credit & Debit cards, Bank books, etc.) I normally take a photo of the front and rear of the card or document. I then resize the jpeg down and store it in a separate folder under a main folder called, "RECORDS". This way if I were to lose a card or document I just go to the image and print it out 4x6 and have a copy of it. In the "exif" info of the image I insert necessary notes and codes that I may need. You can do this with almost any decent photo editor. If I were to lose my wallet, (although I keep minimum in it and it is teathered to a belt loop) , I can print out everything that was in the wallet in a few minutes. I also have all my photos in my wallet in the same folder including photos of my motorbike and it's serial number and any damage to it in case it were stolen. I also have four Thai bank accounts and four separate ATM cards and I try to divide any money I have in Thailand evenly between the four. A few months ago, after I made a withdrawal from a Krung Thai ATM, I forgot to take my card and when I realized what I did I went back and it was gone. The next day I went to the bank with a printed 4x6 of both sides of the card and I had the card back within minutes. Lucky for me an honest person turned it in to the bank. I also never carry more than 1 credit or debit card with me unless I am traveling. Anyways hope this helps for the future , although I know it may not correct your current issue.

Well ....... I think I understand, kind of ? Anyways, I just assumed most people have a record of all there credit and debit cards in case they are lost. Anyways, sorry about your dilemma and wanted to mention how I keep track of my cards in case they are stolen. Everything in my wallet and all my important documents (like passport, Thai license, Credit & Debit cards, Bank books, etc.) I normally take a photo of the front and rear of the card or document. I then resize the jpeg down and store it in a separate folder under a main folder called, "RECORDS". This way if I were to lose a card or document I just go to the image and print it out 4x6 and have a copy of it. In the "exif" info of the image I insert necessary notes and codes that I may need. You can do this with almost any decent photo editor. If I were to lose my wallet, (although I keep minimum in it and it is teathered to a belt loop) , I can print out everything that was in the wallet in a few minutes. I also have all my photos in my wallet in the same folder including photos of my motorbike and it's serial number and any damage to it in case it were stolen. I also have four Thai bank accounts and four separate ATM cards and I try to divide any money I have in Thailand evenly between the four. A few months ago, after I made a withdrawal from a Krung Thai ATM, I forgot to take my card and when I realized what I did I went back and it was gone. The next day I went to the bank with a printed 4x6 of both sides of the card and I had the card back within minutes. Lucky for me an honest person turned it in to the bank. I also never carry more than 1 credit or debit card with me unless I am traveling. Anyways hope this helps for the future , although I know it may not correct your current issue.

Another useful tip (I learned from a topic here a few years back) is to attach all these photos to an email and send it to yourself. Then you have access to them anywhere with internet.

Yeah good post.

I use my phone to store important numbers, if I lose my phone I suppose I'm in the shit. You can always send an email to yourself with all your important numbers.

As for my accounts, I use my SCB debit mastercard for everyday use and my BB bank visa card for any bookings made online.

My apologies for skipping this post, what a great idea. Doing my pics right now.

My apologies for skipping this post, what a great idea. Doing my pics right now.

Agreed, good post

I am taking steps to make sure I will not have a problem in the future. apart from making a note of my card numbers. 2 things, one is to keep my Bangkok Bank account with a reserve in it, the second is to open a Forex account (something I have been meaning to do for a while) because they seem fairly quick to deliver the funds.

I could spend money on the phone to the UK and get a priority transfer of funds at a cost of £40 from the UK bank and also pay a fee at this end. Yet that would work out at approx £60. Does not seem worth it when i have friends who will lend me some cash to tide me over as long as I am not frivolous with it.

I also keep details of my bank accounts and phone numbers along with codes on my phone, although the codes are 'coded' and I do the same with all numbers and accounts of the computer. But I never thought to take down the card details. I will when I get the new one though :)

Another useful tip (I learned from a topic here a few years back) is to attach all these photos to an email and send it to yourself. Then you have access to them anywhere with internet.

Even more useful, every new document (passport, chanut, education certificates, credit cards, etc etc, updated document etc.), that comes into our house goes straight to my daughter-in-law, who scans the document, files it in a folder in her notebook, (all well organized, with a date system ), then she sends a new copy of the folder, with a date, by e.mail to all members of the family.