Discount Structure At Electronic Stores

pete66

I'm looking to make a couple of fairly substantial electronic purchases (TV + camera), and I'm looking to get the best bang for my baht.

So i'm looking for advice on discounts available at electronic stores. If its any help, the TV is likely to be LG, and the camera Sony.

Specific questions:

1) Are there better discounts available during "sales"? (Someone suggested Siam TV have a sale on, hence bigger discounts possible?)

2) I will pay with cash. Should that get me an extra discount on top of other discounts?

It would be great to hear from someone that has experience of working at an electronics shop. What kind of discounts are staff authorized to give out? Are they compensated individually for giving out the minimum possible discount etc?

I read on a Thai language Sony camera forum that 10% discounts were possible for cash purchases. Sounds huge to me, especially as I have always paid full price at Sony centres :)

All discussion / advice / negotation tactics + strategies welcome!!

Siam Tv seems to be able to offer the best "standard" price on most electronics and if they are having a sale on what you are looking for that will be your best bet. Siam Tv does not give discounts unless you are buying a huge amount, I don't think this will qualify. The various "Panich" stores can and will offer cash discounts and discounts depending on stock, but have a higher starting value.

I've never tried the Sony,LG, etc stores in the Airport Plaza, but I hear that they may actually be owned by Siam Tv. Private shops at ICON, Pantip, etc should be willing to bargain, but don't bother with the clerk, go straight to the top if you want a discount.

I deal almost exclusively with Siam Tv, as I always feel like I could be cheated at a place that is will to bargain/haggle. At least there I know that I get a good price and good after purchase service.

Thanks. I popped along to Siam TV today, and asked about the model I wanted and they said "next year", lol. So never mind about the negotiating, none required :)

The model is just just hitting UK shores, but for whatever reasons, it will be quite a bit later here, and also hideously more expensive ..... oh well .... be cheaper to fly back to UK, buy one, and bring it back, except it wouldn't fit in the old luggage.

C'est la vie.

You should be aware that usually the European/UK models and Asian market models are not 100% identical, the Asian models tend to be slightly more budget in one respect or the other.

Be sure to visit forums for electronics geeks, such as AVSforums, read the threads on the model you are interested in, and ask there if you can get the info what the differences are. The marketing material often will not make it clear, and Thai shop clerks usually know very little about these things.

You should be aware that usually the European/UK models and Asian market models are not 100% identical, the Asian models tend to be slightly more budget in one respect or the other.

Be sure to visit forums for electronics geeks, such as AVSforums, read the threads on the model you are interested in, and ask there if you can get the info what the differences are. The marketing material often will not make it clear, and Thai shop clerks usually know very little about these things.

Yep understood, I have been following the discussion on AVSforums about the particular model, and also checked out the LG website(s) for the relative specs. The major difference I can see in the spec is that the UK model has 7 pairs of glasses included and the Thai 4 (I think). Hardly a killer, especially since passive 3D glasses are dirt cheap to make. However, the big difference is the price. It is looking to be way more expensive here, which is annoying because UK VAT is 20% and sales tax here 7% right?

What I always find a bit odd in this country is that you tend to get more discounts if you use credit cards when you buy at chain electronic shops (like PowerBuy or Power Mall).

Also, if you know someone with points on their loyalty card (like Central's the One card) you may be able to get upto 30% discount. I got my TV on that 30% plus another 10% on top via financing through Citibank card.