Retirees? What'S Your Thai Living Budget?

mikey88

My costs are around 150,000 per month. Of course that includes my pool, my truck and 3 well paid staff, as well as daily food from MOW4u. I don't drink, never go out to eat, and my rent is only 5,000 per month. I do like to buy cameras and phones also... My utilities are expensive with water at 4,000 per month, and electricity at over 5,000 per month...

Am I confused or do you own a pool at a rental home?

And if so, how can that rental home be only 5,000 baht a month, and do they have more of these houses for rent?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My costs are around 150,000 per month. Of course that includes my pool, my truck and 3 well paid staff, as well as daily food from MOW4u. I don't drink, never go out to eat, and my rent is only 5,000 per month. I do like to buy cameras and phones also... My utilities are expensive with water at 4,000 per month, and electricity at over 5,000 per month...

And if so, how can that rental home be only 5,000 baht a month, and do they have more of these houses for rent?

I believe he has stated before that he built a pool at his rental property. I pay 6,000 for a good-sized house, so they are out there...lots of them. <_<

How's this for an answer--"It depends..." Do you want to live like a monk or live like a king? Are you comfortable with a small studio in the city (no car required) or do you want a nice house in a suburb of Chiang Mai (car not a necessity but desirable)? Are you a homebody or do you want to travel and do things? Are you willing to live primarily on Thai food purchased in low cost Thai restaurants, or do you want to indulge in western food from high end western restaurants? Are you at an age or have a health problem that will require expensive medical insurance, or do you have some kind of dream coverage from you home country that will cover you in Thailand?

You may be able to get by on much less than 30K baht a month, or need several times that much. It depends.

Edited by heybruce

I believe he has stated before that he built a pool at his rental property. I pay 6,000 for a good-sized house, so they are out there...lots of thems. <_<

6,000 baht...I love the price, and these houses can be pretty roomy. But my experience is that they often are poorly insulated and have a modest, tiny and old bathrooms.

I live a simple life and my living expenses are about the same here as in Europe, around 45,000 baht.

I pay more for my groceries, don't get me wrong, I love Thai food, but I just like to have my own food. Carrots, onions, patatoes, rucola, olive oil...more expensive, even at markets.

Standard quality clothing (in Europe) is seen as "high" quality here, so more expensive. I don't buy clothes & shoes here.

I wanted to buy a second hand car...they are 1/3 cheaper in Europe! (why is it here more expensive?) And NancyL, I have a motorbike, but a car is so much more convenient. And I'm starting to dislike my helmet-hairdo more and more.

For the same standard living here as in Europe I spend the same price.

Things that are cheaper for me here are health treatments, internet, labour costs (maid)

So the question is: what is the price here for the same quality of living in your 'home'country.

you must me a mr meany then shame on you 3 staff well paid bah.gif water 4,000 come off it your taking piss we pay around 6,000 a month for elec 8 air cons etc and water around 300 baht and we have dishwasher, washing machine 3 ponds and rest. wish people here would not talk bullshit. I also assume you have no kids etc etc

For those of you that are throwing around the "I can live here for xx,xxx baht per month stories at 1/2 the price of my home country.", think about how you lived in your home country. Was it in a 35 sq.meter appartment, walking everywhere, wearing very casual clothes, eating in cheap restaurants? Did you have government national health care? Maybe unemployment or retirement benefits.

Duh! (Yes, I know it's an overused American phrase.)) This is a big part of why retirement life here is so cheap. Do you see many 80+-year old retirees around? How do they live? Do you want to be in their situation 30 years from now?

Be sure you have the funds and social network in place to support yourself 30 years from now. You just might live that long.

Edited by NancyL

The Thai's have no problem switching from one side of the road to the other either - and they never leave the country...

I personally live for the excitement and bought a 2000 Suzuki Caribian for 90K baht... The steering so wonky I can easily drive on either side of the road too B)

Thanks for my morning laugh... Oh so true.

Trying to determine the cost of retirement in Thailand is like trying to compare the taste of fruit... Or as someone said... how long is a piece of string. Moe666 said it's as simple as knowing how much money you actually have and staying within that budget. You can get a long term room in a reasonable hotel for under 5000 baht. Thai food is inexpensive. Medical costs are reasonable. Public transportation is inexpensive and so are within country flights. But, if you want a fancy hotel suite in Bangkok and eat western food you are going to need a BIG budget. Autos might be expensive, but labour is cheap. I ride a motorbike and you CAN get used to the strange traffic and how it works. Just never take anything for granted and always expect the unexpected.

NancyL gave good advice (as she usually does) but you have to determine what works for you. I can't really give proper advice because I live two parallel lives... half in Canada and half in Thailand. It works for me and I wouldn't have it any other way. One thing I have learned over the ages is you can only sit in one chair at a time and sleep in one bed at a time. Everything else is extraneous.

Duh! (Yes, I know it's an overused American phrase.)) This is a big part of why retirement life here is so cheap. Do you see many 80+-year old retirees around? How do they live? Do you want to be in their situation 30 years from now?

How much fun are the 80+ year olds having?

How good is their quality of life?

Hanging on at any cost to the state isn't good for anyone.

This is one of the major problems of America, old people who should have died years ago, eating up resources to stay alive at any cost.

In 30 years (more like 20 years) from now I will be dead, a fact many people refuse to accept.

Edited by ludditeman

you must me a mr meany then shame on you 3 staff well paid bah.gif water 4,000 come off it your taking piss we pay around 6,000 a month for elec 8 air cons etc and water around 300 baht and we have dishwasher, washing machine 3 ponds and rest. wish people here would not talk bullshit. I also assume you have no kids etc etc

He has a swimming pool (hense the high water cost) and is not BSing. He is one of the good guys. :jap:

How much fun are the 80+ year olds having?

How good is their quality of life?

Hanging on at any cost to the state isn't good for anyone.

This is one of the major problems of America, old people who should have died years ago, eating up resources to stay alive at any cost.

In 30 years (more like 20 years) from now I will be dead, a fact many people refuse to accept.

Some of the 80+ year olds are having a lot of fun in Chiang Mai, especially those who planned ahead and live in places that are easy for an older person to navigate, have a trusted & loyal Thai staff or wife, money in the bank with local people who can access it when they're suddenly hospitalized and a wide circle of friends. Others are relying on the kindness of stangers and living pretty miserable, isolated, painful lives. Saying that you're going to drop dead suddenly at age 75 isn't planning for your future. You may not want to live that long, but you do need to plan for it.

I wanted to buy a second hand car...they are 1/3 cheaper in Europe! (why is it here more expensive?)

I thougt that would have been really really clear from my car pricing example earlier. But I guess it needs spelling out.

-> That second hand car actually represents more value here. If you buy an old car in Europe, you will be praying every day that nothing goes wrong with it, because repair and maintenance prices are sky-high. And, if I sell my 10 year old truck, there will be some farmer or tradesperson who can use it care-free for ANOTHER 10 years for his business; it represents a solid 300-350K commercial value. In Europe, it represents the fear of something breaking and being screwed.

High prices for driving a car == Farang Myth.

You don't suppose that 150K minus the costs indicated pays for three decent salaries? On water cost, the guy HAS A POOL. Shoot him for paying for city water to fill it up and not filling it up with moat water, why don't you. :rolleyes:

phrase.)) This is a big part of why retirement life here is so cheap. Do you see many 80+-year old retirees around? How do they live? Do you want to be in their situation 30 years from now?

Good points. Of course few here actually live into their 80's here. That's also a big part of why you need less to retire, because you need to pay for fewer days doing it. :P

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Some of the 80+ year olds are having a lot of fun in Chiang Mai, especially those who planned ahead and live in places that are easy for an older person to navigate, have a trusted & loyal Thai staff or wife, money in the bank with local people who can access it when they're suddenly hospitalized and a wide circle of friends. Others are relying on the kindness of stangers and living pretty miserable, isolated, painful lives. Saying that you're going to drop dead suddenly at age 75 isn't planning for your future. You may not want to live that long, but you do need to plan for it.

My idea of fun is not staggering around an old persons home in a zimmer frame with an assistant to wipe my bum when I go to the toilet. Looking forward to my next hospital stay.

But, OK, I can accept that as your idea of fun and wish you well in planning for that event.

Edited by ludditeman

When we retired here, we figured we'd live in the city and see how life is without a car. If your budget is tight, you don't need one, but if you have the nerves to try to drive here, it could be helpful. Personally, I can't imagine trying to park a car the places where I go and I'm scared to death of the drivers in town, and the fact you have to drive on the wrong side of the road in this country.

I guess you are American then Nancy. Us Brits drive on the same side of the road here!! But I have sent a lot of time driving in continental Europe and there is no problem switching from one side to the other (if you see what I mean). Meanwhile, traffic here is not that bad. Far worse in India or Paris. And as a cyclist, I will say safer than the UK.

I agree with Ian, as a Brit' i've always found driving here easy and not anywhere near as scary as a lot of people seem to think it is. Sure; a lot of Thai drivers are poor but that's down to poor education. However; even with plenty of them around I have driven in far worse places in the world.

Cars are expensive here but I would not be without my small Jap' economy car. I do have a Bicycle as well though and tend to use that more on a daily basis.

Hubby and I spent a month here on a recon mission in 2006, living like retirees -- i.e. getting involved in the various outside group activities of the expats club, meeting people, etc.

Expats club? How do I find that?

Yes, I do. I say it was the best decision I have ever made. I lost 150 kilos and extended my life by at least 10 years.

Of course, it was a little bit risky at first, but that was 9 years ago. And my rent is still 5,000 baht :)

There seems to be many people posting who feel 'quality of life' means spending money on unessential such as Western food, cars, large houses and domestic staff. I don't.

Chiang Mai on 100 baht per day:

"Unessential"...? Meaning buying the cheapest food and don't know where it comes from...? (Thai veggies are banned in many countries because of the high percentage pesticide they use)

And don't forget, food is not only to feed our body but also the heart. Food is about filling an emotional need, to bring memories.

Yes, I do. I say it was the best decision I have ever made. I lost 150 kilos and extended my life by at least 10 years.

Of course, it was a little bit risky at first, but that was 9 years ago. And my rent is still 5,000 baht :)

A deep bow for that, that's almost 3x me... talking about taking care of yourself...

When we retired here, we figured we'd live in the city and see how life is without a car. If your budget is tight, you don't need one, but if you have the nerves to try to drive here, it could be helpful. Personally, I can't imagine trying to park a car the places where I go and I'm scared to death of the drivers in town, and the fact you have to drive on the wrong side of the road in this country.

I guess you are American then Nancy. Us Brits drive on the same side of the road here!! But I have sent a lot of time driving in continental Europe and there is no problem switching from one side to the other (if you see what I mean). Meanwhile, traffic here is not that bad. Far worse in India or Paris. And as a cyclist, I will say safer than the UK.

I agree with Ian, as a Brit' i've always found driving here easy and not anywhere near as scary as a lot of people seem to think it is. Sure; a lot of Thai drivers are poor but that's down to poor education. However; even with plenty of them around I have driven in far worse places in the world.

Cars are expensive here but I would not be without my small Jap' economy car. I do have a Bicycle as well though and tend to use that more on a daily basis.

And I love my rust-bucket of a pickup, if our two cars were to suddenly meet, I doubt yours would even dent mine.

Hubby and I spent a month here on a recon mission in 2006, living like retirees -- i.e. getting involved in the various outside group activities of the expats club, meeting people, etc.

Expats club? How do I find that?

Found one, you have. Hm?

Just check out the CM Events section at the top part of this forum.

Of course it is cheaper to live here than virtually everywhere else with similar modernization, no matter which level of income we use. That's why we live here, though we say it is the weather, the people, and/or other features. Thailand is cheap and CM a cheaper yet metropolitan area.

*Exception is living entirely to a western standards such as 150sq meter condo (or half again in a leased multi-AC house) and all western foods. And even there, there's no property tax and utilities cost nothing if one is away from home for long periods; moreover, household help is cheap.

As pointed out above clearly, purchase price of autos is higher, but maintenance and resale later (depreciation) make cost of ownership cheaper.

It's relative, but we're all Cheap Charlies, and this is the Cheap Charlie Thread.:rolleyes:

Mike,

Are you planning to rent or buy?

If buying then don't forget your startt up costs like bed, fridge, wahing machine etc.

If renting or buying your monthly costs (no Thai g/f, no beer or fags etc.) will need to take into account your location, if out of town you will need a truck for weekly shopping or a big backpack and a motorbike (a truck is safer), there will be either medical insurance ( a total waste of money IMHO) or costs of dentist for teeth cleaning, doctors for severe mossie bites etc. will you being going "home" once or twice a year, will you be doing visa runs or small holidays, don't forget the Internet and TV according to your needs, Thai food or Farang can make a big difference to your running costs.

I have bought a small bungalow (14,000GBP) so no rent, I manage well on 48,000 baht a month, we both smoke and drink a lot of beer and manage to do an add-on to the bungalow like outside roofing for the external kitchen or tiling outside or water heater etc. each month or so.

As other posters have said its a case of what is your monthly income vs what are your monthly aspirations.

All the best,

Dave

Mike,

Are you planning to rent or buy?

If buying then don't forget your startt up costs like bed, fridge, wahing machine etc.

If renting or buying your monthly costs (no Thai g/f, no beer or fags etc.) will need to take into account your location, if out of town you will need a truck for weekly shopping or a big backpack and a motorbike (a truck is safer), there will be either medical insurance ( a total waste of money IMHO) or costs of dentist for teeth cleaning, doctors for severe mossie bites etc. will you being going "home" once or twice a year, will you be doing visa runs or small holidays, don't forget the Internet and TV according to your needs, Thai food or Farang can make a big difference to your running costs.

I have bought a small bungalow (14,000GBP) so no rent, I manage well on 48,000 baht a month, we both smoke and drink a lot of beer and manage to do an add-on to the bungalow like outside roofing for the external kitchen or tiling outside or water heater etc. each month or so.

As other posters have said its a case of what is your monthly income vs what are your monthly aspirations.

All the best,

Dave

" medical insurance ( a total waste of money IMHO)'

thats interesting why do you say that? what happens if you get hit by a bus.

The most expensive cost will be your home. since these are rented or bought and vary according to standards and price it can be left out of the equation as long as you have it covered. After home cost expenses Im happy living on 50k bht a month, its more than enough.

Anybody coming here on a western diet be warned, shops like Villa will charge more than you would get the item back home

Firstly, I don't disbelieve a word you say,my question is, how expensive is your water?Here in Maesa Noi I pay 4Baht /1000ltr. Last month 48Baht which will rise to about 150/170Baht in the upcoming dry time to maintain the garden.

If I've done my numbers correctly at my rate your using 1,000,000ltrs/mth. or 30,000ltrs/day.If me I'd be headed out to the meter,turn it off and check that your meter is not redlining when it should be doing nothing.Just a tip.

Firstly, I don't disbelieve a word you say,my question is, how expensive is your water?Here in Maesa Noi I pay 4Baht /1000ltr. Last month 48Baht which will rise to about 150/170Baht in the upcoming dry time to maintain the garden.

If I've done my numbers correctly at my rate your using 1,000,000ltrs/mth. or 30,000ltrs/day.If me I'd be headed out to the meter,turn it off and check that your meter is not redlining when it should be doing nothing.Just a tip.

Well, I have a large garden, 3 waterfalls, and 2 fish ponds, as well as a pool. This month it was 4,500 baht. I can afford it, so no worrys about me. :)

Edited by LJW

It really does depend on your motivation for coming to retire in CM and even how soon. Are you trying to stretch a pension/social security nest egg that would be iffy in a western country into something liveable? That can be done. I know people who could not possibly make it on their US social security and/or small pensions at home who can do it here.... frugally, but not desperately, and at a level that would be impossible in the States. Or are you looking for a comfortable retirement income that would meet basic needs elsewhere to elevate you to an upper class lifestyle in CM? That too is possible-- for now.

I already live in CM but make my living outside the Kingdom. My long-term partner (who has a well-paying job) and I live very well now on 100k+ per month, stowing away excess against future needs. By the time I'm of retirement age the (lovely) house will be paid off and aside from routine expenses his car will be the major variable expense. Inflation is anyone's guess. But we admittedly enjoy the good life in a way that many of my farang friends don't and yet they love CM, make their ways with dignity and comfort, and are able to manage on a lot less.

...there will be either medical insurance ( a total waste of money IMHO)...

Brilliant financial advice! Glad you are not my financial adviser. Got a few hundred thousand Baht socked away if you need cardiovascular or liver surgery since you "smoke and drink a lot of beer" I would imagine???

Insurance (health, accident, auto, motorcycle, etc.) should be on the top of the list for expats moving here.