Samsung Galaxy Note Availablity In Thailand

thaimite

OK just bought one for 21900 in tukcom pattaya with no warranty, that will cost 2000 bath more I was told. Got rid of my wildfire in the deal (4000 bath) and got to keep the 2gb mini sd card that was in the W.F.

First impression; its a big phone man, will take some time getting used to but I think OK in the long run, so much easier to tap messages and so on.

Screen is just awesome and navigation quite easy, so think I won't regret it.

The HTC W.F. was very hard to sell, I tried most phone shops in tukcom and big C North pattaya, I was offered 3000 in big C, cash money and walk away. Most shops said no thanks, not interested.

Now I just hope that the missing warranty don't come back and bite my arse, but never had any problems with mobile's before.

I thought they sell in the genuine dealer shops for 22.900 with warranty.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I just hope that the missing warranty don't come back and bite my arse, but never had any problems with mobile's before.

I once bought a used Samsung and had it repaired free.

Also bought a new Samsung Galaxy at MBK (Bangkok) No written guarantee,

I wasn't too pleased with the phone sound quality but had the speaker (and screen- combined unit) replaced free by Samsung. I didn't have to show any paperwork.

I don't think you will have trouble getting free repairs for one year for a Thai bought. unit. They can identify the source and manufacturing date from the IMEI number. Maybe they may be some quibble about the purchase date (to get the full 12 months warranty) but if you keep the receipt it should help.

In fact when I bought my Galaxy and saw no paperwork to register the phone with Samsung I went to their main service office in Silom Road. They told me there was no need to register the phone for warranty purposes.

You should be OK.

• 2 weeks later...

I once bought a used Samsung and had it repaired free.

Also bought a new Samsung Galaxy at MBK (Bangkok) No written guarantee,

I wasn't too pleased with the phone sound quality but had the speaker (and screen- combined unit) replaced free by Samsung. I didn't have to show any paperwork.

I don't think you will have trouble getting free repairs for one year for a Thai bought. unit. They can identify the source and manufacturing date from the IMEI number. Maybe they may be some quibble about the purchase date (to get the full 12 months warranty) but if you keep the receipt it should help.

In fact when I bought my Galaxy and saw no paperwork to register the phone with Samsung I went to their main service office in Silom Road. They told me there was no need to register the phone for warranty purposes.

You should be OK.

Thanks for that, its nice to know.

I am by the way very happy with the phone, now for the first time I really fell that I can make good use of all the different aps due to the screen size, hell I even installed Wi-Fi in the house because of the pnone.

Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4) is due for the S2 and Note around April I've heard

These are the first 2 Samsung phones to get the update I believe

Thanks for your reply, I had a look at the ICS version on youtube last night and it wasn't as smooth, neither was it particularly nice to look at huh.png

Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4) is due for the S2 and Note around April I've heard

Thanks for your reply, I had a look at the ICS version on youtube last night and it wasn't as smooth, neither was it particularly nice to look at huh.png

but was that the samsung rom or an after market rom like cynogen?

A third of an inch smaller wink.gif

Come on Phil,size matters you know.And 4.65" against 5.3" is hardly a third of an inch smaller.

It more sounds like 15% smaller.

I whould say that the Note has a 30% (29.83%) larger screen then S2 or 23% (22.97%) smaller if you want coffee1.gif

A Samsung Galaxy Nexus is not a Samsung Galaxy S2. The S2 has a 4.3" screen, the Nexus a 4.66" ....

Not much difference up to 5". In fact, the Nexus is exactly as big as I'd be comfortable with. Any bigger and it wouldn't fit comfortably in my hand or pocket anymore.

coffee1.gif to you too ....

It was this, not sure exactly...

I was only interested because I'd heard others talking about it but I'll probably be happy enough with Android 2.3.

My last phone(which died last month) was a HTC Touch(NOT Touch2) and the interface, whilst ok, was a bit 'Thai' - it didn't seem to be properly in-tune with the phone. I bought the phone from the HTC shop in Central Pin Klaow so I don't doubt the origins of the phone, but it was things like checking my balance with True, the interface was messy and sometimes confusing, I believe that was down to the TouchFlo interface and the true balance check interface, my real worry is that I'll buy the Note and it'll be loaded with Thai crap; apps I don't need, messy interfaces that are unnecessary etc.

Can anybody, who has actually bought the Note here, confirm that the interface is the same as the worldwide release or if Samsung Thailand has fiddled with it(READ: broken it) or if it keeps its original interface/OS? - I read in one thread, here on thaivisa, someone asking if the phone has been released in Thailand with Thai language, which gave me hope that it was the officially released Samsung and that Samsung Thailand had yet to get their grubby mits on it...

I'm wondering about getting either a 32gb sd card or taking the 32gb option phone, what would be the cheapest? I can't find prices(sitting here in my office)

I'm also looking at 3G sims for the Note, on the True website the Note isn't showing as compatible with their sim, is that correct??

Edited by MaiDong

Having the memory on the phone rather than on an sdram card have some advantages on Android phones. It's faster and you don't have all that "move to sdram" hassle with apps. I'd say go with as much memory as you think you will be needing. Personally I'm fine with the 16G on my GNEX, can't imagine needing more than that (famous last words, but I think it's true at least for the lifetime of this device).

At 3:18 in the video it shows it's a cyanogen mod.

A third of an inch smaller wink.gif

Come on Phil,size matters you know.And 4.65" against 5.3" is hardly a third of an inch smaller.

It more sounds like 15% smaller.

I whould say that the Note has a 30% (29.83%) larger screen then S2 or 23% (22.97%) smaller if you want coffee1.gif

A Samsung Galaxy Nexus is not a Samsung Galaxy S2. The S2 has a 4.3" screen, the Nexus a 4.66" ....

Not much difference up to 5". In fact, the Nexus is exactly as big as I'd be comfortable with. Any bigger and it wouldn't fit comfortably in my hand or pocket anymore.

coffee1.gif to you too ....

I was concerned about those two issues too. But I saw one in a store and played with it a bit. It was not too big to hold, and (wearing a standard collared shirt) the Note fits in the shirt pocket comfortably. Trousers . . . likewise.

Between the big screen, higher resolution (1280x800), Super Amoled display, bigger buttons for big fingers, and coming upgrade to Android 4.x (Ice Cream Sandwich), the Galaxy Note is a winner.

Speaking of Ice Cream Sandwiches . . . has anybody ever seen them here in Thailand? I could go for one about now!

At 3:18 in the video it shows it's a cyanogen mod.

I didn't give the video that much of my time :)

Speaking of Ice Cream Sandwiches . . . has anybody ever seen them here in Thailand? I could go for one about now!

There's nothing worse than soggy bread, especially the stale, flavourless bread that ice cream sandwiches are made with here in Thailand, I remember my childhood back in the yUK, we used to have ice cream in a wafer sandwich, now that was nice, mmmmmmmm

Anyhow, back on topic, I still can't find any pricing on the 32gb Samsung Micro SD cards in Thailand, they're about $50-60(B1,600-B1,900) on ebay, anybody have an idea? Is the 32gb option even available here? I only saw the B22,900 price in the Samsung shop when I was last in there...

Anyhow, back on topic, I still can't find any pricing on the 32gb Samsung Micro SD cards in Thailand, they're about $50-60(B1,600-B1,900) on ebay, anybody have an idea? Is the 32gb option even available here? I only saw the B22,900 price in the Samsung shop when I was last in there...

They are common here, in the IT Malls. I priced out several at Fortune Town in November, and paid around 1500-1600 baht for 32GB Micro SD.

As for Ice Cream Sandwiches, I'm not talking those bread-thingies they do here in Thailand; I'm talking the authentic ones with chocolate wafers like are stacked on the plates in this picture:

IceCreamSandwiches.jpg

Anybody seen these sold here in Thailand?

Below is the Ice Cream Sandwich stylized logo Android is using:

IceCreamSandwich.jpg

If anyone visit the Mobile expo on Thursday,please post the conditions on a Note for cash payment.

I'm just a poor boy and can't afford a credit card.

I can't help but assume that your comment is limply aimed at my recent thread regarding renting a car in Thailand, I hope not though, I don't want to lose any more faith in humanity violin.gif

You can monitor the promotions for the upcoming Thailand Mobile Expo here:

http://www.thailandmobileexpo.com/

Most of the promotions involve add-ons, tie-ins or financing.

The Note is very popular so retail pricing has stayed close to the MSRP. It seems like 22,500 is the lowest price available?

Samsung has said Android 4.0 (ICS) will be made available for the Note, my best guess would be on/before April 15. Any ICS custom ROMs are very crude so far; everyone is waiting for a model-specific leak.

Well, I ended up going to the expo because the Samsung shop in Central Pinklao only had white Notes, the price was exactly the same - B22,900 - no case was provided, not even a screen protector! These people certainly know how to rip eachother off don't they, I would expect an expo to be a promotional event, where things like screen protectors were given out - even as a goodwill gesture - to someone who has just spent 23k on a phone!! But anyhow, know about the phone...

The phone is nice to use, very clear, fairly quick, takes a bit of getting used to after having a smaller phone but the crux is this; THE BATTERY IS SH*T. it lasts a day only, charging takes over an hour too, take this into consideration when buying.

That's pretty much the case for any large-screen mobile these days. The large screen is what eats most of the battery (you can check this under settings).

The solution is easy: Buy a couple of extra batteries. 3 batteries and an external charger (to charge the batteries independent of the phone) is $12-$15 (<500 baht) incl. shipping on Ebay.

That's pretty much the case for any large-screen mobile these days. The large screen is what eats most of the battery (you can check this under settings).

The solution is easy: Buy a couple of extra batteries. 3 batteries and an external charger (to charge the batteries independent of the phone) is $12-$15 (<500 baht) incl. shipping on Ebay.

Yep, looking at usage as I read your comment actually. Looking for spare batteries now :)

I will also say I've had some new phones where battery usage was a concern at first, but as I got some charge/discharge cycles on it the battery stabilized after a few days and seemed to have longer life. Regardless, I just make it a habit to put the phone on the charger at the bedstand overnight. Of course, also check for any services that are turned on that maybe you don't need to be running, such as bluetooth, GPS, Portable WiFi network, etc.

Did Samsung show the 7.7 tablet at the show? Did they give a price and release date for it?

If that question is aimed at me I'm afraid I don't know, my blinkers were on when I entered that place, I would usually avoid that kind of thing like the plague...