Samsung Galaxy Note Availablity In Thailand

thaimite

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the Samsung Galaxy Note at an official Samsung Mobile Store, floor 2 near the Starbucks, in Seacon Square today. It has Android 2.3.5, and had a lot of Thai apps. The stylus is OK to use. Definitely an impressive unit. List price is 22,900.

One photo is side-by-side with an SGS2.

I seem to have trouble uploading photos?

post-9615-598883_thumb.jpg

post-9615-599240_thumb.jpg

Edited by lomatopo

Been using att's (US) version of the the galaxy s2 with no physical home button and soon realized the home button is necessary, unlocking by a side power button is just plain aggravating. Nexus prime will suffer from this, at least from me, Note will be nice, if it can fit in my cut off jean shorts ( my singha tank top has no pockets).

However for $459 you get a 8.9 galaxy tab 4g with a S2. So couldn't let family members pass that up.

Edited by justsumhelp

according to Android Authority, Samsung will soon update Galaxy S2s and Galaxy Notes with Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) operating system :lol:

so, Im getting the Galaxy Note now for use as a mini-Android tablet (the price seems to be about the same whether I pick one up in Singapore, Thailand or Taiwan where Im traveling around soon)...

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-confirms-ice-cream-sandwich-for-the-galaxy-note-and-galaxy-s-ii-29957/

http://www.androidauthority.com/ice-cream-sandwich-philisophy-soul-new-machine-android-4-0-matias-duarte-28026/

Im pretty sure I will like the Samsung Galaxy Note with 5.3 inch screen and sim card (with Android Gingerbread to be later updated to Android Ice Cream Sandwich)

I already have the Samsung Player Wifi 5 with 5 inch screen...its almost perfect for a mini-tablet if it was a tad bigger and had a sim card (instead of always relying on a wifi connection or fumbling with my iPhone personal wifi hotspot settings)

iPad2[/b] and iPhone4S as my main mobile work tools, but sometimes the iPad2 is way too big as a tablet if I am on the constant move in the city or abroad.]

• 2 weeks later...

Went and played with one at Paragon, dam_n the thing is huge. Cant decide if its too big for daily use

Im pretty sure I will like the Samsung Galaxy Note with 5.3 inch screen and sim card (with Android Gingerbread to be later updated to Android Ice Cream Sandwich)

I already have the Samsung Player Wifi 5 with 5 inch screen...its almost perfect for a mini-tablet if it was a tad bigger and had a sim card (instead of always relying on a wifi connection or fumbling with my iPhone personal wifi hotspot settings)

iPad2[/b] and iPhone4S as my main mobile work tools, but sometimes the iPad2 is way too big as a tablet if I am on the constant move in the city or abroad.]

They had one in Jayphone in Central, Pattaya yesterday. ~23,000 I think they wanted for it. It's big but not too big. Not like a 7" tablet or anything. The next Google phone, the Google Nexus Galaxy (by Samsung) will be almost same size at 4.6". It's just the way it goes with smartphones. I think they'll stop around this size though, much bigger than that and they are no longer handy.

Yea i had no problems typing with one hand our anything it did just surprise me how big the thing was, still really slim though.

They had one in Jayphone in Central, Pattaya yesterday. ~23,000 I think they wanted for it. It's big but not too big. Not like a 7" tablet or anything. The next Google phone, the Google Nexus Galaxy (by Samsung) will be almost same size at 4.6". It's just the way it goes with smartphones. I think they'll stop around this size though, much bigger than that and they are no longer handy.

Samsung shop at Tuckom next to the stairs quoted me 21.000 Baht today.

In fact,I went to the shop this evening as I wanted a galaxy tab 7 ,which seems to be discontinued,as I want a tab with gsm functions.

The 7" is actually just a little too big to be functional as a phone,while the note is just a little too small to be functional as a tab.Anyone know if they have a 6" planned in the near future,otherwise I will buy the note.

Edited by janverbeem

In fact,I went to the shop this evening as I wanted a galaxy tab 7 ,which seems to be discontinued,as I want a tab with gsm functions.

The 7" is actually just a little too big to be functional as a phone,while the note is just a little too small to be functional as a tab.Anyone know if they have a 6" planned in the near future,otherwise I will buy the note.

if you want the 7 Samsung tab check out tesco lotus they have the 3g one at 14995b and the wifi at 8995b. also they have the Archie 70 at 5995b that's what I got. and generally very happy with it.

I didn't think it looked bigger than my 5" Samsung Player but I just checked and it is indeed listed as 5.3". I stand corrected, sorry. A little over half an inch (.65") smaller.

I would still prefer the Nexus Galaxy, mostly by OS but also by design and size. I much prefer AOSP (plain Google) Android over the bastardization of Android done by Samsung, HTC and others. Sure, with the popular handsets like the Samsung Galaxy S and S2 there is a slew of 3rd party AOSP ROMS, but who knows when one will be available for the Note. Just one mans opinion of course :)

Samsung has a new 7" tablet in the works, so hold off for a bit. Presumably it will come with a dual or quad core processor and ice cream sandwich.

Samsung has a new 7" tablet in the works, so hold off for a bit. Presumably it will come with a dual or quad core processor and ice cream sandwich.

I know,it's the 7.7 and should be available in about 2 weeks at an estimated 19000 Baht,but since I considered a 7" already to be the limit in size a 7.7" will for sure be too big.

As I posted already,7" borders to the large size while 5.3" borders to the small size.Will take a closer look at the Note as I think it might fit.

The biggest purpose of the phone will not be to use it as a laptop but to view my security cameras when I get an alarm while being away from the house.So do you think a 5.3" screen will give me a detailed enough picture or should I go for 7".

I really want to get a Note but we are moving to the USA early next year. Will the Thai version work on USA carriers?

It depends on what you mean by "work"?

It would certainly support GSM voice and data (2G), on both/either T-Mobile and AT&T, provided you have coverage. It would also work on AT&T's 3G network: 850 or 1900 MHz depending on location/coverage. It would also work on AT&T's 4G (LTE) network, if coverage is available. You'd have to get a pre-paid or post-paid plan, of course. If considering a post-paid contract then maybe best to wait and buy it subsidized, under contract in the U.S.A.? (I think AT&T plans to offer it early next year.) AFAIK, it would not work on T-Mo's 3G network, but it may work on their 4G network.

Edited by lomatopo

I really want to get a Note but we are moving to the USA early next year. Will the Thai version work on USA carriers?

It depends on what you mean by "work"?

It would certainly support GSM voice and data (2G), on both/either T-Mobile and AT&T, provided you have coverage. It would also work on AT&T's 3G network: 850 or 1900 MHz depending on location/coverage. It would also work on AT&T's 4G (LTE) network, if coverage is available. You'd have to get a pre-paid or post-paid plan, of course. If considering a post-paid contract then maybe best to wait and buy it subsidized, under contract in the U.S.A.? (I think AT&T plans to offer it early next year.) AFAIK, it would not work on T-Mo's 3G network, but it may work on their 4G network.

What about an unlocked US AT&T I777 (GSM 850/900/1800/1900 (Quadband) HSDPA 850/900/1900/2100) - any reason that shouldn't work in Thailand?

Oh, I just see there's another model TS989 with same network specs but different design/screen/cpu ... weird.

And a GT-I9100 (GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 (Quadband) WCDMA (UMTS) 900/2100)

What a bunch of alphabet soup. I thought the GT-I9100 was the international version, but isn't WCDMA the US system?

And I just found another GT-I9100 with HSDPA 850/900/1900/2100.

Is there a website that compares all the different SGS2 models?

What is the Thai version called?