Sunrise Tacos Coming To Jomtien!

Jingthing

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will do a poll.............

What time will JINGYMATHINGY post today on this thread about done to death Mexican food?

Anyone would think why he is not a food critic laugh.gif

How many ST restaurants will I pass on my way to La Monitas today?

(that should tempt him out)

biggrin.gif

funny how the shills and anti-shills have manged to keep bumping this item to the top of the charts....oops I just did it myself and I am neither, must be good for business

I looked up the definition of shill. There is only one shill posting here, and he has every right to be a shill -- the owner of Sunrise.

My interest is clear to anyone who has been reading my posts for several years -- bringing half decent Mexican food to Pattaya. Period.

As far as this topic being visible. It should be visible. The opening of Sunrise Tacos is the biggest food news in the region this year.

Edited by Jingthing

funny how the shills and anti-shills have manged to keep bumping this item to the top of the charts....oops I just did it myself and I am neither, must be good for business

I looked up the definition of shill. There is only one shill posting here, and he has every right to be a shill -- the owner of Sunrise.

My interest is clear to anyone who has been reading my posts for several years -- bringing half decent Mexican food to Pattaya. Period.

As far as this topic being visible. It should be visible. The opening of Sunrise Tacos is the biggest food news in the region this year.

Your efforts in terms of restaurant reviews is appreciate by many of us members. Please keep up the good work!

Your efforts in terms of restaurant reviews is appreciate by many of us members. Please keep up the good work!

I concur. If Jingthing recommends a place, I usually try to check it out. :thumbsup:

As do I.

I shudder when he diverges into politics, but for shilling, he is no Sickman.

The other night the place was packed with customers and the service held up.

The operation was running like a Swiss watch.

The next day at lunch, there were 4 customers and the service was not so great.

Charming young ladies, a bit over their head, trying their best.

Edited by pauljones

Did someone say politics?!?

post-37101-0-20925000-1324038220_thumb.jpost-37101-0-11790600-1324038827_thumb.j

To be clear, I am not recommending or not recommending Sunrise Tacos.

I am certain almost every local who likes Mexican food will be trying it themselves. Some who dislike Sunrise branch food from Bangkok locations or morally object to plus plus or t.v. screens won't, but most will. So I like that this thread is a discussion about reactions to the food and restaurant, that most everyone who likes Mexican food here will be trying.

The other cool thing about this thread is that we have (eventually) gotten feedback (and in some cases actionable changes) from the owner about some issues and hopefully more of that will happen in future.

A current "hot" issue is that there appears to be somewhat of a consensus that the overall reaction to the flavor experience of a lot of the food (excepting some of the salsas) is TOO BLAND. That may be something that potentially could be adjusted by the cooks if the message gets communicated strongly enough by enough people.

Edited by Jingthing

post-37101-0-20925000-1324038220_thumb.jpost-37101-0-11790600-1324038827_thumb.j

I am certain almost every local who likes Mexican food will be trying it themselves. Some who dislike Sunrise branch food from Bangkok locations or morally object to plus plus or t.v. screens won't, but most will. So I like that this thread is a discussion about reactions to the food and restaurant, that most everyone who likes Mexican food here will be trying.

The other cool thing about this thread is that we have (eventually) gotten feedback (and in some cases actionable changes) from the owner about some issues and hopefully more of that will happen in future.

A current "hot" issue is that there appears to be somewhat of a consensus that the overall reaction to the flavor experience of a lot of the food (excepting some of the salsas) is TOO BLAND. That may be something that potentially could be adjusted by the cooks if the message gets communicated strongly enough by enough people.

Does everyone know that we have 3 different sauces on the tables, and our free salsa bar (which has John's Hot, and John's Super Hot) is now open?

I eat my own food DAILY to check quality (and I also like it). We were asked to tone down the chicken wing sauce. Alas, everyone is different.

Best,

Gil

Does everyone know that we have 3 different sauces on the tables, and our free salsa bar (which has John's Hot, and John's Super Hot) is now open?

I eat my own food DAILY to check quality (and I also like it). We were asked to tone down the chicken wing sauce. Alas, everyone is different.

Best,

Gil

I have tried the sauces at the table (it is not easy getting the sauce out of the bottles) and the salsa bar (which I really like and think is a first-class idea). I think, for some people, the issue is not "heat"; rather, the issue is the Mexican spices in the food......the stuff that gives Mexican food its distinctive aroma and flavor. The heat part can always be added using your sauces at the table or at the salsa bar. Personally, I do not like extremely "hot" food presented to me. I like the option of making it as hot as I want. I do, however, like more Mexican spices (not necessarily hot spices) in my Mexican food (especially the meats). Of course, the market will dictate any possible changes to cooking techniques. Good luck, and I think all of us appreciate your responses given that you probably do not always like what you read here and are no doubt extremely busy managing the business.

happy days indeed....

you can wipe your keyboard down now JT :P

You can say you heard it here first! See our mobile truck which we promised we would have. It can do nachos supreme, tacos, burritos, quesadillas, etc., with a full kitchen inside, sink, fridge, flat grill, warmers, hot well, cold area, air con, vents, lights, etc., exactly the same set up as our kitchen in the main restaurant. It is completely portable, and is available for catering, events, parties, birthdays, etc. We will be on Jomtien beach all next week for the International Beach Football tournament. If you want to have a completely great time, come down to Jomtien beach to watch the beach football. It is fast, exciting, and a great atmosphere.

post-143211-0-30193600-1324102985_thumb.

post-143211-0-76457000-1324102994_thumb.

post-143211-0-53433400-1324103007_thumb.

Edited by SunriseTacos

This is interesting --- you are putting it ahead of the New York deli ---- in importance.

I second this sentiment. I've yet to have any big disagreements with his reviews.

happy days indeed....

you can wipe your keyboard down now JT :P

You can say you heard it here first! See our mobile truck which we promised we would have. It can do nachos supreme, tacos, burritos, quesadillas, etc., with a full kitchen inside, sink, fridge, flat grill, warmers, hot well, cold area, air con, vents, lights, etc., exactly the same set up as our kitchen in the main restaurant. It is completely portable, and is available for catering, events, parties, birthdays, etc. We will be on Jomtien beach all next week for the International Beach Football tournament. If you want to have a completely great time, come down to Jomtien beach to watch the beach football. It is fast, exciting, and a great atmosphere.

Cool set of wheels...good luck with it ;)

We are beginning promotions on our facebook page. If you get onto Sunrise Tacos Pattaya facebook, please "like" us or post a photo dining in the restaurant. We are pulling from a hat the names of fans, and sending them free drinks, free food, promotions, 3 for 2 specials, etc. Hope to see our supporters there!

Packed last night at 7:30pm with several people waiting to get in. Everyone seemed to come at the same time. Kitchen held up though, food was flying out as fast as the line could make it. Some minor issues still getting in the way, which we are working on today. All in all though, I would say we are batting above 90%; not too bad for the 3rd week in. Stock checking / purchasing now vastly improved also, meaning less frequest "forget to buy" dashes down the street for something. Now working on accounting systems, and our first big payroll day is coming up month end. If I did this all over again, I definitely would NOT open in November! Either before, or wait for the new year. I'll be in the Pattaya People VIP football team match tonight on Jomtien at 6pm, then a quick shower and back in the restaurant soon after that. Hoping for a good steady business night, but not all at once.

Best,

Gil

Went for dinner tonight. Four of us two farang and two thai women. Had a mixture if dishes. Had the fish burrito rolls or they might have called them tacos on the menu but they were in a burrito casing. The fish was really nice and tasty and everyone liked them.

Also had the chicken fahitas. They were okay I have had better elsewhere but for the price you couldn't complain.

Also had the nachos which was also okay. Have had better elsewhere but they were still okay.

Had a tequilla strawberry and it was okay.

Total bill for 4 people all of us stuffed full was 1200 baht.

Overall good value for the money . The food was fresh and the service was good and i especially liked the fish,

Have had better Mexican in Australia but paid a lot more for it.

It is sort of a cross between a fast food place and a restaurant.

Will go again definitely.

Vast improvement to any other Mexican i have tried in Thailand.

The Baja fish tacos are served at Sunrise in flour tortillas which is actually the more common way Baja fish tacos are traditionally served. Yes, they are tacos and not burritos.

They were really tasty. I know why some might say the food is a little bland but it is up to you to put some sauce or spice on the food. The food could be better but what do you expect for those sort of prices?

For example the fahitas could have come on a steaming plate and had a bit more flavour but they were still okay.

The seasoning and spicing really depends on the dish. Baja fish tacos is not a heavily seasoned dish. It's just fried fish in a tortilla with some fixings. Another poster complained that the fajitas were not seasoned at all with the expected fajitas SPICES (as opposed to the heat which you can add). I think that is a valid complaint.

The seasoning and spicing really depends on the dish. Baja fish tacos is not a heavily seasoned dish. It's just fried fish in a tortilla with some fixings. Another poster complained that the fajitas were not seasoned at all with the expected fajitas SPICES (as opposed to the heat which you can add). I think that is a valid complaint.

Yeah they could do better with the fajitas which is normally my favourite dish. As I said it was okay but could be a lot better. For the price thou it is still good value. You cant expect top class cuisine at these sort of prices. For what it is it is good value.

I agree it is a worthy restaurant but there is always room for improvement. Comments like a dish that should be served with seasoning that is served not really seasoned might be helpful to the business in the long run. This place is surely here to stay and there is no reason some things can't be changed over time.

On that note, I did have a chance to try their soft corn tortillas. They are nothing like what I would expect handmade soft corn tortillas to taste like. I find it hard to believe their Mexican chef consultant would find them very acceptable. Can't they be improved? Is it impossible to do this in Thailand? If so, why?

Edited by Jingthing

The Baja fish tacos are served at Sunrise in flour tortillas which is actually the more common way Baja fish tacos are traditionally served. Yes, they are tacos and not burritos.

They were really tasty. I know why some might say the food is a little bland but it is up to you to put some sauce or spice on the food. The food could be better but what do you expect for those sort of prices?

For example the fahitas could have come on a steaming plate and had a bit more flavour but they were still okay.

I am going to zest up the chicken fajitas, and allow them to marinate longer. I cannot allow one of our signature dishes to be considered not zesty enough. I really appreciate this feedback. I am on it.

Gil

I agree it is a worthy restaurant but there is always room for improvement. Comments like a dish that should be served with seasoning that is served not really seasoned might be helpful to the business in the long run. This place is surely here to stay and there is no reason some things can't be changed over time.

On that note, I did have a chance to try their soft corn tortillas. They are nothing like what I would expect handmade soft corn tortillas to taste like. I find it hard to believe their Mexican chef consultant would find them very acceptable. Can't they be improved? Is it impossible to do this in Thailand? If so, why?

Thank you. Our soft corn tortillas are the same as what we use for the crispy tacos. We cannot make a soft corn mix specifically for soft corn tortiall taco orders, the volume is just not there for this type of dish. We do have about 5 clients though, that come in and specificallly ask for the soft corn. Who can figure it out? Lol. The soft corn tortilla recipie is easy - ground corn, water, salt, and heat. Nothing else. I have tried them myself, I liked it but even I prefer the soft flour.

Gil