Sunrise Tacos Coming To Jomtien!

Jingthing

Maybe you don't get much repeat call for your soft corn tortillas because they really aren't very good! I am pleased to read that you clearly know that yourself. Sorry but the standard for Mexican tacos is soft corn tortillas. There is good stuff on the menu there, but on what you would expect from a place named after tacos, that is a letdown.

I mean, think about it. If you went to a place called Pop's Pizza and the pasta was great but the pizza crust wasn't good, that sends a confusing message.

I will also go so far as to suggest IF you did produce excellent soft corn tortillas you could easily promote that fact and sell a lot more of that product. I get it that you don't see this as a problem. It is a problem for people expecting authentic tasting tacos. On the other hand, there isn't any other Mexican restaurant in town offering authentic tasting fresh handmade corn tortillas.

OK, I will say something nice. The crispy corn ones are good. I do consider that Tex-Mex and I know lots of people like Tex-Mex. cowboy.gif The flour ones are OK but I don't think many people would prefer flour tortillas for tacos in the US or Mexico except for Baja fish tacos.

(The bright side: nobody is going to call me a shill anymore!)whistling.gif

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am curious JT, you have not eaten there yet,but table a robust and lengthy defense to a critic who has

why?

Not sure, really. Can't afford psychotherapy. In any case, my comments were largely generic. Such as a discussion of EXPECTING sour cream to be served with soft tacos, when I find such an expectation absurd. Also if you read my post carefully, I think calling it a defense not correct. I criticized that they even have dishes like Japan rice and crusted tortilla crusted chicken on their menu, for example. And, no, silly, I don't work for them!

Actually, liquid crema (not gloppy like sour cream) is often served with Mexican tacos and tostadas in Mexico. It's not sour either.

i am curious JT, you have not eaten there yet,but table a robust and lengthy defense to a critic who has

why?

Not sure, really. Can't afford psychotherapy. In any case, my comments were largely generic. Such as a discussion of EXPECTING sour cream to be served with soft tacos, when I find such an expectation absurd. Also if you read my post carefully, I think calling it a defense not correct. I criticized that they even have dishes like Japan rice and crusted tortilla crusted chicken on their menu, for example. And, no, silly, I don't work for them!

Oh Jesus! I just noticed I'm on page 11 of a 25 page thread about a taqueria that's in city I don't live anywhere near. Time for a walk.

Edited by lannarebirth

REMOVED

hey, 16,000+ views and 600+ posts. tex mex gets the juices flowing in quite a few people apparently.

REMOVED

I dont see why you would bow to a lack of knowledge about anything either. Seems odd that u feel that way inclined.

However, I dont see how my knowledge or lack of, concerning pattaya can influence the stats i provided on tex mex. I mean i wasn't actually in pattaya physically collecting those stats u realise?

Edited by Rimmer
Flames removed

why?

Actually, liquid crema (not gloppy like sour cream) is often served with Mexican tacos and tostadas in Mexico. It's not sour either.

I will humbly take your word for that. Not in my experience in Mexico (mostly to Jalisco province but also DF, Oaxaca, Guerruero, and Sinaloa provinces) except for Baja fish tacos. Maybe we traveled to different areas of Mexico and/or got our tacos and tostadas at different kinds of venues.

I certainly have no issue with people wanting gringo style sour cream on tacos, but I think having that as a "free" expectation is a little much.

Edited by Jingthing

On that note, I did have a chance to try their soft corn tortillas. They are nothing like what I would expect handmade soft corn tortillas to taste like. I find it hard to believe their Mexican chef consultant would find them very acceptable. Can't they be improved? Is it impossible to do this in Thailand? If so, why?

I also found the corn tortillas to be unacceptable and posted about it earlier in this thread. There are perfectly acceptable corn tortillas available in Thailand, the Danitas brand is fine, so it's very strange that Sunrise continues to bury it's head in the sand on this issue. As I said earlier, the corn tortillas have an unpleasant, gritty texture.

A late mini review. Well it seems like the menu is almost the same as the one in Siam Paragon Bangkok.

The Quesallida tasted about the same too - it was OK but nothing special. Didn't see the Bangkok location pumpkin pie on the menu though.

But I probably won't be back for a while. Why? I find a 7% VAT + 10% service charge to be unacceptable. No other establishment in the Jomtien area does this as far as I know.

This is standard in tourist trap Bangkok but can't see it flying here.

On that note, I did have a chance to try their soft corn tortillas. They are nothing like what I would expect handmade soft corn tortillas to taste like. I find it hard to believe their Mexican chef consultant would find them very acceptable. Can't they be improved? Is it impossible to do this in Thailand? If so, why?

I also found the corn tortillas to be unacceptable and posted about it earlier in this thread. There are perfectly acceptable corn tortillas available in Thailand, the Danitas brand is fine, so it's very strange that Sunrise continues to bury it's head in the sand on this issue. As I said earlier, the corn tortillas have an unpleasant, gritty texture.

I agree. Locally bought in factory made soft corn tortillas would indeed be better than what they are serving as fresh handmade soft corn tortillas. However, it is clear for whatever reason that the management does not think there is really a big demand for soft corn tortillas for their tacos (and/or it is too much bother to offer them). Most of their items on the taco and enchilada menu are offered with flour tortillas so this appears to be a deliberate plan. That is obviously their option to make such a business decision but it is not going to please people who want/expect more authentic tasting tacos. Also, it can't be denied that their CRISPY corn tortillas, though very gringo, are quite good. Of course burritos and quesadillas are supposed to be done with large flour tortillas so no issues there.

BTW, my opinion is that there IS a good local demand for authentic excellent fresh handmade corn tortillas just as there is in the US and Mexico. Of course if no place offers them, that can't be proven.

post-37101-0-60011300-1324788334_thumb.j

The local Sunrise does have pumpkin pie.

A "Mexican" taco-focused restaurant that has pumpkin pie but no acceptable soft corn tortillas. Go figure!

Edited by Jingthing

BTW, my opinion is that there IS a good local demand for authentic excellent fresh handmade corn tortillas just as there is in the US and Mexico. Of course if no place offers them, that can't be proven.

Don't really think so as there aren't 100M or so Mexicans in Thailand like there are in Mexico; nor 10M or so illegal Mexican immigrants in Thailand like there are in the United States.

Don't really think so as there aren't 100M or so Mexicans in Thailand like there are in Mexico; nor 10M or so illegal Mexican immigrants in Thailand like there are in the United States.

Huh? You think only Mexicans like authentic tasting tacos and tortillas? Bizarre. Maybe you're saying there is no demand for Mexican restaurants in Thailand. We know you're wrong about that.

Huh? You think only Mexicans like authentic tasting tacos and tortillas? Bizarre. Maybe you're saying there is no demand for Mexican restaurants in Thailand. We know you're wrong about that.

Basically you have that correct, except for yourself and some other Mexican foodies that are posting on this thread...most of us others don't really give a @#$!. What's available locally is good enough.

"Is good local demand" I interpreted as there is big demand (as in large volume) for authentic corn tortilas and, while there is certainly some with a few farangs, there is probably not enough to justify anyone making a large effort to fill this market.

Edited by FarangBuddha

A late mini review. Well it seems like the menu is almost the same as the one in Siam Paragon Bangkok.

The Quesallida tasted about the same too - it was OK but nothing special. Didn't see the Bangkok location pumpkin pie on the menu though.

But I probably won't be back for a while. Why? I find a 7% VAT + 10% service charge to be unacceptable. No other establishment in the Jomtien area does this as far as I know.

This is standard in tourist trap Bangkok but can't see it flying here.

Agree

Basically you have that correct, except for yourself and some other Mexican foodies that are posting on this thread...most of us others don't really give a @#$!. What's available locally is good enough.

"Is good local demand" I interpreted as there is big demand (as in large volume) for authentic corn tortilas and, while there is certainly some with a few farangs, there is probably not enough to justify anyone making a large effort to fill this market.

Certainly any Mexican or non-Mexican who knows anything about Mexican food and loves the cuisine wants corn tortillas. If as you say, most people do not care, that means most of them have no idea what Mexican food is or they really do not like it that much. I think the demand for really good Mexican food is here, but I do wonder about the Russians. Jomtien is starting to resemble a beach town in Russia smile.png I suppose, in the end, they will be the ones to dicate what type of Mexican food will be served.......and I cringe at that thought and hope it is not true.

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

Actually, I can prove there is a good demand in Thailand for soft corn tortillas. Factory made ones are sold in expat oriented grocery stores here and have been for years! As said before, these factory made ones are better than the soft corn tortillas served at Sunrise. Sad, but true. People who have been buying these soft corn tortillas in Thailand for years from the expat markets are likely using them to made some kind of Mexican style food. I think this is proof enough that many people in Thailand do like soft corn tortillas and that they definitely are a commercially viable food product.

One point though, the quality of these local factory soft corn tortillas is not up to the quality you would expect in the US for the same product, but still sadly better than the ones at Sunrise.

My suggestion -- go for the crispy corn or flour ones at Sunrise. That will convince them even more there is no demand for soft corn tortillas, which is obviously false, but why pay for unacceptable soft corn tortillas? Like many restaurants, not everything on the menu is great or even acceptable. That doesn't mean there isn't worthy stuff to eat at Sunrise, which there certainly is.

Edited by Jingthing

Actually, I can prove there is a good demand in Thailand for soft corn tortillas. Factory made ones are sold in expat oriented grocery stores here and have been for years! As said before, these factory made ones are BETTER than the soft corn tortillas served at Sunrise. Sad, but true. People who have been buying these soft corn tortillas in THAILAND for years from the expat markets are likely using them to made some kind of Mexican style food. I think this is proof enough that many people in Thailand do like soft CORN tortillas.

One point though, the quality of these local factory soft corn tortillas is not up to the quality you would expect in the US for the same product, but still sadly better than the ones at Sunrise.

My suggestion -- go for the crispy corn or flour ones at Sunrise. That will convince them even more there is no demand, which is obviously false, but why pay for unacceptable soft corn tortillas?

As many of you have seen, I read the posts, and take many comments to heart. We try to work on all constructive criticism. I wanted to see what the fuss was about regarding our soft corn tortillas. Today, I grilled one slightly, threw in some of our grilled chicken, Sunrise salsa, and bit of lettuce. To be honest, it was one of the best things I have eaten in days. I know a lot of you will say I am being defensive, but I am not. I listened on the chicken fajitas, which has now been tweaked, I have eliminated cold food, improved cooking techniques, etc. In this case though, I will stand by our tortillas. Because of our tortilla press issue weeks ago, it might have been the cause. But, today, I can say that I love our soft corn. Come by this coming Taco Tuesday, and ask for me personally. I will specifically be there. Last night, a customer came in and ordered a pack of ten to go. I am waiting on his email to see how they were (I asked him to comment after eating them).

Best,

Gil

Fair enough. Try them for yourselves. Maybe I was served stale ones or something. But I don't think so. As another poster said they were oddly gritty and the owner himself said they are using the same makings as for the crispy which isn't the ideal way. They were so strange that I had to eat my tacos with a fork! The ones I had I cannot imagine a Mexican chef consultant would ever approve. Tastes do vary but they were nothing like any soft corn tortilla I have ever been served in Mexico or the US.

If the owner is talking about same soft corn tortillas that I had, I think there is some denial going on. It happens.

From the owners own post:

Our soft corn tortillas are the same as what we use for the crispy tacos. We cannot make a soft corn mix specifically for soft corn tortiall taco orders, the volume is just not there for this type of dish.

I read that to mean that he knows there is a better way to make authentic tasting soft corn tortillas but that they are not doing that for business reasons. Is that an incorrect interpretation of that statement?

Look surely there are a lot of naive palates in these parts that won't know the difference. However, that doesn't make a rabbit a duck.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't want to give the impression that I am dissing this place just because I do have some issues with some of their food (as I would with most any restaurant, including those I like). So, here is some praise to balance:

Best salsas in town!

Best treatment of Mexican style meats in town!

That adds up without a doubt to best Mexican restaurant in town ...

post-37101-0-91040500-1324812407_thumb.j

(And you can quote me on that.)

Best "soft" corn tortillas in town? coffee1.gif Maybe someday?

Edited by Jingthing

WOW.... 25 thread pages on Sunrise Tacos in Pattaya....

I guess that just goes to show that many of us gringos really do love our Mexican food, in all its different varieties and regional shadings. And for those of us who do, it's a subject on which we hold strong and definite opinions....

I've had some quite good Mexican style food in BKK, and at other times, I've had some pretty miserable Mexican style food here. And probably have more than my fair share of TV posts on the subject, including more than a few relating to Sunrise Tacos.

But in the end, I'd suggest, what really matters is that Pattaya now has a Mexican food eatery... By all means, encourage the local operator to remedy perceived failings and lobby for things they might add or do better.... But remember, having something is certainly better than having nothing.

Agreed, but if real life Mexican food loving paying customers are saying there is a real serious problem with the soft corn tortillas and the problem is being DENIED (even though it was bizarrely admitted that they weren't invested in making them properly), kind of frustrating, yes? In fact I am confused about the response to this. First it was said, we don't make them properly because there is so little demand, and then claiming they are super fantastic. It doesn't add up, does it? I would imagine this issue is fixable but if there is no interest in fixing it, that is a letdown.

Edited by Jingthing

Come by this coming Taco Tuesday, and ask for me personally.  I will specifically be there.  Last night, a customer came in and ordered a pack of ten to go.  I am waiting on his email to see how they were (I asked him to comment after eating them).

Best,

Gil

I will try my best to come by. One thought, rather than cooking the tortilla yourself, why don't you try one cooked by your cooks and as they are sent to your customers? Perhaps they aren't grilling them properly and they are undercooked, leading to the grittiness I encountered. As I said, I'll try to make it by on Tuesday.

I don't want to give the impression that I am dissing this place just because I do have some issues with some of their food (as I would with most any restaurant, including those I like). So, here is some praise to balance:

Best salsas in town!

Best treatment of Mexican style meats in town!

That adds up without a doubt to best Mexican restaurant in town ...

post-37101-0-91040500-1324812407_thumb.j

(And you can quote me on that.)

Best "soft" corn tortillas in town? coffee1.gif Maybe someday?

Shill. giggle.gif

Come by this coming Taco Tuesday, and ask for me personally. I will specifically be there. Last night, a customer came in and ordered a pack of ten to go. I am waiting on his email to see how they were (I asked him to comment after eating them).

Best,

Gil

I will try my best to come by. One thought, rather than cooking the tortilla yourself, why don't you try one cooked by your cooks and as they are sent to your customers? Perhaps they aren't grilling them properly and they are undercooked, leading to the grittiness I encountered. As I said, I'll try to make it by on Tuesday.

Great. Please report back with your investigative findings. I'd like to get to the bottom of the mystery of the "soft" corn tortillas. Edited by Jingthing

Come by this coming Taco Tuesday, and ask for me personally. I will specifically be there. Last night, a customer came in and ordered a pack of ten to go. I am waiting on his email to see how they were (I asked him to comment after eating them).

Best,

Gil

Great. Please report back with your investigative findings. I'd like to get to the bottom of the mystery of the "soft" corn tortillas.

The suspense is overwhelming. Will there be an alert sent out to interested parties once the report is filed? God, I hope so, cuz I can't stay awake till Tuesday.

why?

Oh Jesus! I just noticed I'm on page 11 of a 25 page thread about a taqueria that's in city I don't live anywhere near. Time for a walk.

Back from your walk already?coffee1.gif