Why Are There No Fast Food Outlets In Jomtien?

hotandhumid

There WAS a KFC which closed about 2006 at the corner of Thappraya and Beach. Interestingly, something else is being constructed in that location now, I don't know what. I don't really want KFC or burger joints but I would like to see a Starbucks because that is a modern "traditional" signal that an area has arrived.

Starbucks is precisely something I would not want to see for the very same reason.

Of course, I live 500 km away for that very same reason.

Strange, but of the Farangs I know, none of them go to the multinational chains.

Somebody told me the KFC closed down because of lack of customers.

There is a strong rumour that Tesco will be the anchor tenant for the proposed new shopping complex, where they have knocked down all the shacks on beach road near Soi 9, leaving a large empty site between Beach Road and New 2nd Road.

Good news! A Tesco would be very welcome. KFC closed in 2006. I don't care myself as I don't eat at KFC but things have changed a lot since 2006. Also, you never know why they closed anyway, could be all kinds of reasons like a landlord conflict.

As far as Starbucks, I don't understand why people would magically stop buying Starbucks in Jomtien when they do buy it in Pattaya. Of course it would need to be a high visibility area.

I would like to see Starbucks in Jomtien, especially if they can find a spot with a good view of the ocean (dirty or not). As an aside, I wonder why the Starbucks across from the old pier closed down? That seemed like a good location near Walking Street.

STARBUCKS UUUGGGGGHHH :bah:

Doesn't matter what you think. They are very popular and nobody is making anyone spend money there.

So you never have a coffee outside?
Not locally as these days I only drink coffee in the morning and leaving the house without caffeine is not an option. Oddly when traveling I drink more coffee.

It's the popularity of Starbucks that amazes me, who is it popular with? No-one I know would ever admit to having been in one more than once!

For one reason only: atmosphere. Tell me a place where I can just go and sit down and order coffee maybe an hour later if I feel like it? Where I can read the Bangkok Post and fall asleep in a comfy chair with no worries?

The food is barely passable and the coffee is at best so-so but all that is made up for by the atmosphere.

Edited by BugJackBaron

I don't eat any of that crap back home. Why in the world would anyone come to Thailand and want to eat that? If you live in Jomtien I can see getting a craving for your crap on occasion but just go up to sukhumvit and get your arteries clogged there when the urge hits. That is probably part of the reason you don't see fast food in Jomtien. Because they can't compete with all the mom and pop restaurants serving up tasty food using local ingredients which is obviously what people in Jomtien prefer.

If you eat that garbage enough to want it in the Jomtien beach area go live in Mexico.

Edited by ES1

If you eat that garbage enough to want it in the Jomtien beach area go live in Mexico.

Personally I don't want to consume garbage myself but see a Starbucks as a sign of life for the neighborhood. I don't see why you have to diss Mexico either; totally irrelevant.

Strange, but of the Farangs I know, none of them go to the multinational chains.

Somebody told me the KFC closed down because of lack of customers.

There is a strong rumour that Tesco will be the anchor tenant for the proposed new shopping complex, where they have knocked down all the shacks on beach road near Soi 9, leaving a large empty site between Beach Road and New 2nd Road.

Good news! A Tesco would be very welcome. KFC closed in 2006. I don't care myself as I don't eat at KFC but things have changed a lot since 2006. Also, you never know why they closed anyway, could be all kinds of reasons like a landlord conflict.

As far as Starbucks, I don't understand why people would magically stop buying Starbucks in Jomtien when they do buy it in Pattaya. Of course it would need to be a high visibility area.

I would like to see Starbucks in Jomtien, especially if they can find a spot with a good view of the ocean (dirty or not). As an aside, I wonder why the Starbucks across from the old pier closed down? That seemed like a good location near Walking Street.

maybe because they opened another one a few blocks down in a better location close to Royal garden. No shortage of starbucks around beach rd and the malls there. Between starbucks and au bon and McCafe and Coffee World etc. etc. you are basically in caffeine heaven along beach rd.

Edited by ES1

Massive Tesco's 1 1/2 mile from Jomtien already, use Foodmart for those special items, French bakery, deli sandwiches, and good butchery. Small Topps for sundries.

There is no need for anything else. Want to but TV's or bulk stuff go to Makro, all within reach

You clearly run a vehicle. Not everyone does. Or wishes to.

Next ...

Edited by Jingthing

Starbucks is for tourists and tards... much prefer a "cafe yen, miow wan " from a small stall for 15 baht :jap:

As for Tesco's, <deleted> plague... :annoyed:

Pattaya's lifeblood is tourists. Did it give you pleasure to call Starbucks customers tards?

I would certainly prefer a Friendship, Foodland, a big Best, or a big Tops over Tescos, but beggars aren't choosers and for now we've got almost nothing.

I would buy meat and some produce at a local Tescos. Rompho market is good for produce but the fly ridden meat is too local for me.

Edited by Jingthing

Massive Tesco's 1 1/2 mile from Jomtien already, use Foodmart for those special items, French bakery, deli sandwiches, and good butchery. Small Topps for sundries.

There is no need for anything else. Want to but TV's or bulk stuff go to Makro, all within reach

Next ...

So you want Foodland to open a supermarket within walking distance of you, I'll write to them for you, where do you want it the bottom of your garden?

Next ...

So you want Foodland to open a supermarket within walking distance of you, I'll write to them for you, where do you want it the bottom of your garden?

Have you heard of this thing called a BAHT BUS?

Yes, this is annoying, chauvinist people who think everyone needs to or should run a personal motor vehicle.

Edited by Jingthing

Massive Tesco's 1 1/2 mile from Jomtien already, use Foodmart for those special items, French bakery, deli sandwiches, and good butchery. Small Topps for sundries.There is no need for anything else. Want to but TV's or bulk stuff go to Makro, all within reach
You clearly run a vehicle. Not everyone does. Or wishes to.Next ...
Have you heard of this thing called a BAHT BUS?Yes, this is annoying, chauvinist people who think everyone needs to or should run a personal motor vehicle.

Exactly, then why not get the Baht Bus to the perfectly good Tesco's, I do

Suppose the real opportunity is to build a big shopping mall just off the new Second Road then you can have all the fast food you want, as for the Thai's the have all the fast food they want, planty of street vendors, you do not get better than that. :whistling:

Edited by Basil B

Exactly, then why not get the Baht Bus to the perfectly good Tesco's, I do

Sometimes I do. The service is very poor and you would know that if you do that. Especially coming back, sometimes it's impossible to find even one bus that will operate as a bus.