Thai PM Moves To Soothe Bangkok Flood Panic

webfact

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the leader of any country, man or woman, should be seen in public bawling like that. It looks weak. On the face of it, it appears to be a public breakdown rather than so called caring. I have nothing against everyday people crying. But a national leader is playing a role and showing strength, all the time, is part of that role.

So are you.................

What's that supposed to mean?

I don't get it either!

You have knowledge and experience of her incapability ??

My Red hating Thai friends are giving her credit for doing her best in an impossible situation.

How do you know or more importantly, why do you think that she has " contempt for Thai people" ???

I think she's doing her best too, if that helps. I, and millions of other people who are suffering from her administration's incompetence just wish that was good enough. Her best would appear to fall well short of the leadership that is required in this crisis. I remember her saying she picked all the ministerial appointments herself. I think she was doing her best then too.

Well if one of the male ministers may shed a tear watching his industrial complex flood, who could blame the PM to shed a tear as well.

Mind you, in May this year it was reported Ms Yingluck felt a sudden urge and desire to help and serve the people and please can I be put on the Pheu Thai party list for MP candidates. After long deliberation Pheu Thai exec's said 'well, OK, we'll put you on the number one place'. One can only wonder if she really understood what a possible election to be MP and even PM would really mean in the sense of responsibilities and public exposure. Life can be tough :ermm:

Any evidence that she did not understand the " weight of office" ?

Evidence, not <deleted>.

Wondering one.

With all the statements of our dear PM, I'm afraid it would be more to the point to ask 'any evidence that she DID understand the "weight of office". May be it's "too early', 'not the right time', 'we will clarify', 'in due time', 'that's not what we meant', 'that's not what he/she should have said', ... ...

You have knowledge and experience of her incapability ??

My Red hating Thai friends are giving her credit for doing her best in an impossible situation.

How do you know or more importantly, why do you think that she has " contempt for Thai people" ???

Lying in court to assist her brother to avoid paying billions of baht in tax, in reality stealing from the people of this country, is pretty contemptuous, don't you think? Bribing ignorant people with populist policies to get them to vote for you to hold a position for which you have neither qualification or experience is hardly a mark of respect either.

Sorry to be off topic, just answering your question.

To quote Yingluck again ... "and nothing happened. Everything was normal." :thumbsup:

one of her domestic helper forget to turn off the tap and flooded the house. 'and, nothing happened, everything was normal.'

OMG, this is a country of 66.7 million people and millions of them are in the water. is this normal ?

Everything is normal, here in Dubai!!!!

PM caught crying due to stress from flooding crisis :blink:

554000013880001.JPEG

I don't see the point of this picture.

Why publish it?

Are we suppose to feel sorry for her?

Does she feel the plight of her people?

Or is the job too much for her?

I doubt she wanted it published. A journalist got a revealing photo. It doesn't matter in this case what she was thinking; it matters what she LOOKS like. To me, she looks like she is emotionally overwhelmed, not in a good way.

I doubt she wanted it published. A journalist got a revealing photo. It doesn't matter in this case what she was thinking; it matters what she LOOKS like. To me, she looks like she is emotionally overwhelmed, not in a good way.

I think she got a splinter in her finger.

"""""Hello our kid in Dubai--if I send the aircraft carrier over can you arrange for it to be loaded up with sand as we have a crisis and were are running out of sand, sod Issan and Ayuttaya , we have to stop the water reaching Bkk inner districts as many of the family businesses could be affected"""":whistling:

The Japanese boss of Toshiba (Thailand) hit the nail on the head in today's Bkk Post: "In Thailand, flood information is inaccurate. We do not know what the situation is... The government should offer a forecast for the coming months too".

The science of flood prediction is not new - given the area of the catchment, the outflow from dams, the size and gradient of rivers etc a fairly accurate forecast can be made using computer models. Also long-range weather forecasts are invaluable in planning resevoir levels during the rainy season. It shouldn't be necessary to release a mass of water, just before the spring tides, when the resevoirs are already 99% full!

Thailand's problem is that university degress can be bought, without even the need to attend any classes, and senior positions in government agencies depend more on connections than ability or genuine qualifications.

Misogynist comments on Yingluck's finger nails are neither helpful nor relevant, as the male members (!) of her government are no more competent than she is. She will have to work hard to persuade foreign companies to re-invest here.

Now that will be a bit of a problem as the lady has not done any hard work in her life.

What! shopping can be a really hard work!

I don't think the leader of any country, man or woman, should be seen in public bawling like that. It looks weak. On the face of it, it appears to be a public breakdown rather than so called caring. I have nothing against everyday people crying. But a national leader is playing a role and showing strength, all the time, is part of that role.

Sha not the woman for her trousers.:ph34r:

So are you.................

What's that supposed to mean?

I don't get it either!

Count me in!

"""""Hello our kid in Dubai--if I send the aircraft carrier over can you arrange for it to be loaded up with sand as we have a crisis and were are running out of sand, sod Issan and Ayuttaya , we have to stop the water reaching Bkk inner districts as many of the family businesses could be affected"""":whistling:

Good one!!

What I blame her for is having such contempt for Thai people that she put herself in a position that they should be depending on someone as incapable as herself.

Well, it's pretty arguable as to whether SHE put herself in that position, as opposed to HE put her in that position....

I think there's a song that goes something like... "[br]other never told me there'd be days like this..." :D

It's kind of interesting though... It's pretty apparent the government has been widely absent from much effective work during this entire episode... A lot of Thai people, arguably too many, have simply been left flooded out without any apparent help or aid at all from the various government authorities.

And yet, thus far, at least publicly, I haven't heard much vocal complaining from the average soaking wet Thai about the performance of their government... The one they (in majority) just elected.

To be clear, I don't blame or judge the currently elected government based on the failures of planning and flood management that have occurred in all the past years and regimes... But it's not too hard to fault them for how they've performed in response to the admittedly bad situation they inherited.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Hard to be scientific about this...but if I were a wagering man...

I'd wager that the average common-man Thai is probably giving her more slack than she deserves based on the fact that she's a woman... And perhaps of an element of forgiveness owing to being relatively new in the job.

I personally don't see it that way... I judge her as the prime minister of a country who taken on a job of great importance... And the country deserved someone who was somewhat prepared and ready for the challenges involved.

But I think for a lot of common Thais, whether consciously or not, they simply don't expect a woman government official to be as competent or capable as a male counterpart... That's been the traditional lesser status of woman in Thai society going back in time... Kind of like the collective saying..."Ohh...the poor dear... She's trying her best!!!"

I'd wager that the average common-man Thai is probably giving her more slack than she deserves based on the fact that she's a woman... And perhaps of an element of forgiveness owing to being relatively new in the job.

I personally don't see it that way... I judge her as the prime minister of a country who taken on a job of great importance... And the country deserved someone who was somewhat prepared and ready for the challenges involved.

But I think for a lot of common Thais, whether consciously or not, they simply don't expect a woman government official to be as competent or capable as a male counterpart... That's been the traditional lesser status of woman in Thai society going back in time... Kind of like the collective saying..."Ohh...the poor dear... She's trying her best!!!"

There are too many people "trying their best" in this crisis. Female or male makes no difference. When I go to the office, my partner doesn't give a dam_n about me "trying my best". He wants me to solve the problems. And if I can't solve the problems then I don't belong in the position. That is the way business works. I don't have the luxury of crying when stress comes on, although I admit I have felt like it sometimes when things have been particularly overwhelming. That doesn't mean I would give into it though.

That is part of what it means to the right person in the right position. Taking time for a good cry should be done when the crisis is finished. Not during the middle of it when you realize how incapable you are of doing what is required. The difference between the male MP that cried and Yingluck, is that his responsibilities were over when he broke down and surveyed the destruction. Her job is just beginning.

Again, if you can't handle it, vacate the office. My life and my home right now depends on those idiots doing the job they need to do, and doing it professionally. If all she can do is cry then she deserves to be tossed into the flood to make way for someone with the ability to properly manage the resources available.

Nobody shows me sympathy in times of crisis, and I have no sympathy for these incompetents. It is your job. Suck it up and do it.

There are too many people "trying their best" in this crisis. Female or male makes no difference. When I go to the office, my partner doesn't give a dam_n about me "trying my best". He wants me to solve the problems. And if I can't solve the problems then I don't belong in the position. That is the way business works. I don't have the luxury of crying when stress comes on, although I admit I have felt like it sometimes when things have been particularly overwhelming. That doesn't mean I would give into it though.

That is part of what it means to the right person in the right position. Taking time for a good cry should be done when the crisis is finished. Not during the middle of it when you realize how incapable you are of doing what is required. The difference between the male MP that cried and Yingluck, is that his responsibilities were over when he broke down and surveyed the destruction. Her job is just beginning.

Again, if you can't handle it, vacate the office. My life and my home right now depends on those idiots doing the job they need to do, and doing it professionally. If all she can do is cry then she deserves to be tossed into the flood to make way for someone with the ability to properly manage the resources available.

Nobody shows me sympathy in times of crisis, and I have no sympathy for these incompetents. It is your job. Suck it up and do it.

:o The poor dear :lol: She has to check in with Dubai first to see if she can throw herself into the floods. The incompentance is not Amazing. It was fully expected when this lot were brought and paid for into office.

Question?

Why do other major and trustworthy news networks such as the BBC news, Aljazeera English news, International Herald Tribune and Reuters, give the impression not to agree with Thailand’s current Prime Minister and her subordinates comments on the flood situation in and around Bangkok?

Thai Government officials are advising “The government should issue a state of Emergency for Bangkok and the rest of Thailand.” This kind of reminds me of Edward John Smith, the Captain of RMS Titanic.

Furthermore, Thailand's government, flood relief programs in the Northern part of Thailand – giving people a bottle of water and a bag of rice, then smiling and saying too them, “Goodbye”

ust yesterday, as I was going to BangRak. Water was coming up out of the drain covers on the sidewalks, just to spill the water back into a street drain. Along the way to BangRak, I noticed shops building short walls in front of their store fronts, using brick and mortar to safeguard their business, not sand bags.

If a flood is going to happen, then be truthful and honest to the people and say to them. “Prepare for the worse!” It’s a way for nature to keep a balance.

29dheh1.jpg

In Prachachat Tooragit, Yingluk was asked about the photo, and denied crying. She said she couldn't remember exactly what caused the facial expression, but it may have been snapped at the time she was fiddling with one of the microphone cables. The Thai Director General of the Irrigation Department who was in the helicopter at the time, also confirmed this.

http://www.prachachat.net/news_detail.php?newsid=1318594519&grpid=09&catid=no

http://www.matichon.co.th/news_detail.php?newsid=1318596638&grpid=01&catid=&subcatid=

Edited by katana

PM caught crying due to stress from flooding crisis :blink:

554000013880001.JPEG

post-116788-0-92712400-1318579455_thumb.

House Speaker John Boehner sorrowfully tweets, can't you fools give the poor girl a break!

It will never happen at this British dominated forum. They still miss their Oxford boy!

Well I, for one, am one Britisher who finds this Oxford boy a poor advertisement for the Oxford establishment, at least his classmate Boris is good for a laugh.