Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tide prediction at BKK harbour for next 6 days.

It will influence the water level of Chao Phraya

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EASYTIDE/EasyTide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=6882A&PredictionLength=7

note, the height of the protective wall is 2.5m? :

pls note this is a PREDICTION.

I wonder if the graphs are in proper ratio? - If so it looks like the river level will be above the walls f0r 5-6 hours every day until end of this month and likelywise 4-5 days into next months. If so - looks more like two huge waterfronts will be splashing against each other right in the center of downtown Bangkok.

My SIL lives in Wang Thong Lang. She just got 80 bags of sand delivered at B70 a bag. Normal price is B30, I guess. Some of these guys are making a killing.

I live in Wang Thong Lang and can imagine a rush on sandbags now because sofar very few local places appeared to have owners ever heard about any immanent flood.

My SIL lives in Wang Thong Lang. She just got 80 bags of sand delivered at B70 a bag. Normal price is B30, I guess. Some of these guys are making a killing.

They were asking 120 baht today in our area , we got them for 80 Baht in the end because we took a truckload.there's not many left

If you live in the Sukhumvit area anywhere along BTS i have put together a detailed map of ground elevations which is based mostly on Google Earth data. You can find this at villageinthecity.com. The small version on the home page gives you the general idea. Click on the link Bangkok Flood on the upper right to see the detailed version.

Tomorrow i will try to put together a forecast of flood depths for this coming weekend using this map which i hope will be helpful to those living in this area.

Swelters

They were asking 120 baht today in our area , we got them for 80 Baht in the end because we took a truckload.there's not many left

Just bought near Bang Kapi two days ago, and they were charging 30 baht, and had a lot left.

But it might be too far to travel for sand...

Just bought near Bang Kapi two days ago, and they were charging 30 baht, and had a lot left.

But it might be too far to travel for sand...

Where in Bangkapi? 5.28am and still dry on Krungthep Kreetha, Bangkapi

That's outrageous mad.gif

We got them for free and delivered at home, two weeks ago, in Nonthaburi.

Tide prediction at BKK harbour for next 6 days.

It will influence the water level of Chao Phraya

http://easytide.ukho...dictionLength=7

note, the height of the protective wall is 2.5m? :

pls note this is a PREDICTION.

I wonder if the graphs are in proper ratio? - If so it looks like the river level will be above the walls f0r 5-6 hours every day until end of this month and likelywise 4-5 days into next months. If so - looks more like two huge waterfronts will be splashing against each other right in the center of downtown Bangkok.

I find this site while searching for the tide info for Thailand myself.

Indeed, according to this, and if these figures are correct for towards weekend, it would spill over at high tides.

I don't want to paint alarmist view, but once flooded, water will stay for a while as Bangkok / this area is so flat.

Hope these predictions are wrong.

That's exactly what I read somewhere. Can't remember if it was Bangkok Post or here but they say we could see a "reversal" of water-flow in the river.

Edited by petedk

That's exactly what I read somewhere. Can't remember if it was Bangkok Post or here but they say we could see a "reversal" of water-flow in the river.

The data should be all correct. I attached some data from the hydrographical institute of the thai navy, what height they expect at the army base in Bangkok. This should also include waves and whatever. That looks a lot worse than anyone might think, but I somehow cant believe that it will hit so hard how it looks -

I guess there would be more exact warnings.

In any case, good luck for us all :)

post-143090-0-85761000-1319588788_thumb.

Anyone go through asok / prom pong area this evening? They were sending only 1 sky train per 4/5 mins which resulted in a 'people' flood. Nightmarish

I'm planning on taking a taxi there from Union Mall about 4:00 a.m. tomorrow. The Villa Supermarket there is open 24 hours, and I'm hoping that Villa and other farang supermarkets won't be as hard hit by the panic buying. I can report back on Rachada-Pisek and Sukhumvit between Asoke & Phrom Pong then.

I left shortly before 6:00 a.m. from Union Mall to Villa Supermarket (Soi 33-ish) on Sukhumvit.

Traffic was fine. There was no sign of flooding.

The only clue that something was amiss was the sandbags in front of Villa.

Farang canned goods like Hormel chili were gone (or I couldn't find it). Local beans were in stock. Two liter bottles of milk were on hand, as were small bottles of drinking yoghurt and lots of cheese and the pricey sliced meats. And, of course, Villa sells alcohol at any time of day.

Skytrain seemed normal, and the subway seemed a little less crowded from Sukhumvit to Phaholyothin.

The ATM at the P H MRT still had cash.

Internet banking payments and transfers (with Siam Commercial Bank and Bangkok Bank) all have gone through as scheduled.

I'll check on Tesco Lad Prao and Tops (Central Lad Prao and Union Mall) and other Villas (Rachoyothin & Ari). Villa Soi 8 on Phahon Yothin might be better stocked because it's not near BTS and it just seems that most people would go to Ari now.

The data should be all correct. I attached some data from the hydrographical institute of the thai navy, what height they expect at the army base in Bangkok. This should also include waves and whatever. That looks a lot worse than anyone might think, but I somehow cant believe that it will hit so hard how it looks -

I guess there would be more exact warnings.

In any case, good luck for us all :)

post-143090-0-85761000-1319588788_thumb.

Not to be overly dramatic, but this is beginning to sound like some sort of inland tsunami.

3.78m? :blink:

Oh sh!t...

Yes but from previous days it seems you can subtract 1.1 m. Yesterday and the day before the peak in the table was around 1.1 meter higher than the reports indicated once the water got in. So 2.6 - 2.7 meter seem to be realistic.

Anyone go through asok / prom pong area this evening? They were sending only 1 sky train per 4/5 mins which resulted in a 'people' flood. Nightmarish

I'm planning on taking a taxi there from Union Mall about 4:00 a.m. tomorrow. The Villa Supermarket there is open 24 hours, and I'm hoping that Villa and other farang supermarkets won't be as hard hit by the panic buying. I can report back on Rachada-Pisek and Sukhumvit between Asoke & Phrom Pong then.

I left shortly before 6:00 a.m. from Union Mall to Villa Supermarket (Soi 33-ish) on Sukhumvit.

Farang canned goods like Hormel chili were gone (or I couldn't find it). Local beans were in stock. Two liter bottles of milk were on hand, as were small bottles of drinking yoghurt and lots of cheese and the pricey sliced meats. And, of course, Villa sells alcohol at any time of day.

Skytrain seemed normal, and the subway seemed a little less crowded from Sukhumvit to Phaholyothin.

Internet banking payments and transfers (with Siam Commercial Bank and Bangkok Bank) all have gone through as scheduled.

I'll check on Tesco Lad Prao and Tops (Central Lad Prao and Union Mall) and other Villas (Rachoyothin & Ari). Villa Soi 8 on Phahon Yothin might be better stocked because it's not near BTS and it just seems that most people would go to Ari now.

I was in Villa Ari yesterday at 2pm. Most of the usual stuff had sold out. There was no water (apart from small bottles of Perrier). I managed, however, to get sliced bread (the expensive French bakery brand). Cornflakes and Frosties none. I bought the last 10 cans of Schweppes tonic. Some types of Campbell's soups had completely gone. Generally, stocks were very low, and the place was busy with "panic-buying". Of course, there was plenty of wine.

Edited by pauleddy

Oh sh!t...

Yes but from previous days it seems you can subtract 1.1 m. Yesterday and the day before the peak in the table was around 1.1 meter higher than the reports indicated once the water got in. So 2.6 - 2.7 meter seem to be realistic.

Sure its not going to be that bad. The tides are measured at the sea and wont go fully up river else they would have this problem every time.

Here in Bang Yai / Bang Bua Thong the water seems to have stayed at the same level. I saw loads of it rushing to BKK though. When standing on a road (now river) the water as moving quite fast at places.

If the water stays here for a few more days at the same level then that means in a few days Bangkok will have had its worst too. Bangkok has good pumps so problems should be resolved there faster then here.

I am happy already no rise for 1,5 days.

Oh sh!t...

Sure its not going to be that bad. The tides are measured at the sea and wont go fully up river else they would have this problem every time.

Here in Bang Yai / Bang Bua Thong the water seems to have stayed at the same level. I saw loads of it rushing to BKK though. When standing on a road (now river) the water as moving quite fast at places.

If the water stays here for a few more days at the same level then that means in a few days Bangkok will have had its worst too. Bangkok has good pumps so problems should be resolved there faster then here.

Good to see that all is ok with you, rob. And I really hope you're right about Bangkok. Have you been able to see what it is like in the area surrounding your moobahn?

------------------

Sorry, you're wrong about Tesco Lad Prao and such.

It may not be obvious to someone living in the "farang ghetto" areas of Sukhumvit, but there are lot of Thais living outside the ghetto.

In short, you will find some items in Tesco, Tops, Big C...etc in Lad Phrao, but mostly the shelves are bare and other items limited to one per ccustomer only.

My Thai family has already been there,

:D

Oh sh!t...

Good to see that all is ok with you, rob. And I really hope you're right about Bangkok. Have you been able to see what it is like in the area surrounding your moobahn?

I have been on the road to Big King, a shopping expedition to the big C. We used various trucks and had to wade through waist deep water. I have seen floating cars.. water racing to BKK (direction quite a strong current). People everywhere were helping each other a constant stream of trucks on the road carrying supplies and boats. We got multiple boats in our Muh Bahn.

Trucks take anyone who want to go anywhere for free. People are nice and helping.

I for one am happy the water stopped rising here (for now). Now my damages are substantial but not catastrophic. I wish others a similar fate (as in i hope it wont hit you guys to hard, not as in i wish you all flood).

Once the water comes the worst part is the ever rising water. You stuff you can't move up you have to put on stones (try to find some of those) and then your constantly worrying if its enough.

Don't think you can get the water out, this is only the case if you have a pump & sandbags. Sandbags alone wont do the trick.

The best of luck all of you.

Water in the house rose another 75mm overnight. The furniture that we put up on chairs is now getting wet. Things are reasonably comfortable upstairs at the moment, but that will change if power and water gets cut.

On the bright side..............I'm going to attempt to make a loaf of bread in my breadmaker. First time in 4years.

Happy Days

Rangsit Market this morning.

The water level has gone down by about 2cm. I hope this will continue.

post-6428-0-68376800-1319598522_thumb.jp

This means BKK is taking the water.. voluntarily or involuntarily. You just can't stop it. It will go up again if someone puts in a dyke downstream of you.Then when that dyke fails your levels go down. I seen it happen here.

Water in the house rose another 75mm overnight. The furniture that we put up on chairs is now getting wet. Things are reasonably comfortable upstairs at the moment, but that will change if power and water gets cut.

On the bright side..............I'm going to attempt to make a loaf of bread in my breadmaker. First time in 4years.

Happy Days

Those are big increases.. and like you said you can survive until they cut the power. That or the water pump (the one pumping the water to your shower ect) giving up.

I wish you best of luck I know how you feel.. worrying how much further it will go up and what you can do to save more of your stuff.

If you have some plastic bags you could put the stuff in it (if it is not too big).

Good luck.