Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live on Phutthamonthon Sai 2, Thawi Watthana and the tap water is really bad.

Many of my friends in the area complain of the same thing.

If your tap water is still clear and odor free I suggest hoarding it, it can only get worse.

I am not sure if it is only my area or all over Bangkok.

Just come back from BKK through Pinklao / Arum Amarin area. Getting a little bit naughty there now. If it rises any more it won't be accessible at all. Pinklao bridge already closed and at the foot of Rama VIII bridge water is building.

Is Rama VIII passable?

If your tap water is still clear and odor free I suggest hoarding it, it can only get worse.

Thavee Wattana Rd. Soi 9

Water is so bad that I am not sure if it is safe for taking shower. I took shower wife decided to better smell and be healthy

The highest tides in the northern Gulf of Thailand will be Saturday 7AM through Tuesday at almost the same time, but that is not the time frame for the impact on the out-flowing water and regions at points upriver. The tidal impact is realized inland up to six hours after high tide, and creeps. The areas in the south nearest the river mouths will have the highest impact from the tidal surge, as tidal currents and the river currents will be fighting each other and thereby flood (having no where else to go). This means that the areas upriver for 10-30 Km will have higher flood rates than the north several hours after high tide, when the outflow has a higher strength than the in-flowing tide and the tide is pushed back out to sea. A hydrologist could literally bore you to death explaining why there is so much margin for error about how a tide affects a flooded river delta on an alluvial plain like Bangkok, but the long and short is that where floods impact geographically in these circumstances is somewhat guesswork, and the brightest boys from MIT would tell you the same thing. There are too many variables in play, as the PM stated earlier . If we knew the exact heights of the flood walls at every point above ground and sea level, and knew the exact volume of water coming in and out of the rivers as modified by the pumping stations and portable pumps and the estimated tides, overlayed with an accurate topographical map, it would still be a best guess where it would be a puddle above such an altitude and where it would be inundated below that altitude. Science can only answer finite questions, and the variables here are almost on a Planck scale. Nonetheless, the areas flooded today will probably see it worse Sat-Tues, and nearby regions will also be affected, perhaps profoundly. If river barriers collapse, a likelihood, new regions would throw whole new variables into the mix and affect other areas south of the flow where the break occurs.

I live in Bang Bon. The Royal Roads here will act as dykes, but if overflowed will also act as water traps, and that is a real consideration for microorganisms and wildlife, including snakes that are less than friendly and mosquitoes who think all of us ferang are exotic cuisine.

This simply could not have happened at a worse time, being that the water from the north is colliding with what the Ozzies call a King Tide (when the sun and moon are on the same side of the world and make a very high tide). The northern monsoon water from Ayudayah and other points north is moving through Bangkok now and being channeled as intelligently as possible, and is on a collision course with the tide. Thonburi and Mahidol had a go today, and Sat-Tues will be a worse mess for them and probably me. The flood embankments on the west side of the Chao Praya are reinforced more than the east side, and water always takes the easier course, meaning my way.

My projections are based on facts as stated by the Thai government and external sources, and therefore have a wide margin of error. Throw whatever size grain of salt at it that makes you comfortable. I just want to help.

Just come back from BKK through Pinklao / Arum Amarin area. Getting a little bit naughty there now. If it rises any more it won't be accessible at all. Pinklao bridge already closed and at the foot of Rama VIII bridge water is building.

Is Rama VIII passable?

Up on the bridge itself is dry but the problem is the surrounding area trying to get to it. It was passable around 10.30pm this evening but if the water rises anymore in the next day or so I would say it's a no-no.

Edited by CockneyGit

Just traveled from cowboy to Sukhumvit 71

Not a drop.

I did pop into the local Tesco for some milk on the way home to find some woman fiercely guarding the few remaining melons. I wasn't even looking for melons, I was just wanting to pass through the aisle to get to the milk and stuff.

Alas, no man, woman or beast was allowed passage through the melon aisle and she was rather adamant about it. It appeared as though she was willing to defend said melons with her very life and soul.

Could have been completely unrelated to the floods of course, perhaps she just loves melons. I sagely chose passage through another aisle.

I got my milk

Edited by Moonrakers

No problems around Phrom Phong today , Emporium had a lot of customers and everything looked normal.

I was looking for Meji milk but it was empty so had to buy that terrible Dairyhome milk instead,

Sukhumvit Rd all the way up to Bang Na , traffic as normal.

The MWA did announce a few days back that it couldn't maintain city water supplies. My understanding was they started closing off their system while it was still full of potable water as sealing it with potable water in the pipes and ducts means the contaminated flood water would be kept out and make the post-flood clean out easier. However, it is unreasonable to expect that their system is 100% sealed so getting waste bins and filling them up with potable tap water (while there still is some) is a smart move... as suggested about 5 days ago.

If you live in a development that isn't plumbed into the MWA system, you should be doubly aware of how vulnerable your water supply is.

MWA denied tap water shortage, assuring quality for household use

BANGKOK, 26 October 2011 (NNT)-The Flood Relief Operations Center (FROC) said the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA) denied rumors that the MWA would stop producing tap water and that the water would not be clean enough for household consumption.

According to the MWA, the water produced by the MWA is of good quality and toxin free even though it may have a faint odor or display a little bit of color. Residents are encouraged to boil the water before consuming to assure the water hygiene.

edited since MWA denies claims made a few days back re- water shortages. That was probably another desperate attempt to discredit the government.

Edited by NanLaew

My wife's family live in a moo-baan there. so just wondering as it had avoided water up until yesterday.

Roughly around

13°55'17.73"N

100°35'5.14"E

anybody know how deep the water is there?

Anybody have any update on the situation in Don Muang?

Wet. So wet that you don't want to be there right now.

Edited by steffi

My wife's family live in a moo-baan there. so just wondering as it had avoided water up until yesterday.

Don Muang district is big. Please specify where exactly the Moobaan is and maybe somebody living nearby can give you details.

Roughly around

13°55'17.73"N

100°35'5.14"E

Pracha-uthit Road

in Si-Gan

Don Muang district is big. Please specify where exactly the Moobaan is and maybe somebody living nearby can give you details.

Edited by steffi

It's simple physics. The normal water level in the Chao Prya River at Chai net is 51 feet above sea level and it has to flow to the sea at 0 sea level. Chainet is flooded. Bangkok is between Chainet and the sea so the water will be there in the next couple of days if it isn't there yet. The water in my house in Bang Bua Thong was 1.5 meters last Wednesday and rising. Water doesn't run uphill unless you are a Thai poilitician and command it to do so!

Last night i saw messages posted from the few people around Watcharaphol. I live in that area near the 5 way junction, but abandoned ship already one week ago as luckily I hve a condo downtown.

Any updates from the Watcharopholians would be greatly appreciated. Has the water arrived yet?

Good luck to all of you and especially my fellow Watcharapolians.